DianeHB

Laurene Powell Jobs (Wife of Steve Jobs)

DianeHB

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2018/06/11/feature/the-quest-of-laurene-powell-jobs/

I just read this incredible article about the wife of Steve Jobs, who is doing amazing things with the money she inherited. It fits quite well with the themes mentioned in the June energy report. Her work is philanthropy through innovative means, focusing on grassroots efforts. Instead of doing traditional philanthropy, she works closely with the people she's trying to help, and attempts to make changes on a systemic level on issues including education, immigration, gun violence, and working through the arts, media, schools, and even a basketball team. I feel incredibly inspired and heartened that someone is doing this work on that scale. 

I also think she might be from C1E4 -- her energy feels like one of them. Either Priest-cast Artisan or Artisan-cast Priest, can't decide which. I think she's an Artisan-cast Priest, because of how she pursues her "mission" using creative means, and focusing on the ordinal level of conversations with people involved even as she is trying to achieve large-scale effects. Also makes sense that she would be Artisan-cast Priest since Steve Jobs was a Priest-cast Artisan. A lot of mate relationships seem to be paired that way (role/casting reversed).

A quote from the article:

It all has to do with democratizing access and opportunity for voices she thinks have been shut out. “I don’t like that money and wealth equates with power, and then that power can be used for good or for ill,” she told me. “I actually think that the power base should be distributed and there should be other reasons that individuals have power, and I’d like to see much more edifying reasons rise to the top. And so as a philanthropist and as someone who actually now has the ability to create a different type of organization to do a certain type of work, I don’t mind modeling what I think is a better way to do things, a better way to solve problems.”

The paradox is obvious. She is using her money and power to try to make sure the money and power of people like her will matter a little bit less, because those who don’t have it now will have access to a little bit more. There is something undemocratic about her mission to democratize the ability to pursue one’s potential....

“It is a paradox,” Powell Jobs says. “Martin Luther King spoke about that paradox himself, absolutely, where he said philanthropy is a very useful and good tool, but it should not ignore the conditions that created the philanthropy, that the philanthropy is trying to address. Now even more so, the way that wealth is accumulating at such a fast pace to the top 0.1 percent, 0.5 percent of the population, that wealth accumulation has to be used to correct the system that created it. … As a philanthropist, I think the most important thing is to be awake and cognizant of that, and honest about how that wealth accumulation happened, and to be smart about how you’re trying to go about changing things.”

Laurene Powell Jobs

Edited by DianeHB
  • LIKE/LOVE 18

DianeHB

@Maureen I can't really articulate why, but I feel strongly that you should read this article. I think it's a strong contrast of optimism and inspiration compared to what's been going on in politics recently.

• LIKE/LOVE 9

Maureen

@DianeHB,  excellent!!!  Thank you. Yes, you were right, I really enjoyed reading about Laurene Powell Jobs (I wondered what she was doing!) and the inspiration, the optimism and the pragmatic compassion of her work. Reading it has made me see that the creative altruism, that we need desperately at this time, is spread around much more broadly than I'd been imagining... and I love that. I love seeing someone work both poles of Aspiration, - Hope and + Intention, so well. I am pleased she is in our world at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a member of C1E4 as she has that Entity's ethereal feel. Artisan and Priest jumps out as well. She seems more like a Priest-cast Artisan (to me) than the other way around.  ♥

• LIKE/LOVE 10

Ingun

So inspiring that it really exists people like this in the world. She feels like a sister to me when I look into her eyes.

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Joanne

Can everyone just imagine how beautiful our world could be if ALL "wealthy" individuals lived as modestly, and with such insight as she does!! Inspiring to say the least, and she's a WOMAN!!! Yay!! So empowering in this day and age!! 

"What a Wonderful World" it could be!

Louis Armstrong

• LIKE/LOVE 6