Belief systems

Jean-François Lozevis

Jean-François Lozevis

Belief systems love to tell they are not belief systems but THE truth. I mean nothing wrong on their beliefs and many beliefs are important for living. But ultimately we can not prove anything: God could have created the world 5 minutes ago. We can be sure only of the present moment.

Jean-François Lozevis

Science: OK till there is a big change of paradigm. Even the "hardest" (I don't know if it's the right term in English) science, mathematics has its own problems. Are mathematical objects "real" or are they only pure invention? Noone can say. Moreover they are limited by Godel's theorems: there are truths that a mathematical system can not prove and ultimately there will always be truths that will escape the axiom system of a theory, one of these truths is the validity of the theory itself, if it's contradictory or not.

For physics, the science tells maybe only the information we get on the world, and maybe is not the reality itself.

Science is only the map of the reality, not the reality itself and a map can have holes and errors.

Sure.  I'm cool with empiricism tho, just sayin.  Life is rarely coming at you as a a string of quantum particles or the ticking tape of (Gödel's) Turing machine lolz -- and if it is dude, then DUCK, NOW 😀!   There are in fact many ways to be certain in regard to knowledge, I think. 

Relativism is a  fallacy that's easily disproven, like as in Intro Phil (or US politics ha!), dontcha think?  Have a great day! 

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • ARTISAN

Nothing wrong with trying to live in the present moment. I'm coming to believe that the pandemic is helping us learn to do this. 

2 hours ago, Jean-François Lozevis said:

For physics, the science tells maybe only the information we get on the world, and maybe is not the reality itself.

From this comment, I rather think you'd like Seth, who says something along the lines of science not being able to get things right because it focuses only on the physical world and discounts some non-physical things that actually might make the science work. I'm stating that really loosely, but hopefully enough to whet your interest if you are not already a Seth student. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4

M always has their trusty old Three Levels of Truth.  A very good place to start with intro. epistemology here from the TLE perspective, probably? Academic philosophy of science is indeed a bit outside of the wheelhouse maybe I guess. Is "Seth" then the go-to guy for this?  Sure, could be 😀

Edited by Meg
  • LIKE/LOVE 1