Leela Corman

What Do We All Actually Do and Make?

AnnaD

@Jeroen wow that is so cool!!!!!!! How much back yard space to you  have? Is the area where it looks like forest with the big trees you have planted, yours? Or do you simply plant in that area to improve the soil, limit erosion, make it look more attractive?

I love that you are growing veges, flowers, high altitude plants, cacti and have landscaped with the trees. These are beautiful photos. When I visited Cathryn Tezha Swann another Sedona local, she drove me to Jerome which is not too far from where you are. The desert is such an amazing place and the high country.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

AnnaD

Come on you Secret Squirrels! I want to know what you create, make, have fun with in your spare time! What are you proud of making/doing? False modesty has no place in this thread. Christ I am not even an Artisan and I have posted stuff that I am proud of which didn't particularly tax my talent too much, but I am pleased with it... share your goods... brag away

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Colleen

OK, Anna, I will play. These days I like to take pictures, especially portraits and candids. I also do weddings, animals, and the sky. Before that I painted with oils and acrylics. I think of myself as an honorary Artisan. 

87646326.KuyY7j5y.IMG_5273small.jpg

89472497.pAhOkAgI.Colton.jpg

106462142.HZKBItBl.PipersmallIMG_9769.jpg

115933510.88wvijuO.Villagetailor.jpg

115938082.dShHYQoF.Orphan.jpg

115941936.3TVLdEFR.Shellingpeanuts.jpg

119762568.AQAHwjHt.Catherine4x6.jpg

135048755.RfbaYfI9.IMG_3560.jpg

157674292.RyLCe4Nh.Zombieflappers.jpg

162198015.DANTC9Pu.IMG_7979.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8905.jpg

2017 07 09_1966.jpg

2017 09 16_2869.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

2016 09 28_0005.jpg

2016 09 28_1232.jpg

DSC01383a.jpg

146714779.MWVjcH4T.DSC00078.jpg

83429718.o0EhQO7C.I70sunset.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU 3

Jeroen
On 4/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, AnnaD said:

@Jeroen wow that is so cool!!!!!!! How much back yard space to you  have? Is the area where it looks like forest with the big trees you have planted, yours? Or do you simply plant in that area to improve the soil, limit erosion, make it look more attractive?

I love that you are growing veges, flowers, high altitude plants, cacti and have landscaped with the trees. These are beautiful photos. When I visited Cathryn Tezha Swann another Sedona local, she drove me to Jerome which is not too far from where you are. The desert is such an amazing place and the high country.

Thanks. The trees and shrubs up until and including the Aspen grove in the back are ones we planted. The trees further out are of the forest. I would estimate the planted area is around 1/2 acre as seen in the picture. This was once all barren and now fairly densely packed due to growth over a several year period.

I very much like working with the soil and planting trees and plants. It is one of the activities that gives me joy.

I have not been to Jerome in a while but I agree it is a beautiful area.

Edited by Jeroen
  • LIKE/LOVE 3
  • THANK YOU 1

AnnaD

Thanks @Colleen. Your photos are moving, I especially like the ones of children. The little girl who is crying and the man using the sewing machine. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Leela Corman

@Colleen Those photos are fantastic! I love your eye for humanity.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Leela Corman
On 4/14/2018 at 8:31 PM, DianeHB said:

@Leela Corman  I have your book Unterzakhn, and every time I pick it up, I can't put it down again until I finish it. Your work has such emotional depth and rawness and taught me a lot about a history and people that was unfamiliar to me. 

Oh, thank you @DianeHB! That means so much to me. I sweated hard over that book. And in the end I can see all the holes in it - there's no Third Avenue El! No one goes to Coney Island! I didn't draw any horse carriages! and so on. It's okay, I know objectively it's a good book, too. The project I'm currently procrastin - I mean working on sort of picks up on similar stuff a couple of decades later, though it isn't a sequel, it takes place in Brooklyn and Germany, and is about a different set of characters. One character does return though. I bet you can guess who it is.

I love my scrappy argumentative Yiddish forebears.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Michèle

@Jeroen I love succulents, and I wish I could grow them, but in winter, our house is too damp and there's not enough light for them to grow. They stretch out and go pale and then fall over. I lost so many succulents, among them two really beautiful species: Buddha's temple and Crassula plegmatoides, and this particular winter in the UK was long and dark. I think I will have to take cuttings of most of the succulents because they are so stretched out, they are no longer able to grow straight up.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Michèle
6 hours ago, Leela Corman said:

Oh, thank you @DianeHB! That means so much to me. I sweated hard over that book. And in the end I can see all the holes in it - there's no Third Avenue El! No one goes to Coney Island! I didn't draw any horse carriages! and so on. It's okay, I know objectively it's a good book, too. The project I'm currently procrastin - I mean working on sort of picks up on similar stuff a couple of decades later, though it isn't a sequel, it takes place in Brooklyn and Germany, and is about a different set of characters. One character does return though. I bet you can guess who it is.

I love my scrappy argumentative Yiddish forebears.

Unterzakhn is on my list of books to read 😀 I think I will enjoy it a lot - I am fascinated by the early 20th century N.Y. and the setting of the stories of the twins. Looking forward to reading it A LOT !

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Michèle

@Colleen Wow- they are beautiful portraits. Thank you for sharing 💜

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Michèle
17 hours ago, Jeroen said:

Thanks. The trees and shrubs up until and including the Aspen grove in the back are ones we planted. The trees further out are of the forest. I would estimate the planted area is around 1/2 acre as seen in the picture. This was once all barren and now fairly densely packed due to growth over a several year period.

I very much like working with the soil and planting trees and plants. It is one of the activities that gives me joy.

I have not been to Jerome in a while but I agree it is a beautiful area.

I can feel the care and love that has gone into planting and growing the trees and vegetables and other plants that you uploaded pictures of.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU 1

SharvariJ

Apart from all them literary pursuits, I've discovered a love for sewing. My grandmother (who raised me) is a seamstress, and I grew up watching her work on her machine day after day. Sewing was a way for her to earn her independence from the patriarchal confines of 20th century India. She wasn't all that educated, but in typical Aries fashion, she started her own business sewing baby clothes so she wouldn't have to rely on her husband for money.

I own a small, portable machine too, but I rarely use it, instead preferring to sew by hand. Handsewing requires precision and takes a lot more time than machine sewing, but I do it because the repetitive motions really help with my anxiety. I've started a blog to catalogue my projects. Here's the link, if anybody is interested!

This is a teeny tiny pincushion I made from felt. No more getting poked in the butt by runaway needles!

IMG20180430112138.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 9