michael_k

My Own Theory of Generations and Saeculum Cycles

michael_k

Hi all,

I've had this theory for awhile and while it may seem rather complex and far-fetched, that is exactly the reason why I want to write it out and make sense of it, so here it goes...

I’ve been reading a lot about theories of generational cycles recently and it got my attention when some members of TLE also began talking about the idea of a repeating cycle that occurs across eras, affecting individuals based on when they were born and entailing cyclical event patterns along the way.

Channeled material about such cycles from the Michael Entity seem to correlate with Strauss and Howe’s (S&H’s) concepts of generations, that is, a Saeculum lasts approximately 80 or so years and contains four generations, such as that of the Boom Generation, Generation X, the Millennials and the Homelanders (Generation Z), which collectively form the Millennial Saeculum as named by S&H. According to the theory, each generation has a different characteristic within the Saeculum, whether it be Idealist, Reactive, Civic or Adaptive, in that order before the cycle repeats again under a new Saeculum.

Another individual whose work I’ve been reading, Eric Meece, correlates S&H’s generational cycle to Astrology, with Saeculum cycles roughly aligning with Uranus and its orbital cycles/years, every 84 years. Meece has noted that Uranus was at the same point in the sky during the Battle of Fort Sumter, beginning the American Civil War and the height of a Saeculum ending Crisis, as it was during the Landing in Normandy during World War II, another peak Crisis moment. Uranus was also in a similar position during the American Declaration of Independence, keeping in rhythm an Astrological cycle that correlates with S&H’s theory.

Channeled information from the Michael Entity has expanded on this somewhat, noting that we are in a Mature Soul Age themed Saeculum as of now. If we are to use 84 year timings for these Saeculums, we end up with a 420 year pattern, with the current cycle looking like this:

1673-1756 – Infant Soul Age Saeculum

1757-1840 – Baby Soul Age Saeculum

1841-1924 – Young Soul Age Saeculum

1925-2008 – Mature Soul Age Saeculum

2009-2092 – Old Soul Age Saeculum

The dates listed indicate years of birth for those born within each Saeculum.

It is to be noted here that these 84 year length eras do not match up exactly with S&H’s dates, although there are similarities. The Infant Soul Age Saeculum starts roughly in time with what was referred to as the Enlightenment Generation (1674-1700) in S&H’s work, which was of the Adaptive archetype. @Janet here on TLE also created a chart of generations with corresponding Soul Age Saeculums, in which the Enlightenment Generation began the Infant Soul Saeculum, so this alignment matches with previous theories somewhat.

The Baby Soul Age Saeculum starts roughly in the middle of what was labelled as the Republican Generation (1742-1766) by S&H, which was of the Civic archetype. The Young Soul Age Saeculum subsequently begins around the same time as S&H’s Progressive Generation (1843-1859), an Adaptive type. The Mature Soul Age Saeculum begins with the Silent Generation (Adaptive type once more), defined by S&H as running from 1925-1942. The Old Soul Age Saeculum starts in 2009, around the time which some have defined as the beginning of Generation Alpha, although this does not follow the lines of S&H’s theory.

S&H’s original theory had Saeculums beginning with an Idealist generation, whereas as my models seem to begin most times with an Adaptive generation, or near enough to it. My reasoning for this is that I see the generations in a different light. Instead of having four generations of the archetypes of Idealist, Reactive, Civic and Adaptive, I have thought about the idea of 12-year Michael Teachings Role-based generations, that is, generations that are either Server, Artisan, Warrior, Scholar, Sage, Priest or King, in that order, coming together as component parts of an 84 year cycle. As an example, the Mature Soul Age Saeculum would look like this, in terms of birth years:

1925-1936 – Server Generation

1937-1948 – Artisan Generation

1949-1960 – Warrior Generation

1961-1972 – Scholar Generation

1973-1984 – Sage Generation

1985-1996 – Priest Generation

1997-2008 – King Generation

Each of these generational cohorts would take on the characteristics of the Role they are assigned. For example, an Artisan Generation would emphasise Ordinal Expression based aspects, and a Priest Generation would emphasise Cardinal Inspiration aspects as a group.

I have also taken into account the idea of Saturn Returns into this new generational theory. Saturn completes an orbit once every 29.5 years, and in this time a person goes from birth to full adulthood, complete with a decade of experience as a twenty-something in order to define themselves into the future, rather than be defined by the circumstances they were born into. One Saturn cycle can be considered a ‘Personal Saeculum’, in this sense.

It appears to make sense that each generation would require roughly one Saturn cycle in order to mature and begin leaving a true imprint on the world, and for the Mature Soul Age Saeculum, I think that the ages of maturity would look something like this:

1954-1965 – Server Generation

1966-1977 – Artisan Generation

1978-1989 – Warrior Generation

1990-2001 – Scholar Generation

2002-2013 – Sage Generation

2014-2025 – Priest Generation

2026-2037 – King Generation

This would indicate that the Priest Generation (1985-1996), is currently reaching maturity and therefore we are undergoing a point in our Saeculum cycle where Priest lessons are emphasised. Also, because our Saeculum is a Mature Soul Saeculum, these lessons are likely to be contextualised within a Mature Soul framework, or at least in relation to those concepts.

One other idea that I believe is possible under this paradigm of interpretation is that a 12-year period focusing on a certain Role, and the maturity of a corresponding generation, could contain within it the 12 Support Circle positions, with each position being taken up by a particular year. If we are to break up the Priest Generation’s years of maturity/Saturn Returns in this way, we get the following example:

2014 – Love

2015 – Knowledge

2016 – Compassion

2017 – Mentor

2018 – Beauty

2019 – Child

2020 – Humour

2021 – Anchor

2022 – Discipline

2023 – Healer

2024 – Enlightenment

2025 – Muse

This would indicate that 2019 is a Child year within a Priest theme in a Mature Soul Saeculum, and would likely emphasise that which needed nurturing in the world in comparison to other years, in ways that emphasises and relates to the teachings and learnings of the Priest role and the Mature Soul Age.

I plan on writing about this theory more later, and my thoughts on how it affects individual years, eras, and the events within them, but for now I’ll leave you all with this basic outline.

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

John Roth

You might want to read John Xenakis' book on the subject. It's available as a free download from his site: http://generationaldynamics.com/dl/GenerationalDynamicsForecastingAmericasDestiny.pdf .

What he's done is expanded the theory to the rest of the world from the US and England. In doing that, he's had to make a number of corrections to S&H basic theory. He's not an easy read, and a lot of his work in generational theory comes after the book was published.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

KurtisM

I love exploring theories heh.

Interesting interpretation of the generations. It will take some time for me to understand and correlate and validate this stuff, but feel free to DM me if you want to chat about it. Since it's fun!

My understanding of the saeculums/ages, is that they're seeded with the Reactionary Inspiring Generation born in the time of Stability.

But that the Saeculum/Age doesn't really begin until that Generation comes of age at around 21 years old, actually creating the reactionary, rebellious awakenings that disrupt the stable status quo.

Then the Saeculum/Age comes to an end when a new Stabilizing Assimilative Generation comes of age, actually creating the neutralizing, solid global foundations after the crisis/collapse events.

So the Mature Age/Saeculum began in 1961-1981 when the Boomers came of age, and won't end until roughly around 2040 when the Saviors come of age after the Stable Assimilative period that will likely last from 2025-2040 where Virtual Reality and Social/Global Participation may become the status quo, or alternatively a fiery collapse into dystopia that resets and regresses us.

I like how your Support Position framework that repeats every 12 years actually puts the Prophetic Doomsday Year of 2012 with the Enlightenment Position haha. That's also when we moved into the Mature Soul Paradigm completely.

According to your theory, my Birth Year would be the Knowledge Position in the King Generation. But in terms of Coming of Age years that's the Anchor Position of the Scholar Generation. I wonder what the difference would be there?

I'm almost done my 4th IM, so I feel pretty mature at my Waning Saturn Square because of personal choices I made to rip off the bandaids of imprinting and live on my terms. But I don't hit my Saturn Return until 2026, which is a Love Position in the King Generation.

• LIKE/LOVE 1

KurtisM

Also @michael_k, Strauss and Howe have also defined 4 Phases/Stages within the Crisis/Collapse Generation Period: Catalyst, Regeneracy, Climax of Crisis, Resolution. They follow in that order.

So I have hypothesized the possible 4 Phases/Stages in each of the other Generation Periods too which can be read here, but Ill summarize them here too:

REACTIONARY AWAKENING PERIOD

This Period Starts with a DISRUPTION to the stable status quo, caused by an unanticipated variable.

This inspires an active REBELLION against that status quo. Which in turn causes the actual period of AWAKENING among many or all people regarding the themes of the coming Saeculum/Age.

Finally, that causes a phase of FRICTION between people that either feels challenging or pleasurable to the masses. Basically things get shaken up and clash.

DISINTEGRATIVE UNRAVELING PERIOD

I originally said the first phase here was "Fracture" but I'm changing that to POLARIZATION. This is the point at which the agitated turbulent friction causes a division of people into various value camps.

Then there's a FRAGMENTATION of various parts that are separating to do/be their own ways. As these parts separate, a DECONSTRUCTION of institutional stronghouses begins.

So in the end what is left is a period of profound social LIBERATION.

COLLAPSING CRISIS PERIOD

This period starts with the aforementioned CATALYST caused by a systemic blindspot, which inspires people to realize that the previous disintegration has led to a loss of social cohesion and towards an impending unavoidable collapse.

A REGENERACY eventually occurs as people congregate around what they feel will help them through that collapse. Then the actual CRISIS CLIMAX occurs and things settle into a RESOLUTION of either ruin or glory, where people collectively say "we will ensure that will never happen again".

STABILIZING HIGH/PLATEAU PERIOD

I originally said the first phase here was "Model" but I'm changing that to MAGNETIZATION. This is the point at which the resolve of the crisis inspires people to find something they can live by and from: a new model or ideal that works better and is fapr more acceptable.

This ignites an exponential CONSOLIDATION of people around that model idea.

Eventually, the idea is no longer a idea, but a normalized ESTABLISHMENT and way of life that people cannot imagine living without.

People then IMMERSE into that establishment to the point of being totally saturated, attached and even enamored or consumed by it.

This does not end until a new DISRUPTION to the status quo comes yet again, and the cycle renews. 

I chose these terms specifically so that the opposing generations would complement each other.

So... Disruption is antithesis to Catalyst.

Rebellion is antithesis to Regeneracy.

Awakening is antithesis to Crisis.

Friction is antithesis to Resolution.

Polarization is antithesis to Magnetization.

Fragmentation is antithesis to Consolidation.

Deconstruction is antithesis to Establishment.

Liberation is antithesis to Immersion.

As of 2019, we are currently in the REGENERACY PHASE. This was heralded primarily by Brexit and the US Election. As well as the Refugee Crises, Indigenous Protests at Standing Rock, American Shootings, Presidential Impeachments in Brazil and South Korea, North Korean Nuclear Programs, Isis Attacks, Ratification of Paris Climate Agreement from USA and China etc.

It was indeed a Turning Point Year for our parallels.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 2

Eric

I was thinking along the same lines as John Roth. Xenakis isn't an easy read for sure, but he does make corrections to the S&H theory that to me make fair sense. One that came to mind is that he anchors each saeculum at the Crisis mark, such at each new saeculum starts after the crisis point (i.e. the US Civil War or WWII from your examples). Reasoning for this is because the the major changes and psychological impact the crisis has, which creates a defining point between the generations that experienced it and those that were born after. This would likely push your saeculum dates forward about 20 years.

Another is, as John noted, that Xenakis also expanded it work with the rest of the world and had to make some corrections, notably that different regions can be at different points in a saeculum.

There's more than that, but that's what was at the top of my head. It's interesting what insights can be gleaned when time and history are approached in a cyclical rather than purely linear pattern.

• LIKE/LOVE 1

John Roth

Actually, there is a much simpler reason why Xenakais uses the Crisis periods as indexes: most crisis periods have a "Crisis war" in them somewhere, and with a bit of discernment, it's easy to tell the difference between a Crisis war and a political war - at least most of the time.

• LIKE/LOVE 2

michael_k

@John Roth the theory that I'm going to be writing about isn't actually intended to counter S&H's original theory, but compliment it with the perspective of a somewhat different system. I have read some of Xenakis's stuff before, and there may be points where I could compare insights as I develop my own perspective. I intend for my system to be globally relevant, as from what I've compared so far, countries and governments seem to develop in different ways depending on when they are formed and what the global situation is like at the time. It's going to be an interesting exercise in validation, which is why I wanted to start a topic about it.

@KurtisM my idea of the Role-based generations is that the Servers start the changes in society that are defined as the lead up and beginning of the Awakening once they come of age, which correlates to the Civil Rights Era (1954-1965) in the United States, which had a Server-like theme of emphasising common decency to African Americans who were left behind in mainstream US society. Interesting, S&H define this time as the cultural high despite showing early Awakening-like qualities and their theory has actually been called out for this discrepancy. I feel like my definition actually makes more sense of that time.
Next, the Artisans come of age between 1966-1977, and we have the hippies coming up with all these counter-cultural ideas to reconstruct society around a more compassionate, Mature Soul framework within the Mature Soul age. Warriors come of age from 1978-1989, and we see the rise of competitive Neo-liberalism and the conclusion of the Cold War with the fall of the Berlin Wall, thus ending a geopolitical turf war.
Up next is the Scholar generation, coming of age from 1990-2001. This era is marked by theories of the so-called 'End of History', a concept which is broken in 2001 with the 9/11 attacks, thus making room for new knowledge and understanding of global politics and its workings.
Sages mature from 2002-2013, and we find ourselves in an increasingly open society where internet social media takes off and popular TV programs such as South Park, push the envelope of free expression. From 2014 to now we see the Priest generation brought into focus and this has allowed us to reflect on ourselves and what we really believe is right and wrong as a society in the midst of a political crisis.

I'll continue addressing everyone's queries in future posts, probably tomorrow. There's a lot to write about and I should be in bed sleeping right now.

Edited by michael_k
  • LIKE/LOVE 1
  • THANK YOU! 1

michael_k

Incoming text wall. Hope it's not too messily written as I didn't do a lot of proof-reading.

@KurtisM I've had a bit more of a think about the Support Position framework. If my theory has any validity to it, then the year that you are born in will indicate imprinting for the first three or so decades of your life. For example, people born between 1990-2001 will all grow up with a sort of Scholar imprinting, with my birth year, 1991, playing the Knowledge support within that imprinting whereas 1998 would play the Discipline position.
If I use my imagination and experience as to how this may manifest, a lot of people born between 1990-2001 will grow up with an emphasis on observing, learning and knowing things like Scholars do with 1991 borns having more of an emphasis on knowledge for its own purpose and 1998 borns having a focus directed more on the consequences, long-term goals and necessity of learning and turning what may be theories into real knowledge.
In my mind I think of 1991 borns being more like a pre-recession college attending Millennial who learns for the leisure of it instead of directing that learning toward a specific outcome or plan, they would simply build themselves into a bank for the scope of knowledge that is available and may be used at a later date (I can relate to this a lot, actually).
1998 (Discipline year) in contrast feels like more of a late-Millennial / Gen Z college student who is a bit more anxious about where their education is heading in a world with less guarantees for success and a lot of societal problems. They would become knowledgeable for the sake of learning things of worldly importance that could directly help the future, and how to do this would be in mind as they learn and choose what to learn.
If we look at a few other examples, the birth years of Emma Gonzalez (1999) and David Hogg (2000) are the Healer and Enlightenment positions of the Scholar imprinted generation. Even though both have accomplished a lot so far, they are still short of a Saturn Return and are largely reacting to the circumstances that are presented to them, rather than living as a result of their own written path, at least in my interpretation, at this stage.
Those who complete a 4th IM before their Saturn return may go through a similar process, they would simply choose well what is thrown at them and make what they can of that, and by the time the return arrives, they will be in a good position to make full use of it and cruise through it smoothly. Hard to say though as Saturn returns are highly variable circumstance for each individual and are subject to interpretation.
Emma's birth year of Healer is incidentally the year of the Columbine School shooting. This shooting shed light on the wounds of American society and provided unprecedented knowledge on an aspect of it that needed to be healed like nothing before. The Parkland shooting is a reflection of the same issues that made themselves known at Columbine, and Emma is using her power, along with that of her similarly-aged cohort, to bring healing from an angle of Scholarly knowledge and fact over previous theories.
David was born a year later, 2000 being the Enlightenment year of the Scholar birth generation. Y2K brought attention to the framework of the times in which we lived, moving into a new millennium where technology was increasingly becoming an integral part of our lives, complete with all the fear and panic of whether it would all come crashing down on us and leave us further behind than ever. Born from this year, David is is assisting in providing a framework that illuminates our power and political strength from a grassroots level along with his peers, turning previous theories of what we could accomplish as a collective into action and applied knowledge.
Greta Thunberg might be worth a mention as well. She was born from the Sage-imprinted generation (2002-2013), specifically the year 2003, which was a Knowledge year. Her passion is building upon her great knowledge of the affect of humanity on our environment, and she uses this knowledge to speak truths to a wide audience and dispel bullshit on the matter, like an empowered Sage would.
Before Greta became a hot topic, Severn Cullis-Suzuki, who delivered a famous speech at the 1992 Rio summit, was also born in a Knowledge year (1979), this time of the Warrior-imprinted generation. Severn also drew upon knowledge that was being dismissed at the time about the state of humanity, except perhaps one could interpret this as emulating the fighting spirit of the Warrior on this occasion, while perhaps Greta simply lays out the facts in a Sagely way, in an era where there are still so many lies about how we treat our planet. It is important to note that 1992 was a Compassion positioned Scholar year, where theories about our caring for the world were to be blown out by honest knowledge.

Saturn Returns

Saturn returns to a given position within its orbit every 29.5 Earth years. Coming of age in my theoretical Saeculum cycle takes 29 years. Saturn returns, when measured astrologically, are complicated by the fact that Saturn's return to a position in the Earth's sky is what's actually taken note of, instead of the specific orbital return of Saturn, the latter of which always occurring on a predictable schedule while the former is much more variable. If we view Saturn from Earth and measure its position from where we stand, we are taking into account variations in Earth's position around the Sun as well as Saturn's, which can give a range of results in terms of its movement.
When we measure the movement of the planets in the sky and events such as the Saturn Return from Earth, I consider this the tracking of when particular events are going to affects us and be felt in everyday life, in ways that we perceive it. When we perceive an event however, may differ from the timing of when a certain cyclical event actually happens, like Saturn returning to orbit.
Considering this, and considering that my Saeculum theory is one of an organised cyclical pattern, it makes more sense to me to consider a Saturn return to always be 29.5 from birth within the context. That being said, the 'coming of age' in my theory takes only 29 years. I see it this way, if someone is born in March 1991 and subsequently has a Saturn return in September 2020, then 2020 counts as the Saturn return / coming of age year because the year is mostly complete by the time the Return comes. However, if someone is born late in the year, say August 1991 and has the return February 2021, the coming of age year will still be 2020, as the year 2021 is not even half complete by the time the Saturn return comes and is therefore, less influential. This means that a Saturn Return year will always be 29 years from the birth date, as more than six months of a year are needed to be preceding the return for that year to count.

Why is the Saturn Return so Important to Coming of Age?

Saturn and Uranus are like the gatekeepers to the personal, observable astrological world and that which requires a degree of insight through technology, like a telescope, to be revealed. Saturn is the outermost of the personal astrological planets looking over us in the observable sky. It is the key to our personal development and the cycles we go through as individual people. Uranus is a reflection of this, being the innermost of the 'unseen' planets, but Uranus works on a more collective level. Uranus tracks our progress and cycles as a species like Saturn does for us personally, delineating Generational Saeculums like Saturn will measure a Coming of Age for an individual with its return to that person's birth position.
When an age cohort reaches age 29, they shed the imprinting they were born with and begin to demonstrate their true aspects as a group. For example, those born in 1991 will begin as a Knowledge Support of the Scholar Group, but will grow into the Humour Support of the Priest Group in 2020. This could illustrate a group that starts off very keen on learning about everything, and then uses that to develop a sense of lightheartedness for the greater good of society, perhaps rebelling against sternly held, zealous concepts, ideas and groups or simply being a beacon of fun to break an atmosphere of collective misery and despair once they experience the Saturn Return.
1998 borns will reach the Return in 2029, growing into the Knowledge support of a King oriented generation. By this time, the annual cohort which began as disciplined Scholar types may become masters of what knowledge they have attained, and can then work with the rest of the King Generation to bring real change to the world, building on the ideological efforts of Priests in the previous era (the one we're in now, 2014-2025). The King Generation is likely to undergo a process of coming into its own from 2026-2037, and will be made from the cohort born between 1997-2008, those who were originally imprinted as Scholar and Sage generational types.
The second Saturn return, occurring after 59 years of life, is likely to bring reflection to a cohort on who they have been. For 1991 borns like myself, the reflection year will be 2050, an Old Soul oriented, Artisan generation, Love support year. The last Love support year for an Artisan generational era was 1966, when the Hippie movement first started to break out. There may well be a new wind of change and inspiration similar to the 1960s in the mid 21st Century, and 1991 borns may find themselves looking back and feeling increasingly inspired and open to the structure and beauty of their world and life, as the Love support is about love in an unconditional sense, and Artisans are about creation and seeing life as an artform. 1998 borns reach their second Saturn return in 2057, an Anchor support year of the Old Soul Artisan generational era, perhaps similar in ways to the Artisan-Anchor year of 1973. After using their knowledge to create the blueprints for a reconstructed world, the 1998 borns may especially feel at ease in a new creative, authentically expressive world, and there they may find a true sense of home. I don't know though, this stuff is all theoretical and hard to interpret, but there are some interesting correlations to be drawn.

Edited by michael_k
  • LIKE/LOVE 1
  • THANK YOU! 1