Luciana Flora

After reading this workshop I have no doubt that the most distorted voice within me is of compassion.

It seems my first thought in any situation is that I can not make a difference. But I find it strange to say that it is my voice. Because no one tells me this, I always seem to reach this conclusion by myself.

Whether it is with the world or even with a person I often doubt that I can contribute anything.

As for KNOWLEDGE I think it's 50/50 my anxiety was worse already.

Now I would like to know more about the escape. What exactly does Michael mean by escape?

The reason I ask is because I misused to use the exhaust as well.

One of my top defenses at school when I had no friends. It was simply escaping to my imagination and creating a world that I would like to stay there. No, do nothing to make this world real. I would give it the escape name but I do not know if that's what Michael means.

I think I'm going to change my question from the next POF and ask what exactly my voice would be. Since it seems that everything I think is my voice is not. IoI

• LIKE/LOVE 1
Eric

Wow. It's uncanny how this workshop speaks to things I've been doing recently.

It is important to note that the Voices of Distortion are not meant to be ignored or avoided. The difference between the Voices of Support and the Voices of Distortion is that those of distortion are not permanent and they are never yours. They are never your own voice. However, they are voices that you considered to be valuable or meaningful at some point, even if they were distorted and corrupted.

These tend to be voices of fear...

Most of your distorted inner voices are likely only seeking to protect you...If you find that the voice is seeking to protect you, you are automatically returning your Core Voice to Power through Choice, rather than through Reaction. From that state of Power, you can then choose to give more weight to the truth of the supportive voice, and give comfort to the voice of protection.

Comfort is almost always received fairly well by a negative voice when the Core Voice comes from a place of Power/Choice. It may need to be repeated several times across time, but if in every instance you are choosing and not reacting, the voice of protection will begin to see that you are safe, and begin to quiet.

This. So much this. This is pretty much a nutshell of what I've heard and been learning recently. From experience I know that ignoring and avoiding the voices hasn't been particularly effective. And many times have I heard people, especially my Mom, mention that fearful voices are never you and they are never the truth or higher good.

We hit squarely on the fearful inner voices being protection in my recent work with my reiki instructor. That's the function of Chief Features as well, and you can definitely sense that when listening closely. My instructor mentioned me needing to talk to the part of me that was the center of the fear and such, and I've now done it a few times. I can definitely say that listening to what the voice is saying and responding (out loud has been good) with comfort and support have made a remarkably notable difference in settling down an overactive protection voice.

And yes, there is a difference between Surrender to forces greater than you vs determining one cannot make a difference. Embracing Surrender when forces are greater than you actually helps one to make more of a difference because she can focus on where she can make a difference rather than determine she cannot make any difference at all.

Man, I've been having to learn the distinction on that one big time. Tough lessons.

We chose the term Anxiety because it is a tornado mix of knowing too little and feeling too much about it. This voice arises from those who taught you that your feelings (or theirs) matter more than the truth. It is the voice that taught you that worry is a benefit and a sign that you are participating. It was taught to you as a solution for not being certain or feeling safe. It is a way of doing something without knowing what to do.

By that, Knowledge has been definitely one of the major distorted voices going on for me recently. Love and Compassion also seem to be fairly active, and probably err on the side of distortion some too. I would say that Humor has most often been the notable support voice.

Edited by Eric
KurtisM

This is very useful info. I like the clear delineations of the poles.

I went with Muse, Anchor and Knowledge as my Top 3 Voices.

Muse: Aspirational/Exhausted= 52/48
Anchor: Wisdom/Trapped= 70/30
Knowledge: Curiosity/Anxiety= 25/75

Muse has risen ever since I've committed to my new values and causes for improving and building my and the world's future. I'm very aware of collective choices we have to make & of how I'm navigating that shit ton of aspiration.
Anchor tends to show up as my voice of Wisdom, which I interpret to come directly from my Essence most times as there are a lot of insights to unpack. This wisdom is usually seeking to soothe my voices of Anxiety, Desperation and Paralysis so that I can take steps forward, rather than shut down.

Thanks to @Bobby and @DianeHB for asking about Anxiety and Paralysis- those are the voices that rise in me the most because of my helpless fear of failing to make a difference to the point that I give up & my fear of not knowing what to do to change things.

This: "This voice arises from those who taught you that your feelings (or theirs) matter more than the truth. It is the voice that taught you that worry is a benefit and a sign that you are participating." on the topic of Anxiety is exactly the kind of imprinting that my parents gave me.

Always worrying, or condoning and allowing others to worry out of the misguided notion that feelings matter more than the truth. It's one of the imprintings I've had to deal with that pisses me off because I don't know how to speak the truth without hurting others sensitive feelings, and that's caused a lot of pain for me.

Also:

"This speaks to the parable about the man who walked along the beach tossing stranded starfish back into the ocean and being asked why he would do such a thing since there were thousands stranded and his actions ultimately did not matter. His response is that "it matters to this one." This is how Essence functions. To ignore taking any action because one can only make a little difference is a corrupted voice."

I remember the Ms talked about this decades ago in another session so I'm glad to see it brought up again. I cried reading it.

Sidenote, but I think this session will help me develop the monologues and dialogues of my characters too.

All around it's just a great transcript.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 3
Luciana Flora
18 hours ago, Bobby said:

Every fragment inherently knows that one can make a difference, even if incrementally or slowly or later in time, but the soul never assumes it is helpless or does not matter. If you are paralyzed by sensitivity, caring, wishing to help or make a difference and feel you can do nothing or not enough, it is not your voice. It is a voice that comes from those who have convinced you that it is someone else's problem, or that it is better to do nothing than to fail at trying, etc.

I had written something about this post before. but then I realized he was very pessimistic. So I decided to delete and write again.

And I'm going to say that there is a strong crnaça in me that I can not contribute. But from now on, I will try to remember that this is a corrupt voice.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
NicholasV

I feel this is exactly in line with the way the App the Mind Plotter works.  A very profound workshop!! All voices Protect.

Edited by NicholasV
Sam K

LOVE: Usually +

KNOWLEDGE: 50/50

COMPASSION: Usually +, though I've noticed paralysis sneaking in a bit more often lately

MENTOR: Usually +

BEAUTY: Usually -

CHILD: Usually +

HUMOR: I'm not sure I understand the dichotomy here.  What is meant by "dismissive?"

DISCIPLINE: Usually +

ANCHOR: Again, I don't feel like I have an adequate understanding of this voice or its poles.

HEALER: Usually +

ENLIGHTENMENT: Hard to judge this on my own.  Like, I get what Breakthrough and Breakdown are, but I still haven't learned how to "feel" which one I'm in.

MUSE: 50/50

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • WARRIOR
Bobby

HUMOR: I'm not sure I understand the dichotomy here.  What is meant by "dismissive?"

@Sam K   Not that I would ever say this to you but if someone else were to answer your question implementing the negative pole of Humor with "Are you fucking stupid?" well, then, I think that would be an example of dismissive humor  ?

• LIKE/LOVE 6
  • LOL 3
Eric
27 minutes ago, Bobby said:

@Sam K   Not that I would ever say this to you but if someone else were to answer your question implementing the negative pole of Humor with "Are you fucking stupid?" well, then, I think that would be an example of dismissive humor  ?

Yeah, I took it to mean humor used as scathing or used to deflect or diminish something.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
Wendy
On 5/19/2018 at 3:52 PM, Bobby said:

MEntity: It is important to note that the Voices of Distortion are not meant to be ignored or avoided. The difference between the Voices of Support and the Voices of Distortion is that those of distortion are not permanent and they are never yours. They are never your own voice. However, they are voices that you considered to be valuable or meaningful at some point, even if they were distorted and corrupted.

This appears to validate an important step in working with limiting beliefs (which to me seems practically synonymous with Voices of Distortion) - that at some point there was a reason we adopted them, to stay safe. 

I'm reading this part over and over and am just loving the elegance with which this concept is stated!

@Uma no surprise I have the same most frequent hecklers LOL.

And for the record, where I stand right now:

LOVE: +Enthusiasm -Desperation  60/40

KNOWLEDGE: +Curiosity -Anxiety  50/50

ENLIGHTENMENT: +Breakthrough -Breakdown  70/30  and I think this cycles a lot with HEALER and MUSE

• LIKE/LOVE 7
DianeHB
On 5/19/2018 at 12:52 PM, Bobby said:

MEntity: It is important to note that the Voices of Distortion are not meant to be ignored or avoided. The difference between the Voices of Support and the Voices of Distortion is that those of distortion are not permanent and they are never yours. They are never your own voice. However, they are voices that you considered to be valuable or meaningful at some point, even if they were distorted and corrupted.

These tend to be voices of fear that were either told to you from others with corrupted inner voices, or told to you as a distorted means of protecting you, or misheard voices that were never questioned.

Most of your distorted inner voices are likely only seeking to protect you. With that in mind, as you explore this system for understanding your inner voices, it can be helpful to first ask which of the 12 paths a voice is either trying to support or trying to protect.

If you find that the voice is seeking to protect you, you are automatically returning your Core Voice to Power through Choice, rather than through Reaction. From that state of Power, you can then choose to give more weight to the truth of the supportive voice, and give comfort to the voice of protection.

Comfort is almost always received fairly well by a negative voice when the Core Voice comes from a place of Power/Choice. It may need to be repeated several times across time, but if in every instance you are choosing and not reacting, the voice of protection will begin to see that you are safe, and begin to quiet.

MEntity: We will not weigh in on your assessment as that would defeat the point of what we seek to convey as part of this workshop. However corrupted one's inner voices may be, this method of self-assessment is immune to the effects of that corruption because all voices of corruption are only seeking to protect you. When you take a moment to reflect and gain understanding and lend value to these inner voices, even the most distorted voices see this as an act of self-care that is immediately approved.
MEntity: As for blindspots in your self-assessment, none of you will have these when it comes to assessing inner voices because inner voices are not linked to perceptions, but to receptions. One's perception of the self and the world can have blind spots, but one is never deaf to inner voices. You will hear all of them. However, you will tend to give greater meaning and value to some voices over others for various reasons, and this is where this self-assessment helps you to see how you do this, and how to change this if necessary.

I think this information can be incredibly powerful in practice with individual voices of distortion. I have a tendency to try to run from or "heal" or calm my voices, and they tend to get even louder if they don't feel heard. Michael has always encouraged us to comfort the fearful parts of ourselves instead of reject them, but this structure helps us understand those voices even more. I quite often don't truly listen in my rush to "comfort" those voices and feel better, but that comforting doesn't work when I don't listen -- like it knows it's being patronized. After this session, when my anxiety came up, I became curious and tried to listen to its concerns and address them -- essentially have a dialogue with my voice of Anxiety. I noticed that the voice calmed down very quickly when it felt heard. Actually, it didn't just calm down, it turned into Curiosity when I approached it with curiosity. I think it's hilarious how Michael put it: "even the most distorted voices see this as an act of self-care that is immediately approved."

@Wendy That's a great observation that voices of Distortion are what you work with in EFT. I think this information is really helpful with that kind of healing work.

Edited by DianeHB
  • LIKE/LOVE 10
  • THANK YOU! 1
Stickyflames
1 hour ago, DianeHB said:

I think this information can be incredibly powerful in practice with individual voices of distortion. I have a tendency to try to run from or "heal" or calm my voices, and they tend to get even louder if they don't feel heard. Michael has always encouraged us to comfort the fearful parts of ourselves instead of reject them, but this structure helps us understand those voices even more. I quite often don't truly listen in my rush to "comfort" those voices and feel better, but that comforting doesn't work when I don't listen -- like it knows it's being patronized. After this session, when my anxiety came up, I became curious and tried to listen to its concerns and address them -- essentially have a dialogue with my voice of Anxiety. I noticed that the voice calmed down very quickly when it felt heard. Actually, it didn't just calm down, it turned into Curiosity when I approached it with curiosity. I think it's hilarious how Michael put it: "even the most distorted voices see this as an act of self-care that is immediately approved."

@Wendy That's a great observation that voices of Distortion are what you work with in EFT. I think this information is really helpful with that kind of healing work.

Thank  you for this, diane.

I am so good at knowing the parts of myself that need healing, seeing the truth of the situation. Yet....seeing that truth never feels like healing.

i think I tackle my painful thoughts with an intention to heal them as quick as possible so that I can move on with my day. Gosh, imagine beinf a therapist listening to the pain of a patient and overeagerly going “ here is the truth! Don’t you see?get on with your day!”

too often we approach ourselves as if we can somehow finally be SOLVED. 

As soon as I read this, i just sat down to listen to all the voices. No rush. No healing required, just tell me how alone you feel. How hopeless life feels. How scared you are. Then...maybe then...after you are heard...you can be on board with coming with me to somewhere new.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1
Eric
10 hours ago, DianeHB said:

I have a tendency to try to run from or "heal" or calm my voices, and they tend to get even louder if they don't feel heard...I quite often don't truly listen in my rush to "comfort" those voices and feel better, but that comforting doesn't work when I don't listen -- like it knows it's being patronized. After this session, when my anxiety came up, I became curious and tried to listen to its concerns and address them -- essentially have a dialogue with my voice of Anxiety. I noticed that the voice calmed down very quickly when it felt heard. Actually, it didn't just calm down, it turned into Curiosity when I approached it with curiosity. I think it's hilarious how Michael put it: "even the most distorted voices see this as an act of self-care that is immediately approved."

This has been exactly my experience with this. Those voices really don't like to be ignored or unheard and do get louder when they feel like it's happening, and that makes sense in terms of protection. The voices feel like there's a legitimate threat and that to ignore it is to put the self in danger, so it makes sure to really grab your attention with urgency. It's very much this:

MEntity: It is the voice that taught you that worry is a benefit and a sign that you are participating. It was taught to you as a solution for not being certain or feeling safe.

But yeah, with a genuine dialogue, it really does calm the voice. I've done it twice, and the first time I think it did go into curiosity for a bit. The second time it mainly just calmed, but even that's an improvement. It hasn't lasted for more than a day or so thus far, but I think part of that is that I've found that the voice doesn't actually seem to be generating the triggering thoughts, but rather reacting to them. The voice stays calm until enough triggering thoughts stir it up again. I guess that means there really is something to retraining the intellect and thoughts alongside more emotional voices.

• LIKE/LOVE 3