On Netflix, from the UK, is a dark comedy with two teenage leads who are both hilarious and poignant in the choices that they make around a situation that goes very very wrong. It takes a few episodes to get to the very

wrong situation. 

The writing, dialogue, scenarios are written very truthfully, with no suspension of gravity or sombreness/humour,

or absurdity. The irony and scene setting is done very expertly, and there is delicious, satisfying access to the main

characters social interactions with each other as well as their frequently conflicting and hypocritical internal dialogue about their friend, which we hear as the audience to the other protagonists frequent ignorance, innocence, peril, creating a great piteous and awkward shitty integrity, comic effect. 

I cannot rate this dramedy highly enough. Alyssa is a hero and James is a hero and together they make some great comedy and suspense. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • THANK YOU! 1
  • 1 year later...
AnnaD

@Evelin that's great! In some parts of this story it seemed too true to be fiction, the main characters reactions to the messes that they were inadvertently creating, and the fallout. It was so tightly written, and packed a lot of resonance into very short time frames but got the pacing of the story right. I can remember being very much like Alyssa when I was younger, and also feeling like James. I really loved both of these characters and their observations no matter how uncouth and basic they were. I grew very fond of both of them. 

Edited by AnnaD
  • LIKE/LOVE 1