Astra

Mari Lynn

Question

Mari Lynn

Hi Folks,

I know that Astra is a part of this community, and some of you had the pleasure of meeting her at one of the TLEGG's 2 or so yrs ago. I did not meet her, but I feel compellingly connected to her cancer process...and I just found out that she is in hospice. I am terribly broken up about it. Trying to wrap my head around it. Deep waves of grief coming over me. I just wanted to know how others here are feeling, and how you might be processing it. I really get a sense she touches this community greatly with her Presence. I feel profound sadness as well as overwhelming love.

Finding out today she's in hospice comes on the heels of finding out a good friend's 90 yr old father got tragically killed in a pedestrian/car crash-found this out yesterday. And then of course the Florida school shooting yesterday....omg! My heart is heavy with grief and sadness. Too much tradegy in a 24 hr period. 

Thanks,

Mari Lynn 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • SAD 20
  • THANK YOU! 1

7 answers to this question

Maxim [memorial profile]

Hi @Mari Lynn I remember meeting Astra at the first TLE gathering in upstate New York.

I am also in hospice.  Which means I have a nurse come see me a couple times a week.  Hospice work is a calling for a certain kind of person.  In my case I feel very supported by the nurse that sees me.  It is a labor of love to help people transition to the other side.  If Astra is receiving the same kind of loving care that I have been getting then I believe she is in a good place.  I get impatient at times and wish it was done already as sometimes it can get uncomfortable (did I say painful).  In my case it looks like I have another 2 or 3 months to go.  The staff have done the drill many times so they do have a lot to offer in terms of guidance.  I told my nurse a bit about Michael and she thought Michael was helpful for me.  I know the dying process often has people withdrawing. Hope this helps.

• LIKE/LOVE 23
8 hours ago, Maxim said:

Hi @Mari Lynn I remember meeting Astra at the first TLE gathering in upstate New York.

I am also in hospice.  Which means I have a nurse come see me a couple times a week.  Hospice work is a calling for a certain kind of person.  In my case I feel very supported by the nurse that sees me.  It is a labor of love to help people transition to the other side.  If Astra is receiving the same kind of loving care that I have been getting then I believe she is in a good place.  I get impatient at times and wish it was done already as sometimes it can get uncomfortable (did I say painful).  In my case it looks like I have another 2 or 3 months to go.  The staff have done the drill many times so they do have a lot to offer in terms of guidance.  I told my nurse a bit about Michael and she thought Michael was helpful for me.  I know the dying process often has people withdrawing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing this Maxim, now I know what hospice work means and I'm glad to hear you receive the loving care you deserve. Hugs.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
10 hours ago, Mari Lynn said:

Hi Folks,

I know that Astra is a part of this community, and some of you had the pleasure of meeting her at one of the TLEGG's 2 or so yrs ago. I did not meet her, but I feel compellingly connected to her cancer process...and I just found out that she is in hospice. I am terribly broken up about it. Trying to wrap my head around it. Deep waves of grief coming over me. I just wanted to know how others here are feeling, and how you might be processing it. I really get a sense she touches this community greatly with her Presence. I feel profound sadness as well as overwhelming love.

Finding out today she's in hospice comes on the heels of finding out a good friend's 90 yr old father got tragically killed in a pedestrian/car crash-found this out yesterday. And then of course the Florida school shooting yesterday....omg! My heart is heavy with grief and sadness. Too much tradegy in a 24 hr period. 

Thanks,

Mari Lynn 

That is a lot in a short time Mari Lynn, and yes it's hard and it's sad, while it's also a chance to process sadness and grief in general that has been left behind. It can be healing for you too. Hugs and love to you.

Edited by Ingun
  • LIKE/LOVE 8
Mari Lynn

Thank you both for your responses. Maxim, I did not know that you too are in hospice....so sorry to hear this as well. (((HUGS)))

I have a good friend who is a hospice nurse, and she is not a Michael person but has a tremendous heart and she is very spiritually in tune. My guess is she is an old soul artisan-cast scholar. And I vividly recall the loving kindness and tremendous support hospice nurses provided to my father (and our family) when he was near his transition. I am so glad that you are able to get what you are needing at this important time. I do know a bit about this process. So glad too, that you are able to communicate here and on fb...? It does not appear that Astra is able to do that, but her husband is. Such LOVE is coming thru!  And of course, all these other emotions...

I think grief is just really *up* for some folks these days....I am trying to just be present with it, and I've had several "chats" with my Dad over the last few days, which is comforting. I still feel his Presence in my life, as we lived together before and during the time of his death. 

Thank you for responding.

~Mari Lynn 

• LIKE/LOVE 9
  • ARTISAN

I'm so glad hospice care is an option these days. The folks that do that work are essentially saints. The same hospice team helped both my father and mother, and they were wonderful people. 

Last Thursday my sorority sister's husband was taken home to be put in hospice care. They found he had a brain tumor in July, and early last week the family decided that the treatments were too ineffective and too late and they weren't going to accept the discomfort anymore. He's 58. A delightful, funny man, and we just hope that his last days are comfortable and filled with the love of family and friends. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8
ClaireC

@Mari Lynn Thanks for the information.  I suspected Astra was in hospice and noticed her absence on FB since she's too sick to post any more.

I spent two TLEGGs with her and we carpooled from Newark airport together.

I am heartbroken and so sad for her young son and husband.   She's just too young for this to be acceptable to me...

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • SAD 7
  • THANK YOU! 1

I am heartbroken over Astra.  I had accepted that her condition was terminal but was hoping she would have more time here.  The recent photos Kevin posted on FB have me hoping that they are giving her enough pain meds to keep her comfortable and allow an easy transition.  She has been popping up in my dreams, but I only ever remember bits and pieces.  Last night I remember her on a horse, her hair long and flowing again.  Her energy has gone quiet here on physical plane, but I have a feeling she is having loads of fun on the Astral.  In the meantime, I keep her and Kevin in balls of pink light.  Esp Kevin-  this is going to be hard for him :-(

• SAD 7
  • THANK YOU! 2