BLACK HISTORY MONTH and TLE

• HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
Troy

BHM.jpgThis is Black History Month, but this community knows:

Black Lives Matter EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Though we should celebrate, respect, and uplift Black lives throughout the year, let's take this designated month to explore and emphasize and celebrate our historic figures in history and also uplift our fellow Michael Students. Though we need to lift Black lives every day, Black History Month is a way to focus on education and celebration and we are going to do our best. I am a cis-gender gay white male, so I will always be learning how better to bring Black History Month into focus on TLE, so I am open to any constructive feedback!

This is not a token event or and it is not pandering or something important that will fade from our minds after February. This community is dedicated to full-on celebration and education and safe exchanges regarding any and all marginalized groups, which means sometimes taking out a month here and there to make a group a primary focus.

Learning about each other and understanding our history is 100% compatible with The Michael Teachings. We are adding TO The Michael Teachings by bringing our focus to certain groups of people. 

WHAT CAN WE DO HERE?
Based on common sense and a bit of research, I would like to have this thread focus on the community sharing anything that teaches us about Black culture and/or celebrates Black voices and contributions now and in the past. Please share links, videos, showcase an article, promote a book, film, bring an historic figure to light, anything... Below are some ideas for ALL members:

• Share favorite Black Content Creators from any social media
  • Link us to any Black Creator Spotlights and Interviews 
  • Point us to Black History Lessons and Facts
  • Amplify Black Voices by sharing their voices with more people in your social circle outside of this group
  • Quote Posts from anywhere Black voices you can help more people to hear
  • Advocate for Change by listing Black-owned businesses and charities that help the Black Community
  • Keep the focus of your post on Black lives, especially if you are White

BLACK MEMBERS of TLE
If you are a Black member of TLE, please post or say anything that is important for you to say or share, but you do not have to do the work of educating anyone or answer any questions or be anything more than a respected and loved member of this community. I want this space to be where your voice can be heard, but also a space where you can sit back and relax and see that people are learning to be better. That's what I hope for us to be. Just... better for each other.

NOTE: I will monitor this thread carefully for any posts that may need some guidance, but feel free to report any post that is questionable. If you have any questions you would like for me to pose to Michael, please feel free to post them here for me to have on hand for when I can ask.

• LIKE/LOVE 16
  • THANK YOU! 5
Troy

SOULTIME with BABY LOVE

Our wonderful and loved community member @Nick Sweeney (Babylove) has launched an entertaining, educational, and metaphysical channel on YouTube! Go like and subscribe to his videos, please! You are in for a treat!

ABOUT:
Spiritual comedy entertainment! Or your Cosmic Mama Bear might say "Enlightenment and entertainment, yes, huney!" Babylove has been a professional spiritual healer and counselor (astrologer, reiki healer, and intuitive) for over fifteen years, and this is her way of sharing insight and guidance with humor. In her episodes, she invites you to ground and center into soul-time, right here and right now, through song, tarot card readings, astrological insights, and reiki distant healing meditations. She invites you to feel, to laugh, to cry, to heal, and to celebrate your miraculous self.

• LIKE/LOVE 18
  • THANK YOU! 1
petra

I posted PAULI MURRAY already in category World Events, she definitely belongs here too!!!

• LIKE/LOVE 5
Christian

Savage Books is a you tube channel I follow.  I didn't know the creator was black until he stated a second channel called Savage Speaks and show his face.

I have learned much about story and even picked up the book Story that he references in several videos 

Give it a listen.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
Christian

Button Poetry is a publisher with a YouTube channel.

They focus on spoken word poetry most often.

They have a wide variety of poets.

This one I found fun.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
Christian

Black Red Guard is a Maoist communist in Ferguson, MO about 30 mins from my house.

He is unapologetic in his analysis and commentary. I find myself uncomfortable listening to him. Partly because of the above and partly because he is very frank in stating he doesn't see a way forward together and the colonizers need to be separated from everyone else.

However, he also preaches community organization and mutual aid and unlike most white leftists actually participates and is on the ground working in communities.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCpYZYH_1VTB9q8Leg0TrROA

• LIKE/LOVE 2
Christian

T1J is another great black youtuber.

He talks much about racism and bias. He is very laid back in his presentation and easy to listen to.

This video explained to me something I had never thought about before as mid-western white dude.

• LIKE/LOVE 3
Eric

Since I've followed things about foraging before, last year Facebook brought Alexis Nikole, aka Black Forager, into my suggested videos and I love her work so much! She makes little videos and posts showing and talking about plants you can forage for food (she's in the midwest or northeast, but you can find a lot of the plants elsewhere too) and sometimes how to prepare them, and she has such energy and knowledge and singing and I just enjoy watching her so much. Below is her tiktok where her videos originate from, and her Facebook page.

https://www.tiktok.com/@alexisnikole?lang=en
https://www.facebook.com/blackforager

These are some of the first vids I saw of hers that got me hooked. I'd already heard about how to make acorn flour, but it was nice to see it being done in practice. Also sassafras song (they were combine in the same vid on FB)

Edited by Eric
  • LIKE/LOVE 3
  • LOL 3
Stickyflames
7 hours ago, Eric said:

Since I've followed things about foraging before, last year Facebook brought Alexis Nikole, aka Black Forager, into my suggested videos and I love her work so much! She makes little videos and posts showing and talking about plants you can forage for food (she's in the midwest or northeast, but you can find a lot of the plants elsewhere too) and sometimes how to prepare them, and she has such energy and knowledge and singing and I just enjoy watching her so much. Below is her tiktok where her videos originate from, and her Facebook page.

https://www.tiktok.com/@alexisnikole?lang=en
https://www.facebook.com/blackforager

These are some of the first vids I saw of hers that got me hooked. I'd already heard about how to make acorn flour, but it was nice to see it being done in practice. Also sassafras song (they were combine in the same vid on FB)

Awe i love alexis nikole. Been Following her for awhile. I love how excited she gets by little nature finds

Edited by Stickyflames
  • LIKE/LOVE 3
Troy

THE MORE YOU KNOW

MISOGYNOIR - Moya Bailey, an assistant professor of cultures, societies, and global studies and women's, gender, and sexuality studies at Northeastern University, coined the term misogynoir in 2008 to describe such contempt. The history of misogynoir in the United States stretches back centuries, says Bailey.

"It's such a specific denigration of black women, not other women of color, not black men," says Bailey. "So I started to think about that and landed on misogynoir as a way to talk about anti-blackness and misogyny that black women experience simultaneously."

Learn more HERE

• LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU! 3
Troy

VIRTUE SIGNALING - If you have never heard the phrase “virtue signaling,” it basically means showcasing our goodness without really making any difference. I know we won’t mean to do that with this thread, but let’s make sure we don’t. 

We want to follow these links, subscribe to these creators, listen to these voices, and learn. We want to bring what we learn into our daily lives so we have the confidence and clarity to call out issues if we see them in our friends and family, explain issues with no hesitation, and maybe help yet another person move with mindfulness. We also want to know and support more entertainers and content creators and artists whom we might never know because media does not hype them enough. 

I want threads like this to help us help each other however we can in the real world. 

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 1
ckaricai

Black anime characters. There aren't enough black characters in anime so when they do show up we get excited. I've seen the most black characters in Naruto Shippuden. Mito from Food Wars and Piccolo from Dragonball Z aren't black so I'm not sure why they are in this gallery. Ussop from One Piece is supposed to be mixed race which is why he has kinky hair. Shows represented in these pics: Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Michico & Hatchin, Bleach, One Punch Man, Dragonball Z, Carole & Tuesday, Fire Force, Durarara, Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, Afro Samurai, Cowboy Bebop, Avatar: The Last Airbender (the water benders are based on indigenous culture, so also not sure why she's on this list).  I might be missing some shows because I don't recognize every character. 

black anime characters4.jpg

black anime characters3.jpg

black anime characters2.jpg

black anime characters1.jpg

black anime characters9.jpg

black anime characters8.jpg

black anime characters7.jpg

black anime characters6.jpg

black anime characters5.jpg

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 9
Zahra

3 minutes ago, ckaricai said:

Black anime characters

Minor Spoil!

There's going to be a black character in Attack on Titan as well, starting next week 🙂

image.png

• LIKE/LOVE 6
ckaricai
1 minute ago, Zahra said:

Minor Spoil!

There's going to be a black character in Attack on Titan as well, starting next week 🙂

image.png

I noticed that and I got excited. But I was also confused because over three seasons there weren't any black characters in Paradis so where the heck did this guy come from. I also just picked up the manga from Vol 22 just to find out what happens. The suspense is killing me. LOL I love this show. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4
ckaricai

Black sci-fi writers. I've read some of these and excited to read the ones I haven't.  I couldn't get into Dahlgren, which I felt meandered a bit. I never finished it. But Samuel Delaney has written some other good books like Driftglass.

https://theportalist.com/black-science-fiction-and-fantasy-authors?fbclid=IwAR1qj7Cv9aqWhQEP986yjzWV2pzeUcspf0UrMm5ZB3WWLcuz8enalTST994

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • THANK YOU! 3
Evelin
18 hours ago, ckaricai said:

Black sci-fi writers. I've read some of these and excited to read the ones I haven't.  I couldn't get into Dahlgren, which I felt meandered a bit. I never finished it. But Samuel Delaney has written some other good books like Driftglass.

https://theportalist.com/black-science-fiction-and-fantasy-authors?fbclid=IwAR1qj7Cv9aqWhQEP986yjzWV2pzeUcspf0UrMm5ZB3WWLcuz8enalTST994

Oh, such a ((thank you)) for that list! I'm still re-reading N. K. Jemisin, her work has such richness and depth, but was looking for new sci-fi authors to enjoy.

• LIKE/LOVE 3
Becca the Student
1 hour ago, Evelin said:

Oh, such a ((thank you)) for that list! I'm still re-reading N. K. Jemisin, her work has such richness and depth, but was looking for new sci-fi authors to enjoy.

I f'in love love love N. K. Jemisin. She has such a stark, no-nonsense writing style, and makes such bold narrative choices (she popularized the current second-person POV trend in modern sci-fi novels with Broken Earth). I think she's one of my favorite authors when it comes to writing about pain: she presents it so stark and unvarnished, without extraneous embellishment, and punches me in the gut every single time.

Also I just admire her as a person. 😛

If you like Jemisin and haven't checked out Octavia Butler, I highly recommend checking her work out (the Parable of the Sower trilogy is painful and scarily accurate to our present moment). I see it's the first book on the list @ckaricai shared. Also thanking you for that list, btw! Besides Nnedi Okorafor, Marlon James, and Tomi Adeyemi, I hadn't heard of the rest of these authors, and I'm excited to check them out.

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU! 2
ckaricai

@Becca the Student I liked Binti by Nnedi Okorafor. I have the sequel in my reading list. Have you read Rosewater by Tade Thompson? I’m in the middle of it. So far it’s interesting. I think it would make a great tv show. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4
Becca the Student
22 hours ago, ckaricai said:

@Becca the Student I liked Binti by Nnedi Okorafor. I have the sequel in my reading list. Have you read Rosewater by Tade Thompson? I’m in the middle of it. So far it’s interesting. I think it would make a great tv show. 

I haven't yet, no! I actually hadn't heard of it until I saw it on the list of black authors you shared, which surprises me because reading the book jacket summary it seems like it'd be right up my alley. I love hardcore sci-fi intrigue. I'm knee-deep in This is How You Lose The Time War right now, and while I'm enjoying it, I was expecting more spy shenanigans and mystery, so I'm itching to read something with a little more thriller/noir in it.

Edited by Becca the Student
  • LIKE/LOVE 1