Jump to content
DanielaS

Fleabag

Recommended Posts

DanielaS

Fleabag (IMDb link) is a series from the UK viewable on Amazon Prime in the US. Season 2 was just released a few weeks ago.

 

I went into Season 1 a couple years ago thinking, oh here's an edgy comedy from the UK about a woman. I enjoy edgy UK comedy. But the end of Season 1 hits you upside the head in an emotional way you don't expect. I could watch Phoebe Waller-Bridge's face all day, the way she mugs into the camera and makes you her confidant.

 

So I had great expectations for Season 2 and I was still blown away. This show is Art, in the way that Art should shake you and fucking make you feel, and feel deeply, in a way that seems to come out of left field. Season 2 is about Love, the joy and the pain. I've rarely felt such an emotional connection between two characters on a TV screen. I felt it in my gut and . . . in other places.

 

How this show relates to Michael Teachings, I can't really say. I'm still trying to figure out what this IS on it's own terms.

 

That's all I'll say, but if you saw it, let's share reactions below.

 

 

  • LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juni

I just finished binge watching this past weekend and loved it so, so much. 

  • LIKE/LOVE 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanielaS
10 minutes ago, Juni said:

I just finished binge watching this past weekend and loved it so, so much. 

 

Did you binge watch both seasons this weekend, or just Season 2? What was the scene that won't get out of your head? For me, it was the "Kneel" scene, of course.

Edited by DanielaS
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juni

Both. One of mine is when she is dropping those glasses all deadpan.  Another is Boo shaking her head no when she starts to tell hot priest about her. So many questions!

  • LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Diane

@DanielaS  Thanks for posting this, I will definitely have a look.  I found some Phoebe interview clips on youtube and loved her! 

  • LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
William

Love love love Phoebe. Breaking the fourth wall and the priest catching her at it. "What are you looking at"?

Olivia Coleman is priceless as the mother.

 

  • LIKE/LOVE 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanielaS
12 hours ago, William said:

Breaking the fourth wall and the priest catching her at it. "What are you looking at"?

 

 

Yes! That was a brilliant moment. It gave me chills. I think her use of breaking the fourth wall is her way of distancing herself from her emotional pain. If you perceive yourself as a character always being observed by an anonymous audience, you can distance yourself from yourself. You can feel yourself removed from your emotions. You're just a character on a stage.

 

And the Hot Priest is the only one in her life who can see her breaking the fourth wall! He is the only one who really SEES her. And that is Love, being seen intimately and being accepted for who you are. That was brilliant.

Edited by DanielaS
  • LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juni
3 hours ago, DanielaS said:

 

 

And the Hot Priest is the only one in her life who can see her breaking the fourth wall! He is the only one who really SEES her. And that is Love, being seen intimately and being accepted for who you are. That was brilliant.

He's also the only one who isn't pretending everything is just fine, apart from her, but he doesn't get punished for it because priest. And hot.
 

  • LIKE/LOVE 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickG
3 hours ago, DanielaS said:

Yes! That was a brilliant moment. It gave me chills. I think her use of breaking the fourth wall is her way of distancing herself from her emotional pain. If you perceive yourself as a character always being observed by an anonymous audience, you can distance yourself from yourself. You can feel yourself removed from your emotions. You're just a character on a stage.

 

Literally what it feels like to be a Sage on my end, like ALL THE DAMN TIME. Shits weird 🤣🤣

  • LIKE/LOVE 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanielaS
20 minutes ago, NickG said:

 

Literally what it feels like to be a Sage on my end, like ALL THE DAMN TIME. Shits weird 🤣🤣

 

Really? That's what your experience of Sage is like? Tell me more. That's validating for me because I decided that the Fleabag character was an Old King-cast Sage. Not the actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge, because I don't have a sense for her, but the character she plays.

  • LIKE/LOVE 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juni
1 hour ago, NickG said:

 

Literally what it feels like to be a Sage on my end, like ALL THE DAMN TIME. Shits weird 🤣🤣

Can confirm .

  • LIKE/LOVE 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickG

@DanielaS well it's not like an uncomfortable, someone peering into your life sort of feeling but more there's always a sense of a neutral, crowd of observers that are removed from whatever you're doing. It's something you can sort of forget that's there but seems to always be in the background. Very strange but you kinda just live with it. 

  • LIKE/LOVE 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickG

@DanielaS Also, thank you, thank you, thank you for recommending this series. I binged it in a couple days an absolutely fell in love with it. I love Phoebe’s character and energy so much. Started watching other creative projects she’s involved in, looking up interviews, etc... She just seems so fun and confident. Such an inspiration lol

  • LIKE/LOVE 5
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanielaS

@NickG That’s so great! That makes me so happy! Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking me up on my recommendation. Tell me which parts or scenes you liked best, what moment or line really got to you.

  • LIKE/LOVE 3
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickG

@DanielaSThe series finale made me cry for a good half hour lol It was such a bittersweet and amazing moment. I’m still mad at the priest but I get his hang ups. Anything that has two people who are in love and the timing just isn’t right for the both of them always gets to me. 

 

When Fleabag is introducing the hot guy with the personality of a soulless douche, and she does the quick fourth wall break after she introduces him and just goes, “Fucked me up the ass” all cheekily and merrily. It was such a funny moment I still think about it sometimes and it never fails to make me laugh. 

 

I just really loved her character. Fleabag isn’t really an inspiration lol but Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who plays her is. It’s like she helped me remember a part of myself I had forgotten. She’s just so much fun and doesn’t take herself too seriously. I have a suspicion she may be a Sage-cast Artisan from our Entity. She looks and feels uncannily familiar. The similarities in looks between her and my Task Companion are crazy. They even make a lot of the same faces and expressions. Freaked me out a bit the first time I watched the show lmao Fleabag even seemed to have that entity 2 theme of opening Pandora’s Box involving her family members and close associates lol I’d love to get some Michael info on her at some point. 

  • LIKE/LOVE 8
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanielaS

Thank you for sharing your reactions, @NickG!  The final scene at the bus stop is shattering. These two characters were so real to me by this point, their emotional & sexual connection was so visceral, that I was totally invested in what was going to happen. And this digs up all our own experience and pain of "not-the-right-time love" and missed chances.

 

I said in an earlier post that I think the Fleabag character is a King-cast Sage. Or maybe reversed-- I always get the cast/role reversed. The Sage flavor is obvious but the King because she is searching for mastery of herself. Like in the confessional, when she tells the priest that she wants someone to tell her how to live, to dictate her choices for her, because she thinks she is getting it all wrong. That was heartbreaking and then the "kneel", and oh god, is it hot in here?

 

 

  • LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogi
On 6/7/2019 at 2:32 AM, NickG said:

Anything that has two people who are in love and the timing just isn’t right for the both of them always gets to me. 

 

@NickG

I know the feeling. There is something so bittersweet about it. I can almost feel the aching and longing.

 

My favourite scene was Kristin Scott Thomas´monologue about menopausa. 

"There is nothing more exciting than a room full of people. (...) People are all we´ve got."

 

I love Phoebe´s writing, her characters are believable and they talk to us about us.

  • LIKE/LOVE 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evelin
On 6/5/2019 at 11:09 PM, NickG said:

@DanielaS Also, thank you, thank you, thank you for recommending this series. I binged it in a couple days an absolutely fell in love with it. I love Phoebe’s character and energy so much. Started watching other creative projects she’s involved in, looking up interviews, etc... She just seems so fun and confident. Such an inspiration lol

 

@NickG and @DanielaS, I liked Fleabag, it's intimate and, well, painful (grief is a close friend to me this lifetime). But I actually enjoyed Phoebe's "Killing Eve" even more. It's dark, dry, but hilarious. The intimacy inherent in the criminal/detective relationship has been explored before (various versions of Sherlock Holmes come to mind), but is still interesting. Especially when it's two women for a change!

  • LIKE/LOVE 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juni
On 6/6/2019 at 5:32 PM, NickG said:

@DanielaS @NickG

Fleabag isn’t really an inspiration lol but Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who plays her is. I have a suspicion she may be a Sage-cast Artisan from our Entity. She looks and feels uncannily familiar.lmao Fleabag even seemed to have that entity 2 theme of opening Pandora’s Box involving her family members and close associates lol I’d love to get some Michael info on her at some point. 

I also feel like PW-B is weirdly familiar, but no irl counterpart for me.

  • LIKE/LOVE 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juni
6 hours ago, Evelin said:

 

@NickG and @DanielaS, I liked Fleabag, it's intimate and, well, painful (grief is a close friend to me this lifetime). But I actually enjoyed Phoebe's "Killing Eve" even more. It's dark, dry, but hilarious. The intimacy inherent in the criminal/detective relationship has been explored before (various versions of Sherlock Holmes come to mind), but is still interesting. Especially when it's two women for a change!

This show makes me wonder if they are depicted doing a Monad, or have karma or might even be essence twins.

  • LIKE/LOVE 2
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnnaD

I haven't been able to watch Fleabag yet as it hasn't made its way to NZ tv/Netflix. I so want to watch it. I get the same familiar

vibes from Phoebe Waller Bridge from watching her tv show Crashing, and I haven't seen but want to watch Killing Eve for similar reasons @Evelin mentioned. If no one has asked for her role/casting, cadre/entity and soul age prior to Jan 2020, I will make a point of asking for it, and some other questions about her potentially. 

 

What I get from her is somehow that I know her, and some kind of connection. Or maybe she is that good, generous, enthusiastic and inviting an actress, that she gives many people that same vibe of sharing/confiding/inclusion/welcoming. She seems like a big kid in a personality/lifetime that I hope she is in control of. I get the feeling that she is in control, rather than being controlled by her PR company or whatever. @NickG I wonder if we have had connections with her in past lives. I will ask Troy in January 2020.

Edited by AnnaD
  • LIKE/LOVE 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jana

I am going to hide this as a spoiler for those who have not seen it yet, as it hints to how the story goes.

Spoiler

Loved when she said to the fox "he went that way" 😁. One of my daughter's friends described the feeling at the end of Season 2 as "emotional blue balls". When the last episode finished, I just turned to my boyfriend and said "I'm so glad you're not a catholic priest.".

 

Edited by Jana
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ckaricai

I started with season 1 and watched three or four episodes in a row. I really tried to like it, but at most I felt meh about it. I know it won an emmy for something. Maybe best actress or best comedy and my coworker gushes about it. I'm just not feeling it. It didn't interest me enough to continue watching it. 

  • LIKE/LOVE 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evelin

@ckaricai, if you mean Fleabag didn’t touch you, you can feel sort of glad about it. My friend and I saw another piece about grief once, a film called Genova, and he said people who feel nothing much watching that are lucky. (I’m not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanielaS
On 11/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, ckaricai said:

I started with season 1 and watched three or four episodes in a row. I really tried to like it, but at most I felt meh about it. I know it won an emmy for something. Maybe best actress or best comedy and my coworker gushes about it. I'm just not feeling it. It didn't interest me enough to continue watching it. 

Season 1 is good but it’s Season 2 that blew people away and won all the awards. Skip season 1 and start again with season 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...