Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

Christianity Made Me Talk Like an Idiot

Bobby

For those who've grown up in the Christian culture, you will likely highly relate to this 🙂

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Maureen

Here! Here! I noticed this Seth Andrews speaking engagement was here in Toronto. 🙂 I love his way of thinking and his humour. So many things are so obvious... once you can see them. 🧐

Some thoughts...

I consider myself to be an atheist in the purist sense ~ "a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods". This was arrived at during an interesting phone conversation with Geraldine where I, literally, backed my way into it. It had us both laughing... it still does.  

What can annoy me, at times, about "atheists" is when they take their new beliefs (yes... it's all about beliefs no matter what you believe) so far away from "God or gods" that they can't/don't attribute anything beyond the physical as having any merit. They not only cannot see the beauty (order, pattern, etc.) in the metaphysical elements they cannot see them at all. So atheism, if taken to extremes, can be (almost) as restrictive as many of the religions are -- in their pursuit of truth, love and beauty. 

Wasn't it reassuring to hear this from Michael about the Compassion Timeline -- to know there is at least one where we "got it right".

MEntity:  There is no pollution or overpopulation because there is no religion.

MEntity:  Infinite Soul Manifestation were reframed and stripped of their "bibles" and left as represented by very simple, single-sentence Truths.

• LIKE/LOVE 13

Sam K

It's interesting to me, the ways people use language to discuss topics that aren't easily put into words. I suspect Seth Andrews' definition of what it means to be "atheist" is quite a bit different from Maureen's, for example, and the definition of Christianity used by both Seth and the sort of people that would be considered part of (western, conservative) "Christian culture" is certainly very different from the definition with which I identify.

There's a point to be made somewhere in there relating to a religious subculture leading to one "talking like an idiot," but I got two hours of sleep last night, so I have no idea what that point actually is. 🙃

Edited by Sam K

Bobby
2 hours ago, Sam K said:

It's interesting to me, the ways people use language to discuss topics that aren't easily put into words. I suspect Seth Andrews' definition of what it means to be "atheist" is quite a bit different from Maureen's, for example, and the definition of Christianity used by both Seth and the sort of people that would be considered part of (western, conservative) "Christian culture" is certainly very different from the definition with which I identify.

There's a point to be made somewhere in there relating to a religious subculture leading to one "talking like an idiot," but I got two hours of sleep last night, so I have no idea what that point actually is. 🙃

Bless Your Heart

🤣

• LIKE/LOVE 1

Christian

I know Seth Andrews.

He was a raised in an evangelical Christian home.  His parents actually honeymooned in the Holy land.

He worked in Christian radio in thw 80s and 90s.

Became an atheist in his 40s right at the time that Dawkins, Harris, hitchens and Dennett were 'the four horseman'.

I have followed him for many years and met him in STL.

Lately, I have become disillusioned with him and others of the new atheist movement.

Hitchens died.  

Harris has turned in member of the IDW and hangs out with likes of Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson and Dave Rubin. 

Dennett basically read the winds and stuck to his professorship.

Seth, AronRa, and Matt Dillihunty became major figures in the athiest community.

The biggest issue I have is a young atheist youtuber Rationality Rules post a video on trans women in women's sports.  This man actually said in the video that he didn't want to see a day when women's sport is doniminated by Y chromosomes. The internet called him out on it.

RR went to an event where Matt was at that was sponsored by the Atheist Community of Austin.  The ACA is kinda looked at as a leader in the Atheist world. 

It was only AFTER the event that the ACA was informed about the transphobic video.

The ACA denouced RR.

RR whined about it on YouTube 

The ACA had a meeting and the board retracted their denouncement. Half the board resigned on the spot and many of the members at the meeting walked out. Matt is a founding member of the ACA.

Dillihunty made a statement of support for RR via Twitter.  AronRa did the same on a podcast and then later admitted he hadn't watched the original video. Apparently, Seth also show support for RR.

A trans youtuber going by the name Essense of thought broke the down exactly why RR'S video is transphobic.  And also why his apology videos aren't.

Steve Shives also commented on the drama in a video.

Seth has done some amazing work.  Lately, it really began to feel like his work was getting stale. Similar subjects talked about many times over.  I haven't watched a full video of his in months. That disillusionment combined with this, made me realise what Essense of thought stated in her latest video on this issue.  The atheists seem to care more about their cliques, or clicks, then they do about people they have harmed.

This particular video is pretty good. 

Just thought some more information about the creator might be useful.

Edited by Christian
Proofing
  • LIKE/LOVE 5

Christian
11 hours ago, Maureen said:

What can annoy me, at times, about "atheists" is when they take their new beliefs (yes... it's all about beliefs no matter what you believe) so far away from "God or gods" that they can't/don't attribute anything beyond the physical as having any merit. They not only cannot see the beauty (order, pattern, etc.) in the metaphysical elements they cannot see them at all. So atheism, if taken to extremes, can be (almost) as restrictive as many of the religions are -- in their pursuit of truth, love and beauty. 

It is worse than that.

You are actively mocked if you state anything like that.  

Seth does an annual ghost story show around halloween. He is considered a leader in the Atheist community.  He gets crap for it every year.  

At one point, I was going down the Atheist rebbit hole I began to question what I had learned here.

I felt myself closing off to part of me and it hurt.

That is when I began to see it for what it is.  Just another hierarchy similar to religion with purity tests and everything.

I think the thing that finally did it for me was listening to Matt Dillihunty, Rationality Rules and Sam Harris all sit there and make the arguement that free will doesn't exist.

None of them realizing that they were making the religious argument that god has a path for you and it is already chosen.  

To me, the argument that there is no free will is straight up denial of the power choice.

Their logic falls apart there for me. I have lived without embracing choice and I have embraced it at times.

I have found my life to be better with it.

Anyway, I am rambling well of course.

But yes @Maureen the doctrine and hierarchy of a church are very much there.

• LIKE/LOVE 7

michael_k

I was raised as an Atheist, but gave it up when things happened during my teen years that made me more philosophical and less satisfied with a purely materialistic view on reality. I have to agree with @Christian, there is a definite sense of dogma that comes along with Atheism that makes it more like a religion in some senses than an open philosophy. Many things have happened since that have opened my mind up to a more spiritual understanding of the universe and I have essentially outgrown Atheism as I knew it and doubt I could ever return, even if I entertained the idea.

• LIKE/LOVE 1