DanielaS

Pete Buttigieg

DanielaS

For those following the US 2020 Presidential race, how do you feel about Pete Buttigieg? I love him!  I'm thrilled that he has gotten as far as he has. When he talks, I feel optimistic and calm. And follow his husband Chasten Buttigieg on Twitter for a hilarious counterpoint to Pete's seriousness.

I'm thinking Server-cast Scholar (or Scholar-cast Server, I still can't distinguish Role from Casting). Late Mature or Old.

• LIKE/LOVE 10

CurvyWords

Checking him out now! This race is going to be really interesting. Of all the hats in the ring I've been feeling a certain affection towards Liz Warren. I feel like she has the balls and the smarts but this whole aspect of Presidency as an extension of celebrity and charisma works against her. It's kinda frustrating to see. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8

John Roth
7 hours ago, DanielaS said:

For those following the US 2020 Presidential race, how do you feel about Pete Buttigieg? I love him!  I'm thrilled that he has gotten as far as he has. When he talks, I feel optimistic and calm. And follow his husband Chasten Buttigieg on Twitter for a hilarious counterpoint to Pete's seriousness.

I'm thinking Server-cast Scholar (or Scholar-cast Server, I still can't distinguish Role from Casting). Late Mature or Old.

Shepherd Hoodwin did his chart. I got it from Aaron, but didn't write it down, so I only remember part of it. 7th level Mature Priest. Emotional part of Intellectual center. His ET may be Scholar or Server, IIRC.

I'm very much in favor of him - as I've said before, it's time for the old folks (and I'm 75) to get out of the way of Gen-X and the Millennials, and he's a first wave Millennial. He's got a lot going for him, and not just that he's gay. He's from the Rust Belt, a devout Christian and very definitely a centrist. I originally thought Pragmatist, but that wasn't what the chart said.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Kathryn41

He's my husband's and my favourite so far.  We are fortunate that we have so many good candidates from which to choose, but yes, Pete Buttigieg would be good.  Now that John has shared some of his overleaf material, that reassures me even more:-).  Hopefully, we will get the rest of his overleaves soon:-).

• LIKE/LOVE 4

CurvyWords

After doing some cursory research I REALLY like him. I had stars in my eyes for Beto during his run in Texas but that quickly died out once he announced his bid. Unless he pulls some miraculous policy initiative out of his ass, I'm uninterested in all the hopeful rhetoric. 

This guy, I really like, I can see him taking it all the way. At the very least, I think he's going to spark a very needed conversation within the religious community. I'm all for progressive Christianity, if it wasn't for the rejection of the LGBTQ (and the years of control and subjugation) I might have ended up in seminary school. I'm no longer religious but I will still break down crying at certain gospel songs and I still listen to the sermons of my former pastor on their website from time to time.

I'm SUPER curious if liberal Christians will show their homophobic asses over this guy. And I'm curious how many religious minds will change over the subsequent treatment of him. I definitely see his bid in the running as a kind of pulse check as to where we are in America regarding homosexuality in the church.

I think of my own former pastor, who was super progressive and I found great solace in his work and community in his church. He was the first white man I had ever seen outright condemn White Supremacy from the pulpit. However, he categorically believes homosexuality is against the teachings of the bible. He never said it out right, but I knew. I think we all did, especially as a young multicultural gathering of millennial Christians.

I hope he drums up a lot of attention and a lot of support. I see him as a much needed catalyst that will hopefully give traditional organized religion a much needed punch in the balls.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Kerrin

I like Mayor Pete too-  but it will really come down to where he stands on the issues.  ESP Healthcare and the support of a single payer system.  I still place Bernie Sanders & Liz Warren at the head of the line because I know where they stand and they have consistently fought for us. 

• LIKE/LOVE 7

Troy

I like Pete and am amazed that a married gay man is rising in respect and popularity in politics... but he has a blind spot when it comes to issues facing people of color and LGBTQI communities (such as defending the police in a shooting of black teen and saying the diminishing phrase “all lives matter,” and speaking flippantly and dismissively about corporations such as Chick-fil-A funding anti-LGBTQI agendas.)

They aren’t deal breakers and could just be a matter of MidWestern ignorance, but they are being seen as red flags. I hope he thoroughly addresses these and is open to insight from the communities affected by such carelessness. 

• LIKE/LOVE 11

Janet
15 hours ago, John Roth said:

as I've said before, it's time for the old folks (and I'm 75) to get out of the way of Gen-X and the Millennials

I'm completely with you on this. I recently donated to the campaign of Andrew Yang after hearing him speak about how the people in control of our government are either technophobes or technology illiterate and thus there are very few (mostly ill-informed) attempts to address technology and technology companies via regulation, etc. (I'm putting words in his mouth based on how I interpreted what he was saying.) So, although Yang has not a chance, I wanted to support his voice on this subject. 

I generally like Elizabeth Warren but was alarmed to hear her speak about breaking up Amazon and Google, etc., because they are now too big. Well, how did they get too big? Where were the regulations and laws and oversight that kept them from buying out all their competitors? A policy of tearing things down only after they grow large enough to alarm us doesn't make much sense to me. Government just isn't keeping up with the vast changes brought on by technology, and they're nowhere near being able to plan for the future changes technology will bring. 

I worked with large computer systems for more than 30 years and have always been an early adopter of gadgets. So, even though I'm 64, technology doesn't scare me. However, my sorority group is women early 60s to mid-70s, and it is total frustration for me that at least one of these women doesn't use email (she also refuses to buy anything online, because it's "dangerous") and one has decided she doesn't like cell phones, so please don't send her text messages. (The non-email user finally adopted text when her company provided a phone for her that she was required to use and she discovered how text messages were useful to her.) The others use email and text, but regularly get confused and frustrated with simple technological issues (a software update? why?). When I created an online version of our event calendar that they could access at any time, only one took advantage -- the rest thought it was too much trouble to compare it with the paper calendars they carry in their purses. (Yes. Seriously. Alongside their smart phones, which they all now have primarily because their children insisted.)

In terms of technology, I think this group is pretty representative of the age group now in control of the federal government. All of these younger men and women running for President grew up with technology and use it constantly in their daily lives. When you look at the ancient members of Congress who can't even seem to get email down right, why would you be surprised that they have no idea how to manage the growth of Amazon, Google, etc.? Quite aside from GOP tactics, Congress is not doing anything about Russian interference in our last election because as a group they have not ONE CLUE what to do about it. 

I have heard Buttigieg speak briefly on a couple of occasions, and will watch him because he's articulate and not afraid to speak up on issues where some fear to tread because of politics. And, of course, because he's young enough that he probably hasn't held onto his landline 😉 and knows how to use platforms like Twitter in a way that isn't hostile and solely self-promoting. (Like someone we all know.) I believe he's supposed to appear on TRMS Monday, right after his Sunday "special announcement."

(P.S. I'm now following all candidates of interest to me on Twitter. It's interesting to see how they use the platform and which are willing to publicly comment on issues rather than just having staff pump out campaign promotion messages.)

• LIKE/LOVE 8

CurvyWords

@Janet Thanks for posting your perspective on this, I really enjoyed reading it! You brought up several good points about technology and how it's come to play in our (political) world today. I can't help but think of how AOC has been able to seamlessly incorporate it. I live for seeing millenial Twitter clapbacks and her live streams making dinner and talking about policy. And then I love to see older politicians try to emulate what she's been able to do and fail miserably. It's all really funny, but I do commend them for trying to "get with the times". 

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Sam K

Not a fan.  Generally too capitalist, too centrist, and too "status quo" for my liking.  Particularly troubling to me are the points Troy mentioned, as well as his stances on Israel/Palestine and Chelsea Manning.

Don't mean to be a downer or anything, just my honest impression.

• LIKE/LOVE 12

Aaron(space)Kraft
19 hours ago, John Roth said:

Shepherd Hoodwin did his chart. I got it from Aaron, but didn't write it down, so I only remember part of it. 7th level Mature Priest. Emotional part of Intellectual center. His ET may be Scholar or Server, IIRC.

I'm very much in favor of him - as I've said before, it's time for the old folks (and I'm 75) to get out of the way of Gen-X and the Millennials, and he's a first wave Millennial. He's got a lot going for him, and not just that he's gay. He's from the Rust Belt, a devout Christian and very definitely a centrist. I originally thought Pragmatist, but that w

asn't what the chart said.

Here's Shepherd's reading: 7th-mature priest, discarnate scholar ET, artisan/server casting, 82/18, 48 frequency, 10 previous cycles, discrimination sliding to acceptance, skeptic, power, intellectual/emotional part, martyrdom, mercurial/lunar/martial, adventure/security/freedom, and cadre 3 (1)/entity 7

• LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU! 1

Christian

honestly, 

Not impressed.  He has an habit of answering questions in such a way as it is open to interpretation as to what he is for or not.   I suspect some of that would be cleared up later, but so far he hasn't impressed me. 

But then, lately,  even Bernie is to far right in my opinion. 

• LIKE/LOVE 6

Janet

I watched Buttigieg on TRMS last night and thought he was fairly articulate and well-spoken under pressure. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Deborah Turnor

I find Buttigieg to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing...there are so many talented women with loads of experience.

Moonfeather

I like him as well as I like all the other candidates currently in the race. I definitely got a server/scholar vibe from his as well.

The one person who really sparks me is Stacey Abrams but she isn't running. I think we have plenty of good candidates and any one of them would serve us well. I just hope we can all get behind who ends up being the front runner. Pete is a good, solid choice and he checks boxes for a variety of communities. I like that he is a veteran and that may account for how he appears when he talks in public. We veterans learn to hold shit back and not let our inner thoughts show as much. I've not mastered that as well as some but I think some of his reservedness and measuredness comes from that. Speculation, of course, but being a veteran is important when it comes to being in public because of how we were taught (brainwashed) to be in public. 

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Aaron(space)Kraft
On 4/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, CurvyWords said:

@Aaron(space)Kraft Thanks for sharing this! Where did Shepard post this, on his website?

This was shared in one of the Michael FB groups. I think it may have been David Gregg's.