Leela Corman

Fictional Formation of a Sacral Link

Leela Corman

This is a bit of a cross-post, since I just posted this link in a comment elsewhere. I recently saw this film, and there's a part in it that jumped out at me; it seemed like a fictional depiction of two people forming a sacral link. A pair of lovers, one a German Jew and the other a Polish partisan, escape from a concentration camp in the final months of the Second World War. There is a moment where they make love in the woods, and though there are no words spoken in the scene, it's clear that it's the first time they've ever been able to take off their clothes in front of each other. As they remove their tattered camp uniforms, their emaciated bodies are revealed, covered in bruises and cuts from the beatings they've taken. But that's presented as fact for the viewer; the characters are just relieved and overjoyed to feel safe and loved for a moment. It's such an intense moment. I watched it and thought about how powerful those moments of mutual survival are, and felt awe that my sacral links with people might have formed in similar moments (though I assume they're not all as "fun").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_(2011_film)

• LIKE/LOVE 7