Lila

Suits

Lila

I've been entertaining myself by watchings the Suits. It's in Netflix and season 7 is currently running on TV. If you haven't watched it, it tells about a law firm which mainly takes rich enterprises to its customers and keep them rich. The environment is quite competitive, everyone is trying to beat one another in smartness and one of the main characters is obsessed with winning and occasionally flips to the wrong side of the law to get what he wants. One of the partners seem to have some kind of a borderline disorder and is very vindictive when he feels that someone has hurt him. So, this is very young soulish. The main character is hired to the firm even though he hasn't a diploma from law, but he actually cares about justice and causes, at least once in a while. Eventually he gets in trouble for being a fake-lawyer. An early mature soul perhaps? 

So, this is entertaining to me, because I really don't know people like this in real life, at least not very many. I've never worked in an environment, which would be so competitive. According to Michael Finland (my home country) consists mostly of mature and old souls and even though my own social circle is not a proof of that, there might be some truth in that that  the young soul phase is not prevalent in my country. It's a good reminder though, that even this is fiction, people like that probably exist. Perhaps I was like that in ancient history and now I just entertain myself by reminding me what it was like.

I can also imagine how difficult it is to older souls to cope in a young soul environment. It look that there is not much common ground in there.

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • LOL 2

Lila

I'd guess that even baby souls are more common in Finland than young souls - Finland has its own Bible belt.

michael_k

I've always thought Finland sounded like a fascinating country ever since I started listening to Nightwish. I like how the culture seems very quiet and reserved compared to other places as I am a bit introverted myself. Where I live, Australia, is the opposite of Finland in some ways (apart from climate ?), we have many Young Souls here and the expected pace of society can be disorientating and daunting as you are expected to follow certain protocol (unemployment/welfare dependency can be very frowned upon here, but we do have a good welfare system compared to the rest of the world) but you do get used to it and make peace with it the more you live here. I have to admit though, it has played a part in me shutting myself out though but I'm trying to work through that as that plan hasn't worked well! ?

It might not be as hindering to me as it could be since I am from Melbourne which is quite possibly the Mature Soul capital of Australia with a lot of left-politics compared to elsewhere in the country. I have been to northern Queensland before and the attitude seemed very different and it can be observed in the politics from afar, a LOT more Baby Souls there and more anti-refugee, anti-same sex marriage sentiment and general conservatism. Most of the older souls seem to reside in the cities here, and possibly in Tasmania also.

• LIKE/LOVE 1

H2nna

My parents and most relatives are all steadily manifesting young (all Finnish!), useful when I need to loan money, otherwise not so much!?

They are really mature souls though, even in old soul countries most people will NOT manifest their true soul age!!!! I think Michael once said that only 10% of people will manifest at their true level, but maybe, hopefully, the percentage is bit higher now.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Lila
37 minutes ago, michael_k said:

I have been to northern Queensland before and the attitude seemed very different and it can be observed in the politics from afar, a LOT more Baby Souls there and more anti-refugee, anti-same sex marriage sentiment and general conservatism. Most of the older souls seem to reside in the cities here, and possibly in Tasmania also.

There's a lot of this attitude in Finland as well, and as we recently had a refugee crisis, it could be seen that there are basically two parties in Finland: The liberals and the "Close the borders" -group. The liberals have mistakenly thought that the majority of Finland is liberal, but the latter group has certainly made its opinions known. I guess that the mature and old souls often live in cities, but some of them also move back to the countryside after they've got enough of the city life.

In northern Finland it was quite common to see both fundamental Christians and fundamental communists just a few decades ago. Both were equally opinionated and mostly hated each other. Folks up north have similar characters as the seasons: very black and white... you know.... no nights during summers and no days during winters.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

WolfAmethyst

This definitely resonates here in the part of Canada / USA which could be considered "New Scandinavia".  A certain comic strip called "Scandinavia and the World" always makes me laugh.  https://satwcomic.com 

The world's largest Finnish community outside of Finland exists within my home city of Thunder Bay, Ontario.  
Most of the Icelandic community is around Gimli, Manitoba.  
The Swedes are mostly in northern Minnesota (blue counties),
with the Norwegians scattered throughout.

The show "Suits" is actually filmed in the part of downtown Toronto, Ontario where my parents lived while attending university and starting their careers.  A lot of the "Young Soul" storyline aspects of the show are the same reasons my parents decided not to live in Toronto long-term.  

I've often thought the show "Suits" could be considered far less fictional than intended:

A lot of people I've met who lived in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) but are happier "up North" either seem to be manifesting Baby-Young, or Mature-Old.

Most people I've met who are happiest living in the GTA seem to be somewhere between Young-Mature.  At the Young end, it's easy to see when they're more competitive, more focused on appearance and "marketing their brand", and more concerned with designer labels, owning a big house, spending money in very visible ways.

On the Mature end, it's easy to see when they want to be closer to the big government power bases, Canadian media headquarters, business companies, and scholarly research groups through which government, social services, infrastructure, human rights laws...can be improved to include benefits to more of humanity and the environment.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Lila
11 hours ago, WolfAmethyst said:

The show "Suits" is actually filmed in the part of downtown Toronto, Ontario where my parents lived while attending university and starting their careers.  A lot of the "Young Soul" storyline aspects of the show are the same reasons my parents decided not to live in Toronto long-term.  

By the way, I've been watching the "Murdoch Mysteries" as well. I'm not sure if it's actually filmed in Toronto? But this series contains a lot of stuff I like: Sherlock Holmes -type of murder mysteries, some creepiness, storylines connected to some real historical events, supernatural themes (which usually turn out to be tricks), feminism, romance, inventiveness and great characters. At first I thought that the series was British, because William Murdoch seemed to be an archetype of an 19th C English gentleman.

Yes, I'm aware that a lot of Nordic people live around the Great Lakes. Some of them might be even my own relatives. I know that lots of them moved to America or Canada about 100 years ago. Some Finns also moved to Canada to start idealistic colonies, like Sointula near Vancouver. Matti Kurikka, who established Sointula had background in theosophy and leftist politics and supported free love. There were some in the Southern America as well and the founders were usually educated, idealistic and very impractical people. Most of the idealistic communities have died since idealism collided with realism. You don't start a community with ideas only! Hard labor and understanding the realities are important too.

Edited by Lila