Lila

The Myers-Briggs -personality test is quite popular nowadays. Many psychologists consider it as non-scientific and prefer the Big Five instead, but I do see that the Big Five has a lot in common with MBTI. This personality theory was originally developed by Carl Jung who invented the terms "introvert" and "extrovert" and who speculated that humans experience the world using four principal psychological functions – sensation, intuition, feeling, and thinking – and that one of these four functions is dominant for a person most of the time. Isabella Myers and Catherine Briggs then developed these ideas further.

Anyway, in MBTI you tend to prefer one of the following functions:

Extroversion vs Introversion (E/I)

Sensing vs Intuition (S/N)

Thinking vs Feeling (T/F)

Judging vs Perceiving (J/P)

• Extroverts tend to be the social animals and they are energized by the outer world, where introverts turn inside and after socializing need a lot of time to charge their batteries.
  • Sensors are practical, factual - believe it only if I see it types, where intuitive types are big picture oriented, see possibilities and look to the future. Sensors depend on their five senses but the intuitives also use the sixth sense.
  • Thinkers prefer using logic, and keep themselves objective. Feelers are value, harmony and compassion -oriented. According to various studies, there is a clear gender-difference in these ones: 65% of men prefer thinking and 60% women prefer feeling.
  • Judgers tend to be planned and well organized, punctual people who like structure in their lives. Perceivers are more spontaneous, flexible and tend to go with the flow.

All these are preferences, so even those who prefer thinking, may also have feelings. Or a feeler can use logic if necessary. Introverts can have a conversation in a social situation, (unless they have developed a social phobia). These functions are combined to personality types, such as ESTJ, ESFP, INFP etc. In general population (USA) all the other functions are close to equal, except the gender difference in T/F and Sensing vs Intuition, where there's a 75%/25% ratio, Sensing being more common. In the 1960's, extroverts were more commonly found than introverts, but nowadays, this difference seems to be gone. A certain function within a personality type can also be considered dominant, like N in INFJ.

This lengthy introduction actually have a link to Michael Teachings and other metaphysical stuff as well. I'm in a facebook-group in which people think that they are old souls. The concept has been adopted from the Michael Teachings and there is a description what kind of people old souls tend to be. Personally, I don't care about their (or my) soul age, but it is just nice to hang around with like-minded people. The main focus is in spirituality and spiritual growth. Essence role or overleaves have not been discussed in the group, except with those who are familiar with the Michael Teachings. Not very many are.

This group is big and same questions are often recycled. MBTI-personality types have been among the most popular and most often asked questions. Hundreds, perhaps even thousands of people have told their MBTI-type. It turned out, that approximately 70-75% of all the respondents told that they type was INFP, INFJ, INTJ or INTP. 20% belonged to the other intuitive, extrovert types. The sensors - 75% or the population - are almost nonexistent in the group. The same pattern is seen also in the astrological groups, where I also spend  a lot of time. Perhaps the intuitive, thinking types are a bit more common than feeling types, since there's a lot of maths in astrology. The internet itself seems to attract a lot of introverted, intuitive types, where they have more chances to express themselves more thoroughly than in fast-paced real-life-situations.

If you are familiar with the MBTI, have you found any correlation with that system and the Michael Teachings? And is intuition and introversion really a sign of maturation of the soul?

Edited by Lila
  • LIKE/LOVE 5

DianeHB

Hi Lila, there was a question asked about correlations of introversion and extroversion to the Michael Teachings (see link below). There are various traits that can make one tend toward one or the other, but there are no precise correlations. I think older souls can tend toward introversion mainly because introspection doesn't really begin to be explored until the Mature soul age, and when one is exploring the self and comparing the self to others (which commonly leads to Arrogance and Self-Dep as protection methods), I can see how introversion would become more common. 

I've personally found my MBTI results to change over the years as I've grown and changed. Just about the only thing that hasn't changed for me over the years is the Introversion, but that has been changing in the last year or so. I went from being extremely shy and intellectual when I was younger to more social and relational. Because MBTI results come from self-assessment, they can change over time. I also have both intellectual/thinking capabilities and emotional/sensing capabilities, and I tend to hover around the middle and easily flip to one side or the other depending on what my focus is at the time. For those reasons MBTI hasn't been all that useful for me other than an assessment of where I am in the moment. 

Edited by DianeHB
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

Luciana Flora

I know the MBTI. I have already studied several methods to know the personality. I found myself different from most people so I started a quest to get better. And in this search also found the MBTI.

I did tests on the internet and most gave INFJ. But after a while I did the test again and the result varied. The only thing that does not change is the I and the J. Perhaps these are the most constant characters in my personality. From childhood I'm introverted.

I remember until one time I went on a children's program. And I was one of the people delivering flowers to the presenter. And the hostess said, "But she's so shy." I was 5 years old at the time.

I think most people see me as intellectual. But when I read that intellectual part tends to rationalize emotions then I being emotional center made sense to me

Maxim [memorial profile]

I did the meyers briggs several years ago and got INFP.  It was interesting but compared to the Michael Teaching seems very simplistic.

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Lila
6 hours ago, Maxim said:

I did the meyers briggs several years ago and got INFP.  It was interesting but compared to the Michael Teaching seems very simplistic.

I bet that MBTI is popular because it is fairly simplistic and focuses only to basic temperament and what kind of choices you tend to do with that temperament. The system is not trying to find a flaw from you.

@DianeHB and @Luciana Flora : Thank you Diane HB for that link, I'm new in the forum and hadn't seen it yet.

I was also extremely shy and sensitive (with vivid imagination and rich dream-life) when I was a kid and have known that I'm an introvert since the late teens. Maturation, practice and life experience have done their work and if you met me, you'd probably consider me quite laid-back, confident and not shy. You might even think that I'm an extrovert, but I'm not. It hasn't changed anywhere. I'm just not afraid of people as I used to be in childhood. Dreams are still important to me and I have used interpretation of dreams as a tool in self-development and self-understanding and later on as a contact channel to my guides. As a child I just didn't understand them yet.

I've usually scored INFJ/P in MBTI, but obviously I'm sliding more to intellectual part as I'm getting older. I've always been able to use logic (I'm a scientist), but now it seems to come more naturally than before and I've become quite inventive lately. So, sometimes I score INTJ.

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Luciana Flora

I find it interesting that shyness is associated with arrogance. I've always considered myself shy since I was a child. And I have double self-depreciation.

I have no self depreciation debt on me. I can not remember a single moment when I felt superior to other people.

At school I was extra nervous at the time of the assessments because I never thought I was ready. I almost did not attend class because I thought I would probably do something stupid. For me I would abolish this thing of presenting seminars at school and college. IoI

I pulled away from people during a phase of my life because I did not think I was a good friend. So even eat shyness I have no doubt about self-depreciation. It's always been about not being good enough and inadequate.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Lila

@Luciana Flora Arrogance and self-depriciation are the opposite poles of the same axis and I think that shyness can be associated to them both, depending on upbringing and other childhood experiences. Arrogance was clearly mine, but I occasionally flipped to self-depreciation if I felt that I had failed in something. In my late teens I took failure really hard and I actually had to teach myself away from perfectionism and being too demanding to myself. I just appreciated my mental health more than perfect performances. I just decided to do what I'm capable of at a given situation at the given time.

It's also interesting that even though I was very shy, I was perfectly capable of playing in amateur theater when I was growing up. It was actually quite fun, even though I wasn't a particularly talented actor. The shyness only limited my social life but not my other activities. 

Edited by Lila
  • LIKE/LOVE 4

Luciana Flora
6 hours ago, Lila said:

@Luciana Flora Arrogance and self-depriciation are the opposite poles of the same axis and I think that shyness can be associated to them both, depending on upbringing and other childhood experiences. Arrogance was clearly mine, but I occasionally flipped to self-depreciation if I felt that I had failed in something. In my late teens I took failure really hard and I actually had to teach myself away from perfectionism and being too demanding to myself. I just appreciated my mental health more than perfect performances. I just decided to do what I'm capable of at a given situation at the given time.

It's also interesting that even though I was very shy, I was perfectly capable of playing in amateur theater when I was growing up. It was actually quite fun, even though I wasn't a particularly talented actor. The shyness only limited my social life but not my other activities. 

So it is different  Whith me. My  shynees  was about everything. And i was real  insecure every  time i  would do something  new. But i  think my  insecurets  are getting better now. 

Edited by Luciana Flora
  • LIKE/LOVE 3

Lila
19 hours ago, Luciana Flora said:

So it is different  Whith me. My  shynees  was about everything. And i was real  insecure every  time i  would do something  new. But i  think my  insecurets  are getting better now. 

This is actually quite interesting considering that your Essence role seems to be a Warrior. So, currently your Chief Feature (and possibly other overleaves) completely inhibits you to be You. I'd think that even older Warriors would be quite confident and active when the Essence has a chance to step out. Has your 4th internal monad started already?

Edited by Lila
  • LIKE/LOVE 1

Luciana Flora
1 hour ago, Lila said:

This is actually quite interesting considering that your Essence role seems to be a Warrior. So, currently your Chief Feature (and possibly other overleaves) completely inhibits you to be You. I'd think that even older Warriors would be quite confident and active when the Essence has a chance to step out. Has your 4th internal monad started already?

it is true. It's exactly what I've been thinking about. Insecurity does not seem warrior character.

And I was quite surprised when I got my profile when I read Warrior. But my self-deprecation seems to be strong though I think it's making me less insecure.

I have a POF bookmarked for this month and I plan to address this.

But I do not know becuse as my insecurity diminishes I'm becoming more active. So maybe it's just a matter of wounding or self-depreciation. As I said I will address this in my next POF.

Edited by Luciana Flora
  • LIKE/LOVE 2