VACCINATION CHECK IN

Vaccination started super slow here in Germany. I don't think people my age will get vaccinated in the next months, probably only in the second half of 2021.

I'm super happy to hear you're getting your shots though, @Troy! I hope you're done with all of them soon and can experience some sense of freedom again! 

• LIKE/LOVE 20

• WARRIOR

Received mine on March 4th, the Pfizer 1st dose.  No major issues with it other than a slight sore arm that you'd usually get with any needle injection.  It is comforting knowing that supposedly I wouldn't die now or have to go into a hospital should I get the virus but rather could fight it off with my own immune system from home.

Because of the work I do, I fall under the Healthcare Worker category so got to go a little earlier than I would have.  I literally JUST cremated a COVID+ case!  😮  The number of them has slowed considerably but we do still get them.

• LIKE/LOVE 24

I'm in Spokane, Washington. While I don't have any severe health issues, I am overweight, and also over 65, so I qualified. I received my Pfizer first dose on March 3. I ran a little fever for about half an hour, but it went away very shortly after. A couple hours later, I began to experience pretty severe aching in my shoulder up to my ear on the side I got the shot on, to the point I was almost crying. That lasted about 6 hours. As it ebbed, I began to realize I had a headache, which went away after another couple hours. Not pleasant, but seriously better than not being able to breathe. I'm scheduled to have my second dose on March 24.

My ex got the Moderna vaccine first dose on March 1, and is due for the second on March 28. His experience was similar to mine, without the fever, and it started several hours later, but lasted for most of two days. Both of us made the connection of the pain being similar to what we experienced when we had shingles.

• LIKE/LOVE 19

South of France, in a medium city north of Toulouse. It's going slow. For now it's old people with comorbidities who are getting the vaccine. I've looked how many got vaccinated already, around 3 300 000 people (February 17 2021) have had their first shot, so I think the number is probably around 4 million or more now. 

Haven't received mine and not planning to unless it becomes compulsory for some reason (if traveling requires it, for instance, or if they start discriminating between vaccinated and non-vaccinated), since I'm very much not at risk for ending up in the hospital and/or dying if I were to catch it. My age class won't get vaccinated in a looong while, and I don't even think I need it anyway. Maybe when I'm way older and more fragile, I'll get the shot, but then perhaps this virus will have become a really minor threat and I'll have probably caught it a couple times by then. I'll see. I think one of my relatives, who is 75 and has comorbidities, may have already been vaccinated. I'll ask her next time I call her. I miss mum and I driving 2 hours to spend the afternoon with her...

I'm actually terrified of being called a bad person now

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • WHAT/WOW! 2

• WARRIOR
2 minutes ago, Manshuk said:

Haven't received mine and not planning to unless it becomes compulsory for some reason
I'm actually terrified of being called a bad person now

Since you can't know your future, just curious why you wouldn't get it when it becomes available to you?  You've probably gotten many other vaccines in your lifetime so why not this one?

• LIKE/LOVE 15

@Bobby If there's no much risk for me, I don't really care. I never take the flu shot for example, because I've never had the flu, and I don't generally get sick. I'm not vaccinated against HPV either. I got the tetanus/polio/diphteria shot, the mumps/rubella/measles shot, TB as well if I recall correctly, but COVID is much less of a threat to me than TB could be, for example. I may have already have it and not known it. That's why I just prefer to let it pass through my body if I were to get it, and if I die... well, I die. I'm not planning to stay around longer than what's needed in this lifetime anyway.

I just don't want to be burned at the stake. 

• LIKE/LOVE 5
  • ANGRY 1
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

Hi there Troy and TLE!  I work in a hospital and got my first dose 12/18/2020, second dose on 1/13/2021.  Other than tears of absolute gratitude, and a sense of relief that the light was there at the end of the long tunnel, my first dose only gave me a very, very sore arm and I felt tired for a couple of days.

My second dose was an ass-kicker: the full suite of misery, from a very high fever (103 at times, even while dosed with Tylenol and ibuprofen), chills, aches, exhaustion, headache, nausea and inappetence, stomach pains...  ugh, it was the suck.  But, as my husband says, embrace the suck.  About 36 hours after my second shot, my fever broke.  I was hungry.  I felt tired, but better.  I was the only person in our department that had such a rip-roaring immune response.  One odd thing about feeling crappy was that, unlike with a real illness, I never once felt emotional or depressed.  I always seem to feel sad or depressed when sick — so it was purely physical discomfort.  

I am now working to get as many in my circle of family and friends vaccinated.  I have learned the ropes of getting people signed up at local health departments, local hospitals, pharmacies like Rite Aid, etc. in my home state of Michigan.  Since many of these sign-ups are exclusively online, I have helped sign up many elderly folks who would not be able to do it for themselves.  That is the part of the roll-out that is just idiotic: have everything online and expect older folks to have access/understand how to use a website, etc.

My 74 year old mom had both doses (a wee bit of a fever and felt achy, nothing more), my uncle (age 79) had both doses (felt nothing).  I will be grateful when we can get the rest of the family vaccinated.

We just opened up vaccination to age 50 and over here yesterday, if you have medical issues.  On 3/22 it will be age 50 and over, with no medical issues.  I registered my brothers and their wives who have medical issues.  On 3/22 I will get my other brother and my husband registered.

If anyone lives in Michigan and needs help with registering, PLEASE reach out to me.

Edit: I got the Pfizer vaccine.  Mom got Pfizer, Uncle got Moderna.

Edited by Anne B
Added info
  • LIKE/LOVE 16
  • THANK YOU! 3

@Connie Stansell-Foy, hey, that was a bit of a reaction that you had. Did you tell the RN/Dr who vaccinated you about the timing, extent and severity of your reaction? They need to know this, it is part of the service...

@Anne B did you have an immediate reaction or was it a postponed reaction? It sounds suckful, I am glad that you have recovered. I hope that you told your vaccination RN/Dr of your adverse reaction too. You have got to report any all adverse reactions. 

I am glad that you are feeling better now though. 

I am in NZ. If I get a job as a vaccinator I will be vaccinated very quickly, if not, then I will be vaccinated probably as non priority. NZ has the Pfizer vaccine here, and I am ready to go to vaccinate - should I be required and as long as it fits in with my study. It is so good to hear that so many people here on TLE are getting their initial and subsequent doses of the vaccine. ...

Edited by AnnaD
  • LIKE/LOVE 15

10 minutes ago, Manshuk said:

That's why I just prefer to let it pass through my body if I were to get it, and if I die... well, I die. I'm not planning to stay around longer than what's needed in this lifetime anyway.

@Manshuk If it were just me, I'd feel the same. But what if you get it, are asymptomatic, go to the store, expose someone else, who goes home and gives it to their relative who has an immune deficiency so that they cannot take vaccinations? How would you feel if that person were to die?

You may want to read up on long-covid, also referenced as long-haulers, some of whom don't get very ill to begin with, but have lasting effects after they've recovered. Many of them are quite young, and as far as anyone can tell, they will have these debilitating effects for the rest of their lives.

Plus, I've read an article that suggested that those who never get very sick, but never really get well, may be the well from which new variants arise. We must clamp down on the variants, or the vaccinations we already have will no longer be effective, and we may go through this whole thing again.

Please reconsider, and get the vaccination as soon as it's available to you.

• LIKE/LOVE 16
  • THANK YOU! 4

8 minutes ago, AnnaD said:

Did you tell the RN/Dr who vaccinated you about the timing, extent and severity of your reaction? They need to know this, it is part of the service...

I am glad that you are feeling better now though. 

Thanks. I know it's uncommon to have a severe reaction to the first dose, and that wasn't as severe as the reaction most are seeing to the second dose. But I've always had a raging immune system, and I'm thinking it just said, "Hey, that stuff isn't welcome here!"

I didn't tell anyone, no. I probably have contact info around here. If I can't find it, I'll tell them when I go in for my second dose.

• LIKE/LOVE 10
  • THANK YOU! 1

• WARRIOR
27 minutes ago, Manshuk said:

Oh Dear God... you're talking to the wrong guy about not being "burned"  😄

• LIKE/LOVE 2
  • LOL 16

I already took two doses of the vaccine .. in my case it was Coranavc (The vaccine produced by china).

I took it on the first lebva for working in a hospital. At the moment all people who work in a hospital have already taken at least the first dose.

Vaccination here in Brazil is at a slow pace .. now the elderly are vaccinating .. the age of those who have already been vaccinated depends on the city you live in. Some cities vaccinate only elderly people over 80 years old .. others are in their 75s. .

Although vaccination has started the pandemic is at its worst in Brazil.

I Just read that.

Brazil breaks record with 1,954 deaths in 24 hours

Its really the wrost moment here

Edited by Luciana Flora
  • LIKE/LOVE 19
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

@AnnaD In the US we have a CDC-based (Centers for Disease Control) reporting system called V-Safe.  It is optional, but I encourage everyone who has gotten a vaccine to participate.  With V-Safe they have daily check-ins (and then later weekly) via your phone to track how folks are responding to the vaccine.  I reported via V-Safe.  I also reported it to my work, since I was vaccinated via our hospital vaccination program.  Our hospital system put together a report that the reaction rate mirrored the results that Pfizer and Moderna have gotten.  We have used both vaccines in our facilities for staff.  At this point the vaccines are not compulsory— so only the staff who wanted the vaccine received it.  I was in the first wave.  We have had four more waves offering vaccination since then, and at this point nearly 80% of our staff have elected the vaccine.  

My reaction of sore arm (like someone just beat the hell out of my arm!) with the first dose hit at about the 24-hour mark.  With my second dose I started to feel punky about 6 hours after, with the full effects hitting at about the 12 hour mark and staying sucky until the 36-hours from vaccination mark.  No longer term effects to report two months later.  I do suffer from auto immune disorders including celiac.  I have had no issues since being vaccinated.  

We have compulsory flu vaccination in our facilities, and for many the COVID-19 vaccine was no worse than getting a flu vaccine.  So I am an outlier here with my response.  Also, after witnessing the past year of COVID-19 death and misery, and now long-haulers, the 36 hours of misery are far outweighed by the benefits, which include keeping others safe and hopefully not spreading the disease.  I will be forever grateful to the folks who developed the vaccines, and to my employer — we had the best roll-out in our state among large hospital systems, the most effective vaccination program for employees to make sure the highest risk were vaccinated first and quickly, and an incredibly high rate of participation.  

• LIKE/LOVE 9
  • THANK YOU! 4

@Anne B that is great that the CDC and your hospital, are taking stock of the reaction rates and adverse reaction to anaphylactoid-anaphylaxis reactions if any, of the first and secondary doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Your hospital sounds responsible, proactive and it is great to know that the staff vaccination rate is 80%. That is a great hospital staff engagement rate. 

I suspected that the first and second doses would have within 24 hour reaction manifestation lead in times, reactions hardly ever happen in front of the person who administered the drug lol tell me about it. 

That is great that despite having coeliac disease, you are feeling none the worse for having the vaccine, two months later. 

• LIKE/LOVE 9

I'm not eligible yet,  even though I work in a moderate risk environment. My profession seems to keep falling through the cracks when it comes to exactly what should be done, in this state. My parental units finally, finally have a date to get their first jab. It's already been moved back once, so I really hope they don't find a reason to move them back yet again. 
I'll be right in line once I'm allowed to be. 

GET THE VACCINE, EVERYONE. 

Your immune system has no fucking clue what to do with this, and as someone with asthma, I can say from experience that feeling like you can't get enough air is one of the worst  panic inducing unpleasant experiences ever.  
Even a few minutes suck-imagine hours and no one you love allowed anywhere near you.
This is not how you want to go if you can possibly help it. 
And miraculously, you can. 

• LIKE/LOVE 15
  • THANK YOU! 5

• WARRIOR

Will be getting my second dose of Moderna next Monday. Just slight tenderness at the injection site last time. No fever or other symptoms. Looking forward to not worrying about hanging out with friends!

• LIKE/LOVE 19

I'm glad everyone is getting their shots, especially you, @Troy! Ouija One sadly doesn't exist, yet!

@Anne B, I live in a (mostly) positively e-state and most people have smartphones and can use them, my 75 year old mother is having Zoom meetings etc. But they tested inviting the elderly to the vaccinations by email and less than half showed up. Which is better than nothing, but seems they learned from that, which somewhat sadly means even more work for family doctors and nurses... I want to send all of them lots of quality chocolate!

Estonia, Europe -- Here they're vaccinating teachers and medical staff and older folk with health issues. My mother is 75, but very healthy and works from home, so she's not rushing it yet.

I am currently recovering from Covid, quarantine over, still have the slightest cough and an annoying overall tiredness. I and my kid will get the vaccine whenever and whichever one is offered. A couple of days of discomfort is nothing compared to potential long-hauling. Even two weeks of this bloody sluggishness has been too much for me, and I really needed the rest for the first week! Get your shots if you can.

Edited by Evelin
  • LIKE/LOVE 18
  • THANK YOU! 2

@Evelin, I am glad you and your daughter are recovering from covid-19, I am so so so glad. I am so so so so so glad that you will get the vaccine. I will write to you later ok? Big hugs with a glass wall in between, ((((((((((()))))))))))))).

• LIKE/LOVE 11
  • THANK YOU! 1

Thanks, @AnnaD! My daughter never got sick, oddly and thankfully, although by chance she was with me until the day I got symptoms. Then she spent 10 days at home with her dad and their cat, and legos, so she actually had a nice time :) Although she was worried about me. Her father tested negative after quarantine. Fortunately no friends of family are sick, but two people from work are.

I'm still not in the clear, but I probably came out of this easily, yet I do NOT recommend this to anyone! Vaccinate and stay healthy, all of you, please. Safe e-hugs!

• LIKE/LOVE 11
  • THANK YOU! 3

Bristol, UK. I got the first shot of the Biontech/Pfizer vaccine at the end of Jan.

Super smooth setup: in, jab, OTHER HUMAN BEINGS TO TALK TO (they exist 👀) while waiting 10 mins, out. 

I hadn’t expected to get it so soon actually. Work put in a lot of effort for us to have it - we’re classed as frontline workers. My arm hurt quite a bit the day after and I felt Covid symptoms but was fine after another night’s sleep. I’m glad first one is over and done with and I actually feel quite protected now 💪🏼

I think the UK was planning on getting as many people vaccinated with the first dose before they give the second one. Now over 30% of the population had the first jab apparently and the numbers of infections and deaths are dropping (also due to lockdown). Last one for me will probably be at the end of March.

@Nadine it’s really uncommon for Germany to be so behind after they’ve done so well last year. My mum’s in Germany and, although a high risk person, still hasn’t had an invitation for her vaccination yet. She’s been living alone and been shielding for over a year now without much contact to the outside world, she’s simply fed up and tired with it all like so many others. I hope they get it sorted soon.

• LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 1

I was vaccinated in NYC in Jan and Feb with the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine.  Had mild symptoms after the 1st shot along with being tired for several days and fever and chills after the 2nd shot, then tired again.  Glad for the reactions which showed my body was fighting the virus. 
The best was feeling relieved afterwards. I’m still careful and usually wear two masks when I leave my apartment to go out.  Masks are mandatory in my high-rise building which houses about 1K tenants sharing the elevators, lobby, mailroom etc. 

Once in my car I take the masks off and am amazed how many people leave them on, even when driving alone!

Hoping everyone gets vaccinated for the greater good. 

Edited by Ludmila Karameros
Continuity
  • LIKE/LOVE 17

3 hours ago, Manshuk said:

@Bobby If there's no much risk for me, I don't really care. I never take the flu shot for example, because I've never had the flu, and I don't generally get sick. I'm not vaccinated against HPV either. I got the tetanus/polio/diphteria shot, the mumps/rubella/measles shot, TB as well if I recall correctly, but COVID is much less of a threat to me than TB could be, for example. I may have already have it and not known it. That's why I just prefer to let it pass through my body if I were to get it, and if I die... well, I die. I'm not planning to stay around longer than what's needed in this lifetime anyway.

Line on the left. One cross each. BYO fire extinguisher. 👩‍🚒

• LOL 5

Seattle, WA -- Tex just got his first dose of Pfizer vaccine last Saturday. Had a bit of a sore arm but no other side effects. Our appointment system is a bit of a clusterfuck. There's no centralized appointment portal -- they give you a list of locations, and you have to check each location near you to see if they have any appointments available. If you're not checking constantly you're shit out of luck. Tex has been eligible since January, but we've both been working a lot and don't have the kind of time to be always checking. Plus he can socially distance at work, and my work is completely remote. He was on a wait list at one hospital that never called. Last week I got him on a wait list for a different hospital that his friend suggested, and he got notified to schedule an appointment within a few days. He got his shot at one of the big vaccination sites at an Amazon building in downtown Seattle. We had to wait in line for about 2.5 hours even with the appointment. 

I will probably not get vaccinated myself until they open it to the general public -- sounds like it'll be June or July at this point.

Edited by DianeHB
  • LIKE/LOVE 16
  • THANK YOU! 2