AnnaD

Apathy and hopelessness, Positive change and confidence in incremental minute steps

AnnaD

So New Zealand has announced a Zero Carbon Act, proposed by James Shaw Green Party Climate Change Minister, to set carbon emission targets for New Zealand's Agriculture, Transport and Energy Industries. The trouble is, his Zero Carbon Act has no legal enforcement. For those of you who are not aware, New Zealand's main industry responsible for methane emissions is animal agriculture by a huge margin. Going VEGAN in New Zealand, will more than halve New Zealand's total greenhouse gas emissions. I am VEGAN.

I wrote this as a press release, which has not been released in any of the news websites I emailed it to. 

Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon Emissions Act) Amendment Bill critique press release

By Anna Dobson

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/petitions/document/PET_87778/petition-of-phillip-clarke-declare-climate-change-a-national?fbclid=IwAR3GuGf4ehoMr2dbUKxtpMXtrvOniPftd2BUKUgZrsftAU2XlU38dPgtDd8

There are 33 days left to sign the petition Sign Petition: NZ, Declare a Climate Emergency.  6129 people have signed and we need 16,000 people minimum to sign before June 30 2019.

We are asking people to Declare a Climate Emergency as Guardians of Aotearoa, so our MPs will Declare a Climate Emergency and make the Climate Change Response Amendment Bill 2019 a coordinated new independent piece of legislation that requires amendments to the CMA, RMA and EEZ-CS Act so that the Agriculture, Energy and Transport Industries of Aotearoa are obliged to comply with legislation demanding that they limit their carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide emissions in their existing business activities, and in future activities proposed by permit/consent applicant/applications.

All industrial short lived and long lived greenhouse gas emissions from the Agriculture, Energy and Transport industries will comply with enforceable carbon emission targets, and those industries greenhouse gas emissions targets are accountable to, and audited by, an independent regulatory authority with powers to penalise industries that fail to limit their emissions, and with powers to halt trading, fine and prosecute, industries that continue to flout carbon emission targets established in an RMA + CMA + EEZ-CS coordinated  independent new zero carbon emission law, rather than the non legally binding Zero Carbon Act 2019 proposed by James Shaw.

The Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon Act) Amendment Bill proposed by James Shaw fails to go far enough in making the industries whom are responsible for, on an industrial scale, emitting most methane and nitrous oxide, and carbon dioxide, respectively, Agriculture, Energy and Transport, legally obliged, and legally accountable, to achieving their proposed limited emission targets. There is no independent Greenhouse Emission Target Regulatory Authority charged with enforcing legal compliance and prosecuting, non compliant industries, named in this new Zero Carbon Act 2019.There is no legislative requirement in James Shaw’s proposed Act, which makes Agriculture, Energy or Transport obliged to comply with emission targets proposed in The Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon Act) Amendment Bill. The lack of legal compulsion in this proposed Act in obliging industrial compliance with limiting and achieving, each industries emission targets is obscenely conspicuous and is a failure of duty of care to tangata whenua, making this proposed Act  hopeless. See excerpt below from

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2019/0136/11.0/LMS183736.html

Subpart 5—Effect of 2050 target and emissions budgets

5ZJEffect of failure to meet 2050 target and emissions budgets

(1)

No remedy or relief is available for failure to meet the 2050 target or an emissions budget, and the 2050 target and emissions budgets are not enforceable in a court of law, except as set out in this section.

(2)

If the 2050 target or an emissions budget is not met, a court may make a declaration to that effect, together with an award of costs.

(3)

If a declaration is made and becomes final after all appeals or rights of appeal expire or are disposed of, the Minister must, as soon as practicable, present to the House of Representatives a document that—

(a)

brings the declaration to the attention of the House of Representatives; and

(b)

contains advice on the Government’s response to the declaration.

5ZK2050 target and emissions budget are permissive considerations

(1)

A person or body may, if they think fit, take the 2050 target or an emissions budget into account in the exercise or performance of a public function, power, or duty conferred on that person or body by or under law (subject to other requirements that apply by or under law).

(2)

However, a failure by any person or body to take the 2050 target, an emissions budget, or guidance issued undersection 5ZL into account does not invalidate anything done by that person or body.

We endorse the Climate Change Response Group Generation Zero’s submissionhttp://zerocarbonact.nz/assets/Uploads/Generation-Zero-Zero-Carbon-Bill-consultation-submission-July-2018.pdf

Following excerpt from http://zerocarbonact.nz/assets/Uploads/Generation-Zero-Zero-Carbon-Bill-consultation-submission-July-2018.pdf

Please sign and share this petition https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/petitions/document/PET_87778/petition-of-phillip-clarke-declare-climate-change-a-national?fbclid=IwAR3GuGf4ehoMr2dbUKxtpMXtrvOniPftd2BUKUgZrsftAU2XlU38dPgtDd8

to Declare a Climate Emergency in Aotearoa, to support Generation Zero’s Zero Carbon Bill Consultation Submission in favour of the current Climate Change Response Amendment Bill.

Ok so if you even read that, thanks you deserve a medal, which is probably why it didn't get a Press Release, now in the intervening week when this petition has garnered as of today, 8200 plus signatures (at 15,000 parliament is required to Declare a National Climate Emergency), the Conservative NZ Political Party has somehow vetoed the rest of us Declaring a Climate Emergency. So, Declaring a Climate Emergency in New Zealand/Aotearoa is now fucked over by the (Farming interests) Conservative Political Party. New Zealand is a major agricultural animal slaughter provider. There is so much we could grow for edibles and industry that is plant based... so much..

Just when I dared to believe things may have been building some momentum in the right direction, this shit hits the fan. 

I really want to know how this shitfest ends. That is my question to The Michaels, How does this shitfest end? Who survives? And 

what hellscape are they surviving in? 

How the fuck are people keeping any sense of galvanised spirit up? Am I right in guessing we are all little divided silos of hope whose

lights are faltering and go out at critical times? Whose lights go out when it would have been great if their lights were still on, beaming out

to someone else that they are not alone and the light is being carried by someone who is stronger and can continue the vision of a Resource Based Economy where most people are eating and growing a Plant Based (VEGAN) diet?

I feel like I am sinking and I beginning to wonder how much I care about a bigger picture if the bigger picture that I am putting my energy into i.e. Going VEGAN, which then means by being VEGAN one mitigates Climate Change, I walk to work as of next week as my house is that close by to work,  is being fucked over again and again, by 

people who do not want to change. People can change, I won't be there to see it on the scale that is necessary to achieve Zero Carbon Emissions. This picture of Greta Thunberg is our collective situation. What are you doing about Climate Change? NON VEGANS, do you realise that Going VEGAN mitigates the major culprit of Climate Change? Agriculture is the main culprit in NZ, causing Climate Change. What are you doing to minimize Climate Change?

I will keep asking for signatures to the Sign Petition: NZ, Declare a Climate Emergency - as the issue of Climate Change is beyond critical. Unfortunately none of you can sign it, as only @Miizle and I are New Zealanders. Only New Zealanders' can sign it. 

Life goes on apparently until it doesn't. First world concerns from a decent left leaning government. Thanks to @Juni for this very sad image of Greta Thunberg drowning. 

Greta Thunberg drowning in climate changes' rising oceans.jpg

Edited by AnnaD
more detail for non New Zealanders, which most of you are
  • LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU! 2

michael_k

There are a lot of vegans in Melbourne, Australia but across the country many get slandered for it, as if following an ethical diet is an insult to everyone else. The more rural parts of Australia are really bad in terms of meat farming as well, and the politics is disappointing to say the least. Many are in Queensland support of new coal mine funded by an Indian company known as Adani because they believe it will bring jobs, when the truth is, renewable energy investment has far more payoff in terms of job creation.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

AnnaD

@michael_k, there is the same level of idiocy around Vegan diets in New Zealand too, although the popularity of Vegan foods are making many farmers nervous, although once they got beyond their nervousness, they could actually participate in growing high demand Vegan crops such as Oats/Avocados/lentils/chickpeas/coconuts/cashews/.... there is so much scope to develop a very diverse horticultural market - in New Zealand, Australia and worldwide. These crops aren't new, they are just overlooked because Animal Agriculture is prioritised. Farmers need to be financially enabled to diversify into plant crops to feed both humans and animals.

If more people ate a plant based diet, which delivers all of the flavours, including umami flavours, which many falsely associate only with animal products, the world would reduce it's methane greenhouse emissions by a fucktonne. There is no reason to continue to impose the desire to keep eating meat/dairy/eggs and have the rest of us suffer for a meat eaters/dairy eaters pleasure. 

https://challenge22.com/

It can be done. It is one of the greatest things that can be done on a personal level to mitigate climate change. Growing your own food is enjoyable and easy too. I do both of these things and have a wealth of land to grow my fruits/nuts/veges. It is a real pleasure growing and eating my own plant produce. 

Edited by AnnaD
  • LIKE/LOVE 9

Evelin

Fucktonne!

Love your expressions.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Miizle

Yeah @AnnaD, i think the main problem here is indeed the length and complexity of the text, it needs to be edited down ("Climate crisis for dummies" and think click bait style, unfortunately...) Kudos for your efforts!!

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Miizle

@AnnaD i read in disbelief stuff that people write in the Sustainable Queenstown FB group. Just yesterday someone was asking how to make their own yogurt cheaper than from the supermarket sachets (to avoid buying plastic tubs i guess?). All responses involved using cow milk either in powdered of different types of liquid form, and people were like Yay that is so awesome! O_O WTF...

• ANGRY 1
  • EYEROLL/MEH 2

AnnaD

@Miizle, yeah, it is so frustrating that non Vegans even bother being sustainable, given that non Vegans insistence on 

eating dairy/meat/eggs is THE driver of climate change. Once a Vegan diet is a permanent dietary lifestyle, then the efforts

that are made MAKE a difference. Until a Vegan diet is adopted, non Vegans are driving the acceleration of climate change. If animal agriculture is driving it here in our small 4 million people population (NZ), and our sheep/cows/pigs are "free range"

pastoral grazing animals, then the demand for sheep/cows/pigs in factory farming overseas will be contributing greatly to

accelerated climate change. Apathy of non Vegans is the cause.

I know my press release is too wordy, I fight dumbing it down for click bait.... I did cut a lot of detail out lol

• LIKE/LOVE 2

CurvyWords

Ugh. Thank you for your thankless work. I personally have been totally ironypilled so enjoy my depressing jokes about climate crisis.

• LOL 2