ckaricai

Net Neutrality and how to save it. (U.S.)

ckaricai

Copied from Facebook:

Q: WTF IS "NET NEUTRALITY"?
A: The cheap and openly accessible Internet you have now.
Q: WHAT IS THE FCC PLANNING TO DO?
A: Turn this into cable - a handful of giant telecom corporations (ex: COMCAST) control what you get and at what speed - and you end up paying a boatload just for the privilege of using it at all.
Q: WHOSE INTEREST IS THIS IN?
A: Exactly only those companies. The FCC Chair is an ex Verizon exec. Apple, Facebook, Google, Netflix, and all of Silicon Valley oppose this.
Q: HOW CAN I STOP THIS?
A: 1. Call and e-mail the three members of the 5-person FCC planning to vote for it along party lines:
Main #: 1-888-225-5322
Chairman Pai: Ajit.Pai@fcc.gov
Commmissioner Rielly: Mike.O'Rielly@fcc.gov
Commissioner Carr: Brendan.Carr@fcc.gov
2. Leave a public comment for the FCC.
Go to THIS PAGE on the FCC web site:
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings…
On the lefthand side, in the box labelled "Dockets", click the word "+Express" at the bottom and a form will pop up. Express away!
Q: HOW DO I SHARE THIS INFO?
A: Make sure to COPY AND PASTE. If you try just sharing, it won't work.
Q: WON'T THIS JUST "WORK ITSELF OUT WHEN PEOPLE COME TO THEIR SENSES?"
A: Ask yourself why they're rushing this through now during the holidays, and - not kidding - when John Oliver's show (which shut down the last attempt) is off-season.
ECFS
FCC.GOV

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU! 2

ckaricai

Thanks for catching that Janet! I posted from my phone and didn't tap all the links. Just sat down at my computer to send the emails.

I'll fix the link.

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 1

KurtisM

Its disgusting these companies are trying so damn hard to censor and politically control what's been one of our greatest movements into the mature paradigm in this parallel.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

ckaricai
12 minutes ago, KurtisM said:

Its disgusting these companies are trying so damn hard to censor and politically control what's been one of our greatest movements into the mature paradigm in this parallel.

Totally agreed. It also seems like getting rid of net neutrality could lead to an internet monopoly or possible government regulation to the point where foreign websites would be locked behind a firewall or anyone trying to organize a protest or any site hosting organizing messages would be banned. Something like that would change the character of the US completely. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • WHAT/WOW! 1
  • ANGRY 2

Aaron(space)Kraft

At the current rate it looks like the FCC will pass their repeal of net neutrality rules in December. However, whatever they pass will probably get caught up in a minefield of litigation. Hopefully that means there's a chance to repeal the repeal, but it'll be a ongoing battle.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

ckaricai
1 minute ago, Aaron(space)Kraft said:

At the current rate it looks like the FCC will pass their repeal of net neutrality rules in December. However, whatever they pass will probably get caught up in a minefield of litigation. Hopefully that means there's a chance to repeal the repeal, but it'll be a ongoing battle.

So, booooo, but also, maybe yay? 

• SAD 1

Sam K
9 hours ago, Aaron(space)Kraft said:

Yep.  The FCC has to justify in court any major regulatory changes like this.  Given that they just finished fighting a huge battle to get net neutrality put in place a couple years ago, they're going to have a LOT of trouble justifying throwing it all out, especially given how popular it is.  They'll try to argue that it's hurt the ability of telecom companies to invest in new development, but that's pretty easily disproven by the facts.

Of course, I honestly doubt Ajit Pai cares whether or not it gets overturned after he passes it; all that matters to him is that it passes the initial vote.  Then he'll have done as he was told and can look forward to a plush position back at Verizon once he's out of office.

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • THANK YOU! 1