The giant mess we're in

Leela Corman

• HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL

VACCINE DEBATE/DISCUSSION - This is just a quick request out of honor for the subject of this thread that you start a new thread if any of you wish to debate or discuss vaccines. And all I ask as a favor is that none of you presume you have a lock on the truth about them, and none of you take it personally if someone is finding information different from your own. It would be awesome if all of you who feel certain about your conclusions would just compile a nice list of links or articles in the new thread that helps us to validate and sort the confusing information. Personally, I've had both the strict vaccine and the anti-vaccine people in my life, and each of them still have healthy children as far as I know, so I have to admit it is confusing as to where that line of truth can be drawn. Thanks for your input and consideration. Discussions like this are important, but I do want to keep them clean and clear so they can easily be found again.

• LIKE/LOVE 7

• PRIEST

@Leela Corman, this Q&A I had with Michael at the last ASK Michael might help. Frankly, I need to start taking their advice, as well, as I'm filled with anxiety most days with what's going on in the world right now, especially in the U.S. Although events have speeded up since Trump took office on January 20th it's been like a slow motion accident that I can't take my eyes off. I read so many crisis related posts on FB and then, I often, reply with my wisdom, with my anger, and with my love. It makes me feel like I'm doing something to help and that if even one person "likes" what I post than they will feel less alone in this fight of our lifetime. But ....I can't keep this up. I feel like I'm suffering from PTSD with the Post part left off. How did people get through the two World Wars and all the other "Human" things we've done to each other? How do we do that? I keep on hearing their words in my head that keeps me moving ..."Don't let it happen again. Act. Don't sit back". I need to sort out better what that means to me. I guess part of the answer is in what Michael said below. It's about finding the right balance, for yourself, because none of us can keep up with the unrelenting pace that tyranny's been ramming at us from all over the world. We need to rest, we have to rest, so we can keep on coming back to fight the "good fight". 

Maureen:  This is a personal question but I know many who are experiencing this right now so I’m sure your answer will be universal or at least relatable to many of your students.

Maureen:  I’m having a worse time now, more than ever, with getting a good night’s sleep. It’s due to intense dreaming which I choose not to remember when I wake up because I’m exhausted. I haven’t written any of my dreams out since December 10, 2016. I have no doubt I’m mostly dreaming about “world events” and parts of me are trying to sort things out through conflict resolution, restructuring, etc. Will this get better for me and for many of us as we move into this new year? What can I do to help ease this tension that feels overwhelming in the world right now?

MEntity:  Your instinct to leave your dreams to other parts of you to sort is exactly what you would want to do to give your Personality, your waking self, some rest. Dreams are profound and beautiful ways to explore dimensions of yourself, but they are processes of these other dimensions and you do not always have to monitor them.

MEntity:  Dreaming is like breathing in that you can manage and monitor your breathing in a way that improves your quality of health, but you cannot constantly think to breathe in, breathe out, hold breath, etc. at every moment or you would miss out on the life that breath brings you.

MEntity:  Improve your capacity to manage breathing, but let yourself breathe, too.

MEntity:  The same can be said for dreams.

MEntity:  You are sorting through a great deal in the Astral as these other dimensions of yourself are organizing, negotiating, playing out probabilities, etc. as you sort through the paths and patterns coming in the year ahead. Many of our students are doing this.

MEntity:  Let those dimensions of yourself use their strength to do this, and you enjoy your rest, enjoy your day.

MEntity:  And yes, it will likely ease up toward February.

MEntity:  As for the tensions generated in the world that you feel, you can only choose to take breaks from this by actively engaging in activities or rest that allows for that break. We doubt that our students can ignore the concerns rising, but you can create your outlets of expression, rest, recovery, etc. so that you always have strength. The concerns are not the problem, it is the lack of balance that can be the problem.

MEntity:  Put another way: you must take care of yourself as the best means for taking care of others.

MEntity:  How you do that is something you must explore. Our suggestion is to read something different. READ. Read a great fiction or non-fiction book, but read anything other than that which contributes to your anxiety. Read the words on the page. Read each line. Let your imagination swell and immerse you in the story or study. But read. Slowly. Sensually, Patiently.

MEntity:  This helps to return your synaptic pathways to a better processing of Time so that everything is not pressing in on you.

MEntity:  Adding time in your day to read, to really read, is life-changing in terms of helping to generate healing and restfulness.

Maureen:  Thanks Michael.  That's good advice.  :)

Edited by Maureen
  • LIKE/LOVE 13

@Jana thanks for your question. So, I gave the example of smallpox for a very specific reason. Smallpox didn't just magically disappear in the middle of the last century. It was eradicated, in large part, due to a robust and organized vaccination campaign. This is a very interesting story, rth delving into. There are, if I remember correctly, two samples of smallpox extant, in deep freeze, one in the US and the other in Russia. I cannot imagine a campaign such as the one that eradicated smallpox succeeding now, with our fractured ideas of citizenship and responsibility, and the current class demographics of vaccine denial. That's why I (and people who work in public health, and epidemiologists) am nervous. 

Influenza vax isn't mandatory for most people in the US. I get it every year, after several losses and close calls in my circles. While the pandemic of 1918 was radical, it's only luck that we've not seen anything else on that scale in a while.

Luck, and mass vaccinations. What else could be rampant? Diseases we have vaccines for already, but that some arebecoming  complacent about, such as polio and measles. None of these diseases are a joke. As for emerging epidemics, that's above my pay grade. 

Now let's get back on topic! ;)

• LIKE/LOVE 4

We have a racist right-wing party here in Sweden, The Swedish Democrats. They have risen to number three in popularity with 16.2% of voters behind them. This is mainly because of the refugee crisis. Only the Social Democratic party and the Moderates have more following with 26.7% and 24.3% voters on their side. So what is there to do about that? Not much. We live in a democratic country and so do you in the USA. Strange customs that are difficult to understand, made Trump win with 49% against Clintons 51%?! Still, he has nearly half the nation behind him. I got a question from the older children in my family about why the Swedish Democrats were allowed. I said that the SD were only a projection of certain people's frustration over the current situation. This, because SD was saying the things that those people wanted to hear. SD only exists because of the will of the people and so do Trump. Both would be nothing without the people´s will. The world has listened to the USA preach about freedom of religion and speech along with the values and necessity of democracy for a long time. Many have listened and prosperous countries have been rebuilt on those very words. During this time, USAs own citizens have been discriminated against and had their rights broken. Maybe the US is a country in self-denial and inner tumult, still holding fast to old beliefs but unable to practise those very same beliefs. Trump would then be the festering inside breaking out of a opened wound in the American self-image. If this is so, then let the healing begin! Something good will come out of all of this, I am sure. But bear in mind, Trump is not the problem, he is only a projection, created by the will of that 49 %. Seeds like Trump are everywhere, they only bide their time. In 1924 Hitler only had 3% of the votes but then unemployment, poverty and frustration set in and the German people's will raised him to power. I hope we have learned something along the way and that we can avoid that kind of disaster. Still, maybe I should start learning how to speak Russian, you never know. Still, be gentle towards his "followers", they are the ones in pain. Feeding hate and intolerance with the same only brings forth war and misery. 

• LIKE/LOVE 9

• WARRIOR
59 minutes ago, Hjortur said:

Strange customs that are difficult to understand, made Trump win with 49% against Clintons 51%?! Still, he has nearly half the nation behind him. 

Actually, that's not true.  those percentages you quoted were accurate but ONLY for those that voted.  Half of the eligible voting population didn't even vote.  Americans are notoriously negligent in exercising their right to vote.  So Trump only really won with about 25% of the population supporting him.  The same would be true even if Hillary won. However, if Hillary had won, I doubt we'd be seeing the things play out that we are with Trump. 

• LIKE/LOVE 14

@Bobby

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

Actually, that's not true.  those percentages you quoted were accurate but ONLY for those that voted.  Half of the eligible voting population didn't even vote.  Americans are notoriously negligent in exercising their right to vote.  So Trump only really won with about 25% of the population supporting him.  The same would be true even if Hillary won. However, if Hillary had won, I doubt we'd be seeing the things play out that we are with Trump. 

I am sorry, I didn´t know. That´s a high degree of democratic negligence. I agree that Hillary would have been better. Still, maybe this is the crucial moment for the USA as a nation, the transition from young to mature consciousness. That kind of transition is bound to be explosive. 

• LIKE/LOVE 7

@Maureen, thank you for asking about this. I've been much in the same place, an impossible amount of dreams and not much wish to record them. I also had a hard time falling asleep, so I went back to reading a book. (Nicole Krauss, The History of Love -- oddly enough!) It has indeed helped :)

Hugs to you all, folks.

• LIKE/LOVE 4

2 hours ago, Jana said:

Okay, but is that itself true? Not saying it is or is not, but we have to question that.

https://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/why-i-believe-the-roguepotusstaff-twitter-is-legitimately-a-white-house-staffer/1325/

I should have been clearer but I was posting on the fly... you just made the point I meant to make. We shouldn't accept that the account is true or dismiss it outright, but stay wary. The case for the account being Russian is a compelling case, though. I'll find the link.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Sometimes I really just crash and burn over this subject. This week was a week of plummeting. I need to re-read the E-Report. I'm just venting because... well, the mess is a giant one and it got personally very messy this week for me. Virtual hugs all around. ?

• LIKE/LOVE 5

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Sometimes I really just crash and burn over this subject. This week was a week of plummeting. I need to re-read the E-Report. I'm just venting because... well, the mess is a giant one and it got personally very messy this week for me. Virtual hugs all around. 1f917.png

Hugs indeed!

• LIKE/LOVE 3

thenAll,

Someone mentioned PTSD, and I can concur with that one.  It's just so frustrating not knowing what is truth and what isn't these days.  I was getting to the point of getting rid of my FB account because I was hyper agitated just seeing his name everywhere.  I've got quite a few high school friends, and some others that just, we just seem to be living in "across the street" parallels on what is going on.  I think many, like I"ve witnessed before, with Bush people, is that they want someone to be the Big Daddy with the big stick.  They are incapable of seeing what the consequences could be.  Selfish, is my word for it.  I just want to keep my own kind in my own bubble.  This whole election was grueling, I'm tired.  At the same time, I am thinking of what I can do.  Sometimes I see clarity but then go on FB, and then smething to burst my bubble.  I do honestly believe we have more compassionate people, here in the USA.  I also feel the Republican base just thinks this is just an ordinary election, which we are sore losers.  And there so smug about it.  I want to bash them.  They don't care about the racism; they don't care about defeated people at the airports.  I think they are incapable of seeing them as people.  They're just Muslims in their eyes.  I really don't know how to reach them.  They are going to have to be affected by something, first.  So, of course, then we are too.  The only thing I can do is sign petitions, send donations, and be kind and compassionate to everyone.  I don't live in an area that would be much affected by any of this so I feel frustrated with that too.

There are so many things to be fearful about, like will he get us into wars with other countries besides the ones we're already in?  I am going to do the best I can to support anything to do with the environment.  I have to do something, because what I do not have any control over, still cracks my heart wide open, like Standing Rock.  The blatant black out of our government, media and most Americans is so disbelieving that this is what we have become as a country.  I do try to keep the fear at bay, though.  I won't make it if I don't do that.  I've had terrible thoughts about things, I almost feel I need to go to confession or something.  (Cracks joke).  Seriously though, I am not one who you should give a gun to.  I might shoot somebody.  I get that angry.  Our own Congress is rogue too.  They are just bidding their time so they can get their radical, evil laws out.  We need a whole redo of our government, and maybe that is why we are where we are now.  A total breakdown.  No wonder we have fears.  I am visualizing, though.  It's just hard to get a good hold on it, without the distractions of what is now, getting in the way.  Thanks for listening.

I can't seem to edit well, it gets all whacked out with missing letters so you'll just have to deal with misspellings. 

Edited by Lori Abrams
mispellings lol
  • LIKE/LOVE 7

17 hours ago, Bobby said:

Let's not forget the disenfranchisement that went on, like when I think it was a southern state where they admitted to removing eligible black voters from the roles for no reason other than to keep them from voting for Clinton. And that is just one tactic for keeping minorities from the polls. There were ridiculous voter ID laws as well that mostly affected poor people who are not likely to have IDs, or closing every DMV until only one DMV was left for whole counties where the majority population was black or Hispanic, and then reducing the hours it was open. I wish I could remember which states these examples came from but I'm pretty sure they were all southern states. And I don't need an ID at all to vote in my district and never have. Those ID laws are stupid.  

People came out to vote. I think as many people as the number of folks who voted in 2008 and 2012. I had to wait for a good hour before I could get into my polling place and the line wrapped around the block and then went on for another four blocks. And that was around 7am. 

And in so many other countries people are automatically registered to vote. But in our country we need to opt in. If people were automatically registered here more people would vote. So my point is that it's not that people are uninterested in voting, but that obstacles to voting exist for a large number of people in this country. I didn't even mention other obstacles to voting that minority communities also face. That orange nightmare didn't win fairly and he doesn't reflect the will of The People.

And this is the second time that the candidate who won the popular vote still didn't win the election because of the electoral college. It's probably time we demand an overhaul of our voting system. It isn't working. 

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 8

• WARRIOR
6 hours ago, ckaricai said:

There were ridiculous voter ID laws as well that mostly affected poor people who are not likely to have IDs, or closing every DMV until only one DMV was left for whole counties where the majority population was black or Hispanic, and then reducing the hours it was open. I wish I could remember which states these examples came from but I'm pretty sure they were all southern states. And I don't need an ID at all to vote in my district and never have. Those ID laws are stupid.  

Cary, I think Alabama was the State that comes to mind for what you were saying about severely limiting DMV offices and yes that was done very purposefully.  I wasn't discounting any of that when I was speaking about general voter apathy.  Because of the two candidates that were available, many chose not to cast a vote as if that was somehow acceptable because neither fit their ideal of what a candidate should be.  Too many I think expect politicians to be perfect or Saviors and they just aren't.  What is true based upon the choices we had was that one candidate was bragging about about what he would do if he won and now that he has won is doing as far as denying people the rights they have and one was looking to uphold and protect those rights even with all of her other faults.  I can't help but hear that shrill Sarah Palin voice now asking "how's that workin out for ya?"   Yeah, elections have consequences :(

• LIKE/LOVE 6

On 2/3/2017 at 7:45 AM, Bobby said:

Cary, I think Alabama was the State that comes to mind for what you were saying about severely limiting DMV offices and yes that was done very purposefully.  I wasn't discounting any of that when I was speaking about general voter apathy.  Because of the two candidates that were available, many chose not to cast a vote as if that was somehow acceptable because neither fit their ideal of what a candidate should be.  Too many I think expect politicians to be perfect or Saviors and they just aren't.  What is true based upon the choices we had was that one candidate was bragging about about what he would do if he won and now that he has won is doing as far as denying people the rights they have and one was looking to uphold and protect those rights even with all of her other faults.  I can't help but hear that shrill Sarah Palin voice now asking "how's that workin out for ya?"   Yeah, elections have consequences :(

Ah, I knew it was some southern state. My progressive friends were all about voting for Johnson or that other one as either a protest vote or as a way to get the green party to 5% so it would gain enough of a percentage to be a viable third party option. They were all butt hurt about Bernie still. 

• LIKE/LOVE 1

• 4 weeks later...

Links to Canadian Broadcasting Corporation articles regarding refugees crossing from the states of Minnesota and North Dakota, into the Canadian province of Manitoba.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/topic/Collections/Refugees crossing U.S. border into Manitoba

Analysis: Should Liberals let asylum seekers from U.S. enter Canada safely at border crossings? 
Critics say suspend deal with U.S. that makes risky, illegal border crossings necessary
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/asylum-seekers-border-safety-1.4007464 

3 hours ago, WolfAmethyst said:

Links to Canadian Broadcasting Corporation articles regarding refugees crossing from the states of Minnesota and North Dakota, into the Canadian province of Manitoba.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/topic/Collections/Refugees crossing U.S. border into Manitoba

Analysis: Should Liberals let asylum seekers from U.S. enter Canada safely at border crossings? 
Critics say suspend deal with U.S. that makes risky, illegal border crossings necessary
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/asylum-seekers-border-safety-1.4007464 

Yeah, it's not going to stop until they change the rules. I don't understand why the Canadian government is so reluctant to do so. Maybe they think keeping it difficult is deterring more people from trying to get here. But I'm sure the folks in the border towns would disagree with that assessment! People are desperate to get away from Trump's policies (and potential deportation). I can't blame them.