Meg

Revisiting White Fragility

Meg

I was having some good conversations with folks just now about "virtue signaling" and "performative allyship" as well as replacing the terminology of "white fragility" with "white immunity," and I decided to revisit the classic article by Robin DiAngelo (before the book WF, even), sit with it a bit.  Wow, 🔥 . So good, still.  I'm grateful to Troy for opening this space  around understanding race, justice and white supremacy in connection to "spirituality" (or whatever TLE means to you, I have no idea), while creating a structure for community and possibly even meaningful activism. It's been a long time coming, thanks. (Serious question: where do we even begin to decolonize our worlds right here?  Appropriation and consumption of Others' cultures and heritage, such as in our "borrowed" terminology?  The fundamental idea of "the individual" [hello, theosophy!] as the locus of "personal growth"? Un-erasing the inheritances of Blackamerican esotericisms?)  Meanwhile -- isn't this article from 2011 still just 🔥🔥??  I disagree with friends who are saying WF is somehow now an old-school concept in anti-racism work (I was hearing this from white people and also POC just now), or that "we" somehow got "beyond" its relevance, how about you? 

Enjoy, for 2020!  🔥🔥🔥  https://libjournal.uncg.edu/ijcp/article/viewFile/249/116

Edited by Meg
clarity
  • LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU! 1

Meg

I just came across this quick read from DiAngelo in 2015 (she has a lot of FREE stuff online), breaking down patterns and behaviors really well:

https://robindiangelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/White_Fragility_And_Feedback.pdf

Some other recent books that I know folks are getting a lot out of taking in now are these, a couple of them just out in 2020:

Ijeoma Oluo, So You Want To Talk About Race;
Layla F Saad, Me and White Supremacy;
Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, Racism Without Racists; and,
Carol Anderson's White Rage

• THANK YOU! 1