Meditation - Nausea and Dizziness?

Kasia

Question

Kasia

I've got a question about some unpleasant side effects of meditation. I've started up a regular practice recently and in meditations that are really deep and focus on actively working with moving energy around and through the body, I always experience some level of:

• nausea
  • dizziness or spinning that feels like I'm falling
  • extreme body temperature changes that range from getting really hot and sweating to cold and shivering (sometimes within minutes of each other)
  • headache and pressure in the Third Eye Chakra (intense) and Crown Chakra (less intense)

Sometimes these get so extreme, I'm worn out after the meditation and all I can do is sleep. If I don't sleep, the headaches/pressure usually linger for hours.

Does anyone else experience this? Did it get better with time and practice, or is there a way to lessen these effects? Is this simply the lower frequency/dense body adjusting to higher frequency levels? I've tried loads of grounding exercises, talking to my body, asking Essence to slow down the seeming firehose levels of energy, but none of it really helps, so if anyone has suggestions, please share. I'm going to keep practicing, but I'd love to be more enthusiastic about meditating rather than apprehensive about what I'll have to endure while practicing.  

Thanks for any help!

UPDATE: Inspired by @CurvyWords reply, apparently these are called "Ascension symptoms" (Google at your own risk) and they're a thing. Although all this sounds very woo woo to me and most of the terminology used is IMO superfluous (or at best, symbolic), I can't deny the symptoms are real. 

Edited by Kasia
UPDATE
  • LIKE/LOVE 13

23 answers to this question

CurvyWords

Yes! I layer my explorations of the MT with other stuff, particularly some of the more wacky Ascension concepts. Truthfully, I think that as a Priest I can't really "do" spirituality with just the kind of grounded, deadpan, fact-based flavor of Michael. I get a lot of filling in the gaps from more "glamorous" casual teachings that may explain things that I don't exactly understand? But I feel and know them to be true.

I discovered the work of Susannah Redelf (here's her website: https://councilofone.org/) through a different Michael channel who goes to her for weekly energy tune ups, and she channels a casual teacher called the Council Of One. I would say her work is what really sort of kicked my spiritual journey into overdrive. Particularly, a book written by her teacher called "What Is Lightbody?" If you're into anything ascension related, I suggest checking it out. Michael has described the concept as simply a more glamorous way to describe Manifesting Essence and I've found that process to be so much more intense and than what I've been exposed to with Michael.

i'm telling you all this because Susannah has a guided meditation on her website called Unifying Fields, and the first time I listened to it and meditated along with it, I experienced a lot of what you're describing. In fact, many times I've listened to it, I've actually had to keep a bucket near me because I get so nauseous I start retching and have even thrown up. It was startling at first but, What Is Lightbody explains that it's super common.

My understanding is that some people are carrying a tremendous amount of foreign energy, or even energy that's theirs but might be somewhat outdated. When you unify your fields (which seems to just be a conscious decision to unite your physical body, your emotional body, your mental body, and your Essence), they start to "spin" really fast, your charkas get all lit up, and you start to expel some of this energy. Some people yawn/sigh, some people cough and clear their throat, some people shake, and apparently, the most unlucky of us will throw up.

As annoying as it is in the moment (it happened less and less and now rarely if ever happens at all), I always felt "clearer" and "lighter". And now, when I feel that nausea come on, I literally just gently ask my Essence to slow my fields down because I'm feeling kind of sick. In What Is Lightbody, they teach that your higher self isn't aware of many physical symptoms but you can let them know and they will help. I've had to mentally shout "MY FUCKING HEAD HURTS!" And instantly, the pressure behind my eyes will be relieved.

But yes, I would ask Michael about it just to be sure, I don't really talk to them about my Ascension work because I superstitiously believe that part of what makes this other set of teachings work for me is my profound trust and innocent curiosity and willingness to explore it myself and come to my own conclusions, and I feel like Michael would take one look at it and be like "this is a profound delusion" and I'll be sad LOL.

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • LOL 1
  • THANK YOU! 2
John Roth

Where did you get the form of meditation you are using?

This is a serious question. If you're trying to mix and match, don't! Once you start doing energy meditations, trying to do energy work from more than one school at the same time can raise havoc with your etheric body.

As far as Redelfs goes: I use her system myself. I have several suggestions. First, go to the techniques section on her site and look at the Empath techniques.  This technique doesn't need the Unified Field Meditation as a precursor. I've been using this technique since the late 70s with good success. Over time, it will clear out a lot of junk, and when you use it on your surroundings, it works like the banishing rituals in various forms of magic: it cleanses your environment as well.

Second, go to the articles and workshop section and get the Personal Energy Maintenance 101 workshop and at least read the PDF. Most of the system she teaches is in there, as well as explanations and cautions.

Third, learn to lead yourself through the meditation rather than listening to the audio. Some of those symptoms are caused by trying to go through it too fast. Once you learn that, you can learn to pace yourself and avoid a lot of the mess.

• LIKE/LOVE 9
  • THANK YOU! 1
  • WARRIOR
Uma

I have had some of the effects you talk about--intense pressure in the 6th chakra, for example, but have not experienced nausea or the other symptoms you speak of. I would definitely ask Michael about it. It doesn't sound right as continuing effects. If it happened once and didn't last, I wouldn't worry about it, but if it continues or lingers and interferes with your practice, I would definitely ask Michael. There might be a simple explanation that would either make it worthwhile or might alter the way you are meditating.

• LIKE/LOVE 9
Evelin

Oh, poor you. I had a mild case of your symptoms when I began meditating again after many years. I suspect sleep is just what you need then... inconvenient sometimes, but.

A funny (brain-related) note: I’m still on antidepressants and I have the weirdest side effect now: orgasms give me headaches 😄 They haven’t deterred me so far, though...

So just keep at it, or take a break. And probably just let it happen? Resistance and trying to guide what happens may be responsible for some of the effects you experience.

• LIKE/LOVE 10
Wendy

My 2 cents/first hits about this...

The energy is not flowing smoothly and is getting stuck in the places where you are experiencing pain.  Something is *not right* with your breathing (that voice arose in me out of nowhere).

Why are you doing this meditation over other types that may not produce those symptoms?  There's so many to choose from that will likely leave you feeling better not worse!

Since I was nauseous and dizzy for many years, I run like hell from anything that creates those symptoms in me.  If we knew what type of meditation you are doing, maybe could give more technical advice.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
Kasia

Thanks for the replies and helpful resources everyone! A bit of background about this to help clarify any confusion about what meditations cause this and why I keep doing them: this may have happened before, but the experience I remember as one of the first is when I started working with Sanaya Roman's Opening to Channel 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember how many times I actually did the meditation she has in the book, just that it was draining enough I decided to shelve my channeling practice in favor of less intense trance states. A guided meditation isn't required though. I could sit down with some music and feel nauseated, dizzy, and sweating in seconds if I want. I could also avoid it by not allowing such a deep trance state, but I'd rather learn to manage it because, from experience, what's on the other side of the discomfort is more than worth it.  

I recently happened across Joe Dispenza's work, and the Unified Field terminology you mention, @CurvyWords and @John Roth, sound much the same as what he describes. That's about as far as I go with teachers outside of my favored Michael and Seth, since my Skeptic Attitude has me triple validating things before I let them through. I'm keeping an open mind with this, so will gladly look at Susannah Redelf's work, especially the Energy Maintenance 101 workshop.

@CurvyWords, I've never let it get to vomiting, but I feel like our experiences are very similar, and intuitively, it feels like this is just part of the process of clearing out outdated energy, similar to how there's muscle soreness after starting a workout regimen, but if there's a better way, I'm all for that. Glad to hear it gets easier, too!

@Uma, this is definitely on my list of questions for M's, but I thought I'd pick your guys' brains first because who better to ask than TLE.

@Wendy, I've seen other sites where people mention that energy is getting stuck where there's pain, but with a full-body sensation of falling or an overall sense of nausea, it's difficult to pinpoint. As for why I'm doing it? Honestly, curiosity. Plus, I like breaking through whatever blocks me, and not only has this been a head-scratcher for years, it's also limiting what I know I'm capable of when meditating. 

On that unrelated note, @Evelin, I knew a guy who partially lost his vision after orgasms, and yeah, that didn't stop him either. 😂

Edited by Kasia
  • LIKE/LOVE 7
Tincha

I don't know how you meditate. Sitting? In a special position? Maybe it's just a posture your body doesn't like. For me the symptoms sound as if something in your neck or lower back is being pinched or cannot flow properly. 

• LIKE/LOVE 6
Stickyflames

Sounds right to me.

I find it is quite absurd how so many of us attribute meditation with relaxation.

meditation has led to the most unrelaxing moments of my life.

you are literally sitting there practicing the art of being.

When we just ARE, everything begins to shift. Old wounds come up begging to be heard, pleasures, old identities, foreign voices, own voices, wounded parts of the psyche call for attention, cells vibrate etc.

Last year during meditation I lost all sense of self and for two weeks after, i was so disassociated from reality that I had no idea how to function. My body also went numb in various places.

Meditation is deeply healing and part of that deep healing is bringing it all to the surface so this is going to show itself in physical symptoms.

For me, the trauma of it has actually softened since last year when I began.

I think it is important to find a grounding to whatever feels like a sense of self after deep meditation. Like exercise or mundane chores or sipping a nice cup of coffee, anything to help you become a self again.

Meditation is also exhausting, it is exhausting to process what comes up in meditation and it is perfectly normal to want to have periods of rest/ sleep when first committing to the practice.

I think the more we allow a focus of self in our day to day life, the less threatening the uncontrolled chaos of meditation becomes because we can trust we can always return to a self. The less threatening these experiences become, the sooner they pass...move through us...and allow room for the next trauma to rise to the surface.

good luck! 

Edited by Stickyflames
  • LIKE/LOVE 7
  • THANK YOU! 1
Jeroen

I started with a practice called NEW (New Energy Ways) developed by Robert Bruce around 2014. He had the idea that certain regions of the body like the feet and hands are conduits for energy. His practice uses visualization exercises such as imagining a stroke of a brush across different regions of the body to stimulate those regions. Then through a similar brushing motion, the energy can be moved across greater regions like from the feet, up the legs, and into higher regions of the body. The same applies from the hands, up through the arms, and into the body. Another example would be a stirring motion like stirring soup with a spoon but then imagine that motion occurring in a part of the body so that you literally feel the motion within. There are many more ways to go about this too with the use of some creativity.

I do think there is a period of time for the body to adjust when working with energy on a more regular basis. From what I remember, Robert recommended starting with working on other regions of the body like the legs and arms first before moving onto the major chakras. I like his method because with it, I can focus on any region of my body at any time and work on stimulating or healing that region. I do not think there is anything magical about any of this though. It is something that requires practice and to give the body time to adapt to the changes of energy flow. After doing this for a few years, I noticed the effects less than I did when I first started. I still feel the stimulation of the energy flow but it is less intense.

Usually I practice when I am driving on my way to work, while sitting in a meeting, or sometimes before I go to sleep at night.

In addition, I tend to pickup energies of other people throughout my days. This is especially the case when I am in large crowded rooms. If I do not practice cleansing myself on a regular basis, I tend to start feeling sick over time. Sometimes I feel like I am light headed, fatigued, have headaches, and even feel nauseous. I find it beneficial to cleanse myself at least once a day. This could be as simple as a visualization exercise of fresh energy flowing across or into the body, or going out into the forest and being as present as you can be and imagining being connected to everything. Grounding exercises are helpful too.

I agree with Tincha too. I have had chronic back pain for many years. I find if I do not try to take care of my back such as with stretching, chiropractic adjustments, or some other means, that I start to have health issues similar to what I described in my previous paragraph.

Edited by Jeroen
  • LIKE/LOVE 9
  • THANK YOU! 1
Kasia

@Tincha, it's more the depth of meditation than position, since I can meditate in a less deep trance state for various lengths of time with none of these side-effects. The best I can liken it to is what Michael said about Mindful and Mindless meditation in the Transcending the Ego MMW.

"[W]e dare describe what we suggest as Mindless Meditation. What is often considered 'mindful' is simply more to think about. What we speak of is reducing thought to a singular focus that is not concerned with meaning or 'mindfulness,' but the very simple state of existence."

Getting to that state of existence, or what they also call a state of no-thought, is when these side effects happen. And @Stickyflames, that sounds pretty much like what you're describing, too, since they said another way to transcend the Ego is through psychedelics and their effective dismantling of Ego for a period of time, though I've never experienced that. I can relate to re-grounding a sense of Self, though. When I've managed to stay awake, I also found I'm drawn to the most mundane things afterwards, as if I need to remind myself that I'm on the Physical plane again. I think the desire for sleep just makes this transition easier. 

Thanks for sharing, @Jeroen. The idea of working with extremities as a way to work up to the more powerful chakras caught my attention. I think I'm starting to get the message to "slow the fuck down," which is not my preferred method of doing things. 😀

• LIKE/LOVE 9
ckaricai

I have experienced the dizziness and nausea and headaches from meditating also. Grounding into the ground has the opposite effect. Instead of giving the energy somewhere to go it’s feeding your energy and making you more energized. Grounding is supposed to keep you from draining all your energy. 

It was suggested to me to skip the grounding step and instead hold hold a piece of petrified wood instead and that did help. Tho I wasn’t doing energy work with my meditations. I was just doing astral explorations. I don’t know what reiki practitioners do to move energy around safely, but i’d look into that. 

Edited to add: What else is going on in the room or space you are meditating in might also effect the energy in the room. If I burn incense or play music it changes the energy. I get dizzy faster and the things I visualize become more shimmery. So I no longer do those things while meditating.

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 5
  • THANK YOU! 1
Kerrin

Like @CurvyWords-  I also recommend Susannah Redelfs- not only for the meditations she has posted on her website, but also as a healer.  I actually consider her my etheric doctor and have healing sessions with her and The Council regularly.  We don't realize how nexuses, parallel mergers and energy shifts affect us physically- ESP any of us who are planetary or energetic healers ourselves.  Every session, she asks if I have been "hit by a truck" recently.  So it might be worth it to have a session with her-  and find out why all this is happening to you when you meditate.  Trust me-  the Council can fix it.

• LIKE/LOVE 7
Allie

I’m so glad to have found this page. Last night I did one of Joe Dispenzas new meditations called “empowering the power within” and I went very deep. I actually did it twice. Within 20 minutes my stomach was so bloated and I felt nauseous. Haven’t felt well all day. Last year this happened to me twice, both of those times had me on the toilet all night. The common thread is the depth. 

I have a daily practice with guided meditations through joe dispenza but it’s when I begin creating and feeling deeply that the sickness or exhaustion comes. Many times I have felt depleted after meditations but only 3 times have I become physically ill. 

Im wondering if anyone has gotten a better understanding since this thread was posted. At first I thought it was coincidence but I’m beginning to feel a connection. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! 

Also. Just saw the ascension symptoms update and I’ll check that out. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
ckaricai
On 7/18/2020 at 2:44 PM, Allie said:

I’m so glad to have found this page. Last night I did one of Joe Dispenzas new meditations called “empowering the power within” and I went very deep. I actually did it twice. Within 20 minutes my stomach was so bloated and I felt nauseous. Haven’t felt well all day. Last year this happened to me twice, both of those times had me on the toilet all night. The common thread is the depth. 

I have a daily practice with guided meditations through joe dispenza but it’s when I begin creating and feeling deeply that the sickness or exhaustion comes. Many times I have felt depleted after meditations but only 3 times have I become physically ill. 

Im wondering if anyone has gotten a better understanding since this thread was posted. At first I thought it was coincidence but I’m beginning to feel a connection. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! 

Also. Just saw the ascension symptoms update and I’ll check that out. 

I don't know the details of your meditation so I can't comment on that. This same thing happened to me recently. I wasn't meditating, but I've been working on moving my chi around my body while doing tai chi. I feel better afterwards. Experiencing that prompted me to try moving my chi around while not doing tai chi. It didn't turn out well. When I asked my reiki master friend about it she said that my chi was blocked in my third chakra. When I thought about it what she said made sense because that day I was focusing on that chakra because I was trying to gather chi in my right hand and I felt a tug in that chakra and tried to push it out to my hand. I guess I was focusing a little too hard there because I started feeling a pain in my belly and bloating. It wasn't pleasant. I had to focus on my feet and breathe deeply to try to make the pain go away but that didn't work very well. I just had to lie down and wait for it to stop. I"m never doing that again. LOL Anyway, it prompted me to get a book on chakras so I can better understand it. So maybe your chi is blocked in your third chakra when you try to do that meditation. I'm not sure how you would make it stop either. I've been trying to focus on my feet or the top of my head tho. That helps a little bit when I'm moving around, but not so much when I'm standing still, but I can't say why. 

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 6
Timothy J Sullivan
On 5/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, John Roth said:

Where did you get the form of meditation you are using?

This is a serious question. If you're trying to mix and match, don't! Once you start doing energy meditations, trying to do energy work from more than one school at the same time can raise havoc with your etheric body.

As far as Redelfs goes: I use her system myself. I have several suggestions. First, go to the techniques section on her site and look at the Empath techniques.  This technique doesn't need the Unified Field Meditation as a precursor. I've been using this technique since the late 70s with good success. Over time, it will clear out a lot of junk, and when you use it on your surroundings, it works like the banishing rituals in various forms of magic: it cleanses your environment as well.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Kerrin said:

Like @CurvyWords-  I also recommend Susannah Redelfs- not only for the meditations she has posted on her website, but also as a healer.  I actually consider her my etheric doctor and have healing sessions with her and The Council regularly.  We don't realize how nexuses, parallel mergers and energy shifts affect us physically- ESP any of us who are planetary or energetic healers ourselves.  Every session, she asks if I have been "hit by a truck" recently.  So it might be worth it to have a session with her-  and find out why all this is happening to you when you meditate.  Trust me-  the Council can fix it.

Is Redelfs working with her Entity and/or another Casual Entity in her work? Who/What is the "Council of One"?  Has ME (through Troy) commented?

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • ARTISAN
Janet

@Timothy J Sullivan -- see her website: Council of One

Susannah's stuff as a whole really doesn't fit my personality. However, I attended one of Susannah's Council of One sessions at a Michael East Coast Gathering, and I was intrigued. Before she got into the session she went around and touched a number of people (she says she sees energy), and when she touched my back to "fix" something, damn if I didn't feel energy flowing up my back. So I think she's onto something anyhow. 

Although her website calls the Council a "merged entity of 5th-dimensional souls," when I saw her she explained something a little bit different. I understood the Council to be a collective and not a Causal Entity like Michael. Just like you'd define council: like an advisory body or task force. Perhaps an organization similar to how Michael described PODS. But I could have misunderstood and I haven't interacted with Susannah enough to ask questions. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
Kerrin
12 hours ago, Timothy J Sullivan said:

Is Redelfs working with her Entity and/or another Casual Entity in her work? Who/What is the "Council of One"?  Has ME (through Troy) commented?

My understanding is that the Council of One is another Causal plane entity (or part of another entity) like Michael, but one who focuses on energetic and planetary healing.  They are quite familiar with Michael and will often reference one's overleaves in a session, esp as some energies can affect the roles differently.  Susannah is a Michael student as well, but her skills as an etheric healer have her working/channeling with The Council.   Many of us participate in her free monthly planetary healing sessions.  Pretty much one either resonates with The Council, or it doesn't spark any interest.  I was told my essence part of the Uraeus group of planetary healers, tasked with maintaining energy grids around the planet- and esp the NYC area.  So this could be why I felt the resonance.  As Michael would say- she is doing Good Work.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
Timothy J Sullivan
16 hours ago, Janet said:

@Timothy J Sullivan -- see her website: Council of One

Susannah's stuff as a whole really doesn't fit my personality. However, I attended one of Susannah's Council of One sessions at a Michael East Coast Gathering, and I was intrigued. Before she got into the session she went around and touched a number of people (she says she sees energy), and when she touched my back to "fix" something, damn if I didn't feel energy flowing up my back. So I think she's onto something anyhow. 

Although her website calls the Council a "merged entity of 5th-dimensional souls," when I saw her she explained something a little bit different. I understood the Council to be a collective and not a Causal Entity like Michael. Just like you'd define council: like an advisory body or task force. Perhaps an organization similar to how Michael described PODS. But I could have misunderstood and I haven't interacted with Susannah enough to ask questions. 

Thanks Janet! I'm trying out some of her meditations, particularly the Unified Field Galactic version. We'll see how that goes.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
Evelin

I just misread the title of this thread ”Meditation and silliness” and then thought... hey, there’s an idea!

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • LOL 3
Timothy J Sullivan
14 hours ago, Kerrin said:

My understanding is that the Council of One is another Causal plane entity (or part of another entity) like Michael, but one who focuses on energetic and planetary healing.  They are quite familiar with Michael and will often reference one's overleaves in a session, esp as some energies can affect the roles differently.  Susannah is a Michael student as well, but her skills as an etheric healer have her working/channeling with The Council.   Many of us participate in her free monthly planetary healing sessions.  Pretty much one either resonates with The Council, or it doesn't spark any interest.  I was told my essence part of the Uraeus group of planetary healers, tasked with maintaining energy grids around the planet- and esp the NYC area.  So this could be why I felt the resonance.  As Michael would say- she is doing Good Work.

Thanks Kerrin! Maybe I'll tune in to a session and see how it resonates with me. Are they free for anyone?

• LIKE/LOVE 2
Timothy J Sullivan
On 7/20/2020 at 1:05 AM, ckaricai said:

I don't know the details of your meditation so I can't comment on that. This same thing happened to me recently. I wasn't meditating, but I've been working on moving my chi around my body while doing tai chi. I feel better afterwards. Experiencing that prompted me to try moving my chi around while not doing tai chi. It didn't turn out well. When I asked my reiki master friend about it she said that my chi was blocked in my third chakra. When I thought about it what she said made sense because that day I was focusing on that chakra because I was trying to gather chi in my right hand and I felt a tug in that chakra and tried to push it out to my hand. I guess I was focusing a little too hard there because I started feeling a pain in my belly and bloating. It wasn't pleasant. I had to focus on my feet and breathe deeply to try to make the pain go away but that didn't work very well. I just had to lie down and wait for it to stop. I"m never doing that again. LOL Anyway, it prompted me to get a book on chakras so I can better understand it. So maybe your chi is blocked in your third chakra when you try to do that meditation. I'm not sure how you would make it stop either. I've been trying to focus on my feet or the top of my head tho. That helps a little bit when I'm moving around, but not so much when I'm standing still, but I can't say why. 

To balance and circulate my Chi/Vital energy I practice several Chi-Kung routines that I learned from ENERGY ARTS (https://www.energyarts.com/). 

The teachings are by Bruce Frantzsis who is linage-holder Taoist master, who really knows his stuff. It's comprehensive, well-paced and practical. I feel assured I'm covering my whole body and energetic system. No guessing.

PS he also teaches Tai Chi.

Edited by Timothy J Sullivan
  • LIKE/LOVE 3
Kerrin
On 7/21/2020 at 1:26 PM, Timothy J Sullivan said:

Thanks Kerrin! Maybe I'll tune in to a session and see how it resonates with me. Are they free for anyone?

Yes, Susannah hosts the group calls usually the 2nd Thursday of every month- from 3:30-4:10 PDT.  Her assistant, Maryann, will send out a reminder email a couple days in advance.  If you email her, she will add your name to the email list she sends out.  The reminder will give the ph# and code to enter the group.  Absolutely free-  the more people, the stronger the energy!

Maryann's email address is maparr99@gmail.com.

• LIKE/LOVE 2