Connor

Come Home Cardinal Pell

Connor

It is no secret that I revile Christianity and fervently believe the world would be better off without it. So it should come as little surprise that Tim Minchin's "Come Home Cardinal Pell" is one of my favorite pieces of music in the universe. Below I will describe some context which will make this music shine all the more brightly.

Cardinal George Pell from Australia, a very powerful and high-ranking member of the Church, will soon be standing trial for sexual crimes. Back in the early '70s, George Pell lived with fellow priest Gerard Ridsdale, who would go on to be defrocked, convicted, and jailed for sexually assaulting over 60 children, some as young as four years old. Claiming ignorance, George Pell worked diligently over the years to intimidate victims and keep the Catholic Church from being sued. For example, sex-abuse-survivor David Ridsdale (Gerard Ridsdale's nephew) accused George Pell of bribing him to keep his allegations under wraps.

In 2014, Cardinal George Pell's fixation on protecting the Church's money paid off, and he was offered a full-time position in the Vatican's newly created Secretariat of the Economy. Pell left Australia and moved to the Vatican, where he managed the Church's budget and fiscal responsibilities. In 2016, when he was summoned back to Australia to answer questions relating to his potential involvement in Gerard Ridsdale's misconduct, Cardinal Pell initially refused to return home, citing his ailing health as the reason why he was unable to travel. And that is where Tim Minchin enters our story.

Over the course of 3 days, back in 2016, not long after Cardinal Pell's lame 'I'm sick' excuse for not travelling to Australia, Tim Minchin created his song "Come Home Cardinal Pell", which calls George Pell out for his misdeeds, shames the everlasting fuck out of him for being a useless piece-of-shit waste of a human being, and then dares Pell to return home and do the right thing so that God won't send him to hell. Minchin's song was written in a day, performed/recorded on the second day, then edited in post-production on the third day before being released. It has a VERY catchy melody, which WILL get stuck in your head, and it is for all of the right reasons. It is very fun and cathartic to sing.

Tim Minchin has done a very good thing,  placing himself in legal jeopardy to give a voice to people who may not have had one before. In the song, he actually dares Cardinal Pell to sue him (because doing so means Pell would have to return to Australia). Pell probably would have been within his rights to do so, but he never did.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Susan A Flow

Connor,  Seth speaks chapter 21:  in about 50 yrs and structured religions will be gone.  Great song, true lyrics, think of the karma that awaits him and all like him

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Connor

@Susan A Flow

Wouldn't that be lovely? I'm assuming Seth said this back in the '60s or early '70s, so I don't think they'll be correct, but maybe they won't be too far off. Religion's abuses against Humanity will not survive the paradigm shift to Mature, when emphasis on ethics takes center stage.

Michael has mentioned that in the 25th Century, channeling Michael via Artificial Intelligence will be possible, yet it will not be an accepted mainstream use of that technology, because even 400 years from now there remain fears and superstitions about demons/demonic possession among the masses.

Rome did not fall in a single night for the Emperors, nor will it fall in a night for the Popes, but it is indeed falling, and we get to enjoy our piece of that story.

And yes, I do imagine the karma awaiting him, and many others, and it brings me great joy that after he dies, George Pell will experience the agony of facing up to the full measure of his crimes. That's a realization more painful than anything he could possibly cook up for himself in the Biblical Hell sense, and it has the added bonus of contributing to his soul's growth. Too bad for his future lives who will need to help clean up his many messes.

Edited by Connor
added the wrong hyperlink, now it is the RIGHT hyperlink
  • LIKE/LOVE 2

ClaireC

Very good, Connor!  How on Earth do you find this stuff?  😀

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Connor
1 hour ago, ClaireC said:

Very good, Connor!  How on Earth do you find this stuff?  😀

Usually through binges of reading the news, but in this case, the stuff found me. A friend of mine, who likes Tim Minchin, shared this song with me not long after it was released, knowing that I would like it.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Jean Hamill

I don't think he will ever come back he is so despised in Australia.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

ClaireC
On 12/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, Jean Hamill said:

I don't think he will ever come back he is so despised in Australia.

That plus the criminal charges ... The Church and its priests are miserable cowards.