Ingun

Norwegian slow-tv

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Norwegian broadcasting did it again, more slow-tv... but this time it is mostly the quiet life of reindeers moving from their winter area, from south of Finnmark to the north part where they stay for the summer and also will give birth to the reindeercalves. We are following three families that are moving their reindeers together, but there are also other families doing it at the same time not too far away, but they are not part of the live streaming. This has been planned for 3 years and the challenges has been how to broadcast live from a reindeerherd that moves constantly in the middle of Finnmark county (upper north) - without electricity, mobil net or without the regular broadcasting net. People from all over the world are following the stream and they find the experience very peaceful, calming and bringing soulconnection as some said. Norwegians are learning things they never knew about this culture and lifestyle of the Samish reindeer herders, and we get to see a lot of beautiful nature, some interviews in between and updates on how things are going, and of course how the reindeers move along, eat, rest and sleep. I have become homesick and miss the place i come from now (northeast).

It's always a challenge to find enough places where the reindeers can eat during a move, and this year it has been a LOT of snow in addition. Also there were 2 days of very mild weather some time back (january and...), where it was raining a lot (which is strange climate there during winther) - and this has created a lot of ice on top of the plants where the reindeers would eat.

Right now it is 1am in the morning and the reindeers are resting/sleeping a couple of hours, but it's not as dark as it is here in the south. The north is heading for 24/7 daylight in May.

The music played is mostly Samish, but there are long moments without music as well and people relly enjoy that too, and the playlists are available here on: Spotity

The live streaming is here Reindeerherd moving minute by minute

I hope you will enjoy it :-)

Edited by Ingun
10 people like this

Have you ever been able to also see the Northern Lights from a shot like this?  That would be equally cool, too!  Thanks for sharing :)

4 people like this

Just now, Bobby said:

Have you ever been able to also see the Northern Lights from a shot like this?  That would be equally cool, too!  Thanks for sharing :)

No I haven't. I've only seen it for real. The Northern Lights are visible when it's dark, but harder to see when it's light outside.

5 people like this

Thanks for sharing this. The reindeer are beautiful. I would like to visit this place one day.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thank you Ingun. It's beautiful. I started crying when I first read your post... 

I am so happy that I can understand Norwegian and I have been watching the interviews. It is very interesting, indeed.

"It can get a little chilly at night." No shit! Ronald Viser is hilarious :)

Ingun, do you know if Samer can move across Sápmi territory more freely, or they are bound by the borders of the three countries? 

It is a beautiful, beautiful broadcast. Ännu en gång - tack fina du! 🤗

UPDATE: Now my flatmate is also hooked on reinflyttingen. C1E7 represented in Sweden is on! ⛄

Edited by PPLD
3 people like this

2 hours ago, PPLD said:

Thank you Ingun. It's beautiful. I started crying when I first read your post... 

I am so happy that I can understand Norwegian and I have been watching the interviews. It is very interesting, indeed.

"It can get a little chilly at night." No shit! Ronald Viser is hilarious :)

Ingun, do you know if Samer can move across Sápmi territory more freely, or they are bound by the borders of the three countries? 

It is a beautiful, beautiful broadcast. Ännu en gång - tack fina du! 1f917.png

Thanks @PPLD I love your posts with the Passion Mode spreading like sparks all over here at TLE! 😊 🤗 I'm glad you enjoyed it!

It's so great that you can understand Norwegian so one day we can talk on Discord! YAY!

No, they can't move across Sápmi territory as they used to do...

3 people like this

Thanks for sharing and for the reminder about slo-tv. I've been meaning to watch the knitters on netflix. I should check to see if it's still there.

4 people like this