CurvyWords

Just Little Mature Soul Things

CurvyWords

came across this tweet today: 

for those who can't click it says: what if public libraries were open late every night and we could engage in public life there instead of having to choose between drinking at the bar and domestic isolation

(and the follow up)

maybe we wouldn’t be so addicted to these screen things if we had accessible, inviting, and stimulating public spaces to feel seen, connected, included, and nourished?

-------

idk about you guys but i love seeing stuff like this, it's so personally validating and makes me trust both in my instincts but also in the teachings. and i just feel a sigh of relief like okay, we're really doing this thing, we're shifting to a mature soul world and those values will become increasingly more paramount as time goes on. just thought i'd share with my fellow weary oldish souls. "the kids are alright", haha

• LIKE/LOVE 7
  • THANK YOU! 2

ckaricai

If libraries were open at night homeless people would try to sleep there, then people who aren’t homeless wouldn’t want to be around them. Fewer people would use it at night. 

Furthermore, people out at night would just want to drink. When bars have bookshelves people tend to ignore them, or they put books they no longer want on the shelves. There actually is a bar here called Library Bar, which always struck me as pointless. It’s too dark inside to actually read and no one wants to be in a well lit bar at night. You’re too busy having a good time with your friends to really looks at the books. They’re basically decoration. 

People go to libraries for quiet study, not to socialize. Coffee shops, bookstores, meetup groups, and bars already provide what this person is looking for. 

Susan A Flow

Or Curvy, perhaps it could be some other place that would serve to build community and not cater to isolating impulses.  Good thought

• LIKE/LOVE 1

KurtisM

@ckaricai, what you posted reminded me that if we want to eliminate homelessness we need to at least implement a Universal Basic Income.

Compassionate Education, Early Prevention and Harm Reduction are becoming more important than Isolation and Policing/Law Enforcing to deal with social issues like homelessness and debt- but they will not solve the most crucial causes of homelessness: lack of access.

In a UBI world everyone gets the money they need to not just survive but have their needs met or have access to what provides those needs. Everyone. It's a default.

This immensely reduces most cases of homelessness, as well as minimum wage dead end jobs, competing to survive and poverty.

If we can implement a UBI I can definitely see a sense of Community coming back together again as people no longer fear others taking from them as much. We probably would have far more social units and collective awareness then.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 4

CurvyWords
19 hours ago, Susan A Flow said:

Or Curvy, perhaps it could be some other place that would serve to build community and not cater to isolating impulses.  Good thought

absolutely! i don't think it has to be a library, i think that default is a symptom of just not being able to imagine such a niche hub for community gathering. i mostly posted it to illustrate how people are getting more excited and interested in connection and integration, community support and interaction that is more significant. it's just nice to see people imagine. or reimagine, anyway, what the world could be. 

CurvyWords
On 2/25/2019 at 12:30 AM, ckaricai said:

People go to libraries for quiet study, not to socialize. Coffee shops, bookstores, meetup groups, and bars already provide what this person is looking for. 

this isn't necessarily true, i think in many places libraries are kind of adopting newer models to increase engagement and integrate within the community more in order to get increased funding. the days of a stern "shhh" at any mild disturbance is coming to a close in a lot of places. many libraries are now hosting community workshops and classes, various means for people to meet and congregate, even interactive play areas for children. you brought up some great points. luckily this is just an errant tweet from a stranger and not any kind of immediate policy change, eh? 😎