Troy

U.S. Presidential Election Comfort and Anxiety Thread

Troy    7,106
Troy

I thought that many of us may need a place to focus our anxiety and share our comfort in each other as we await the results of the United States Presidential Election on November 8.

Personally, I am a churning ball of nausea and anxiety, my mind is mush, and I can't focus. I feel like every fiber of my Being is focused on holding a vision of the best outcome.

Hopefully, we will be celebrating something historic soon, as opposed to seeing history repeat itself.'

Let's see how this goes... 

TimeElection.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 19

Juni    2,685
Juni

Thank you for this. I feel like no matter what the result, the fallout will be ongoing. I'm hoping for the best, though.

Edited by Juni
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

Mike Cleverly    973
Mike Cleverly

I got a message that popped into my head, for America:

"Even in hurt there is healing"

I get the feeling that healing is like spiritual evolution - there is never a time when you are not spiritually evolving, and there is never a time when you are not healing. 

So while the hurt might be reaching a crescendo, it propels us forward towards our healing.

• LIKE/LOVE 14

Timothy J Sullivan    770
Timothy J Sullivan

Relax my American Friends. All will be well. There's much to do and at times it will be tough. But I don't believe cataclysmic. 

• LIKE/LOVE 14

Leela Corman    1,012
Leela Corman

Thank you for this thread. Great idea! I've been feeling a sense of strength lately, through my anxiety, uncertainty, and disgust. I feel like holding some space for it, however small, for anyone around me to take some refuge in. Of course I am also not listening to wall to wall coverage, I'm mostly listening to noise rock.

But really, I feel a weird sense of clarity right now. Just waiting, I guess.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

Brian Taylor    51
Brian Taylor

For those who can find comfort in a truly professional political scientist, try the site fivethirtyeight.com.   So much better than the various media outlets who's job it is to push and pull us, manufacturing melodrama, keeping of us in a state of high anxiety that we just can't look away from CNN, MSNBC, Fox, or whomever.

Added around 100pm PST Wed Nov 9 ... what happened?

Edited by Brian Taylor
I was a fool
  • LIKE/LOVE 8

Christian    432
Christian

This election has been rough.   

I feel a sense of excitement and apprehension at tomorrow. 

Mainly because, I live in the Metro STL area.  With all the other tension in the area, I am concerned more about the 10th and moving through next week then I am tomorrow. 

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Maxim    2,707
Maxim

I spoke with one of my sisters yesterday who has been posting some anti Hilary links on facebook.  Turns out she has bought into conspiracy central and the demagoguery of Alex Jones who makes Trump seem kind of tame.  She is not voting for Jill Stein like I did.  She thinks Trump is the man who really understands what is going on.  I would be very surprised if Hilary didn't win.

I also got to vote for a ban on plastic bags at the market, elimination of the death penalty, and the marijuana initiative. 

I'm betting TLE will still be here after Tuesday.

• LIKE/LOVE 9

DanielaS    3,959
DanielaS

@DianeHBhas mentioned this elsewhere, but the stories in the Pantsuit Nation secret Facebook group have been like anti-anxiety medication. How the tone of this election could have been changed if this group had started earlier and been able to bleed into the mainstream!

I think about Obama and how his Priestly oration inspired people. People were inspired but because the inspiration came from Obama they expected him to get it done for them and work miracles. Hillary has always had a hard time inspiring with her oration. She is a Warrior and she gets shit done. So in this Pantsuit Nation group you have people sharing incredibly moving stories about why they are with her, but the inspiration comes from themselves. Hillary and what she stands for-- older soul inclusivity-- acts as a muse for others to find inspiration in themselves and in each other, not necessarily just in Her Herself. I think this will engender a more action-oriented wave of change. Hillary has mobilized the troops.

Also interesting to me is that this Pantsuit Nation group had to go underground to express and gather this unfettered support and love for what Hillary means in their lives. Any public positive expression for Hillary is met with such a negative beat down (She's a liar! She's a crook! She should be in a jail!) that it cuts off any discussion and nurturing of love. The media has contributed to this too with story headlines like, "Why is Hillary so unlikeable?" and talking about this being a choice between the lesser of too evils. It's been like this national gas lighting effort-- You start to feel positive toward Hillary but then are told how there is no enthusiasm for her and that she is not authentic and she is guarded and you second guess your feelings. It's tempting to see this as another example of putting women in their place and making sure they don't get too much power.

• LIKE/LOVE 15

Troy    7,106
Troy

With so many well-meaning voters still casting a meaningless protest vote or not grasping what is at stake by voting to satisfy only themselves (voting their "conscience") instead of voting strategically for our collective future, I can't find comfort or calm in the confidence that Hilllary will win/Trump will lose.

I know way too many new agers, hipsters, millennials, "Berners," and those who bought into the campaign of hate and lies about Hillary who just don't get how vital it is to vote Smart in the Presidential Election and to vote Heart in local elections. To throw away a Presidential vote just to make a private statement undermines everything that the protest would stand for.

If we want change and progress, we need an ally in a President who helps empower our local government because our local government directly represents us, not our President. So many people think the Presidential election is the only vote that counts, and never participate in local elections, or even know their Representative.

And this lack of understanding the necessary difference between voting Smart and voting Heart may help to derail this election in favor of Trump. 

We won't lose to Trump because he wins the vote. We'll lose to Trump because sane, caring people didn't vote Smart.

• LIKE/LOVE 23

Leela Corman    1,012
Leela Corman

Oh yes, it is pure misogyny. This Warrior-cast daughter of a martial artist is quite inspired by Hillary's get shit done fierceness. I don't need speeches, as much as I love Obama's. I need actions.

• LIKE/LOVE 9

Christian    432
Christian

I know many in the US feel this way.

Thought it might get a giggle.  Made me smile.

FB_IMG_1478612303624.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 13

Mari Lynn    53
Mari Lynn

Troy, you said this SOOOOOO WELL, and hats off to the Sages in expression of our collective older souled sentiments!  

I am very concerned about WI, and tho we've voted blue on the electoral map for decades, there is an awful lot of red goin' on, and its not even turning this state purple...... I fear its going to swing a deep red this Prez election.  I  am even more concerned about the very, very tight race for our U.S. Senate, as we NEED to get rid of teabagger ron johnson and get Russ Feingold back in.  He is awesome and has an excellent grasp of progressive values and concerns but omg......the sea of red in this state may cause him to lose once again.  Its possible, and tho hard to believe back in 2008 (I was shocked and numb for quite awhile back then) I  need to be realistic and realize that my beloved home state is a stranger to me.  My only saving grace is that I live in the only progressive area of Milwaukee but even that cannot save this state from its increasingly choking redness.  I just am kinda scared and glad that you started this thread Troy......somehow, I knew you would!  I  just needed to vent......

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Juni    2,685
Juni

Trump supporters on my commute this morning on the bridge, waving Trump flags with the American flag on top of it, as though they are synonymous. They wish. I'm still hoping for a good outcome.
I had bad sleep though-kept having anxiety Hillary dreams and startling awake. The dreams were that she didn't win, btw.

Edited by Juni
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

Martha    157
Martha

I'm a wreck but there's also the whole no job thing that makes me a stress ball. Bought champagne. My sister who hates me gave me a set of Bush inauguration champagne glasses that I waited to use until Obama won. W seems like a harmless old fuck now compared to Trump and I bet he voted for Hillary. Washing out the glasses again!

• LIKE/LOVE 13

Troy    7,106
Troy

@Matt you are beautiful. Your vote definitely counts way more as an intentional vote than as a protest vote. Any issue that anyone would have with Hillary pales in comparison to the issues that exist with Trump BEFORE he's even been put into a position of power. After he's in power, forget it. It's over. One step backwards, two steps forward will be a lost ideal.

Since you have already condemned Hillary and refuse any input, I won't worry about explaining the gross mischaracterization of Hillary "taking money from countries that fund ISIS," or how a the use of "career politician" as disparaging is like dismissing your doctor because she's had years of commitment to her practice. That being said, I am very very happy you are willing to take a risk in favor of possibility.

No one ever said or thinks Hillary is a saint, but she's an incredibly different person from the one that the campaign of hate depicts. That campaign of hate has been going on for so long, no one has escaped its indoctrination, eclipsing her amazing history of dedication as a public servant, and she just keeps going. Her record is beyond impressive in its progressive and inclusive path, even if marred by her public evolution out of some ignorant positions.

As with every election of Hillary, the hate campaign crescendos up to her election and then she's elected and everyone feels the stupor of the hate fade and she just keeps doing her job despite our efforts to destroy her.

We need that in a President after enduring 8 years of growing voices and actions from racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, xenophobes. We need someone who knows how to roll with the tsunami of hate and violence that is about to be unleashed, especially if she wins.

• LIKE/LOVE 18

Juni    2,685
Juni

Yes, tired. I just don't want to think about any of it anymore. Mind full. But I won't relax until I know one way or the other.

• LIKE/LOVE 4

ckaricai    2,793
ckaricai
5 hours ago, Troy said:

With so many well-meaning voters still casting a meaningless protest vote or not grasping what is at stake by voting to satisfy only themselves (voting their "conscience") instead of voting strategically for our collective future, I can't find comfort or calm in the confidence that Hilllary will win/Trump will lose.

I know way too many new agers, hipsters, millennials, "Berners," and those who bought into the campaign of hate and lies about Hillary who just don't get how vital it is to vote Smart in the Presidential Election and to vote Heart in local elections. To throw away a Presidential vote just to make a private statement undermines everything that the protest would stand for.

If we want change and progress, we need an ally in a President who helps empower our local government because our local government directly represents us, not our President. So many people think the Presidential election is the only vote that counts, and never participate in local elections, or even know their Representative.

And this lack of understanding the necessary difference between voting Smart and voting Heart may help to derail this election in favor of Trump. 

We won't lose to Trump because he wins the vote. We'll lose to Trump because sane, caring people didn't vote Smart.

I was in line to vote by 7am this morning. My polling place is at the end of an avenue block. The line went all the way down the avenue block, then wrapped around the corner and went on for four more street blocks. At 7am! That means people started lining up as soon as the polls opened at 6am. I was amazed that so many people turned out to vote. There were even more people than there were when Obama ran in 2008. If it's like this everywhere then that would be amazing. There's no room for apathy this day. This election is unlike any American election. Goldwater said some crazy stuff, but Trump is like Goldwater on acid and we're all experiencing a bad trip. He cannot win. I'm happy about the turnout.

I do want to vent about this other thing: I've been hearing about vote swapping and I'm kind of horrified by it. In case you haven't heard of it, someone in a blue state agrees to vote for a third party candidate in their blue state so that a person in a swing state will vote for clinton. I heard about this on facebook and suggested to my friend that a person could agree to vote for her third party candidate in their blue state and vote for clinton anyway and she responded like I told her I would set her dog on fire. She genuinely couldn't believe anyone would do such a thing and said in all seriousness that breaking the agreement was an affront to democracy. I was shocked by that. Apparently, vote swapping is not new and it seems crazy to me that people would give up their voices this way. There is no guarantee the other person will hold up their end of the agreement, so why risk it.  It's just seems so strange to me. Like, they know Trump is dangerous enough to not vote for him, but they don't seem to care how dangerous it is to not vote for the best person who can beat him. It's like they don't understand how the electoral process in this country works or math. It's just so bizarre. I'm really hoping there are enough people voting for Clinton to make all of this protest voting, vote swapping, apathetic nonsense irrelevant. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8

ClaireC    1,827
ClaireC

I'm sitting at a McDonald's trying to have a quiet cup of coffee but have to leave because a group of obnoxious, old farts are already celebrating "President Trump".  Arghhhh!!!!!!

• LIKE/LOVE 8

Maxim    2,707
Maxim

@ClaireC and I'm on this side of the border thinking you guys have Prime Minister Trudeau.  May he be an inspiration for our next pres.?

• LIKE/LOVE 8