AnnH

Chicago, IL USA March 16

AnnH

It's been kind of a ghost town here in Chicago. I live right downtown and there's very little traffic and foot traffic.

Classes at my college are on hold until April 6 and then we're supposed to go completely online. We're supposed to have our teaching plans in place by March 23.  Yeah, that'll work.

This feels oddly familiar and creepy. It's not as if all of us haven't been through plagues before (and died from them). I have a feeling I had this illness in mid-January. Started like a cold/sinusitis with extreme fatigue, then morphed into an unproductive cough and pretty significant shortness of breath. No appetite and very thirsty. When I was able to crawl to Urgent Care across the street, after stopping like 3 or 4 times to catch my breath, I was tested for flu. It came back negative. No pneumonia shown via x-ray. My blood oxygen levels were low, so they put me on a nebulizer. Man, what a difference that made! I could tell the doctor was thinking about admitting me to the hospital if they couldn't get my oxygen levels up. I got an inhaler and used it faithfully. I was sick for 3 weeks.

I've read from other online (anecdotal only) sources, that there are other people out there who think they've had it. Time will tell.

Here's my attitude about online classes for many of us at my college:

Screenshot 2020-03-16 12.15.12.png

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 1
  • LOL 8
  • WHAT/WOW! 2

Juni

I"m wondering too, because my symptoms were very similar to this mid/late February (before this was common knowledge), except a massive headache as well as blocked sinuses but mild fever if any. Also I had to pee a ton, and it seemed like it was more than I was drinking so I'd keep waking up super dehydrated.  No appetite either, I could barely stand up, too exhausted.
I got somewhat breathless about 3 days in, but I have asthma so I didn't know if this was something to worry about more than normal.  I also woke myself up with my own wheezing. Dry cough started after 5 days of it, plateaued and then got worse again as the cough got disgustingly productive.  It's lingering.
I went to the doc right as the cough hit and she said to make sure to keep using the inhaler as it could help keep things from morphing into pneumonia. It helps a lot.
Because asthma, I already have inhalers around all the time and I've been using mine daily, sometimes more than once.
Tests can't be had for love or money,  so I might never know.  No flu test either, maybe because I'd had my flu shot?

• LIKE/LOVE 12

AnnH
On 3/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, Juni said:

I"m wondering too, because my symptoms were very similar to this mid/late February (before this was common knowledge), except a massive headache as well as blocked sinuses but mild fever if any. Also I had to pee a ton, and it seemed like it was more than I was drinking so I'd keep waking up super dehydrated.  No appetite either, I could barely stand up, too exhausted.
I got somewhat breathless about 3 days in, but I have asthma so I didn't know if this was something to worry about more than normal.  I also woke myself up with my own wheezing. Dry cough started after 5 days of it, plateaued and then got worse again as the cough got disgustingly productive.  It's lingering.
I went to the doc right as the cough hit and she said to make sure to keep using the inhaler as it could help keep things from morphing into pneumonia. It helps a lot.
Because asthma, I already have inhalers around all the time and I've been using mine daily, sometimes more than once.
Tests can't be had for love or money,  so I might never know.  No flu test either, maybe because I'd had my flu shot?

That sounds a lot like the symptoms people have reported, especially the headache part. I didn't have a headache. But there are so many viruses doing their best to replicate, it's hard to know.

• LIKE/LOVE 7

Evelin

I checked and yeah, I had either The Bug or a very similar viral pneumonia bug early December 2019. Woke up with a dry cough, was exhausted, the nurse who listened to my lungs got very worried, said it sounded like a viral pneumonia that was going around, sent me to an X-ray (showed nothing) and for a blood test (also showed nothing). Yet I was exhausted for a week and kept coughing for two weeks I think. No real fever as I recall, but then my immune system has been so down after divorce that I haven't had a proper fever for 2 years.

I did have a small fever, headache, muscle aches and watery eyes this time. But it's too early for me to report, I've only had this bug for 5 days and apparently the bad symptoms only start the second week! Good thing I have popcorn! 😄 Sorry to joke about this, but I'm a doctor's daughter and gallows humor works for me...

*UPDATE on June 28th: according to the quick test (which apparently isn't always accurate) I don't have the COVID-19 antibodies. I could pay for a better test just to know, but as far as I know, the antibodies don't protect me from getting it again, so no point.

Edited by Evelin
  • LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 2
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

ihynz

Hey Ann! If we survive, we should meet sometime. I live in the Chicago burbs and work downtown.

• LIKE/LOVE 4

ihynz

Illinois is "re-opening" on June 1st, so it's back to riding the train downtown ... I hope this state is ready for the crazy infection rate that comes next. 😞

• SAD 5