Miizle

Coconut oil

Miizle

What is your take on coconut oil? Has any of you looked into it extensively? Is there a massive difference in raw and steam+clay filtered odourless coconut oil - as in, are there adverse health effects from the latter? There is no health claims whatsoever in any deodorised "cooking oils" that I have ever seen so pretty safe to assume all the "good things" are gone, but I'm just wondering if it's actually bad for you. 

Also, if anyone has looked into the claims that (raw) coconut oil is not healthy for some genetic groups, like Northern European people.

Thanks!

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • THANK YOU! 1

Christina Lily Pedersen

I swear by Dr. McDougall, and he says all processed oils should be avoided completely.

I did this for a long time now and get very ill when I consume oil by accident.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Becca the Student

Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which, as far as current medical science knows, is not the greatest for you to consume. I’d recommend cold-pressed olive oil or sesame oil if you need to cook with an oil. Coconut oil is wonderful for the outside of you though; it provides some great binding ingredients for your skin and hair that help to keep moisture in. 🙂

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1

Michèle

Coconut oil has so called medium length fatty acids which are said to be healthy for the gut and gut flora because they are absorbed well by cells of the intestine and are food for the friendly gut bacteria, and have antimicrobial properties. If you google, you'll find lots of information on that, I have copied a few links. I use it externally and internally, e.g for skin infection with neem oil, or as a "lotion", and cook with it. I don't think it's as bad as animal-origin saturated fatty acids, unless you eat kilos of it.... but you shouldn't do that with any fat 😄

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/coconut-oil

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2019/07/what-is-mct-oil/

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Kathryn41

I regularly use cold-pressed, unrefined, organic coconut oil.  While it is considered a saturated fat, the fat is composed of medium chain triglycerides, not long chain triglycerides and are actually a preferred fuel source by the body.   Medium chain triglycerides are actually a source of fat that is very easily accessed by the liver for energy much like carbohydrates do but does not cause a spike in glucose nor insulin so it is especially good for those with diabetes.  Naturally occurring plant based saturated fats are actually helpful for your heart, as many in the medical field are now beginning to realize.  Coconut oil is also high in lauric acid which the body converts to monolaurin which is a strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial chemical the body uses to fight off these invaders.  There are a number of good articles available about the beneficial qualities of coconut oil, but this one also contains some of the scientific/medical rationale for why it is good for you:  https://thenutritionwatchdog.com/the-real-truth-about-coconut-oil-dont-believe-the-propaganda/

Oh, and I am 98% genetically Northern European :-).

Edited by Kathryn41
added comment
  • LIKE/LOVE 3

Oscar

Like with protein, consuming raw oil/fat/cholesterol is always healthier than cooked/processed, because heating changes the structure, and creates harmful substances. In case of oil/fat those are trans fats.

Saturated means there are no double carbon bonds, while mono-unsaturated means there's one, and poly-unsaturated has more.

Because of those double bonds, unsaturated fats are less stable than saturated fats, and will more easily convert to saturated trans fats when heated.

Trans fats are classified as saturated, which is why saturated fats have gotten such a bad rap.

There's is no difference health-wise between saturated and unsaturated when they are in a raw state. The body can use them equally well.

• THANK YOU! 2

Miizle

Yeah as far as i have read, most recently saturated fats are *not* regarded bad, but got the bad rap thanks to trans fats, as @Oscar said. We actually need saturated fats. People just love to be scared of "fat".
Anyhow, thanks there was some good info here in the replies. I think there is more to it, though, so, if anyone decides to look even more into it, please post your findings here 🙂

Personally my thing with coconut oil is that i used it as a butter substitute on bread. I started with a clay filtered one that the seller (online in a natural health FB group) claimed health benefits, but later on i found out it was also steamed in lowish temperatures (i think it was like 58C or something). I'm still wondering what exactly that does to it. Then i moved onto the raw stuff and got used to the flavour. Then after a few years i started "tasting" it again, and i don't actually like coconut. I just really like bread and "butter", but i haven't seen a healthy vegan butter alternative in the shops here. So i kind of alternate between the raw and the deodorised, depending on how i feel like. I very rarely need oil for cooking, so that doesn't bother me.

@Christina Lily Pedersen, which oils does this guy classify as processed (what type of processing)? Or, probably easier to answer which he does not 😛 Usually these kinds of strict health diets i think tend to allow cold pressed olive oil and coconut oil. Maybe nut oils? But not cold pressed other vegetable oils, which i am not quite sure what exactly is supposed to be wrong with them, i have probably read about it once upon a time, but not everything stays in my head.... Like cold pressed sunflower oil for example?

Edited by Miizle
  • LIKE/LOVE 1

Becca the Student

Hmm, I haven't heard anything about saturated fats being good for you, and a quick google search doesn't provide any sources for me. The links above reference studies with either very few participants or studies that compare between oils--which doesn't help clarify what consuming coconut oil itself actually does to the body, only what coconut oil does in comparison to consuming other oils. Studies that reference the milk or the fruit aren't helpful; coconut milk and the coconut fruit are different in their chemical properties than coconut oil.

It IS true that medium-change fatty acids can be beneficial! But I can't find anything that says saturated fats are safe. Could you provide a study or medical/scientific journal that says that? I'm intrigued.

I don't mean to be a party pooper. Obviously, it's your body and your choice: eat and consume whatever you want. But just to share from my own admittedly-second-hand and absolutely not expert knowledge: I have family and friends who are doctors, some heads of their department, and none of them believe saturated fats are good for you; fats in general are fine, some fats you definitely want to keep in your diet... but saturated fats solidify at room temperature, and the general rule they've taught me is that if it can solidify at room temp, it can solidify in your arteries, so better to avoid or limit intake.

Edited by Becca the Student
  • LIKE/LOVE 1