Bobby

MMW - December 17, 2016 - Getting The Most From 2016

4 posts in this topic

MMW - December 17, 2016 - Getting The Most From 2016

Hello to each of you. We are here, now. We can begin.

What we share today is not a method that is exclusive to extracting the most meaningful from 2016, but can be used to extract the most meaningful from any day, any month, any year, any lifetime.

The first thing that is important to know before looking back over a period of time to extract the best is to own the reality and the fact that not all of it was "good."

You will fail in extracting the best if you think of it as a competition against the worst, or as a means to escape or ignore the impact of the worst.

What we mean by "the best" and "the worst" is the difference between those experiences that brought you meaning through pleasure and those that brought you meaning through pain.

All of it is meaningful.

In order to extract the most from any given period of time, the "good and the bad" must be considered as equally valid.

That is not just a depth of consideration for the good and the bad, but is an additional consideration. There can be no competition between the good and the bad. It is not a competition. It is not a point system.

Imagine that you are at the theater and enjoying your movie all the way through to the end with friends.

As you get up, someone spills his soda and candy all over your clothes and shoes.

This can "ruin the whole night" for many people.

The good is forgotten and the bad is amplified in importance.

This is a vestigial function of the brain.

You are programmed to amplify any threats or danger, and the brain does not know that spilled soda and candy is harmless, but it knows when you recoil in shock and surprise, and now the cause of this is a threat.

But you are conscious beings who can override programming.

It was an accident. It does not have to ruin the entire evening.

It is inconvenient, it shocked you, it changed the course of your plans, and none of these things are "good," but they did not negate the entire evening of experience that came before it.

Some days, some months, some years, and even some lifetimes are like this.

So it is important to not only to allow room for both the good and the bad, but to return them to equal ground.

Your good times cannot be used to make the bad times better and your bad times cannot be used to strip you of good times.

This is vital for those days, months, years, and lifetimes where the experience is not just a spill near the end, but is the equivalent of someone talking throughout the film and throwing sticky candy in your hair.

The point being made here is that, regardless of the ratio between "good" and "bad," there will always be both and both are important, meaningful, and part of the spectrum of your experience.

So to get the most of 2016 is not an exercise in only finding the best, or only working through the worst.

With those details in mind, the first method for extracting the most from 2016 is to utilize NOSTALGIA.

Nostalgia is an Emotional Intelligence that can extract the most meaningful and core values from any event, person, or time period.

Nostalgia is not sentimental.

Sentimentality is attachment. Nostalgia is gratitude.

Nostalgia is appreciation.

Let yourself look back over your year and remember the most meaningful and valuable experiences. List these if necessary.

Your Nostalgia, or Emotional Intelligence, can sometimes surprise you. You may have found someone in your life to be quite challenging, difficult, and even painful to endure, but once they are "gone," your Nostalgia points to everything you appreciated about this person, or what you gained or exchanged of value, and it is an odd feeling.

That Nostalgia is not in place to undermine the challenges or struggles, but to ensure that the food for your emotional evolution is clean and clear from the debris of hurt and anger, sadness, etc.

So look back over 2016 and make a list of what and who you knew had to go, had to change, but that you will miss, and remember with fondness all that you can.

For a year like 2016, Nostalgia is one of the more important of the methods for extracting the most.

The next method for getting the most of your previous year is to BE HONEST.

It could be said that this is the Intellectual Intelligence you will use, or Truth.

Experience is not always Honest, or The Truth.

For example:

You are standing in the street and are hit in the face with a baseball.

No matter what, you were hit in the face with a baseball. It hurts.

You do not know where this baseball came from or why it hit you.

The only thing true at that moment is that you were hit by a baseball.

Everything else is speculation.

There are many experiences in life where you are hit by a metaphorical baseball to the face and then construct elaborate stories about how and why.

Sometimes even the obvious is not accurate. To continue the analogy, you see a boy with a baseball bat with his friends down the street. Your mind immediately creates the story of irresponsible kids and set out to scold them.

It makes all of the sense in the world that this is how and why it happened.

But what you missed in your focus on the "obvious" is that an elderly woman on the sidewalk threw the ball.

The children's ball had rolled to the sidewalk and she picked it up.

Now that you know it was the elderly woman who threw it, you soften, consider her condition, and forgive the situation quickly.

She just does not have a good throwing arm, or course.

But what you did not know is that she simply did not like your face and she intentionally threw it to hit you.

We are telling this elaborate tale of a ridiculous situation because this is not unlike how many things happen to you in life.

The stories you tell about why and how things happen are not always true.

And this is important to know when trying to extract the best from a time period.

This is why Honesty is vital. If you DO. NOT. KNOW. THEN. YOU. DO. NOT. KNOW.

You may never know.

But you were hit by a baseball in the face, and this you do know. This you can work with.

Tend to your wound, stay alert, and watch where you are going, and if you find out how and why, then that is a bonus.

But until then, you must allow room for not knowing. You must tell the truth that you do not know. Be honest.

Next, you must CREATE BEAUTY.

This is the Moving Intelligence.

In short: what happens TO you matters less than what you DO with what happens to you.

NOSTALGIA, HONESTY, and BEAUTY are your tools for getting the most out of any time period, relationship, event, lifetime.

You had many experiences across 2016. There are plenty of moments worth appreciation and gratitude, there is a lot that you do not know in terms of how and why, and you can create something from all of this.

You can list 3 things that 2016 prompts from you in terms of how to make your world, your next year, your relationships, your life a better place.

You can expand upon your list, of course, but simply naming 3 things helps you to set the patterns for building on the value and meaning you extract from 2016.

Maureen: On our own, Michael, or do you want us to list them here, now?

For this workshop, we are going to ask each of you to do something that puts all of the above into helpful package for later assessment.

Maureen: OK. Thanks!

Treat "2016" as if it were an overleaf term, with a Positive and Negative Pole. Take a few moments to stretch 2016 into a spectrum with a Positive Pole that reflects how it added to your expansion of choice, and a Negative Pole for how it helped to narrow, focus, or restrict your choice. Do this in two rounds: as in, let *anything* no matter how charged and exaggerated come to mind for each Pole, and then do a second round with more consideration.

We know everyone is not a wordsmith, so this is not a test. Use any phrase or colorful wording you like.

Even something symbolic, such a color or sound.

As each of you come up with your 2016 Polarities, you can share as ROUND ONE, and ROUND TWO.

If you only get one set, call it ROUND ONE.

Troy is participating by relaying to us his polarities: ROUND ONE: +PASSION/-ANGER

Maureen: That helps... Thanks!

Janet: I only have one: ROUND ONE -LOSS / +POTENTIAL

Troy: ROUND TWO: +INSPIRATION/-DEFEATED

Bobby: ROUND ONE: I actually tied mine to an Overleaf: Observation. There was much Surveillance through out the year but also some Clarity.

Johanne: round 1:+volunteer work/-conflict

The two rounds are only for the sake of letting your mind move through reactionary descriptions to more thoughtful descriptions, but not all of you will need the two rounds.

Maureen: Allow/Control, Action/Anger, Expression/Passive, Clear/Dark Clouds.

Claire: ROUND ONE: +Potential/-Restriction

Johanne: round 1:+volunteer work/-conflictr

Claire: ROUND TWO: +Action/- and + Surprises

Johanne: round 2: +engagement/-struggle

Maureen: ROUND TWO: +Possibilities/-Stuck

Bobby: ROUND TWO: +Compassion / -Disappointment

In looking at your polarities, whichever set works best for you, the Negative Pole you chose describes your blind spot, your more insidious and oldest wounding, and/or your more specific fear that was unlocked for full exposure in 2016.

Your chosen term for your Positive Pole your path to awakening, your path of healing, your path of transformation.

These two terms for your year hold more insight into your 2016 than anything we can say.

DianeHB: ROUND ONE: +INTIMACY / -DISTANCE

Maureen: This fits: +Gratitude/-Inconvenience

All of 2016 was likely your move through the Negative Pole.

The Positive Pole is what you used to get to where you are today, and this term you chose describes what you intend for 2017.

When you take time to make the lists we suggested, or off the top of your head, you can look at the more painful or "bad" experiences of 2016 and see how these prompted focus on your blind spots, your wounding, your fears, and then look at the best of your experiences and see how these reflected your conscious intent, your healing, your transformation.

Maureen: I can see it was a hugely painful but transformative year, for many. We won't ever forget 2016.

Claire: Heavy, man ;-)

Having this session in mind as you move through 2017 can help you to navigate more cleanly so that you do not get to the end of the year with a great deal of emotional, intellectual, and moving weight that has no bearing on the value and meaning of what you experience.

If it helps, create a quick reference of the information we shared here and check in with it occasionally so that you distribute the weight of experience evenly and uphold Nostalgia, Honesty, and Beauty while allowing the struggles and pain to represent the work to do, and pleasures and joys to represent the work done.

We will take a few questions now.

Yes, Janet.

Janet: Is it likely that the negative and positive poles we listed here will be reflected in our coming 2016 reviews/2017 previews?

Janet: Maybe that’s a silly question. I suspect they certainly will.

Only through your own extrapolation or correlation. We will not determine these polarities for you. Our "quick review and preview" look at other factors from our own perspective, which should find relevance in your own assessment.

Yes, Bobby.

Bobby: Would you be able to give a sentence or two as far as what 2017 may hold for us if that is appropriate

Bobby: I know this was a Turning Point year so something similar along those lines for 2017.

For each of you?

Bobby: No, just generally will suffice

We understand.

2016 is best understood as the Year of Turning Points, while 2017 can best be understood as the Year of Altruism.

It is a year of deep empathy and profound sensitivity that begins to shred any veils and reduce any distance and soften any defenses between SELF and OTHERS.

Many of you already feel you are empathic, sensitive, and proactive, but this is a year where these terms can no longer be used as clever terms to describe yourself. They are capacities that will likely be called upon for all who have any capacity for such.

Many of you are already feeling the drive of Altruism.

Maureen: It's been overwhelming, the atruism, even throughout this year. I don't know how much more I can stretch. I guess I'll find out. I guess we all will.

You want to DO something, to help, to reach out, to stand in solidarity, losing your sense of protection, privilege, or position or wanting that protection, privilege, or position to be of benefit to others.

Altruism is here to stay, but it is finding its footing in 2017. The paths for action and contribution and care have been fairly limited and tend to either be fairly useless or so involved that one cannot truly make a difference without full commitment.

New paths are in the works that allow for quite clear and fairly immediate impact.

For many it is not that you are not doing enough, but that the paths for Altruism were limited by standards set by Young Souls.

We see 2017 as an overhaul to that particular layer of humanity.

Next, Johanne.

Johanne: can you tell us a little bit more about Create Beauty? What we do with what happens to us

That is up to you, but the point would be about how you can make the best of the worst. Using the rather silly analogy of the baseball hitting the face, you cannot do much with this, but you can laugh about it, look at it as comical, let it be a dramatic and funny story in your life, or even warn others that they may get hit if they walk near where you walked. It is the same for any experience. Can you laugh about it? Can you learn from it? Can you teach from it? Can you own it? Can you grow from it? Etc. This is Beauty. These are examples of Beauty.

Next, Claire.

ClaireC: Hi, Michael, a few TLE members have begun studying the feasibility of purchasing an island in the Hebrides off the coast of Scotland and launching an experiment in self-sustainablity. Any thoughts on the probabilities of this happening?

The probabilities are low at this point, but that is no indication of its possibility. If the intent grows, so will the probabilities. At this point, it has not started the Initiation Stage, the first of stages that would indicate follow through.

Last question: Maureen.

Maureen: Michael, would you elaborate on “New paths are in the works that allow for quite clear and fairly immediate impact” for 2017 or will you be addressing this in next year’s Energy Report. It sounds like we will all have opportunities that move us closer to an Older Soul’s form of Altruism.

Older souls will certainly tend to have more sense of resonance to paths created over 2017, but the standards will likely be that of Mature Souls. Mature Souls need real impact, fairly immediate results, dramatic change, and intense investment in outcomes. The current paths are Young and help one to keep his distance, to keep his territory, to keep his privacy and privileges and conveniences. These would not be thrown out for Mature paths, but built upon because there is nothing "wrong" in securing one's own position while using it to help others. The difference is that the priority shifts toward the impact of the help.

However simple this may sound, it would require an overhaul in bureaucracies, a streamlining of processes, and an advancement and accessibility in technlogies.

We cannot say how this will unfold, but it is a priority in the masses, and we do not see how 2017 can conclude at this point without some tremendous advancements in capacity for one group to help another.

We will conclude here for today. Each of you have done Good Work across 2016, and we do not see this changing across 2017. Your Life Tasks and personal Agreements are not only active, but expanding. 2017 is a Year of Humanity, and this will either be embraced or fought with great fear, or both. But more of humanity wishes better for humanity and this matters.

Good day to each of you. Goodbye, for now.

29 people like this

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

In short: what happens TO you matters less than what you DO with what happens to you.

This makes me think of the quote from John Wooden, "things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out".

6 people like this

Interesting ...I just saw this online.  

"Michael Sheen is stepping back from his acting career to fight against the rise of the 'hard populist right' as an activist. 

The accomplished stage and screen actor said the 'demagogic, fascistic' change in politics, including the election of Donald Trump, has prompted his desire to counter it. 

The 47-year-old Welshman said that through grassroots organizing in his home town of Port Talbot, he will fight the rise of the 'hard populist right' which has emerged in the UK, the US, France and Austria.

It means that I would work less as an actor, and possibly stop,' he told The Times.

'Once I'm in, I'm fully in, and this is big. It will be a big change for how people relate to me.'

Sheen has already been outspoken on a number of issues including protecting the NHS and criticising potential changes to freedom of information legislation."

MEntity said in today's MMW:  "The current paths are Young and help one to keep his distance, to keep his territory, to keep his privacy and privileges and conveniences. These would not be thrown out for Mature paths, but built upon because there is nothing "wrong" in securing one's own position while using it to help others. The difference is that the priority shifts toward the impact of the help.

We cannot say how this will unfold, but it is a priority in the masses, and we do not see how 2017 can conclude at this point without some tremendous advancements in capacity for one group to help another."

Edited by Maureen
9 people like this

I love this session so much. I just tried the overleaf exercise and got +Connection & Love/- Obsession for Round One, and + Re-integration/- Self-hate for Round Two. 2016 was actually a revelatory, amazing year for me, personally. I don't know if it's a stage of the 4th IM, or something that happens when you're in your 40's, but this year I reintegrated all this stuff I had rejected in my early 20's, actually at what I am pretty sure was the beginning of my 4th IM, now that I'm typing this that jumps out at me. I have a goal of Discrimination, and it definitely took the form of Rejection when I was younger. I tended to use the term "cutting" quite a bit back then. At 23, I cut out rock and roll boyfriends, stopped going to rock shows, became a hermit in the service of getting good at drawing comics, decided I was going to not only be single, but entirely celibate for two years and that at the end of the two years I would meet the man I would marry (this actually happened, don't ask me how because it sounds like magical thinking), and went back to school for illustration because I knew I had to make a living drawing pictures. My life took the shape it mostly has now. 

In 2016, largely as a result of meeting my local cadence mate, I rediscovered my rock and roll side in a way that felt like a massive celebration, and forgiveness of my younger self. It isn't just music, of course - for the first time in years I talked about relationships I'd been in before Tom, who I've been with for 19 years, and other experiences I had as a younger person, and forgave and even embraced my younger self, and felt gratitude for her. That has all been radical enough, but this friendship also helped me to see my own power fully for the first time, and even my beauty, which I have a really hard time with, and it also made me stop wanting to die, which has been in the back of my mind since my first daughter died five years ago. She was also a cadence mate. They've figured pretty heavily this year.

in any case, pardon the rambling. I will take very good things from this year, personally. Even the period where I was deeply unhappy didn't leave a mark on me, oddly. As for the larger world...well...I can show up for it. I feel that pull of altruism they mentioned.

4 people like this