Ibram Kendi on "How to build an antiracist world"

Tyrone

Randomly clicking around the internet, I happened upon this TED talk that I thought was pretty comprehensive.  While not literally being #BlackLivesMatter content, I feel it fits in this forum.

In it, Ibram Kendi talks a lot about the term and idea of being "anti-racist", distinguishing it from the idea of calling oneself "not-racist", as the latter can be an easy gateway into ignoring situational responsibility and self-awareness.  Anti-racism puts an emphasis on the need to be honest and employ responsible actions and choices and not to simply say "oh, I'm this kind of person, so I don't really have to consider more".   In the answers he gives to the hosts' questions, he covers the roles of a wide variety of people in our community task of ending systemic racism. 

https://www.ted.com/talks/ibram_x_kendi_how_to_build_an_antiracist_world/

• LIKE/LOVE 5
  • THANK YOU! 4
Leela Corman

He's a national treasure. I love his formulation of "anti-racist" rather than "not racist", for so many reasons. For one, it makes us more accountable and liberates us from being defensive, because it opens the way to interrogating our conditioning under white supremacy. Thanks for posting this, I'll listen.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
Patty

I read "How to be an Anti Racist" when we first started shelter in place. It is highly engaging and the message is clear: if you aren't actively combatting racism, then you are contributing to it. Complacency and an interest in keeping systems within the status quo is racist.

Not everyone in my circles have read the book, but Ibram Kendi's words have really enriched our conversations about current events all the same. Thanks for posting the TED talk! 

Edited by Patty
  • LIKE/LOVE 4
KurtisM

Wow @Tyrone what a profound Ted Talk. I understand the difference between not racist and anti racist much better now, and can checkup on my resistances and slights whenever encountering the projection and indignation of poc, as well as the genuine calls for equality and care.

I resonated much with the bit at the end where Ibram talks about the fuel behind these protests and behind anti-racism being LOVE. Which fits in elegantly with my thoughts that we may be forming an actual Love Timeline.

• LIKE/LOVE 3
KurtisM

Johanne sent me this transcript a few months ago that feels profoundly right in the context of what's discussed in this video and in our collective moments now, so I'm posting it here for anyone to read and integrate.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
NickF

Thanks for sharing this talk @Tyrone  I first saw him on Democracy Now! a few weeks ago, His talk with Amy Goodman got me to read How To Be An Antiracist.  It is a great book which I hope many people read. Thanks again.

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • 2 months later...
Cheryl Varner

I've seen him on TV but looking forwarding to listening to his TED talk...

• LIKE/LOVE 1