AnnaD

I am not a Star Trek fan. It always took itself waay too seriously for me. And I couldn't take Star Trek seriously.

Although I may have changed my mind about it considering that Galaxy Quest is one of the best "Star Trek" movies

as voted by Star Trek fans even though it is not a Star Trek movie officially. 

I remember watching Galaxy Quest when it first came out, and I was going out with this serious fan of Star Trek 

who looked down their nose at Galaxy Quest, which I loved. I loved everything - Tim the Toolman Taylor as Jason

Nesmith who played Commander Peter Quincy Taggart, whose career had stalled and only turned up to Galaxy Quest fan conventions, he had a way of believing in the Thermians and wanting to help them, and being more capable of being the butt of a joke than Captain Kirk ever could have been. Commander Taggart was "just an actor who pretended at playing a space superhero." 

Along come the Thermians, Aliens who have had a hard time with being beaten up and bullied by another group of Aliens who are mean and cynical. The Thermians are innocent, acquiescent peaceful and intelligent. They think the TV show Galaxy Quest were historical records and ask Commander Peter Quincy Taggart if he and his Galaxy Quest team can help the Thermians reach a treaty with the mean aliens. Initially Taggart thinks he is hungover when first approached by the Thermians for help, but he then realises he actually has been teleported onto their spaceship to get a first hand look at their main war problems. When the Thermians drop Taggart back to earth (L.A.), he turns up late and hungover looking to the Galaxy Quest fan convention and explains to his excuse weary colleagues why he is late, saying he was abducted by the Thermians who want Galaxy Quest's universally renowned peacemaking strategies and expertise so that the mean aliens will leave the Thermians alone. Then the entire Galaxy Quest crew is teleported to the Thermians spaceship and they begin to realise that Taggart was not exaggerating nor making it up. 

The comic tension between the innocence and trust of the Thermians of Taggart and his crew of acting colleagues placed in a real scenario of galactic warfare and the large gap between the Thermians expectations of Galaxy Quest and the what Galaxy Quest CAN do, is revealed in many hilarious moments. 

This is one of my favourite movies, I love all of these actors and their chemistry. Apparently Alan Rickman was initially a bit dubious about Tim Allen playing the Cpt Kirk figure, and you see the energy between Tim Allen and Allen Rickman and it is a treat of tension and tightrope - acceptance and discrimination. 

I recently saw the documentary made in 2019 called Galaxy Quest, Never Surrender, and it made me laugh again and cry. Both the film and the documentary approached Galaxy Quest as a fond tribute to Star Trek, and its mission of galactic peace and exploration as worthwhile and wonderful. These sentiments come through in both film and documentary. It is a film I will watch again. I have already watched it about 5 times. Let me know what you make of it, I am curious. 

• LIKE/LOVE 7
  • THANK YOU! 1

Galaxy Quest is one of my all-time favorites too. I've watched it at least a dozen times.  As for Star Trek, I've seen each show many times over plus have the fan magazine, scores of paperback books, blueprints of the ships, a model of Deep Space Nine, all the episodes and movies on DVD, and been to one of the conventions in Minneapolis.   I almost named a dog Horta. 

• LIKE/LOVE 7

"By Grabthar's Hammer.......... What a savings...."

The amount of self loathing and complete how the hell did I end up here feeling Alan Rickman puts in that one line gets me every time. I watched this movie as a kid a bunch although I never grew up with Star Trek. Picked up the nuances now as an adult but man the movie is just awesome!

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1
AnnaD

@Colleen, was Star Trek ever so funny as Galaxy Quest? I am guessing that it didn't cater to humour so much, but that the other premises for the show were to the fans simply more fascinating and integral, themes such as galactic exploration and alien civilisations. 

I think one of my favourite parts of Galaxy Quest (I have many), is when Captain Taggart is telling everything to Mathesar, it brings tears to me watching Tim Allen (who I am guessing is a Sage) say that the show is in fact "pretend", there is something about Tim Allen saying that, without avoiding the disappointment that he knows his words will have on Mathesar, that looks quite awkward for Tim Allen to admit to. There are levels of unvarnished truth at play there for Tim Allen which are referred to in the documentary "Never Surrender - a Galaxy Quest documentary". It is wonderful to see. 

My other favourite part is Sam Rockwell's character development, going from the guy who wants to be a part of the team but who wants to go home once he realises he is on the Thermian spaceship for real and that there is no getting off of it. Sam Rockwell is one of my very favourite actors and this is the movie that made him my favourite. The part where he asks, his voice rising in panic at his utter insignificance to the plot of Galaxy Quest "What is my last name, I don't even have a last name!" is one of the best comic set ups ever.

Sigourney Weaver playing Tawny Madison is a revelation, she makes Tawny bristling with determination, capable of being an excellent comic foil to Capt Taggarts, "Well F*** this!" "Why do these shows always have ridiculous jaws of death scenarios?" she is so funny. 

@NickG, Alan Rickman playing Dr Lazarus is hilarious. He is one of my main reasons for watching this show. His baleful exasperated gazes, his eyerolls, and in the documentary you get to hear more of the interesting dynamic he had with Tim Allen. 

They were going to make another Galaxy Quest movie when Alan Rickman died. So sad he is no longer here. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
Mike Cleverly

One of my all time favourite films. I could watch it again and again. Look out for Dwight from the Office as a Thermian. So many things to love about it. I heard rumours of a TV series in the making... that stalled though.

• LIKE/LOVE 3
AnnaD

Yeah Dwight from the Office. He is still Dwight, just being himself as the actor Rainn someone, he is instantly recognisable. It is so well written, written from a place of love respect and enjoyment and that comes through in the movie so much.

• LIKE/LOVE 1