neskinchennyy

Chief Negative Features

neskinchennyy

Has anyone else understood the correlation between Chief Negative Features and Essence Roles?

Janet

Essence Roles are selected at the start of a Grand Cycle and remain the same throughout the Grand Cycle.

Chief Features are selected by individual Personalities sometime in their early years. Chief Features are our methods of trying to protect ourselves from our primary fears, which will be different for every person, regardless of Essence Role. 

Chief Features primarily affect/interact with Goals (primary CF), Modes (secondary CF), and Attitudes (tertiary CF). See Effects of Chief Features.

Essence Roles are defined as being on a specific Axis (Inspiration, Expression, Action, Assimilation) and as either Cardinal (Exalted) or Ordinal or Neutral, and so are Chief Features. See Overleaf Map. For example, both Artisan and Self-Destruction are given as having Ordinal Expression attributes. So there is an "Artisany" flavor to Self-Destruction.

In Michael Speaks: Conscious Connection to Essence (Part 3), Michael says, "The Artisan disconnected from Essence is self-destruction, manifest." So perhaps the flavor of certain Chief Features can be associated with the correlated Essence Role, but I'm an Artisan and do not have this Chief Feature, and I remember no session in which Michael explicitly said that any Personality leans toward any Chief Feature because of Essence Role. It would be interesting to ask Michael if Self-Destruction in an Artisan behaves or appears differently than in, say, a Warrior, simply because of the correlation. 

This workshop session might also be useful to read: OMW: Loving and Being Loved.

• LIKE/LOVE 7

neskinchennyy

Thank you for sharing.

I have been able to come to my own conclusions based on my observations that I would like to share that should hopefully introduce an added flavor.

*Typicalities:

Martyrdom - Warrior

Impatience - King

Self-deprecation - Server

Arrogance - Priest

Self-destruction - Artisan

Greed - Sage

Stubbornness - Scholar

*An Essence Role will typically choose a Chief Feature that is familiar. At least, that is what I have observed.

Chief Features (CF) can be classified in psychological terms as Personality Disorders (PD).

Chief Features:

Martyrdom - Avoidant PD

Impatience - Histrionic PD

Self-deprecation - Dependent PD

Arrogance - Narcissistic PD

Self-destruction - Schizotypal PD

Greed - Paranoid PD

Stubbornness - Schizoid PD

**More than one - Antisocial PD, Borderline PD, and Obsessive-compulsive PD

**I am not positive on this part but it does seem to make sense to me.

Input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Luciana Flora
30 minutes ago, Oksana Deputat said:

Thank you for sharing.

I have been able to come to my own conclusions based on my observations that I would like to share that should hopefully introduce an added flavor.

*Typicalities:

Martyrdom - Warrior

Impatience - King

Self-deprecation - Server

Arrogance - Priest

Self-destruction - Artisan

Greed - Sage

Stubbornness - Scholar

*An Essence Role will typically choose a Chief Feature that is familiar. At least, that is what I have observed.

Chief Features (CF) can be classified in psychological terms as Personality Disorders (PD).

Chief Features:

Martyrdom - Avoidant PD

Impatience - Histrionic PD

Self-deprecation - Dependent PD

Arrogance - Narcissistic PD

Self-destruction - Schizotypal PD

Greed - Paranoid PD

Stubbornness - Schizoid PD

**More than one - Antisocial PD, Borderline PD, and Obsessive-compulsive PD

**I am not positive on this part but it does seem to make sense to me.

Input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I found the correlation interesting.   I would find it interesting to see if Michael would agree...

If I'm not mistaken I read in some channel here that narcissism would be associated with extreme cases of arrogance and self-denial...

In my family there's a great predominance of arrogance... everyone has arrogance as a primary CF... except me... who has double self-deprecating...

In the case of my father and brother it's double arrogance... 

And I've been watching some videos of people who claim that their parents are narcissistic and, to my surprise, I've seen a lot of resemblance to things that happen or happened in my family...

But I don't feel comfortable calling my parents narcissists? because many describe narcissists as people who don't care about anyone? almost as monsters and not as human beings and that's not how I see my parents? 

However due to the predominance of arrogance... and since I think there is a lot of influence of CF in the relationships between my family I think it is possible that there is some narcissistic family structure even though nobody is technically narcissistic... 

As for the correlation between dependent personality and self-deprecating, it makes sense to me... when self-deprecating appears in an obvious way, as is my case.

Because when you're very insecure in your ability it seems to make you feel like you're looking for someone that you consider stronger to help you lead your life... I think I've always had a bit of that.

Edited by Luciana Flora
  • LIKE/LOVE 1

Philip Wittmeyer

In answer to the original post about the meaningful correspondence of Chief Features and Roles:

It has been my understanding since 1981 that the seven aspects of personality referred to as Overleaf categories are related to each other on the Ordinal/Cardinal Axes of Action -- Inspiration -- Expression -- Assimilation as follows:

Goal = Ordinal Action versus Mode = Cardinal Action; Chief Feature = Ordinal Inspiration versus Role = Cardinal Inspiration; Attitude = Ordinal Expression versus Center = Cardinal Expression; Level/Age = Neutral Assimilation.

This pattern has always seemed so intuitively obvious, so self-evident to me, that I am astonished that, so far as I know, no one else has tumbled to this realization over the decades.

Seems to me that this symmetrical pattern of polarities and dimensions on both the horizontal and vertical axes of a typical Overleaf chart is not a coincidence.

Somebody wanna tell me that I am not delusional? It might require some explanation on my part for this to make sense to others, because a fundamental cosmic archetypal pattern was obscured by the way it was instantiated as a human personality typology by the Michaels.

Sometime in the next few months I will be announcing the availability of a book manuscript, A History of the Overleaf Chart, soliciting reviews and comments from members of the Michael Teaching community.

Michèle
2 hours ago, Philip Wittmeyer said:

It might require some explanation on my part for this to make sense to others, because a fundamental cosmic archetypal pattern was obscured by the way it was instantiated as a human personality typology by the Michaels.

Yes, I need some explanation or an example, I don't understand the implication of what you have laid out here. Happy for you to explain using my profile if that's useful.

Philip Wittmeyer

Michele: For a start of an explanation, you might or might not find the attached chapter from the book manuscript, A History of the Overleaf Chart, interesting and informative.

If that chapter does not satisfy you, I could send you a lot more stuff, just ask, here on TLE, or addressed to me directly:  wittmeyer at gmail dot com

My writings are a bit of a slog for most Michael students because I am giving the Michael Teaching the 'academic treatment', comparing and contrasting what different channels have to say, for one thing, and reformulating it from the ground up, for another.

Therefore, what I have to say in my writings will appeal most to the Scholar-ish among us. Give it a try. I have posted some other chapters on TLE; look them up if you are intrigued.

In your case, the Priest Casting and the Arrogance Chief 'Negative' Feature (CNF) are in a configuration that I call "Counterparts".

This means that they reinforce each other because they are on the Cardinal and Ordinal sides of an Inspiration Axis, according to my understanding of the structure and meaning of the Overleaf System.

Generally speaking, one could say that CNF, being Ordinal, operates as a negative Inspiration, and that Role, being Cardinal, functions as a positive Inspiration. Both CNF and Role inspire us toward Essence Contact, CNF being the "stick" and Role being the "carrot".

So, we aspire to move away from CNF and toward Role. I also like to say that the CNF has the 'self-image', the false self image, of the counterpart Role, but without the true 'substance' of the Role itself.

My understanding that CNF and Role are on an Inspiration Axis puts a bit of an additional spin on the function of CNF in personality, but so far as I can see, it does not negate the common views; e.g. that the CNF is a defense mechanism of the Lower Self.

Regarding Oksana's correlation of certain Personality Disorders (PD) with the CNFs, it is my understanding that PDs are often created by childhood abuse, so I can see how a particular PD can result from various types of serious abuse.

It is said in the Michael Teaching that the CNF develops before adulthood as a defense or protecting or coping mechanism; circumstances and situations that are not nearly the intensity as are the adversities that result in a full-blown PD.

Most of us function with a CNF, but we not encumbered with a PD.  It is relatively easy for a person to recognize their CNF, and learn to recognize its lies and then do-feel-think the opposite.

As I understand it, people with PDs are usually oblivious to them, so they are extremely difficult to treat.  HTH

PersonalityTypology.pdf

Michèle

@Philip Wittmeyer Thank you very much for your response and example, I think I caught a glimpse of what you refer to and it caught my interest. I will read this chapter that you kindly shared here with us - however, it will take me some time to read and digest.... I'm a slow cooker 😂

I will look out for the other chapters too. I am not very scholarly, but through my disc Artisan ET influence I get satisfaction when I know and understand how things work.

neskinchennyy

A Personality Disorder (PD) is not a disorder at all. It is simply a defense mechanism. And is not always being embodied. As a Scholar, I am afraid of change. But I do not embody Schizoid PD unless my fear is threatened.