Leela Corman

Russian Doll

Leela Corman

YOU GUYS we need to talk about "Russian Doll" and more to the point you need to be watching it. Holy shit. It's so good. It's also so up the alley of anyone interested in multiple timelines, the post-death state, and so on. I kind of can't believe it got made and I'm so glad it's popular. It's really fascinating. I don't want to say too much; basically, a woman dies again and again, until she figures her shit out, but even that barely describes this multidimensional show. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPELCYFK-Wg

And here's a little press:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/russian-doll-netflix-tv-to-watch_us_5c58b876e4b087104756c03a

• LIKE/LOVE 16

Nadine

Watched it and loved it! It's like a darker version of Goundhog Day....

• LIKE/LOVE 9

DanielaS

I binge watched it this weekend! I loved it! But now I can't get that Harry Nilsson song out of my head. 

I'm glad you started this topic @Leela Corman. I'd been thinking that the show is perfect for discussing here. I have thoughts, but when can we post spoilers? 😄 

Edited by DanielaS
  • LIKE/LOVE 7

AnnaD

I am going to binge watch it soon. I love Natasha Lyonne and Amy Poehler, and I got the vibe that it involved lots of death "act in haste, repent at leisure" variations. It looks both hilarious and kind of disturbing. I look forward to reading posts about this show...

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Wendy

It's on my watch list.  Anyone watch Counterpart?  That is really intriguing me too.

• LIKE/LOVE 7

Maureen
26 minutes ago, Wendy said:

It's on my watch list.  Anyone watch Counterpart?  That is really intriguing me too.

@Wendy, yes, I'm fascinated (truly) by Counterpart... with the exploration of all it's (our) human shallowness or lack of awareness and then the awakening depths and complexities of true consciousness. It's so much more than it first appears. 

• LIKE/LOVE 7

Jeroen

I am looking forward to watching this show as soon as I get a chance to. Thanks.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Pia

Seen Russian Doll, Loved it! Must watch ....

i started the first season of Counterpart because I liked the subject matter but it did not keep my attention and stopped watching....Russian Doll is more edgy, faster, more attractive to the senses, music, colors, NYC characterers .....

it s great these types of shows are being made, it will at least get people to start thinking these things are possible....and yes would love to discuss in this forum ....

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Troy

Currently binging Russian Doll and loving it. @AnnaD, it's definitely not a comedy, but it's very charming.

@Maureen and @Wendy I watched the first season of Counterpart, but lost track and will return to it one day! I will probably have to start it again. It was fascinating.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

Troy

By the way, @DanielaS and @Pia you can always post spoilers by using the eyeball icon on the toolbar. Click the eye, then type inside the spoiler field. To read a spoiler you would have to click to expand that quoted text.

Spoiler

Like this! Not a spoiler, but a sample!

Alternatively, you can manually wrap your spoiler conversation with the code below (note the slash in the second tag within the brackets.

[spoiler] SPOILER TEXT HERE [/spoiler]

And it will look like this:

here is some spoiler text!

• LIKE/LOVE 2

AnnaD

@Troy good to know. I went to my other most favourite website Autostraddle, and one of their best writers has reviewed Russian Doll. I read it and will post it here as a spoiler although I don't think the review gives away anything but I will treat it like a spoiler anyway. It has me more intrigued.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

James D

Loved this show. Great acting, pacing, plot, metaphysical meaning and music. I gobbled up every episode and wished there was more. I could have binged on another ten hours. There is talk of a second season. I hope it happens. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Heidi

I'm on episode 4 right now and my tomorrow is ruined.

Edit: I guess there were only 8 short episodes. Tomorrow may be okay..but now I'm in a show hole! Haha

Edited by Heidi
  • LIKE/LOVE 3

AnnaD

Ok. Can we have theories time on this show now? Do we have to put them as spoilers? That's ok? I have watched the entire season and it was great. I don't know where they will go for anyone else's story but wow that was beautiful powerful and puts some confidence back in some people of humanity. That last scene rocked...

• LIKE/LOVE 2

NickF

Counterpart - The show has me hooked. On Season  2 now. I like to see when some characters question their external reality. Also when love and compassion start to manifest within them. This has my interest and I wonder where they’ll go with it.

Russian Doll - Something I haven’t seen yet, but having read what people have said, I’ll probably start watching. 

• LIKE/LOVE 1