Hannah Gadsby - Nanette (Comedy/Levelling Netflix)

AnnaD

Just watched Hannah Gadsby (Australian Lesbian Comedian) new Netflix special Nanette. 

I wonder if she in C1E7 or C1E2. So much truth. She feels familiar.

In this special she covers comedy, and anger and a space to finally tell her story. I feel like I have witnessed someone coming home to themselves and I was in tears from halfway through this. She doesn't compromise or reduce the trauma of her story to a punchline. It might be triggering for some. MeToo. Queerbashing violence. 

I have such respect and pride for her. If you can watch it, it will give you more confidence in the world. What she has achieved with this special is a space for old soulness and our truths. So much truth. Ok just watch it.

• LIKE/LOVE 14

I saw it sometime last week and was also laughing/crying throughout. Her truth and voice were very powerful. And I wrote in my journal that she had shone a light on some of my self loathing for the things I have endured but not put them in proper perspective. I’m also an art historian so that part was a riot and rang so true.  Glad you shared here.

• LIKE/LOVE 5

She definitely has taken power back in her life. I was expecting to watch a comedy routine and was amazed at the turn of events. She got serious and angry and expressed it. And she did it well. Must have felt amazing. Looking forward to hearing her voice more often.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

I watched this last night, on recommendation from you @AnnaD. Funny, devastating, incredibly brave. Everyone should see it.

I loved how @James D's Essence makes a surprise appearance near the end as an example of how love and connection brings beautiful things into the world. If it weren't for Theo, we wouldn't have Sunflowers.

I also wondered, C1E2 or C1E7. I wondered, Artisan-cast Scholar with a Sage ET.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

8 hours ago, DanielaS said:

I watched this last night, on recommendation from you @AnnaD. Funny, devastating, incredibly brave. Everyone should see it.

I loved how @James D's Essence makes a surprise appearance near the end as an example of how love and connection brings beautiful things into the world. If it weren't for Theo, we wouldn't have Sunflowers.

I also wondered, C1E2 or C1E7. I wondered, Artisan-cast Scholar with a Sage ET.

I just watched it. Amazing, moving, and incredibly important. Yeah, I got verklempt a few times. Hannah is officially one of my heroes. 
And it was refreshing to hear from another person who hates Picasso. 

Edited by James D
  • LIKE/LOVE 7
  • LOL 1
  • THANK YOU! 1

• WARRIOR
3 hours ago, James D said:

And it was refreshing to hear from another person who hates Picasso. 

Whoa!  Rein in that tension!  ?

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • LOL 2

@James D wasn't it? Picasso should have gone into architecture or graphic design. His stuff bores me too overrated draughtsman

I want to know what Hannah will do now? It is something I keep on thinking, given that what she has done all her adult life does not fit now. I wonder if there has been any follow ups??

• LIKE/LOVE 4

When she professed her need to get out of stand-up comedy, it reminded me of why I never ventured into this career, despite having all the raw materials to succeed in it. "I've thought about becoming a stand-up comic, but I'm not insecure enough" has been my standard line. I would have been more amenable to being a comic/observer or comic/social critic, but the declining cognition of the general populace would have made for a crushing experience if I had pursued this track. I hope and expect that Hannah will have opportunities - as a writer, as a spokesperson for the LGBTQ Community, an advisor or consultant. What she shared ripped me open. Her journey is inspirational for everyone, not only disenfranchised people. I am a heterosexual male White Anglo-Saxon Protestant who has felt like and still feels like an utter freak. I don't want to 'belong'...I want to contribute in a meaningful way to all my fellow humans. That's a tall order. I will keep pursuing it. Quite frankly my ideal career would be motivational speaker to heterosexual men. I would be the extreme opposite of Tom Cruise's character in "Magnolia"....the antithesis of all I despise. And I would get murdered. So it goes. 

Edited by James D
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

12 hours ago, James D said:

will keep pursuing it. Quite frankly my ideal career would be motivational speaker to heterosexual men. 

My insides screamed "yes" when I read that line! That would be amazing!

The world could use your voice. heck, the world could use all our voices. Hannah has shown how powerful truth and authenticity can be. Do we dare to be as courageous as she?

• LIKE/LOVE 5

I just did a Bing search for "Hannah Gadsby Nanette transcript" because I wanted to read her words and THIS post came up at the bottom of Page 1 in the search results!  It shows up at the top of Page 3 in Google. Lord, her publicist or maybe even Hannah herself will see this and wonder who these strange people are talking about C1E2 and Artisan-cast Scholar. Is it bad that I worry about sounding like a wacko to people who stumble across this on the internet? Oh well, I can't live in the Michael closet forever.

Edited by DanielaS
  • LIKE/LOVE 1
  • LOL 5

• WARRIOR
24 minutes ago, DanielaS said:

I just did a Bing search for "Hannah Gadsby Nanette transcript" because I wanted to read her words and THIS post came up at the bottom of Page 1 in the search results!  It shows up at the top of Page 3 in Google. Lord, her publicist or maybe even Hannah herself will see this and wonder who these strange people are talking about C1E2 and Artisan-cast Scholar. Is it bad that I worry about sounding like a wacko to people who stumble across this on the internet? Oh well, I can't live in the Michael closet forever.

Maybe she'll "find her people"  ?

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • LOL 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was fantastic. Required watching. From a cisgendered male who has spent so much time in men's "clubs" Hannah's show was a funny, brilliant, heartbreaking and triumphant bomb that needs to be rolled into ground zero of this ignorant  swingin' dick, toxically masculine culture. Bust apart this crystallized  paternal logjam and start the flow of a new paradigm.

bravo Hannah!

• LIKE/LOVE 3

• 2 years later...
On 7/1/2018 at 10:16 PM, AnnaD said:

I want to know what Hannah will do now? It is something I keep on thinking, given that what she has done all her adult life does not fit now. I wonder if there has been any follow ups??

Finally watched Nanette and I thought it was wonderful.  Her follow-up, Douglas, is just as amazing.  As a someone who teaches future teachers, I particularly appreciate her bit about going from "teacher's pet to teacher's nemesis" because it does a nice job illustrating how quickly teachers can assume the worst of students who may be considered "abnormal" by society.   

• LIKE/LOVE 5

On 5/5/2021 at 9:08 AM, Tom said:

Finally watched Nanette and I thought it was wonderful.  Her follow-up, Douglas, is just as amazing.  As a someone who teaches future teachers, I particularly appreciate her bit about going from "teacher's pet to teacher's nemesis" because it does a nice job illustrating how quickly teachers can assume the worst of students who may be considered "abnormal" by society. 

Still need to see Nanette. I've seen the clips from her follow-up, Douglas, and love them, so need to see if I can find the full show for that too. Not sure what she's doing these days.

UPDATE: Have now seen both Nanette and Douglas on Netflix. Both excellent. I love her voice and expression, both heart-wrenching and humorous.

She also had a sadly short series called "Renaissance Woman" which was fun. From the looks of it, they were likely done before the specials.

Edited by Eric
  • LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU! 1

• 1 month later...

Love her. I also love how she took a spell to meander and plant trees. I thought I had been Johnny Appleseed in a former life but it appears that she may have staked that claim. 

I was so inspired by her courage to speak about her trauma (and woozily besotten by her righteous anger) that I was able to do the same but in song form. Just putting it out there, planting a seed to see what grows.

(And, yes, it's not lost on me how my first official post would be a song I wrote. Livin' the arrogant sage life.)

~K

Edited by Kat
  • LIKE/LOVE 1