Janet

Haruki Murakami

Evelin

@Janet, if you love long novels, I highly recommend the Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. I really enjoyed it during the period of my deepest sleep disorder 🙂 It has so many layers and you can really live in another world for three long volumes.

(I'm not going to mention the "genre", because I don't really see the point in categorizing things into genres as the best books never fit into any one genre, anyway.)

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Wendy

I love long books too.  I also am a huge fan of fiction that takes place in India.  One of my all time faves is Sacred Games, which was recently made into a Netflix series.

@Janet I read mainly on my kindle but don't use Prime reading as they don't have such great stuff.  Have you tried getting library books on there?  I hardly ever buy anything anymore, unless it's a special deal  or Seth books, but find my libraries have most of what I'm looking for in e books. 

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Wendy
On 3/5/2019 at 3:28 PM, Tawanyh said:

I forgot to mention that I definitely enjoy his books, despite sometimes feeling that they are a bit too "pop" (not in the sense of mainstream but more like, very modern). 

@Wendy have you read Elena Garro, a precursor of magical realism?

@Rosario maybe eventually the first chapter will get through you 😉 or you could try another book of his. The three I mentioned are more straightforward, although in some cases such downers. 

I haven't heard of Elena Garro.  Is there a book you'd suggest?

Tawanyh

@Wendy "Recollections of things to come" (los recuerdos del porvenir) and "Week of colors" (la semana de colores).  She's also famous for having been Octavio Paz's wife (a Mexican Nobel winner). 

Janet
On 3/6/2019 at 12:03 PM, Felix said:

When I think about immersion done perfectly (for my tastes), I think of "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss and "Imajica" by Clive Barker

Thanks for the pointer to "Imajica" -- I just finished it and it was a very good read. 

I read  "The Name of the Wind" years ago. I liked it enough to read the sequel but otherwise didn't find it very memorable.

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Felix
On 3/31/2019 at 3:17 PM, Janet said:

Thanks for the pointer to "Imajica" -- I just finished it and it was a very good read. 

I read  "The Name of the Wind" years ago. I liked it enough to read the sequel but otherwise didn't find it very memorable.

Great, I'm glad you liked "Imajica" 🙂  I think I'll read it again soon..