Troubadour

Who are these guys?

Question

Troubadour

Im wondering if anyone is interested in the crew that has become known as 'The Intellectual Dark Web'? Sam Harris, Jordan Peterson, Brett Weinstein, Eric Weinstein, Joe Rogan, Ben Shapiro and several others including Ayan Hirsi Ali and Majid Nawas.  Particularly Jordan B. Petersen. He is having a major impact on the (predominantly) male youth culture just now. 

4 answers to this question

Stickyflames

Interested, but don’t see them as anything more than the collective last gasps of threatened masculinity.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Troubadour

I’m not certain there isn’t more going on than that. This group of people are seriously debating and discussing the existence of God among other things. Here is Peterson in debate with Susan Blackmore..”Jesus Christ is the archetypal manifestation of the logos”. He goes on to say that western law which is based on the Judeo Christian historical ethic is predicated on the idea that the human being is Devine. “The sovereignty of the individual is the divinity of the individual. The law itself is written as if we each contain a spark of divinity. What is that divinity? In the Christian world view that’s the logos..the true speech that brings forth habitable and good order from the chaos of potential.”

Stickyflames

I do not disagree that Jordan Peterson is not extremely intelligent. If you listen to him long enough though, it becomes obvious that he is using his resources and intelligence to uphold tired traditions and further divide people. This is a man whose “ cause” is diluting liberal activism in a world where there are Nazis. It is no shocker that his audience is packed full of alt-right traditionalists.

I am not a fan of PC culture , policing others and self righteousness. I am also not a fan of refusing to listen to why marginilized groups might be angry, refusing to listen in general, stagnating views of identity in a world that needs nurturing for our rapid expansion of identities, and basically any excuse whatsoever to justify prejudice.

He has snippets of empowering conversation but the big picture supports a dying paradigm. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU 4

SharvariJ

I've only ever been exposed to Sam Harris from your list, but the whole militant atheist gang (Harris, Dawkins, etc.) have always made me inexplicably angry. Their views are totally valid, but their delivery is divisive and doctrinal, which is ironic because that's what they're preaching against. I have no issue with empiricism as a means to navigate reality (even if it's held as the ONLY way to navigate reality), but these guys make it sound like an US-and-THEM debate where everybody who isn't US is an ignorant, deluded peasant deserving of crucifixion. It makes sense that the alt-right would be attracted to such rhetoric, since it reinforces their Baby-Soul-like modus operandi, albeit with anti-religious content as opposed to racist or xenophobic or homophobic content.

Edited by SharvariJ
  • LIKE/LOVE 1