Jump to content

BLACK HISTORY MONTH and TLE


Recommended Posts

Christian
On 2/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, ckaricai said:

I liked Binti by Nnedi Okorafor.

I am reading this one now. It is awesome and deserves all thw praise.

 

I tried reading N K Jemisin's Broken World series.  It started with the 5th season. I am not sure if it was because it was audio book or not but I couldn't get into it.  The second person narration was throwing me off.

 

However,  The City We Became is freaking awesome.  It takes place in NYC and the five boroughs each have an avatar that has the power of that borough.  And they have to band together to fight off an inter-dimensional city eating lovecraftian horror.  Other cities like London, Paris, Rome, etc have been dealing with this for centuries.  But NYC is new and this is the first time they have dealt with it.

 

It is very good.

 

 

  • LIKE/LOVE 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
ckaricai
1 hour ago, Christian said:

I am reading this one now. It is awesome and deserves all thw praise.

 

I tried reading N K Jemisin's Broken World series.  It started with the 5th season. I am not sure if it was because it was audio book or not but I couldn't get into it.  The second person narration was throwing me off.

 

However,  The City We Became is freaking awesome.  It takes place in NYC and the five boroughs each have an avatar that has the power of that borough.  And they have to band together to fight off an inter-dimensional city eating lovecraftian horror.  Other cities like London, Paris, Rome, etc have been dealing with this for centuries.  But NYC is new and this is the first time they have dealt with it.

 

It is very good.

 

 

 

The second person narration didn't bother me at all. That's such a great story. There are time jumps that go back and forth between the past and the present. Sorry you couldn't get into it. I was hooked immediately. Her other trilogy is the Inheritance Trilogy. I haven't started that one yet. The City We Became is also in my audible list and I haven't started that one yet either. I'll probably start one of these once I'm caught up on all my podcasts.  

  • LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kasia
On 2/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, ckaricai said:

Black sci-fi writers. I've read some of these and excited to read the ones I haven't.  I couldn't get into Dahlgren, which I felt meandered a bit. I never finished it. But Samuel Delaney has written some other good books like Driftglass.

https://theportalist.com/black-science-fiction-and-fantasy-authors?fbclid=IwAR1qj7Cv9aqWhQEP986yjzWV2pzeUcspf0UrMm5ZB3WWLcuz8enalTST994

 

Thank you @ckaricai for bringing these amazing authors to light. I'd happily read a grocery list by N. K. Jemisin (her Inheritance trilogy tops my list of favorite books) and I just finished Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower, which was so impactful it inspired my recent POF about Capitalism. A few of these authors/books are already on my reading list, and I can't wait to add more.

  • LIKE/LOVE 3
  • THANK YOU! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Evelin
16 minutes ago, Kasia said:

I'd happily read a grocery list by N. K. Jemisin (her Inheritance trilogy tops my list of favorite books)


Oh, I’d happily sign your beautiful statement! Except I could never choose between her trilogies...

  • LIKE/LOVE 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
ckaricai
27 minutes ago, Kasia said:

 

Thank you @ckaricai for bringing these amazing authors to light. I'd happily read a grocery list by N. K. Jemisin (her Inheritance trilogy tops my list of favorite books) and I just finished Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower, which was so impactful it inspired my recent POF about Capitalism. A few of these authors/books are already on my reading list, and I can't wait to add more.

 

I don't think I mentioned it but there is a sci-fi anthology magazine called Anathema. The stories are all written by POC and/or LGBTQ writers. http://www.anathemamag.com/ and there's also Octavia's Brood which is also a sci-fi anthology of POC writers. 

  • LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogi

... I wanted One Moment In Time...

#Whitney Houston.

 

 

...and I was Feeling Good...

#Nina Simone

 

 

... but then I realized I am a Sinnerman...

#Nina Simone

 

 

...and I Put A Spell On You...

#Nina Simone

 

 

 

#appreciating good music past and present.

  • LIKE/LOVE 2
  • THANK YOU! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Christian
5 hours ago, ckaricai said:

The second person narration didn't bother me at all. That's such a great story.

I think it was a combination of factors. 

 

With audio books the narrator can make or break it.

 

With the Fifth Season the narrator in the second person parts seemed to be taking a disconnected approach. Almost like being a vocally neutral as possible with it. I think if I had been reading it instead of listening to it, that might've made the difference. Will mostly likely pick up a physical copy and try again.

 

I ran into a similar problem trying to listen to an audio book of Marx's capital. Yeah that is dry material but having a dry British person read it... doesn't help.

 

In the audio book of The City We

 

Became...that narrator is amazing.  It really feels like I am in the character's heads.  It is very visceral and engaging. Plus the narrator is doing all the accents that at least to my Midwestern ears seem authentic to the boroughs.

 

 

  • LIKE/LOVE 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ckaricai
19 hours ago, Christian said:

I think it was a combination of factors. 

 

With audio books the narrator can make or break it.

 

With the Fifth Season the narrator in the second person parts seemed to be taking a disconnected approach. Almost like being a vocally neutral as possible with it. I think if I had been reading it instead of listening to it, that might've made the difference. Will mostly likely pick up a physical copy and try again.

 

I ran into a similar problem trying to listen to an audio book of Marx's capital. Yeah that is dry material but having a dry British person read it... doesn't help.

 

In the audio book of The City We

 

Became...that narrator is amazing.  It really feels like I am in the character's heads.  It is very visceral and engaging. Plus the narrator is doing all the accents that at least to my Midwestern ears seem authentic to the boroughs.

 

 

 

Well now I'm curious about the accents in The City We Became. I do know what you mean about annoying narration, but I don't think I've quit listening a book because of that. 

  • LIKE/LOVE 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Christian
1 hour ago, ckaricai said:

but I don't think I've quit listening a book because of that. 

It was a promise I made to myself years ago.

 

I read Divergent.

 

It was the worst book I ever read. I forced myself to finish it.  I hated every second of it.

 

I promised myself after that to never force myself to finish something I wasn't into.  movie, book, TV show whatever.

 

 

******€

The actor is Robin Miles 

 

Just by her work on this audio book alone she could read the phone book and I would pay for it. She has honed her voice work to a level you don't see very often.

 

Here's a clip.

 

 

  • LIKE/LOVE 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...