Bobby

MMW - March 18, 2017 - Transcending Ego

42 posts in this topic

MMW - March 18, 2017 - Transcending Ego

Hello to each of you. We are here, now. We will begin.

Today we will discuss the concept of "Transcending Ego." We will discuss what this means and why it is relevant as a concept in our teaching.

Ego is different from Personality. Ego is a construct. It is a protector and is built purely from REACTIONS.

In our system, the most obvious elements of Ego are the Chief Features.

To address one's Chief Features is a to begin the transcendence of Ego.

However, there comes a moment for most of our students when the Chief Features seem to be dismantled, sometimes even absent entirely. Sometimes this is because the Chief Features become far more subtle and insidious, and sometimes this is because they are, in fact, no longer a factor.

Ego is also different from Chief Features.

Ego is not Personality and is not Chief Features, but both of these are deeply informed by Ego.

Ego is the part of you that sorts all of your experiences that come as a result of Reactions.

For a great deal of the life, Ego is hard at work because you do not start off with a great set of skills for conscious choice and conscious responsibility. This is something you must regain in each life.

Until you learn to own the responsibility of conscious choice, you tend to be a walking set of nerves bombarded by stimuli. Some part of you must do the work of processing this.

This is Ego.

Because Ego is focused on sorting reactions to experiences, it very easily gets hijacked by Chief Features, which are ruled by reaction and defense.

This is why Ego "gets a bad name" because it is traditionally understood as only hooked into Chief Features, or whatever other terms a system may use for describing the driving force of fear.

One of the reasons we decided to speak on this subject is because many of you do the hard work of dismantling and transforming your Chief Features and then you continue to feel "something" that is not quite explained by the dynamics of Chief Features, but does pose a problem in your sense of functioning freely.

This is because Ego remains in place and even as it is unhooked from the Chief Features, it is still hooked into everything you have ever stored from Reactions.

Reactions are sorted into 3 areas by your Ego: your Instinctive Center, your Moving Center, and your Emotional Center.

When the Ego sorts into your Instinctive Center, it could be said that this is your Unconscious Mind. This is where you store experiences that you deem require immediate defenses and protection from at all cost.

This is hooked into the core of Chief Features.

When Ego sorts into your Moving Center, it could be said that this is your Destructive Mind, or the part of you that further reacts with defensive measures that do more harm than good.

This is the reactionary part of you that creates unending loops of reaction that creates a strong circuit between the Moving and Instinctive, or the Unconscious and Destructive Minds.

When you take on the work of dismantling Chief Features, this is where most of your work is focused.

This can take lifetimes to truly grasp and many never reach a place in a lifetime that is free from this loop until the later Soul Ages.

So once you are Mature and Old and you are able to address this earlier and earlier in the lifetime, you are start to face the territory where Ego sorts your reactionary experiences into the Emotional Center.

This is where things begin to be quite slippery and tricky and a brand new challenge for each lifetime.

When Ego sorts into the Emotional Center, it could be said that this is your Permissive Mind. This is where you store experiences that you think define you, that make you feel good, that feel compelling and even "inspiring," and are very, very, very, very, very, seductive in their appeal and place in your life.

This is where you find yourself entrapped by behaviors, but not particularly bothered by them because there is some sort of stimulating pay off.

This is where, for example, "love" gets defined in terms of attachment, territorialism, jealousy, envy, ownership, "passionate" and "romantic," with many finding that if these terms are not a part of intimacy then it must not be Love.

This is where laziness is permitted, and compartmentalization is justified, and "outrage" is often fueled by.

This is the part of you who permits you to "be who you are" even if this is clearly confining and constraining or even paining you.

The Ego, itself, directs from your Intellectual Center.

The Ego is doing nothing "bad" or wrong, and it will always be a part of you. It has to be. It has too much life by the time you realize it is there.

It is a construct, so it can be completely obliterated, but most cannot function when this happens.

To address the slippery and tricky world of the Permissive Mind is often a practice in futility. To dive into this "world" of definitions and permissions and justifications can be seen in the struggles of Sisyphus.

Sisyphus is the story of the Permissive Mind and its exasperating and exhausting punishment for addressing it.

We share this with you to validate its challenge, but not to dissuade you. It is challenging. It is nearly impossible to undo the patterns instilled by the Permissive Mind, but it can be done.

And this is where "transcending the ego" comes into play as the solution.

You may not be able to dive deep into the engraved patterns that have been permitted, but you can rise above these, so to speak, or transcend them.

This work to transcend Ego is most easily done by paying attention to key reactions in your daily life:

AVOIDANCE, ADDICTIONS, REPETITIONS, and DISAPPOINTMENTS.

All of these reactions are easily justified and often "make sense," but may be keeping you locked from creating or remembering who you truly are beyond the confines of Ego.

We are not speaking of such things as avoiding being hit by a car, or the favorite pastry, or the routines of work, or the dislike of a movie.

We are speaking of those things you know quite well are reactions from you that you permit, but subtly know do not serve who you are.

Each of you will experience all of these across the lifetime, of course, but most of you will find one or two of these reactions as a foundation to your continued anchoring into a temporal or false identity.

Personality lives on beyond the body, even as it is born of the biology of the body. However, Ego dies with the body. This is another reason it is often overlooked as a priority to address.

And we can say the same to you: if you wish not to address this level of Ego and practice transcendence, you will live. This is why it is not at the core of our teaching. If the Chief Features are dismantled, that is most of the work of freeing oneself from any chains in a lifetime.

But for those looking to explore further and to experiment with fairly unknown territory beyond your comfortable identity, you can begin this path.

The Key Reactions can be helpful for your catching yourself and then making a conscious choice in RESPONSE to the reaction, which leads to a path of transcendence.

But in addition to that core practice in your every day life, you may also wish to experiment with two other paths of transcendence:

ONE - "psychedelic drugs" or any natural drug that alters the perception of the user in a way that dismantles Ego for a period of time. This path allows one to directly experience this state and gives one a seed within that can be nurtured while in a daily frame of mind as the opportunities arise.

This path is one that can be quite effective, but it can also become its own challenge since it can become addictive. In addition to this, the dismantling of Ego in such a way can cause the Ego to reinforce itself in its daily state, creating a cycle of drug use that never truly frees you.

It can also generate deep grief as you experience the dance between loss of beloved Ego and then loss of pursued transcendence, back and forth as you explore this path.

This path is best pursued with guidance, or with great periods of time between that allows for you to do the conscious work necessary to consciously choose transcendence.

TWO - meditation - we know that many of our students are not particularly drawn to meditation, but if the appeal of transcendence is there, then the work of meditation [is] necessary.

Meditation can be of any style, from the movement of the body to the stillness of the body, whichever feels most appealing, as long as there is conscious focus.

Meditation is a state that uses thought to reach a state of no-thought.

This is why it is often suggested to focus on breath, or the flame of a candle, because you cannot stop your thoughts, but you can focus them on something that is nothing.

Start with 3 minutes and do this randomly for 30 days, then expand to 5 minutes for 30 days. There is no rush.

As the Ego resides in the Intellect, this practice could be seen as a way to give your Ego a rest, not as a means to destroy or put it to sleep.

The more rest your Ego enjoys, the less it feels compelled to protect you in ways that require no protection.

WORKSHOP - What we will ask of each of you now is to look at the list of Key Reactions and see if you know immediately which one or two are at the heart of your Permissive Mind that keeps you anchored and distracted from Transcendence. You may answer as you wish.

Janet: AVOIDANCE

Maureen: ADDICTION

Bobby: Avoidance/dissapointment

ClaireC: DISAPPOINTMENTS.

VIP: AVOIDANCE and DISAPPOINTMENTS, for the permissive mind specifically

DianHB: Disappointments - I would've added Avoidance up until recently, but the speech workshop I did broke through a lot of it.

Johanne: avoidance and disappointment

Though you may have more than one, and relate to all, it is only ONE that you need use as your Key Factor.

This is because choosing only one reduces the stress of this path, and focusing on one helps strengthen any efforts that may randomly arise to address other areas.

This is vitally important: the path to transcendence is STRESS-FREE.

That may seem ironic when the emphasis is on addressing reactions that may be trapping you, but these are trappings that you "like."

They are comforting and familiar, but you know they are trappings.

If you are in any state of mind to consider altering how you respond to these key factors, then you are more than likely already in a state of mind that is looking for that "something" that you know was missing from your sense of freedom and function in your daily life.

ClaireC: Michael, can you explain that further? How does one "like" being disappointed? or do you mean we like our response to being disappointed?

ClaireC: Never mind. I misunderstood the question, that it relates to the Permissive Mind. I will change that then to Avoidance.

The Disappointment we speak of here is one that is fueled by righteousness.

There are two ways that one can be disappointed by something even as simple as a film. One way is to truly acknowledge that it fell short of your expectations. This is healthy. The other way is to measure it against one's sense of righteousness and this can feel good because expressing disappointment can feel right and shore up one's sense of self.

ClaireC: Like Criticism.

Criticism can be constructive or destructive, so it would be the destructive criticism.

Maureen: May I ask a general question pertaining to transcending ego and how it may work with Chief Features?

Of course.

Maureen: Michael, does transcending ego have anything to do with exploring the 4 other realms of Chief Features? If this is too large a question for today I will save it for another time. I’m just very curious. You said this to me about the other 4 realms:

MEntity: It could be said that a Chief Feature affects a relationship realm of some sort, with the Primary affecting the relationship between the self and the world; the Secondary affecting the relationship between the self and other; the Tertiery affecting the relationship between the self and body.

MEntity: A quaternary realm would be the synthesis of these three realms into what might be considered your relationship between self and self, or your internal monads and self-karmic realm.

MEntity: A quinary realm would be a new sort of triad that is the realm of relationship between self and the past/memory; A senary realm would be the realm of relationship between the self and the future/imagination; A septenary realm would be between the self and the present/consciousness; and a new syntheses from this triad would be in the realm of relationship between self and soul.

MEntity: If one were to visualize this, we can offer a simplistic image of a cone that is wider at the base, with the funnel toward the middle of a Being, representing the lower triad and its synthesis, while an inverted cone, wider at the top, would be the higher triad and its synthesis.

MEntity: The meeting ground, then, is "you."

MEntity: We share these "realms" because they are areas that a Chief Feature could also affect, and do, but usually in much more fleeting ways.

MEntity: Because the realms beyond the synthesis of self and self are more "spiritual," or at least less tangible, the effects are far more fleeting and slippery.

Yes, it is all intrinsically connected and we can elaborate upon this in further exchanges.

Maureen: Thank you.

WORKSHOP - When considering your primary Key Factor, how daunting or encouraging do you feel your path to transcendence is ahead of you?

Maueen: Daunting. It's to do with sleep resistance.

DianeHB: After the comment about Disappointments, I'm not sure it's my Key Factor. I would say it comes up from time to time but isn't a defining thing for me. Avoidance was more likely a Key Factor up until recently, but doesn't seem to be anymore. I'm having a hard time pinpointing one now.

Bobby: Well... there ARE other lifetimes :)

VIP: I'm still not sure whether I chose the "correct" key factor - I first chose avoidance because it's "what I do", but then I realized that addictions are what I do that give me the kind of fake inspiration associated with the Permissive mind.

Janet: I think I can get past avoidance, but I have a question about meditation in connection with transcending this.

Johanne: encouraging even if it is slowww

ClaireC: I will meditate on this :)

Maureen, we can work further with you in new contexts to help with this struggle.

Maureen: Sounds good!

VIP: So in those terms, thinking about transcending Avoidance is very daunting due to fear - thinking about transcending Addictions is also daunting, but less so, because it "only" involves facing myself, and not another person or people.

Diane, relatively speaking, you are nearing Transcendence. It has been a priority for you for 5 years, even if you have not realized it, though we think you are quite aware.

DianeHB: Yes, I realize it. I've been doing the psychedelic method for several years, too, without realizing what it was.

ViP, you cannot choose a wrong factor, but you can choose one that seems "most fun" to tackle. The approach is more satisfying when done with enthusiasm and curiosity than as a bewildering or overwhelming task.

Bobby, we concur.

Janet, what is your question?

Janet: I often 'zone out' into a no-thought state without trying and recently learned a methodology for consciously achieving this state. But what is the benefit of a state of no-thought in connection to transcending ego? I'm not sure how it helps Ego to just have the rest -- unless it's the timing of the meditation that is important? Break the cycle of thoughts/reactions? In terms of countering avoidance, should there be a decision made ahead of time on the 'purpose' or 'focus' of the meditation -- not to force thought but to allow for whatever happens?

Janet: It seems connected to allowing for intuition.

Let us be clear that there is a difference between "zoning out" and "conscious focus." Zoning out is diffuse and borderline sleep, whereas conscious focus, or meditation, is a wakefulness that is different from your waking state.

Janet: Ah — I meant in terms of intense focus on a project. I call it logic land.

The benefit of this meditative state is that the Ego LEARNS. It usually has no moment for learning or evolving because it is so automated. It works. It does what it is supposed to do. It is left alone.

Janet: I see. That makes sense.

The meditative state for the EGO could be likened to a person who works very hard finally being able to sit down and enjoy that which he or she has been working so hard for in the first place.

Most Egos do not get this opportunity and spend lives as slaves to the body, so to speak.

Most importantly, the Ego learns that it will not die if it rests.

So two things are happening here: the ego learns that it can enjoy life as a PART of the biology, not just a protector of it, embracing true pleasure over sorting stimulation, and it learns that it will not die from too much pleasure.

There is no need to be specific to a Key Factor when meditating. Simply meditate. Find a meditation that works for you. The benefit will show up in your moments of reaction where you suddenly remember that you have a choice.

ClaireC: Mindfulness Meditation is very popular. Do you concur, Michael?

Yes, Mindful Meditation is quite popular, but we dare describe what we suggest as Mindless Meditation. What is often considered "mindful" is simply more to think about. What we speak of is reducing thought to a singular focus that is not concerned with meaning or "mindfulness," but the very simple state of existence.

ClaireC: Thank you for that explanation. That is very helpful.

Yes, VIP.

VIP: What is the relationship, if any, between the Unconscious, Destructive, and Permissive minds, and the "inner child"?

VIP: I realize there isn't really a definition of "inner child" but hopefully my meaning can be seen.

VIP: (also, if the "workshop" part for today wasn't done yet, I'd like to follow up with the rest of it with you in another session later on.)

We would define the "inner child" as the inherent and persistent innocence of an individual that cannot be destroyed, but can only be denied or buried. The Ego and its sorting of experiences is all about protecting that inner child. The irony is that it is often the Ego that buries or denies the inner child.

VIP: Wonderful definition.

VIP: I did think that "innocence" would be at the heart of it.

The workshop for this discussion has already been in progress. Each you may find what we covered here to be a bit familiar, not necessarily in terms, but in the back of your minds.

We looked to this workshop as a way to fill in this undercurrent of motivation so that you had words for it, direction, and tactics, if you choose to harness the momentum.

ClaireC: I had decided to start meditating again. Thank you for the inspiration, Michael. :)

Each of you present here, and many of our students, are on this path, even if slowly, even if daunted, even if without knowing it.

It was always going to be your "next step" in this life.

Those of you on this path are more concerned with your fluidity and power of choice over your attachment to a static identity.

In a month where the emphasis is on pleasure, it is a beneficial time for considering this insight and practice.

We must conclude here for today. Transcending Ego is not necessary, or urgent. It is an option. It may not change your life, but it can change how you create and choose your way through life.

Good day to each of you. Goodbye, for now.

24 people like this

I wholeheartedly recommend the judicious use of psychedelics, if one has access to the drugs and a trusted guide. I have blogs posted on a couple of the experiences I've had over the last few years. I used the psychedelic method naturally -- My trusted guides were Tex during the experiences and Michael, who helped me understand them and the work I had to do to get there on my own. I would go many months to a year before I felt like/had the chance to do the drugs again.

I think the advantage to using psychedelics is that you get to experience what's possible beyond who you currently are. I would suddenly realize I was capable of being something much better (in my opinion) than who I was on a regular basis, and I wanted to be there more or less permanently. I can see how without external guidance, it's easy to think that state is only accessible with the drug. With meditation only, it would've been easier for me to give up because I couldn't see where I was going or wouldn't think it was possible for me to get there, or I was just fine where I was. Every time I did psychedelics (a total of 5 times over the last 3-4 years), I would have a breakthrough, whether big or small. My MDMA experience from last year had a huge impact -- I was so inspired by the loving person I could be on MDMA that I wanted to do whatever it took to get there. I observed how I habitually pushed people away through silent judgments, and I made an effort to stop doing that. I did MDMA again a few months after that, and I felt more loving on the drug but not that drastically different -- because I had changed and moved closer to that state. I feel like I'm even closer now, after the most recent breakthrough and having worked through my emotional ups and downs while unemployed.

Could I have gotten there without drugs? Probably, because personal growth is a passion for me anyway (I use Growth the get out of Inertia - enthusiastically), but I think being able to experience where I was going and being inspired by it accelerated the process.

One thing to note on psychedelics is that I only ever did it with someone very close to me who was capable of seeing all of me, not by myself and not at parties, etc. So my experiences were integral to having someone like that with me. Not sure what you could do if you had to do it by yourself. I imagine it'd be really helpful to do it with the support of a therapist, as well.

http://our.truthloveenergy.com/blogs/entry/697-my-first-lsd-trip-with-michaels-comments/

http://our.truthloveenergy.com/blogs/entry/1032-mdma-experience-and-false-personality/

Edited by DianeHB
14 people like this

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

MEntity: It may not change your life, but it can change how you create and choose your way through life.

By the way, this quote is accurate but a total understatement. Changing how you create and choose your way through life does change your life, less so in the short term, but significantly over the longer term. If you hadn't seen me for ten years, you wouldn't recognize me now compared to who I was then. 

12 people like this

This is just my opinion for me, but I say no to drugs.  My personal experience with drugs my whole life is my reason for the bias, as I have witnessed the destruction they can do. I'm really no fan of escaping anything either. I figure if it's meant to happen for me, it's going to happen sober. I understand others choosing to try it, and am not judging those who do, but my life experience up to this point has made me 100% against any drug used to get high or escape.  I do however like meditation very much, so I'll go with that one. 

8 people like this

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is just my opinion for me, but I say no to drugs.  My personal experience with drugs my whole life is my reason for the bias, as I have witnessed the destruction they can do. I'm really no fan of escaping anything either. I figure if it's meant to happen for me, it's going to happen sober. I understand others choosing to try it, and am not judging those who do, but my life experience up to this point has made me 100% against any drug used to get high or escape.  I do however like meditation very much, so I'll go with that one. 

I would not recommend it to those prone to Addiction, but for those who aren't, it can be an effective tool. People can use food and behaviors to escape, too. Addiction is more a result of early trauma and emotional neglect than it is about drugs. 

10 people like this

Wow this is a powerful workshop. Maureen, that was a beautiful addition to the workshop, it definitely opens up new areas for us to learn and explore. Diane, congrats on nearly transcending :)

7 people like this

Thanks for the reminder @BrianW.  For those wanting more information on the 4 other Chief Feature realms, beyond the 3 that we primarily work with, here is a link to my blog. Chief Feature Exploration and 4 Other Realms. I would love to study/explore this more with Michael and with other students. Perhaps we could do a Michael Speaks or a workshop (MMW) on these 4 other CF realms to see how they show up in our lives and what we can do to transform or transcend them.

Edited by Maureen
9 people like this

Dance party at the gathering now changed to mushroom party?

7 people like this

" we are here now, Maureen please divvy up the molly....we are about to get...tra....nnzzz..eee...NnN..DENTAL......"

6 people like this

9 minutes ago, Stickyflames said:

" we are here now, Maureen please divvy up the molly....we are about to get...tra....nnzzz..eee...NnN..DENTAL......"

Matt is never gonna show up at the gathering now. 🙄

8 people like this

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Matt, I have always been such a prude where drugs are concerned. My prudishness towards drugs mostly comes from hearing countless confessions from people who " cured their anxiety" , " became one with life" ...but seem to be a complete mess when they are not on drugs and seem to believe the drug itself was in fact the answer to getting into that state and is the ONLY answer to getting to that state. As time has passed, I have been lucky to run into another spectrum of humans who did not speak about drugs as " the path" but instead as an experience, a guidance. Assistance on the real path. There is a lot more that goes into addiction than drugs alone. A lot more. I would not recommend drugs to anyone who does not have a great support system of stable others. Especially someone who suffers from depression on a regular basis, who does not have a sense of self beyond that depression. I have dabbled a couple times with mdma, mushrooms, acid, and even meth in one of my more foolish moments of life. I loved walking around and confidently talking to others , bouncin back and fourth between conversations and genuinely being interested in what others had to say to me. I loved the affection I felt for others. These were valid experiences. Michael seems to be reffering to drugs that are not harmful to us though. Shrooms being a good example...which has no disastrous fallbacks unless used as escapism. I think drugs can be a beautiful tool for those who really do not have an idea of what is possible for them without fear always on the backburner. For myself, I am not too curious about exploring them much further. I have my vision of what is possible for me. I aim towards that as best I can. I also fail towards that as best as I can. If one is truly lacking in vision in that department, then go for it...chomp those shroomies.

reading this transcript reminded me of those couple of stroke victims I read about who experienced complete loss of their " ego" after losing functioning in that part of the brain. It made me wonder if some future sci fi scenario could occur where we just simply " quieted the ego" via some implant. These stroke victims also could not function at all during their days because they needed that part of their brain for planning, defining their life and communicating....so....it may be a nice episode of black mirror atleast.

Edited by Stickyflames
8 people like this

It's about more than addiction for me. I could use with no issue I believe. I feel like the sober me is the real me in the physical plane. The very idea that drugs make you into something different, is the main reason I'm against it. I have no doubt the experiences could be and are great for some people, but it's important to me to stay myself and figure out life sober. I don't even drink alcohol, so I know I'm a minority with this stuff. I'm an odd duck. Thinking on this now though, maybee it's the fact that i joined the military at 17 and became a firefighter at 21 is the reason i never got interested in any drugs too.  I have been getting drug tested since i was 17 years old, so i never really had a chance to rebel or be crazy in my life, or experiment with that kind of stuff.  Either way, i have no doubt that it could be a great time trying some mind altering stuff, but i plan on just hearing about it second hand for this lifetime.  

Diane, that was funny about the gathering. Too bad narcan doesn't work for mushrooms, I could have brought that, LoL. 

Edited by Matt
5 people like this

We actually thought about bringing MDMA to the last gathering -- it seemed like a good idea while we were on it. 😒 But when I had some adverse physical effects (headaches and nausea for hours, likely from high blood pressure) and the recovery period was a week long, it was obvious that we couldn't take that chance with other people. I've had the worst time recovering from MDMA. Acid and mushrooms were benign in comparison (mushrooms being the easiest to recover from).

I was thinking that as a method to transcending ego, psychedelics has much more ups and downs than meditation, even though it can be an accelerated path. It requires more navigation and management.  I realized that that's actually why it appeals to me because I prefer psychological/internal adventures to adventures in the physical world. Travel and physical challenges don't do much for me, but I love overcoming internal obstacles. A psychedelic experience is like traveling through the Astral or the mind -- they even call it a trip. Meditation is the slow and steady path, and it bores me. 😛

Edited by DianeHB
4 people like this

Well, I'm going to chime in with a plug for meditation, perhaps because it's something I've only recently been able to do. The Monroe Institute course I took taught a methodology for first going into a state of mind awake/body asleep (or body very relaxed -- they call it Focus 10) and then counting up to a meditative state (they call it Focus 12, a state for accessing your higher self).

I found Focus 10 familiar and realized I use it quite a lot spontaneously when focusing on a project, but now I have a mechanism for getting there when desired. After several introductory guided sessions into Focus 10, we were able to set a shortcut -- just breathe in and think 10 and then exhale. It works once you know what the state feels like for you. 

When I have trouble going to sleep, I now count up to Focus 10 with attention to relaxing different parts of my body. Even if I'm still awake after the count, I'm very relaxed and it doesn't matter if I sleep or not -- but I'm usually asleep before long. 

The meditative state (Focus 12) was new to me, and I found it incredibly enjoyable. If this state is helpful to Ego, then I'm all for trying it more frequently now. I do find that the Monroe Institute hemi-sync recordings (which use binaural beats) are useful for maintaining this state. 

I wonder if inputs make a difference as far as which path you might choose. As an Artisan I have brain activity nearly 24/7 from all those inputs, so achieving the quiet of the Focus levels may be just what I need to regroup and be refreshed. 

9 people like this

My late brother did very careful LSD therapy with a person who had studied with the originators of it. I noticed a considerable change in him over the years. He did a number of other modalities as well.

I'd let you and Tex guide me on LSD.

I'm sorry I had to bow out of the Workshop yesterday. I was so exhausted I kept falling asleep and slept most of the day.

5 people like this

Troy posted this Q&A with Yuval Noah Harari on Facebook, and while reading it I was struck by how clear and conscious his thinking was, and how many of his ideas are similar to Michael's. He says he meditates daily, and I read elsewhere that he goes on a 2-month meditation retreat every year. I suspect that he has transcended his ego or is close to it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/19/yuval-harari-sapiens-readers-questions-lucy-prebble-arianna-huffington-future-of-humanity

@AnnH Tex's brother-in-law through his first wife did LSD with Timothy Leary when he was young. Although it wasn't careful at all as he took a mega-dose and was in and out of reality for two years. 😬

Edited by DianeHB
3 people like this

7 hours ago, DianeHB said:

We actually thought about bringing MDMA to the last gathering -- it seemed like a good idea while we were on it. 1f612.png But when I had some adverse physical effects (headaches and nausea for hours, likely from high blood pressure) and the recovery period was a week long, it was obvious that we couldn't take that chance with other people. I've had the worst time recovering from MDMA. Acid and mushrooms were benign in comparison (mushrooms being the easiest to recover from).

I was thinking that as a method to transcending ego, psychedelics has much more ups and downs than meditation, even though it can be an accelerated path. It requires more navigation and management.  I realized that that's actually why it appeals to me because I prefer psychological/internal adventures to adventures in the physical world. Travel and physical challenges don't do much for me, but I love overcoming internal obstacles. A psychedelic experience is like traveling through the Astral or the mind -- they even call it a trip. Meditation is the slow and steady path, and it bores me. 1f61b.png

That is very interesting Diane. That is the one reason drugs are not appealing to me! I feel as if psychedlic journeys never do anything for me afterwards. I feel far too jaded to the weird. I accept those dimensions far easier than I accept this hard slloooow slog of a physical plane. I feel most alive in those moments i accept this slogworld. Meditation works for me in that regard, in the sense that it reminds me I am here. This is my life. I am in a body. I see others who use drugs get such an AWE out of it, where as i just shrug it off as another dose of the truth of how fucking weird shit is. It would be interesting to furthur explore why that may be the case.

5 people like this

To chime in again. I found jumping simply into meditation at an early age held no appeal to me. Looked boring. I needed more than that in terms of a spiritual path. To KNOW more. After a few years with Michael, meditation seems more appealing again. More so that I know WHY I would be doing it now...where as before it was just like " well, i guess this is what one does if they are spiritual...but I have no fucking clue what this is going towards" .

4 people like this

6 hours ago, Janet said:

Well, I'm going to chime in with a plug for meditation, perhaps because it's something I've only recently been able to do. The Monroe Institute course I took taught a methodology for first going into a state of mind awake/body asleep (or body very relaxed -- they call it Focus 10) and then counting up to a meditative state (they call it Focus 12, a state for accessing your higher self).

I found Focus 10 familiar and realized I use it quite a lot spontaneously when focusing on a project, but now I have a mechanism for getting there when desired. After several introductory guided sessions into Focus 10, we were able to set a shortcut -- just breathe in and think 10 and then exhale. It works once you know what the state feels like for you. 

When I have trouble going to sleep, I now count up to Focus 10 with attention to relaxing different parts of my body. Even if I'm still awake after the count, I'm very relaxed and it doesn't matter if I sleep or not -- but I'm usually asleep before long. 

The meditative state (Focus 12) was new to me, and I found it incredibly enjoyable. If this state is helpful to Ego, then I'm all for trying it more frequently now. I do find that the Monroe Institute hemi-sync recordings (which use binaural beats) are useful for maintaining this state. 

I wonder if inputs make a difference as far as which path you might choose. As an Artisan I have brain activity nearly 24/7 from all those inputs, so achieving the quiet of the Focus levels may be just what I need to regroup and be refreshed. 

It might be that Artisanness, Janet. I feel like my thoughts are superspeed at all times as well, drugs seem to be the least appelaing thing for me because of that deep craving for focus.

2 people like this

53 minutes ago, Stickyflames said:

That is very interesting Diane. That is the one reason drugs are not appealing to me! I feel as if psychedlic journeys never do anything for me afterwards. I feel far too jaded to the weird. I accept those dimensions far easier than I accept this hard slloooow slog of a physical plane. I feel most alive in those moments i accept this slogworld. Meditation works for me in that regard, in the sense that it reminds me I am here. This is my life. I am in a body. I see others who use drugs get such an AWE out of it, where as i just shrug it off as another dose of the truth of how fucking weird shit is. It would be interesting to furthur explore why that may be the case.

That is really interesting. I wonder if part of it comes from being high frequency, and part of it from being a highly creative person who half lives in your imagination most of the time. The first time I did acid, I started to feel everything more easily and was amazed by it. Meanwhile Tex was like, welcome to my world. He stayed sober the couple times I did acid and could still go halfway there with me. He's also Emotionally centered. I wonder if the psychedelics jolt me out of my habitual Intellectually centered functioning, and maybe that's why I learn so much from them.

5 people like this

I think you guys are right about the Energy Ratio/Frequency and Centering contributing to how you transcend ego. But I think your Goals hold primary cues as to what you choose to do as well. The goal is action oriented after all.

Royce's Goal is Growth and that probably helps him pay attention to the state of meaning he's deriving from his choices more. If something is pointless, why do it when there are other more meaningful experiences for him to pursue+create?

Diane's Goal is Flow and that probably helps her pay more attention to the state of resistance vs permission/surrender she's experiencing in her flow through life. Certain choices help her create a state of freedom in structure rather than routine momentum.

Matt's Goal of Discrimination likely helps him pay attention to his state of sophistication and refinement that comes from a place of integrity and experience. He's not going to make a choice he deems sloppy and uncalculated unless it comes from that state of refinement.

The Goals are really interesting to me when you pair them with the Attitudes. :)

It's the what you do based on why you'd do it.

Edited by KurtisM
8 people like this

I've meditated on and off since I was pretty young, though I've gradually been getting more serious about it.  It helps that I'm an avid martial artist and meditation has practical benefits in that field as well.  I prefer concentrative meditation, which seems to be the sort of meditation that Michael is referring to here (as opposed to contemplative or Mindfulness meditation).  I recently got a singing bowl, which has actually surprised me with how much it helps me enter and maintain the desired state of mind.  I've yet to be able to fully "put my Ego to rest," as it were, though I feel like I got pretty damn close just a few minutes ago.

I've no interest in psychadelics, though I recognize they can be useful for some people's spiritual growth.  For me, given my personality and the basic mindset from which I approach my spirituality, loosening ego with the aid of drugs would feel like a "shortcut."  Of course I understand that there is no "cheating" at this and the specific method really doesn't make much ultimate difference, but that is how I choose to play the game.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Sam K said:

I've meditated on and off since I was pretty young, though I've gradually been getting more serious about it.  It helps that I'm an avid martial artist and meditation has practical benefits in that field as well.  I prefer concentrative meditation, which seems to be the sort of meditation that Michael is referring to here (as opposed to contemplative or Mindfulness meditation).  I recently got a singing bowl, which has actually surprised me with how much it helps me enter and maintain the desired state of mind.  I've yet to be able to fully "put my Ego to rest," as it were, though I feel like I got pretty damn close just a few minutes ago.

I've no interest in psychadelics, though I recognize they can be useful for some people's spiritual growth.  For me, given my personality and the basic mindset from which I approach my spirituality, loosening ego with the aid of drugs would feel like a "shortcut."  Of course I understand that there is no "cheating" at this and the specific method really doesn't make much ultimate difference, but that is how I choose to play the game.

Michael could also be thought of as a " shortcut". I remember a few times when I brought up the teaching I would get the response " I would rather investigate myself on my own and figure things out on my own"  . Knowing those who prefer drugs, I can definately say that it is no shortcut...It is no more a shortcut than if you wanted to be a musician and you hung out with your favourite musician for a day to get a feel for how a proffessional lives their lives. You still have a lot of work ahead of you as a musician, but it was great to see where things can go. Michael provides that for us as students as well. For myself, I know the life is not that long so I need all the help I can get! There are so many avenues for that help and others gravitate towards their own prefered help. I looooove my helpings of help , baby.

7 people like this

@DianeHB just by reading some of your recents posts, and compared them to your earlier ones, I got a strong feeling that you have transcended yourself in quite significant ways. For me, it is the level of compassion that you showed - it means a lot to me, as Michael has once told me compassionate leadership is something I deeply appreciate after working with Kings and Priests closely over many lifetimes.

Interestingly, one of the first lessons I learned after starting to read Michael's teaching is about how ego is merely a defense mechanism of your fake personality. I think at that point, I have been fooled around by my self-depreciation/arrogance for many years so the foundation work of accepting this truth is already there. Michael's words just helped me connect the dots and i had one of those "aha" moments. Later, I realized most Eastern Religions (Taoism, Buddhism, Hinduism) have already taught in great detail how ego or sense of self has started our departure from the Tao. But then, what would you choose? The messy and beautiful game of working our way back home while the Siren of ego is chanting our names, or that eternal emptiness and detachment of staying at home with Tao?

As for the preferred ways of transcending ego, I'm more aligned with Matt and Sam in that I prefer approaches that are more solid in a bodily sense. I don't necessarily consider meditation is "safer" than drugs. A lot of people do not realize that without proper guidance, meditation or some other forms of connecting to essence (yoga, tai chi, etc.) can also go out of control. I think I might have drawn a fairly limited comfort zone in experiencing the more fluid side of the physical plane, but so far I'm quite confident in this choice. At the end of day, it's all about how you want to choose your experience. We all will get there one day.

Edited by Cong
9 people like this

3 hours ago, Stickyflames said:

Michael could also be thought of as a " shortcut". I remember a few times when I brought up the teaching I would get the response " I would rather investigate myself on my own and figure things out on my own"

Haha, indeed; maybe by the rules they've set for themselves, Michael WOULD be cheating for those people!  I know I very consciously kept divination, channeling, and most other forms of occultism at arm's length for most of my life, despite my keen interest in those subjects.  I only fully embraced them after the election; something about that event told me the time was right to rescind that particular rule and expand my toolset.  Who knows, maybe the time will come for psychadelics too!  I just know they're not for me right now.

4 people like this