NickF

USA, California, Ventura

NickF

Our governor, Gavin Newsom made an order yesterday which addressed the necessity of people’s movements. He instructed our state’s 40 million people to stay at home. It seems necessary from the rate the disease is spreading here.  So all “non-essential” outdoor movements are not allowed. Essential workers such as health care, fire and police are exempt.  The order allows people to continue to visit gas stations, pharmacies, grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, takeout and delivery restaurants, banks and laundromats. People can leave their homes to care for a relative or a friend or seek healthcare services. People can also still leave their homes for walks and exercise. Stores have limited times they are open. They appear to be very aware to keep only so many people in the store at one time. Workers at the stores are continually sanitizing everything. There is no handling of cash in places. Many restaurants are closed but allow people to order food to be delivered. 

The governor said infection rates are doubling every four days in some parts of the state and said that 56% of California’s population could contract the virus over the next eight weeks. With all of this, the fear level has increased on our local news outlets. They also talk about the economic side to this and the state is looking to shift money to needed things.  That would be things like set up state-run and mobile hospitals. They want to also address housing options for those in need. Particularly all the people now out of work. The state wants testing and treatment for people without health insurance. This is a good state that, in times of community crisis, seems to step up well. I love living here. So this is a snapshot of the current state of life in California. I thought I’d share with you some of what is happening here. 

Edited by NickF
  • LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 5

petra

@NickF   I have a parallel walking the beaches of the pacific ocean in California, latitude around 32, I just made this up, but I like it!

Thanks for posting, California will take care of their own to the best of its abilities, its a great mingling of peoples.

Take good care my long-time friend !!!

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • THANK YOU! 1

Deb

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. I believe that was such a wise move on the part of Governor Newsom!  I have been carefully monitoring California as well ( a great resource which I get daily thru email and it is free is : California Today.  It is published by the NY Times.!) I believe you live in Ventura, right?!   I am an ex Santa Barbarian.  My only daughter and family still live there  and I am trying to put something in place (like long, long term pet/house sitting-- I was able to last summer) where I can be there more and more as the weather in NM doesn't work for me.  In fact, I just came back from a two week visit and during that time my son in law was in New Zealand and daughter in Cabo.  So, we were all exposed.  The kids are showing no symptoms but I have been down and out with a dry cough, chills, sneezing and now a very, very sore throat but no fever.  I am sure I will be fine and obviously I am not out and about.

Edited by Deb
  • LIKE/LOVE 6

NickF

@Deb Santa Barbara is beautiful. I’m next door in Ventura. Governor Newson has been on top of this and I think he is doing all he can. Sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon and can get whatever health care you may need to. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Deb

Thanks, Jack for your kind words.  May you, your friends, and family stay well! Blessings Deb

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Jeroen

I think that is a very good move to have California's people stay home to reduce the spread of the virus. I think it is beneficial too that people still have the option to go our for the essentials of living like groceries and medical supplies, to care for a friend or relative, and having the ability to walk. Having the option to walk and reconnect with nature can be good for ones health and immune system as long as social distancing is maintained.

Thank you for the update. I hope that you and your family are able to stay healthy and safe.

• LIKE/LOVE 5

NickF

The data collector Unacast created an interactive map giving states and counties a score on their social distancing initiatives at the local level. The company scored each state individually by their change in average mobility, based on distance traveled. 

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU! 4

NickF

News from here in California: the federal government sent our state 170 broken ventilators. 🙄 

Our governor, Gavin Newsom, has sent them to be repaired in the Silicon Valley.

Meanwhile, cases are soaring here as hospitals are filling up. 

• THANK YOU! 1
  • SAD 6