TRAVEL PLANS: Offers & Requests

• HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
Troy

Use this thread to request or offer sharing rides, car rentals, riding the bus together, etc.

• ARTISAN
Janet

I will be flying into Newark again and renting a car. Let me know if you're interested in a ride from/to that airport. I'll leave from Hertz at the airport late morning on Friday and my return flight leaves at 6:20 pm on Tuesday. It's about a 2 hour drive when all goes well. 

• WARRIOR
Bobby
3 minutes ago, Janet said:

I will be flying into Newark again and renting a car. Let me know if you're interested in a ride from/to that airport. I'll leave from Hertz at the airport late morning on Friday and my return flight leaves at 6:20 pm on Tuesday. It's about a 2 hour drive when all goes well. 

Janet, if it can be done, I would like a ride like last year.  Have you scheduled your flight yet?  Let me know either way and I'll see if I can coordinate the same leg as you into Newark.

• ARTISAN
Janet

@Bobby - I'm on SWA 860 on Thursday. Unlike previous years when my flight arrived late at night, this one arrives in time for dinner. I'm using points for a night at the airport Doubletree. SWA 741 on the return. 

NickG

I put this in another thread but I'll repost here. I'm driving from Ohio so if anyone needs to be picked up I can fit 4 people in my car. 

BrianW

I'm currently debating between driving up there from Washington DC sometime Friday morning to arrive around 3 (hopefully) in Rosendale, or taking the Bolt bus to NYC and then the bus to / from Rosendale. 

Bolt Bus from DC to NYC would leave Union Station in DC at 7:30 AM and arrive at 429 11th Ave in NYC around 11:45 AM, which Google claims is only 10 minutes away from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC, where I'd pick up the bus to Rosendale, leaving NYC at 1:30 and arrive in Rosendale at 3:20 PM. With travel time from my apartment to Union Station in DC having me awake and semi-functioning by 5 AM, plus potentially getting lost in NYC (I've never been and it looks like it'd be dropping me off right in midtown), I'd worry if I'd be exhausted and drained by the time I arrived :(

Alternatively, I could drive from DC to Rosendale and supposedly be there in 5-7 hours and probably stand a good chance of being able to enjoy the late afternoon and evening with everyone.

Anyone have any suggestions or insight into either option? I can easily pick up people along the route if needed (looks like it's a near straight shot of I-95 to I-87).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I plan to fly into NYC in the early morning, hang out in my company's office very close to Penn Station for a few hours, and then head out to the site in the afternoon. I'm flexible about departure time, but would prefer after 2pm. Let me know if anyone is considering driving from the area at the time, or if you want to take the bus together?

• LIKE/LOVE 2
DanielaS

I decided to fly into Albany this year to avoid the New York/Newark area and the scene of last year's driving trauma.  ? I'll still be renting a car but it's only about an hour and twenty minute drive in less congestion. Hoping for a more relaxing drive than last year!

Edited by DanielaS
DianeHB
On 7/2/2017 at 6:22 AM, Janet said:

Janet, we haven't bought our tickets yet, but I'm looking at arriving on Friday morning again like last time. Please save a seat for me and Tex!

I am probably going to drive from New Mexico again this year. So if anyone needs a ride let me know and hopefully we can work something out.

Martha

I'm trying to figure out my plan, and I'm wondering about the logistics of arriving in NYC and schlepping my crap to the bus station vs flying in to Newark or Albany. Advice on ease of getting from JFK/Laguardia to the bus station?  

La guardia is closer to the bus station. I believe there's a shuttle bus to/from the airport, you probably want to check out their schedules online. JFK is further from the city but it has a train that can get you in. One transfer is needed. Flight tickets are cheaper for La Guardia typically.

DanielaS

@Martha If you decide to fly into Albany, I land at 3:40 on Friday and fly out at 10:50 am on Tuesday. I'd be happy to give you a ride both ways if it works for you.

• ARTISAN
Janet

@DianeHB -- I'm leaving seats for you, Tex and Bobby. So my car from Newark is essentially full. 

This year I'm getting the Hertz fuel option so we don't have to panic about refueling before getting to the airport. ? 

• LIKE/LOVE 1
Heidi

@DanielaS I haven't arranged my flight yet, but maybe I could shoot for Albany and drive with you if there's room?

Otherwise, plan for now is likely to fly to LaGuardia and take the bus.

• LIKE/LOVE 1
DanielaS

@Heidi I would love that if it works for you! I know since Albany is a smaller airport it's hard to get non-stops. So trade-off of the bus and a longer drive is an extra airport stop.

• THANK YOU! 1
Martha

I'm leaning toward Albany as well, looked like about the same amount of miles as NYC. I need to spend some quality time looking at flight options soon.:)

• LIKE/LOVE 1
Martha
On 7/31/2017 at 0:06 PM, DanielaS said:

@Martha If you decide to fly into Albany, I land at 3:40 on Friday and fly out at 10:50 am on Tuesday. I'd be happy to give you a ride both ways if it works for you.

I think this might be my best option. Not much difference in miles used between NYC vs ALB and with my physical issues this looks like a much less exhausting path. Although there are a few flights via JFK that look cheap enough $$ wise that it would be worth saving the miles, but past experience tells me exhausting myself on the travel days can ruin the trip overall. I'll figure it out in the next couple of days!! 

Edited by Martha
  • LIKE/LOVE 2
DianeHB

So I'm looking at plane tickets and found that the direct flights back to Seattle either leave at 4pm or 7:40pm on Tuesday. I'd rather not take the 7:40pm flight because I have to get up at 6:30 am the next morning for work. Since I don't want Janet to have to leave early and miss the brunch, is there anyone else who is leaving around noon or earlier that can take me and Tex to Newark?

Edited by DianeHB
  • LIKE/LOVE 1
  • WARRIOR

@Cong and @AnnHI will probably take the Trailways bus also. My plans are still up in the air, but will probably fly into and out of JFK. Would love to take the bus with you.

Here's the bus schedule to and from Rosendale

https://trailwaysny.com/bus-rosendale-to-new-york-city/

2 pm seems to be the best time to depart to get there after 3. Is that what you're thinking?

Edited by Uma
1 minute ago, Uma said:

@Cong and @AnnHI will probably take the Trailways bus also. My plans are still up in the air, but will probably fly into and out of JFK. Would love to take the bus with you.

Here's the bus schedule to and from Rosendale

https://trailwaysny.com/bus-rosendale-to-new-york-city/

2 pm seems to be the best time to depart to get there after 3. Is that what you're thinking?

Hmm last time I checked, the best time is 130pm. I don't know there's a 2pm one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

I am landing in JFK at 10:38am on Fri. I'm planning on taking the bus. @Cong, @Uma, and @AnnH, maybe I can ride with you guys if you are leaving NYC at 1:30?? It looks like a train from JFK to the bus station takes about an hour, so I should be able to make it there in time if I don't eff things up!

Is anyone leaving early in the am on Tuesday to JFK? I fly out at 11:35am. If so, maybe we could bus back together...or if someone is driving, I'd happily help with gas, etc. Let me know. :)