Maureen

Oblivions & I Am Easy To Find - Music/Short Film - The National

Maureen

I watched The National's new song Oblivions on The Tonight Show last night and loved it. It's been a while since I got lost in a song -- the way it builds. It felt transcendent. It made me seek out more. That's when I found their new short film/album: I Am Easy To Find.

It's almost like you're not afraid of anything I do 

How I want you here
You don't know what it's like to be around you
I still got my fear

It's the way you say yes when I ask you to marry me
You don't know what you are doing
Do you think you can carry me
Over the threshold
Over and over again until oblivion?
It's the way that you're gonna stop needing to tell me
You want me as much as I want you to tell me
I'm over the threshold
Everything is gonna be totally okay until oblivion

I still got my fear
I still got my fear

It's still always you every morning I think of no matter what
How I want you here
I know I am easy to find but you know, it's never me
I still got my fears

It's like a tide in a city lifts me and carries me around
And oh, my mind is made up out of nothing, now
If nothing scares you about me and you, never put me down
Oh my mind is made up out of nothing, now

You won't walk away, won't you?
You don't walk away, don't you?
You won't walk away, won't you?
You don't walk away, don't you?

I still got my fear
I still got my fear
I still got my fear
I still got my fear

This short film is a brief view of life... with a haunting soundtrack. It's poignant and sweet, distancing and watchful, and a wee bit neutral in some ways, as love is wont to be. It shows how much we capture, and how much we miss at times, as we roll through. 

Article on NPR:  The National Premieres 5 New Songs With Stirring Short Film, 'I Am Easy To Find'

Upon the announcement of The National's I Am Easy to Find — due out this Friday on 4AD — the band promised a short film that would accompany the record, starring Alicia Vikander and directed by Mike Mills (who directed the 2010s movies Beginners and 20th Century Women). The short film is here, accompanied by reworked versions of five new singles: "Quiet Light," "Rylan," "The Pull of You," "Oblivions" and the album's title track, in addition to the already-released "Light Years."

I Am Easy to Find carries some of the emotional resonance of a Richard Linklater film — think Boyhood or the Before trilogy — condensed into a tight 24 minutes. It finds Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Danish Girl) in all the stages of a middle-class existence, from birth to death, and briefly delving into each stage — as if watching a supercut of home movies. Rather than pinpoint the emotional heft of a single big life event, I Am Easy to Find takes a sprawling glance at life's totality, each subtitled and carried by Vikander's expressions.

There's an emphasis on the cyclical nature of life: the temporality of close friendships (of which she has four), the turmoils of marriage ("Arguing ... about the same things," the film warns), financial crises and the remembrance of the past.

The National is well-suited to soundtrack these weighty dramas in brief. Sometimes, it plays as mere background music and other times, it accentuates and amplifies Vikander's joys and woes. It's engrossing, lovely and at times droll, as a short film from the National should be.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

ckaricai

I’m actually finding their new album kind of meh. I also am not sure how I feel about them having so many guest singers. It’s funny tho because this album isn’t *that* different from their previous albums. Could be that by now i’m beginning to become bored with their sound. Still, I like the lead singer’s voice. I find it soothing,  and I would like to see them live. Now that I know how to get to the stadium where they tend to play while they are here by subway I probably will try to see them next time they are there, assuming they don’t sell out before I can get a ticket. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Diane

Thank you, Maureen.

Loved listening to their music - Oblivions is great.

Edited by Diane
  • LIKE/LOVE 3

Wendy

I'm looking forward to checking this out.   Funny this band has been coming up in my shuffle in the car almost daily lately and more often than not they get a replay and volume raised!

• LIKE/LOVE 4

RachelL

Beautiful, Maureen. I love this band and this actress.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

ckaricai

Thanks to this thread, this song popped into my head today: 

I wracked my brain trying to figure out which album it's from. Even tho I've listened to all their albums countless times I can only remember the song lists from Boxer and Alligator. I finally had to google the lyrics to figure it out. The song in my head is from their last album, Sleep Well Beast. Also, the timing of this post is syncronous I think, since they played right here in Brooklyn the last two nights I couldn't go to either show. Whaaaaaa. Sad face. My friend went and texted me while she was there last night. She said it was a good show, and it stopped raining just in time since it was an outdoor show. Really sad I missed it. Decided today I'm going to play all ten albums in chronological order to see how many I can listen to before I need to switch to something else. LOL

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 2