Eric

Notre Dame Fire and Human Spirit

Eric

As many likely have heard by now, a major fire tore through the venerable Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. The central spire collapsed and most of the roof was destroyed, along with major damage to surrounding structures. The blaze was so big that many feared it would burn the whole cathedral to the ground. This CNN article gives some news and videos of the event.

Luckily, no one was killed, and so far only one first responder has been confirmed injured. That is pretty amazing considering this was an incredibly difficult fire to fight, and required a massive effort by hundreds of firefighters and first responders. Thankfully, their hard work led them to contain the fire and, while structure threats still remain, it seems as though most of the main building has survived, including the facades and the two iconic bell towers. Likewise, with luck and the grace of well-planned architecture, the stone vaulted ceiling provided the interior some protection from the burning and collapsing roof and spire above. A number of priceless cultural heirlooms inside were confirmed safe, though many are yet to be accounted for.

Although perhaps not as viscerally shocking as other humanitarian tragedies where lives are taken and lost, there's still a sense of stun and grief in many ways. I've not yet been to Paris myself, but Notre Dame was the top of my list of things to see there, and I was deeply saddened to see her burning. It's sobering to think that, if the chance ever comes, I'll never get to see her as she once was. I can only imagine the feelings of the Parisians and French, who were seeing a treasured piece of heritage, an embodiment of heart and soul for France, burned and gutted. As one observer said, "Paris without Notre Dame is no longer Paris." Even more potent is the fact that it occurred at the start of Holy Week leading up to Easter.

Something that struck me as I learned about all this was the reaction of the crowds that gathered and watched the tragedy unfold. As masses held vigil all around and into the night, the people sang. To mourn the tragedy unfolding, people sang together, spontaneously as well as through coordination. Michael has said before that, despite what might be thought, humans are ultimately a very Expression-oriented species, and I think it's moments like this that really give an insight into that core of human spirit.

Below are some clips of the onlookers. The news segment is long, but should start when they focus on the singing, and is followed by some good commentary.

Edited by Eric
  • LIKE/LOVE 5
  • THANK YOU! 2
  • WHAT/WOW! 1
  • SAD 4

KurtisM

This is a beautifully perfect example of the theme of Empowerment we chose this year according to the Ms. It's refreshing to see such Unity.

From the January 2019 Ask Michael.

"MEntity: 2019 could be said to themed in EMPOWERMENT, with the Positive Pole in Unity, the Negative Pole in Rebellion."

As a side note, I speculate that Humanity is moving into collective themes of Curiosity, Sharing and Unity from our ingrained Young Soul themes of Progress and Power.

I wonder if future generations will look back at these moments in time as being the clear catalysts for their Mature Soul world. Perhaps these events will eventually be looked upon as healings.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

DanielaS

Beautifully said, @Eric. Thank you for the videos. Very moving. 

I saw someone say this on Twitter: "What a particularly horrible day for those of us who are the kind of people that still get depressed sometimes about the Library of Alexandria." 

• LIKE/LOVE 9

Eric

@DanielaS - Yeah, the Library came to mind for me too as I was reading and watching about this.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1