Miizle

Weird: Symbolism of a rabbit with one ear up and one ear down

Miizle

When I was younger, i wrote a lot of stuff by hand and doodled and drew free flow. For quite a while, something that kept popping up was a rabbit that had one ear up and one ear down. It seemed kind of significant, although I never knew what it meant. This was approximately 15 years ago.

We have quite a few wild rabbits in our yard these days, and I was thinking about these drawings yesterday or the day before, for one reason or another, as I was looking out the window. I briefly mused on the thought of what Michael would say about it if I asked. I quite quickly put that train of thought to an end, determining it was probably not of any significance at all, just doodles, and I turned to look at a rabbit that was sitting outside quite close to me. And right then, before my eyes, that rabbit steadily lowered his one ear down, while keeping the other one up and stayed that way for a while before hopping away. I've never seen something like that before. What on earth?? Bizarre in the least! Not sure what I should take out of this? It's kind of funny, while kind of intriguing and weird. 

Edited by Miizle
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

John

Hi Miizle!

The "Language of Lagomorphs" has this to say:

A more mild signal of unhappiness (or even some anger) is having one ear facing backward and one forward, or one ear down and one up. These usually indicate a rabbit that is less than happy, but sometimes for only vaguely defined reasons.

Whenever rabbit ears and symbolism crop up in conversation, I'm always reminded of the ancient symbol of Three Hares.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 2