Eric

His Dark Materials trilogy

Eric

I started re-reading this series over the past few weeks. I'd first read it many years ago and it's one of the series that has really stuck with me over time. The first book of the three is called either The Golden Compass (US) or Northern Lights (Europe/Elsewhere), depending on whether you have a US or non-US edition. The other two books have the same name either way. The story follows a young girl called Lyra as she's caught up in the quests and power struggles surrounding the nature of mysterious elementary particles known as Dust. The series narrative explores the concepts of parallel universes, metaphysics, religion, and consciousness in interesting ways that I'd not encountered elsewhere in fiction when I first read them.

There was a movie made from the first book in the series. I only saw it once that I recall, it wasn't very memorable, and did not have great reviews, so this is one situation where I'd say definitely go for the books. Supposedly, the BBC has plans to make a miniseries out of the books, though that's still in pre-production and hasn't yet gone forward. We'll see what happens with that; to me it'd be a big challenge to capture the nuances of the story on the screen, but would be awesome if it happened well.

US Edition:

https---blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com-uploads-card-image-49741-lyra.jpg

Original Edition:

landscape-1487157385-pjimage-99.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 3

SharvariJ

This is one of those series that I start reading and have to give up at the same point every time because of completely unrelated interruptions. I loved what I read of the first book though. Oh well, here's to hoping I finish it someday 🤓

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Mike Cleverly

We used a quote from the Amber Spyglass at our wedding, as it summed up our thoughts about existence:

“I'll be looking for you, Will, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we'll cling together so tight that nothing and no one'll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you... We'll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams... And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they wont' just be able to take one, they'll have to take two, one of you and one of me, we'll be joined so tight...” 
― Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials Trilogy: The Golden Compass / The Subtle Knife / The Amber Spyglass

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Becca the Student

Oh, I was obsessed with this series as a kid. Beautifully-written trilogy of books. I remember Lyra being a sassy, fantastically brave heroine that little twelve-year-old me just fell in love with.

• LIKE/LOVE 2