Miizle

Hurricane Dorian

Miizle

Just watched this footage from someone's house in the Bahamas a few days ago when hurricane Dorian went through. The contrast between indoors and outdoors is so surreal. So scary. 
And to get the embedded link, I for some reason ended up scrolling through a lot of the posts on the FB page of "Bahama Press" to find the video again (a brain fog moment or something.). The destruction, the pictures of missing people... I don't usually react to disaster news heavily, but this is just so awful. I just can't help thinking, what have we done????  😣😭

Hope ya'll safe. Hope we're going to fix all of this, soon, for real. 

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • WHAT/WOW! 3
  • SAD 2

Bobby

The winds of a hurricane are bad enough and building codes can account for some of that but it's the water, storm surge, that does most of the damage.  You can't stop 9-10 feet of water rise other than building above its potential the people in this video did.  That was such a slow moving storm and for it to be a Category 5 and practically churning in place since it was only moving about 1mph for so long was devastating.  I find storms like this so fascinating in that they can powerfully form simply from rising air from warm waters.

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Maureen

@Miizle, it is surreal -- like a dream. I was mesmerized as he talked in a such a calm measured tone walking about his house bringing us the views outside of every window. This adds another layer to the surreality of the world right now. Thanks for posting. ♥

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Miizle

@Maureen absolutely, I agree about his calm demeanour. 
I think one reason why this video affected me so much is that it indeed is like a dream and very much resembled "nightmares" I have sometimes; water 
suddenly surmounting me, big waves, or approaching tornados. You don't go yelling about, you just watch them come and wonder if you're going to make it and silently do what you do to survive. Or at least that's what I'm usually like in dreams.

And the fact that this video is scarier than my scary dreams, and it's happening to people, is what was hard for me to process. 

• LIKE/LOVE 2