Janet

Action needed TODAY

Janet

This information has a limited window of effectiveness.  In short, you need to do something TODAY -- right away, in fact -- if you are in a position to make a difference on this subject. 

Apparently there's a new technology that allows companies to leave a voicemail on your phone without ringing your phone. One of the providers of this new 'service' has filed a petition with the FCC claiming that since there is no call, these voicemail messages should not have to follow the rules associated with Do Not Call lists. There will be no way to block these voicemail messages if the petition is accepted. 

Here is an article about this from The New York Times: No, Your Phone Didn't Ring

It is possible to comment on the rule change and express your opposition (or support?) to this rule change. Understand that if you do this, your name and address will be available via public records (but not your phone number, thankfully). I used my non-primary email address (and if you don't have a secondary email address to use when you are likely to get spam, I suggest you get one). 

You can see existing comments on this page: FCC Filings for Docket 02-278

You can file an express comment on this page: ECFS Express Comments

The proceedings number is 02-278. 

Note: My intent for this post is to change the content regularly since the window of effectiveness closes. If you have other items that need action right away, post them in the comments. 

• LIKE/LOVE 9

Patty

Thanks, Janet! I must've missed your prior post, but I'll send a post card. Or four. Ha! 

Janet

Bumping topic: Ringless voicemail is upon us. 

P.S. A message to your senator or congressman might be useful as well.