Low-Maintenance Animal Companionship for Old Priests

Amira Sa'Di

Question

Amira Sa'Di

Does anyone have any good stories to tell about the BENEFITS of having a cat as a companion?

Unfortunately, I wasn't raised in the "TV American" middle-class Caucasian family where pets are revered and they even have their own place settings at the dining room table. Sigh....that wasn't even me. I was raised in the 'hood by some weird Muslims who believed that animals are nasty and that people shouldn't have pets.

After years of watching the Disney Channel and taking classes from Caucasian female lightworkers (expect a separate thread for that one ;-), I concluded that pet owners have more fun--or at least they can bulk up hauling 30 lb bags of food and 40 lb bags of kitty litter AND channel their Extra-terrestrial ancestors (if they have a cat). I had to hang out with the Nuwaupians for awhile before I concluded that channeling one's Extra-terrestrial ancestors would even be a good idea, but they didn't seem to have pets, either.

Well, so.....I asked the Universe for a cat and said cat arrived about 4 months ago. He's a great person and all, but....well.....he's a CAT. He's not a replacement for human companionship, and "lap time" I can honestly take or leave. All of his special effects, shots, surgery, exams, flea treatments, and $300 vacuum cleaner have pretty much broken the bank, as I have yet to attain the middle-class income that sits behind all of those cheerful Disney Channel scenes. Meanwhile, I'm up to my eyeballs in scat mats, toy rats, scratching posts, water guns, and double-sided sticky tape. I can hardly move around my own house without getting caught in all the traps I set for the cat. I hate stalking people!!! I hate having to kiss somebody's ass when they violate my space because they are defenseless and dependent and they don't understand!!!! I hate people following me around for food!!! I hate having to clean that stupid pet water fountain!!!! UGH!! REALITY CHECK!!!  I should have left his furry ass outside! (He's quite a looker, though....Feast your eyes on the cute cat pic attached. ?

Granted, my immune system is stronger after the "Catty and Mommy parasite cleanse" and the super-scooper respiratory infection from breathing in cat shit at the litter box twice a day. (I am the Parasite Punisher! Die, bastards, DIE!!!!) However, I STILL insist on having cat-free countertops. How DARE I, right?

What was I thinking? Most likely nothing... It occurs to me that Essence probably made a deal with this furry dude; maybe we're supposed to open up a healing practice and do "cat scans." It would be just like an Old Priest to plan some off-the-wall shit like that, but my personality is just about ready to cut her losses. I've got Angels helping me sort out my plethora of mental and physical health issues, so what REALLY is the deal with the cat? Darn that top need for Acceptance! I think I was just trying to fit in. I'm trying so hard to tap into the "pet lover within," but the honest truth is....

We are not amused..... 

Ah...that feels better.... Ranting is SO much more fun than hauling kitty litter! I guess I have my Mercurial body type to thank for that...? 

Any positive contributions to balance this disagreeable rant are welcome and encouraged. Thanks!

Catillac Wants In!.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • WHAT/WOW! 1
  • LOL 9

20 answers to this question

There's a fair bit about  companion animals here, especially cats, it seems. @ClaireC, @AnnaD, @Martha and   @Bobby  and I have all asked about them and posted  the answers in blogs and forums.   Here's one of mine:

Your kitty is lovely-is he having specific behavioural issues? What's his name?

• LIKE/LOVE 5
  • THANK YOU! 1

Ps. Cats can be super annoying, but are also very sweet  when they want to be.  I had one who always knew when I was really upset and would come and purr on me.. She knew, every time.  I miss her a lot.

• LIKE/LOVE 6
  • SAD 1
Amira Sa'Di

@Juni, his name is Catillac, and I don't think he's having behavioral issues; he's just particularly fearless. I'm sure that's a good thing, but I'm dreading the arduous task of training him to stay off the countertops, table, and stove. I've been reading all these books about cat training, and the whole business seems tiresome, at best. Catillac is effectively comparable to an 18- to 20-year-old man who has the energy of a kitten, and I've been wearing myself out trying to scale the learning-curve of cat-training when I'd much rather be spending my time doing other things--like figuring out how to make money more efficiently so I can even afford the extra cat-related expenses. This cat is costing so much time and money!

I've been reading some of the ME sessions about cats on here, and I guess there's some benefit to having ones overleaves played out in cat behavior. Have you found your cat experiences to be enlightening at all? I just feel like I need more of a tangible reason to go to all the trouble.

• LIKE/LOVE 6
ckaricai

Fish are low maintenance. You have to change the filters and clean the tank periodically but you won’t have to scoop poop or worry about them getting on your counters. Snakes are low maintenance too but then they’re snakes. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • LOL 5
Colleen

Cats are fabulous although kittens can be a little too much to take. I have had 8 cats so far and have been on friendly terms with many other cats of friends and family. One of my brother’s cats, Scooter, lived to be 20, had his own credit card, and still shows up in Google searches as one of my relatives.

Nearly all my dreams have cats in them. When they are not part of the action, they are lined up on the periphery watching me. Once I dreamed of a store called The Cat Shack. Inside were hundreds of grey tabbies lounging on the couches and chairs in big heaps, upstairs and downstairs. But I was looking for a ginger tabby and had to leave.  

When I asked Michael how am I perceived by them, the answer was you look like a cat with electric fur. I think when I explored the kingdoms I must have been a cat many times, maybe a saber-toothed cat, possibly named Smiley.

I do not mind the mess, hair everywhere, bites, scratches, and litter boxes. I have learned to tolerate a cat who flings my clock off the wall and climbs the curtains. It’s charming. When I rescued 5 week old Cleo from the shelter, she scratched me to shreds so bad my brother’s new girlfriend asked him if I was a cutter.  Baby Cleo was so smart that he figured out how to ambush my big Hippy Dippy cat Boots using a floor mirror. Sometimes when Cleo zones out and stares at nothing in the room, I know it could be a consciousness  moment so I’m on my best human behavior. You never know who is watching the transmissions.  

• LIKE/LOVE 9
  • LOL 1
  • WARRIOR
Bobby

Cats, naturally, love to climb.  Keep in mind that an indoor cat is basically a prisoner compared to their natural environment so it takes a little  imagination to give them what they're used to.  If you don't have one, a cat tree may go a long way to satisfy the need to climb and be up high.  My cats have never gotten up on the counter/stove but they do like trapsing across the dinine room table on the their way to the back window to bird watch.  Oh, and about that water bowl... don't complicate things for yourself.  If it is a pain in the ass to deal with, just put down a simple bowl of water that can easily be hand washed or thow in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes.  When you mentioned "scat mats" are you implying that your cat isn't using the litter box?  Cats are pretty easy to train to use a litter box but they definitely want it kept clean.  You may need to scoop a couple of times a day to maintain that state of cleaniness.  Cats definitely require some maintenance but they are also very fun and comforting to have around in my opinion.  They don't necessarily make a company friendly home though unless the company are also cat lovers.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • WARRIOR

I also did not want any pets after caring for and losing the best Golden Retriever, Rudolph, in 2003. I vowed, NEVER AGAIN.

Then one day, in 2011, a cat showed up on my doorstep. I fed her and told her I wasn't looking for a pet. She vanished. Then, 6 months later, she returned, moved in, took over and has been my loving companion and friend ever since, and I'm totally in love with her. Since she was an 'outdoor' cat when she came (I took her to the vet and found her already spayed, no bugs, no problems) I have let her in and out at her will. In fact, if it weren't for opening the door for her, I would be chairbound much more. 

I completely understand your predicament. They are wonderful and also awfully annoying at times. It takes some adapting, but it's so rewarding and fulfilling when you connect. Michael's info has been very helpful to me in understanding what is happening with animals and I highly recommend asking about your situation when you can. It might really make a difference if you know which phase Catillac (love the name) is in and how to deal with it. Just because, here's a recent photo of my Kali

15747876_10212094463224997_3487339726871777762_n.jpg

• LIKE/LOVE 6
Moonfeather

Catillac is a beauty! I have had cats my entire life and I find that they have greatly enhanced my life. I loved each one and they have been wonderful companions. Each cat is different but I had two that had an extra special bond with me where it was more like a meeting of equals. I have found that accepting each cat for its uniqueness and for it's essential "catness" is helpful. it's very hard to change a cat. cats are basically loveable killers.  I haven't had problems with enforcing any boundaries with cats and I truly think that if they know you love and respect them, they will reciprocate in their behaviors. If I didn't want a cat on the counter, I took him off. I didn't scold or punish. And it sometimes took more than one time but they know your energy. and if some cats know it pisses you off, they will do it deliberately because some can be assholes that way. I always use positive energy. Of course, there are some cats who do have mental or behavioral "deficiencies" of sorts. My current cat, she's 15 and was a stray and a runt. very tiny, has remained tiny and is "stunted" in being a cat. She just hasn't quite gotten it but it's just the way she is. she can't help being so small and underdeveloped. 

with a lifetime of cat experience, few cat toys live up to their marketing. cats don't care about expensive toys. throwing a bread bag tie on the floor or a ball of aluminum foil works well. paper bag on the floor works. cats will show you by playing with things in their environment already. cat trees, even simple ones with one level, work better than scratching posts. the cheap $5 walmart cardboard pad worked better than certain scratching posts. they have to sharpen their claws one way or another. i've always kept dry food in the bowl and cats would graze at their own discretion and they didn't have weight issues though i have heard of cats who could not regulate their intake and would scarf up food every chance they could. that has not been my experience. and, yes, just a simple water dish that i change every day. I find cat maintenance simple.

as for the cat litter, some people find the tidy cat breeze system works well because that only requires scooping out the solids then changing the pad. some cats don't care about the litter type and some do.

feeding, watering and cat litter doesn't take more than 5 minutes per day total. 

cats will leave fur on furniture. put down a washable throw or a specific old blanket where he likes to lay. cats don't care but it might be easier to clean. or take time to brush him every day if he'll let you. i don't know how to get around cat hair. I just live with and accept its presence.

i've always had the "live and let live" approach to cats. I seem to innately understand them and am a bona fide cat person. I talk to them like they are intelligent beings. they are beautiful, fierce and true to themselves. they always do what is best for them and many times that does not include the human. but, when it does, it's magical.

• LIKE/LOVE 5
Amira Sa'Di
15 hours ago, Colleen said:

Cats are fabulous although kittens can be a little too much to take. I have had 8 cats so far and have been on friendly terms with many other cats of friends and family. One of my brother’s cats, Scooter, lived to be 20, had his own credit card, and still shows up in Google searches as one of my relatives.

Nearly all my dreams have cats in them. When they are not part of the action, they are lined up on the periphery watching me. Once I dreamed of a store called The Cat Shack. Inside were hundreds of grey tabbies lounging on the couches and chairs in big heaps, upstairs and downstairs. But I was looking for a ginger tabby and had to leave.  

When I asked Michael how am I perceived by them, the answer was you look like a cat with electric fur. I think when I explored the kingdoms I must have been a cat many times, maybe a saber-toothed cat, possibly named Smiley.

I do not mind the mess, hair everywhere, bites, scratches, and litter boxes. I have learned to tolerate a cat who flings my clock off the wall and climbs the curtains. It’s charming. When I rescued 5 week old Cleo from the shelter, she scratched me to shreds so bad my brother’s new girlfriend asked him if I was a cutter.  Baby Cleo was so smart that he figured out how to ambush my big Hippy Dippy cat Boots using a floor mirror. Sometimes when Cleo zones out and stares at nothing in the room, I know it could be a consciousness  moment so I’m on my best human behavior. You never know who is watching the transmissions.  

Wow @Colleen, all of that is absolutely AMAZING! I would imagine that someone who dreams of cats all the time would have a much higher tolerance of them in the Earth plane. I, for one, take grave offense to being clawed to shreds, and I've realized through this experience that I really get upset about property loss because I resent having to be responsible for physical things. It makes me tired and sad. If Catillac flings the clock off the wall, I have to replace it--especially since it isn't mine. That's just a great big ol' waste of time, energy, and money.

I give thanks for the lessons Catillac has helped me learn, but I feel like a prisoner in my own home. I've been fighting for peaceful living space since this body was conceived, and my focus now is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!! -- so I can afford my OWN space. Bringing in extra dependents is just slowing me down...Sigh....Now, it's all about re-homing him in a way that is the greatest good for all concerned.

I thank everyone on this thread for helping me through this process! ?

• LIKE/LOVE 3

If you are ever tempted to try again, it sounds like an older kitty might be more your speed. They tend to be better mannered and mostly sleep and want to snuggle. They also tend to be overlooked in shelters in favour of kittens, and unfairly so.

Edited by Juni
  • LIKE/LOVE 3
Wendy

I love animals too but I no longer want to live with them.  Why don't you give him away with all the accoutrements?  If you don't love him, are you doing him any favor by staying in this relationship with him?  

If you do decide to stay together, I suggest water pistols for keeping the cat off the counter, and second Bobby's suggestion to get a cat tree, which is on the more expensive side as far as cat toys go, but buy on Groupon not at your local pet store.

Crystal

Hi there, @Amira Sa'Di, from one Old Priest to another! I am a huge cat person. I've had pets since I was born (my family did at least!) and I can't live without a cat in my life. So right now I'm surrounded by four, and two of them have special needs - which I wouldn't have been able to handle ten years ago with the way my life was going and certainly couldn't have afforded insulin for my diabetic kitty Anastasia back then. 

Some people are pet people and some are not - it's a choice, as the M's would say. Not being brought up around people who love pets is a big one. My dad wasn't, because his mom thought animals in the house was nasty and filthy (a common attitude for her generation and where she lived). But my pet-loving mom and her pet-loving Siamese-cat raising mom trained him, lol! ?

It sounds like your values and your choices mean no pets in your life right now - and that's fine! You want to do right by Catillac and rehome him responsibly. Years ago,  I had to rehome my Persian floofster, Orpheus, because he wasn't getting along with my male cat Aleister who was there first, *and* he sprayed in the house which is a no-no. It turned out my neighbor was happy to keep him and all ended happily. Catillac is a young and pretty kitty so I am sure he will be fairly easy to rehome. Best Friends animal sanctuary has some resources on rehoming: https://bestfriends.org/resources/rehoming-dog-or-cat

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • THANK YOU! 1
Amira Sa'Di
15 hours ago, Juni said:

If you are ever tempted to try again, it sounds like an older kitty might be more your speed. They tend to be better mannered and mostly sleep and want to snuggle. They also tend to be overlooked in shelters in favour of kittens, and unfairly so.

Awww, @Juni, so that just made me want to cry....

The truth is that I am tempted to try again, and I haven't even re-homed the first one yet. (You found me out!?)

Sigh.... I guess I'm a cat person after all.......

• LIKE/LOVE 3
Jean Hamill

I'm a dog person but I have loved cats belonging to friends and family, I would love another dog but I am almost 88 and it wouldn't be fair - sob.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
Amira Sa'Di
14 hours ago, Wendy said:

I love animals too but I no longer want to live with them.  Why don't you give him away with all the accoutrements?  If you don't love him, are you doing him any favor by staying in this relationship with him?  

If you do decide to stay together, I suggest water pistols for keeping the cat off the counter, and second Bobby's suggestion to get a cat tree, which is on the more expensive side as far as cat toys go, but buy on Groupon not at your local pet store.

@Wendy, I actually do love him, we're just not a good fit right now because I don't have time to keep up with his high "play-prey-drive." Also, my income is unstable, so eliminating the extra expense and the extra housework would be prudent right now. Jumping on the stove and so forth is what he does for fun because I only have the time or interest for like two play sessions a day, and he's got the energy of a kitten. I've decided to give him away with the accoutrements that he likes best. Actually, he already has a cat tree, which he loves, so that will go with him. I'll also send his carrier, scratching post, favorite litter box, wand toys, and pet fountain. The rest, I'll probably keep for later, when I'm in a better position to maybe get an older cat. Catillac needs to be with a family with kids or something. He's really great with kids and strangers, too.

• LIKE/LOVE 3
Crystal

Older cats are a great choice for someone who wants a more low-maintenance companion. They are *so* much more mellow than youngsters - even technically "grown" cats of a year or two. My kitty boys Neville and Jack have calmed down SO much now that they are approaching middle age!

Another nice thing about older cats is that, because so many people want to adopt kittens, shelters will really go the extra mile to place the oldsters. When I adopted Anastasia from my local no-kill shelter, she was about 4 or 5 - so not really "old" per se, just "adult and not a cute kitten anymore" - not only was she FREE to adopt, I got a coupon for a discount on her first vet visit and a whole bunch of cat food, litter, and toy coupons. And the shelter's adoption counselors worked with me to find a suitable cat.

Three cheers for older cats! 

• LIKE/LOVE 4
Amira Sa'Di

Hear Ye!  Hear Ye! The Universe Hath Reached a Verdict!!!

The good news is that sanity has been restored to the Sa'Di-Muwwakkil household! I chose to put Catillac--who proved to be impossible to re-home because nobody actually wanted to see him go--back out on the street. He proceeded to camp out on the porch, and there he sits to this day.

That turned out to be the compromise that finally got the small-child persona that runs my mother to stop her incessant whining (because I was breaking the "no pets in the house" rule). Now, she can happily run out the door yelling "Kitten! Little Catta!" at her usual ungodly hour of the morning without having to spew out 30 lbs of resentment at the same time because he jumped on the stove, and there's cat hair on the furniture. Meanwhile, I don't have to haul heavy kitty litter, spend hundreds of dollars on "pet control" devices, and clean like a maid. She was obsessing over the cat more than I was, disturbing me during my work-time to ask me where Catillac had gone.... (How the fuck should I know? He's a cat! Throw some food out or something!!! Ugh!!!!! ?) Yet, she refused to do ANYTHING for him; she just followed him around like a six-year-old and bitched at me for having him in the first place!

Fast forward to now..... I got her to buy cat food, a pet cot, a collar, AND a special $20 cooling water dish for the hot summer!!! Yaay!!!! We have an official outdoor cat now!!!! My mom is finally helping with his upkeep!!! The household energy is calm enough for me to digest my food again!!! We all win!! Woohoo!!!

The Lesson: Sometimes, in the pursuit of prevailing sanity, one must compromise with the insanity of others.?

• LIKE/LOVE 2
Amira Sa'Di

@Rachel, thank you so much for being the purveyor of Divine Intervention and reacting to this question! 😊You reacted right before a chain of events related to Catillac--who is now the older cat I wished he had been before--that turned my whole day upside down. We've come a long way since I posted that rant; I even drove him all the way to St. Louis so we could stay with a friend (and turn his house inside-out) for four months this past winter. When we came back, Catillac returned to the house, and my entire family was much more willing to share in the responsibility for his well-being than before. 

Personally, my tolerance levels and cat-handling skills have increased, too. I now sleep with Catillac, trim his claws regularly, wash the pet fountain with ease, manage the furniture scratching and counter jumping with aplomb, and I even give him the occasional bath without either of us sustaining injuries! Yaay!

Early this morning, while I was asleep, my uncle let him outside into the flea-ridden Georgia summer heat. Then, before I could figure out how best to handle that, he let him run all the way back through the house, over several yards of carpet! I was LIVIT!!! (with a "T")😡  A year ago, I probably would have had a nervous breakdown. Today, I just put him back out and trapped him on the porch in his carrier. Meanwhile, my uncle went out, with his own tail between his legs, and bought some super expensive Capstar pills. Then, I vacuumed the floor, dropped a pill in his food, cleaned out his litterbox a day early, used my hostile energy to clean up the entire room where he spends most of his time, gave him a bath, cleaned his carrier, and went on about my business. Granted, it is many, many hours later, but my composure is intact. And the best part is that I got to read my own hilarious rant from nearly a year ago and reflect on my increased resiliency. Give thanks.🙌

• LIKE/LOVE 2