Troy

U.S. Presidential Election Comfort and Anxiety Thread

322 posts in this topic

@John Roth, believe me, I am taking what NicV is saying with a massive boulder of NaCI. and many more after that.

There are plenty of Old Soul Priests here on TLE who see Trump for the dictator he is. The zealous Priest thing depends on the person, case by case, and here, by their posts and behaviour. I am careful with anyone who endorses someone who I see as harmful. I keep my distance and analyse thoroughly.

I think Trump can't provide for others needs. I know Trump doesn't have the capacity, as a Young Soul, to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. He has zilch compassion unless its his own kids. Or wives. Unless his own welfare and wellbeing are threatened, it is Young Soul strategy and game as usual.

Edited by AnnaD
I need to practice my compassion towards all roles and not stereotype.
7 people like this

13 hours ago, AnnaD said:

He has zilch compassion unless its his own kids. Or wives. 

agree, but thats debatable, he likes Ivanka but certainly not Tiffany and he acts also like a jerk to his wive/s, with his two older sons he seems too play some sick games like "do what I want and you may get some money and attention" (but I guess thats ok cause they seem like numbskulls themself)

6 people like this

15 hours ago, AnnaD said:

He has zilch compassion unless its his own kids. Or wives. 

Nope, they are just products and marketing objects to him. 

8 people like this

21 hours ago, Stickyflames said:

Regarding the last six or so posts....what the fuck?

Yeah, I'm going to step away from it. Sometimes when we force our personal need for specialness into a teaching that only encourages our uniqueness, we end up forcing a Square Peg into a Round Hole... it's just gonna backfire. Like it did for Sarah Jessica Parker long ago in high school, LOL.

MUSIC BREAK - Time to break out your 80's dance moves!

7 people like this

9 hours ago, Troy said:

Nope, they are just products and marketing objects to him. 

I do think he genuinely cares about Ivanka, at least as much as someone like him CAN genuinely care.  It wouldn't be surprising, given that she's his ET.

3 people like this

So, in contrast to Betsey De Vos being confirmed as Head Inculcator of Scripture and no Opportunities for our young, and Elizabeth Warren being refused the right to speak Coretta Scott King's testimony against Jeff Sessions, and, Madeline Albright, John Kerry and who else? debating against Trumps ridiculous immigrant ban, is their any other definite good news? I got a clear image today, of Darth Vader sitting down for a long shit on the toilet, and the world staring up at his hairy pustilent arse. I feel like the toilet water, frankly. Who is standing up to him???

I am donating monthly now to ACLU.

This looks like the apocalypse. I don't think anyone will stop him. It seems as though while the courts are arguing whether or not an executive order is constitutional, collateral damage still happens simultaneously on other levels, anyway, that doesn't get challenged. Will it take another Young Soul leader to stop Trump, who will start a war with America? That is what I am afraid of. Because all this Are we following Due Process shit feels like a waste of time if it fails to stop Trump.

Edited by AnnaD
4 people like this

Some comforting words from a GQ interview with Ricky Gervais, the Mature Sage in C2E2.

Do you worry that we’re going to fuck things up so badly that by the time we come around to science and rational thought we’ll have already ruined everything?
I don’t think so. I’m an optimist. I think this might be a little blip. People believing stuff doesn’t change the facts. So you can have all these lies, all these crazy beliefs, but at the end of the day, water’s made up of H2O, 2 and 2 is 4, the Earth is round, the universe is 13.7 billion years old, evolution is a fact, we all die. You can blithely say, “I’m gonna live forever.” But you won’t. Now, could we destroy the world so there’s no one around to know the truth? Well, yeah. Some people set their own house alight ‘cause they hate their neighbor and they want their neighbor’s house to burn down and that’s the only way they can think of doing it.

Joking aside, I think it’s woken up a complacent society. And the encouraging thing is three million more did really vote for Hillary. And the march was the biggest protest march in history. You resist. You say no. That sounds very, very naïve, but it’s still a democratic, free country. But I think it is for people to step up to the plate. I think it’s for journalists to step up to the plate. I think it’s for comedians to step up to the plate and not be swayed, not be bought. We’re a good, smart species. Yes, we’re often irrational and narcissistic, but I think we’ve also got a decency. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have survived this long without fur, without claws. Our brains got us this far. I’m sure we’ll be okay.

http://www.gq.com/story/ricky-gervais-are-we-screwed-interview

10 people like this

Here is a longer version of a list going around on social media. Some of this has been attributed to George Lakoff, but regardless of source these are great things to remember.

The addition of the John Lennon quote was a light bulb for me (bolding added by me below). This is why the Women's March worked: It was non-violet; it was hilarious; it was cheeky; people brought their children; it was a family affair. The police that I saw in St. Louis were laughing and were amused.

1. Don't use his name;
2. Remember this is a regime and he's not acting alone;
3. Do not argue with those who support him--it doesn't work;
4. Focus on his policies, not his orange-ness and mental state;
5. Keep your message positive; they want the country to be angry and fearful because this is the soil from which their darkest policies will grow;
6. No more helpless/hopeless talk;
7. Support artists and the arts;
8. Be careful not to spread fake news. Check it;
9. Take care of yourselves; and
10. Resist!

Keep demonstrations peaceful. In the words of John Lennon, "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight! Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJ9w0x_dzo)

When you post or talk about him, don't assign his actions to him, assign them to "The Republican Administration," or "The Republicans." This will have several effects: the Republican legislators will either have to take responsibility for their association with him or stand up for what some of them don't like; he will not get the focus of attention he craves; Republican representatives will become very concerned about their re-elections.

13 people like this

15 hours ago, DanielaS said:

Joking aside, I think it’s woken up a complacent society. And the encouraging thing is three million more did really vote for Hillary. And the march was the biggest protest march in history. You resist. You say no. That sounds very, very naïve, but it’s still a democratic, free country. But I think it is for people to step up to the plate. I think it’s for journalists to step up to the plate. I think it’s for comedians to step up to the plate and not be swayed, not be bought. We’re a good, smart species. Yes, we’re often irrational and narcissistic, but I think we’ve also got a decency. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have survived this long without fur, without claws. Our brains got us this far. I’m sure we’ll be okay.

http://www.gq.com/story/ricky-gervais-are-we-screwed-interview

Yeah, that's a big part of why I'm not too worried.  Things probably would've been better in the immediate sense if Hillary had won, but people would've stayed asleep that much longer.  Systemic problems and injustices that our country has been guilty of for a long time would've continued and probably remained largely ignored because there would've been a presentable face put to them.  Trump has forced people to confront issues that have been very easy for many Americans to ignore in the past.  If, say, Barack Obama kills civilians with drone strikes or Bill Clinton advocates the building of a border wall, it's easy for people to ignore it or rationalize it because they're likable guys who say the right things and "act presidential."  Not so with a guy like Trump.

8 people like this

I'm heading back to being a bit more grounded now.  Really needed to take a break, and Tao love them, SNL has helped me find some humor in it all.

But, I wanted to put this out there, for some feedback.

Wonder if we could convince people, in states with the career, sick politicians that are in Congress, (for I feel they are just as dangerous to the well being of our country), to change their party to Republican for 2018, and vote against them, voting for more moderate new incumbents.  To change the Power out of their hands before they further damage the country.  It would certainly give a reality check to the more moderate politicians who are serious about their duty to our country, and it's citizens.  Ryan, O'Connell, the Tea Party people.  They've got to go!  It surely would require watching those races closely.  It just blows my mind that they keep getting re-elected.  Thoughts?

4 people like this

Well, I think I broke this thread.  lol!!!   Still, it was a great thread.  Enjoyed reading it.  

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Lori Abrams said:

Well, I think I broke this thread.  lol!!!   Still, it was a great thread.  Enjoyed reading it.  

Why do you think you broke the thread? It's still going strong, but we just take breaks from it, I think.

2 people like this

I got busy after my last post reply, and kept thinking about how I asked a question and then went MIA, lol.  Then I come on, and no one posted, or answered.  Just making up my own little stories.  hehe.  Wishing all the best.  

4 people like this

On 2/10/2017 at 9:51 AM, Sam K said:

Yeah, that's a big part of why I'm not too worried.  Things probably would've been better in the immediate sense if Hillary had won, but people would've stayed asleep that much longer.  Systemic problems and injustices that our country has been guilty of for a long time would've continued and probably remained largely ignored because there would've been a presentable face put to them.  Trump has forced people to confront issues that have been very easy for many Americans to ignore in the past.  If, say, Barack Obama kills civilians with drone strikes or Bill Clinton advocates the building of a border wall, it's easy for people to ignore it or rationalize it because they're likable guys who say the right things and "act presidential."  Not so with a guy like Trump.

Yes and it will still take more time to continue waking up.... as we grope for our collective heart.

@Lori Abrams I remember years ago my uncle said he registered republican so he could burrow within.  I'd love to see a viable muliti party system.

4 people like this

@Maxim I love what your uncle did.

3 people like this

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Maxim said:

Yes and it will still take more time to continue waking up.... as we grope for our collective heart.

@Lori Abrams I remember years ago my uncle said he registered republican so he could burrow within.  I'd love to see a viable muliti party system.

The stirrings of other party factors has been mentioned but not enough.  Like, Jill Stein seems to have gone underground.  Gary Johnson doesn't keep himself in the news.  Bernie Sanders went back to being an Independent but he definitely leans towards Democrat.  Independent isn't even a party, but maybe it should.  The Independents has a good ring to it.  :-)

4 people like this

Sessions seems to me to be a potential wildcard. We shall see. 

I'm also following @angrywhstaffer. Interesting stuff. 

5 people like this

On 2/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, Lori Abrams said:

The stirrings of other party factors has been mentioned but not enough.  Like, Jill Stein seems to have gone underground.  Gary Johnson doesn't keep himself in the news.  Bernie Sanders went back to being an Independent but he definitely leans towards Democrat.  Independent isn't even a party, but maybe it should.  The Independents has a good ring to it.  :-)

There's a lot of stuff going on beneath the surface.  There's Justice Democrats, which are the group that I support directly.  They're trying to push out corporatist "Democrats" from the inside by running real progressives in the primaries and swearing off corporate money.  Then there's Brand New Congress, which are allied with Justice Dems and trying to do essentially the same thing, but with both parties.  On the outside of the Big Two, there's the People's Party, which is trying to get Bernie to leave the Democrats and start his own third party, as well as their allies, the Progressive Independent Party, who are similar but with less focus on recruiting Bernie himself.  Meanwhile, the Greens are keeping a low profile at the moment, but I hear their numbers are swelling, and you also have various single-issue and protest-oriented groups like BLM, Indivisibles, etc., etc.  And of course those anarchist cads in the Black Bloc are always running around making actual progressives look bad...

On top of all of this, as I mentioned earlier, is Sam Ronan, who's setting up a PAC that'll support, network with, and fundraise for ANY progressive candidates regardless of their specific allegiance, the goal being to unite all of the groups I listed above into something cohesive that can take on the Right (and their de facto allies in the DNC).  Things look quiet from the outside, but the Left is definitely regrouping.  It's just doing so on its own while the DNC leadership dithers and fusses over its big donors and lobbyists.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Sam K:  Thank You for replying to this.  I'm kind of excited now that much is going on behind the scenes.  I've been saying that often, to others, but maybe not being so sure myself because I really didn't have any info on it.  But I am so happy, that it is, indeed, going on.  I've been a bit busy finding my happy place, and to tell you the truth, the only attention I give is from something I saw on FB.  lol.  Now, I do do some exhaustive research from what I am reading.  I'm getting a belief now that I can't seem to trust anything out there that has been written. It's like reading in a circle. But that's only my opinion, man.  ;-) 

This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's.

Edited by Lori Abrams
2 people like this

Because I am currently reading his novel Anna Karenina I was reading up on Tolstoy in wikipedia  and got chuckle out of seeing that even in 1901 there were potential political consequences from talking to Russians... perhaps even or especially if they were pacifist anarchists.

There is also a famous lost film of Tolstoy made a decade before he died. In 1901, the American travel lecturer Burton Holmes visited Yasnaya Polyana with Albert J. Beveridge, the U.S. senator and historian. As the three men conversed, Holmes filmed Tolstoy with his 60-mm movie camera. Afterwards, Beveridge's advisers succeeded in having the film destroyed, fearing that documentary evidence of a meeting with the Russian author might hurt Beveridge's chances of running for the U.S. presidency.[59]

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Maxim said:

Because I am currently reading his novel Anna Karenina I was reading up on Tolstoy in wikipedia  and got chuckle out of seeing that even in 1901 there were potential political consequences from talking to Russians... perhaps even or especially if they were pacifist anarchists.

There is also a famous lost film of Tolstoy made a decade before he died. In 1901, the American travel lecturer Burton Holmes visited Yasnaya Polyana with Albert J. Beveridge, the U.S. senator and historian. As the three men conversed, Holmes filmed Tolstoy with his 60-mm movie camera. Afterwards, Beveridge's advisers succeeded in having the film destroyed, fearing that documentary evidence of a meeting with the Russian author might hurt Beveridge's chances of running for the U.S. presidency.[59]

What a loss!

I love the story Nabokov tells about Tolstoy. Late in Tolstoy's life, he was hanging around the dacha, bored or something, and picked up a book and started reading it at random. He thought it was pretty good. He looked at the cover. It was Anna Karenina. He'd forgotten it! (ETA: I'm a huge Tolstoy fan. Love his work.)

Yes, the US and Russia have always had their problems. I have some serious reservations about Putin. The Russian people, like most people, just want to live their lives, I firmly believe.

Edited by AnnH
4 people like this

12 hours ago, Maxim said:

There is also a famous lost film of Tolstoy made a decade before he died. In 1901, the American travel lecturer Burton Holmes visited Yasnaya Polyana with Albert J. Beveridge, the U.S. senator and historian. As the three men conversed, Holmes filmed Tolstoy with his 60-mm movie camera.

I was very lucky to get to visit Yasnaya Polyana when I was in the Soviet Union in 1976.  It was a very long day trip and quite memorable. This was mid-winter and deep snow was everywhere. We took a charter bus from Moscow and halfway there the bus driver stopped in the middle of the road on a rise between two slopes. He said 'boys on the left and girls on the right' and directed us out of the bus. We were a bit confused and finally realized that this was a potty break. We thought that amusing and had snowball fights instead.

We had to stop in Tula for lunch. We were warned before going into the restaurant that there was a munitions factory in Tula and foreigners weren't supposed to be there, so we had to be diligent about speaking Russian within our group while we were in the restaurant. This was early in our trip and our proficiency in the language varied, so this was a struggle for some of us, but we quite enjoyed the drama of being where we were not supposed to be.

The pony cartThen we spent many hours at Yasnaya Polyana and it was just lovely. We wandered around through the birch forest and visited Tolstoy's grave. You can see members of my group in my picture of the pony cart that went down the path between us. (I believe it had a load of firewood but I was too busy trying not to fall into the snowbank while taking the picture to study it very closely.)

There were extremely limited toilet facilities so when the bus stopped on the rise on the return trip, the potty break was no longer amusing. We formed human walls to allow some privacy as people figured out how to relieve themselves in deep snow. Much easier for the guys!

As a side note -- at the start of my stay in Moscow I borrowed 'War and Peace' from the American chaplain's library and completed the book during the following weeks. So the visit to Yasnaya Polyana was especially relevant to me. 

Tolstoy's house

Tolstoy's grave

9 people like this