AnnH

Chicago, IL USA. It's been kind of a clusterfuck here in Chicago, too. I finally got an appointment for my first shot for next Monday (one week!).

• LIKE/LOVE 9
  • THANK YOU! 2
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Connie Stansell-Foy

• AnnaD

• Leela Corman

• Juni

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got my first vaccination recently and made me wonder who else has received their vaccination, either in part of full.   Let us know:   if you have received yours where yo

I'm in Providence, Rhode Island, which is apparently doing a very good job of running its vaccination program. I'm not yet eligible, as I'm 48 and have no comorbidities. My doctor tells me she thinks

LOL, I do think this is particularly funny that you are laissez-faire about dying, but express fear of the very unlikelihood of metaphorically being burned at the stake but no concerns about the very

Posted Images

• WARRIOR
Uma

Got my second dose today. Less injection site soreness than the first one, although it's noticeable when I lift my arm. So happy and relieved to be protected at least this much.

• LIKE/LOVE 16
Connie Stansell-Foy
On 3/13/2021 at 4:25 PM, Patty said:

My brother is also eligible to get the vaccine since he works in the Agriculture industry as a food producer. He was on board with the vaccine initially, but has suddenly become hesitant. He is being influenced (brain washed) by his super conservative boss. I’m sure he’ll get it sooner or later, but it’s frustrating that he would even entertain such a reckless idea. My whole family is up in arms about it!

I think my middle brother will get the vaccine as soon as it's available and he manages to sign up; he's a bit susceptible to conspiracy theories, but has a super-sensible wife who will most likely insist. I'm afraid to even ask my other, more conservative, brothers whether they will get it, as I suspect they think it is some kind of democratic plot. They all live in Idaho, that bastion of conservative thought (sorry, non-thought?), and I doubt the eldest will listen to sense, while the youngest is possibly vulnerable to the "it's the mark of the beast!" crowd, as is his wife (with her, it's an actual illness, and she won't take her meds).

• LIKE/LOVE 7
  • SAD 1
  • HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
Troy
On 3/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, Manshuk said:

South of France, in a medium city north of Toulouse. It's going slow. For now it's old people with comorbidities who are getting the vaccine. I've looked how many got vaccinated already, around 3 300 000 people (February 17 2021) have had their first shot, so I think the number is probably around 4 million or more now. 

Haven't received mine and not planning to unless it becomes compulsory for some reason (if traveling requires it, for instance, or if they start discriminating between vaccinated and non-vaccinated), since I'm very much not at risk for ending up in the hospital and/or dying if I were to catch it. My age class won't get vaccinated in a looong while, and I don't even think I need it anyway. Maybe when I'm way older and more fragile, I'll get the shot, but then perhaps this virus will have become a really minor threat and I'll have probably caught it a couple times by then. I'll see. I think one of my relatives, who is 75 and has comorbidities, may have already been vaccinated. I'll ask her next time I call her. I miss mum and I driving 2 hours to spend the afternoon with her...

I'm actually terrified of being called a bad person now

LOL, being called a bad person? Are we that scary on TLE? 

Considering you status, your logic makes total sense to me. It sounded like a reasonable assessment, not a campaign to stop Bill Gates from injecting microchips into us. LOL

By the time you are eligible, you may reconsider the reasons for vaccination because at least two of the vaccinations have now been proven to slow or stop the spread (Oxford and Pfizer), so you wouldn't just be vaccinated to protect yourself, but to protect others from you as potential carrier. Most people around you may be vaccinated by then, but none of this is 100% effective, and with this pandemic becoming endemic, we are going to be dealing with it for a long time. People who don't get vaccinated for various reasons could help create a new strain or variation and we could be back to square one. But that's all just extra stuff to consider over time.

But you are in no danger of being called a bad person for being reasonable and sharing your thoughts, Manshuk! I hope the responses here have been comforting and reassuring.

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 1
Moonfeather

I live in south central Pennsylvania and I am enrolled in the Veteran's Administration healthcare system so I had put myself on a waiting list.  I was notified in early March about clinics being offered and received my 1st dose of Moderna on March 10 with my 2nd scheduled for April 7.  No real side effects, sore arm mostly, maybe fatigue but I can't tell if it was shot related or lack of sleep. I would have preferred the J&J one and done because it may perform better with variants but I took what was available.

I am not an anti-vaxxer but I am selective about which vaccines I get. There may be some side effects long term from the moderna vaccine and it may not work well with variants but I figured those risks were worth taking because I do not want to get covid, no way, no how. I will still wear my mask in public and take safe measures in case we vaccinated can still be asymptomatic and affect others. This virus needs to be stopped and it will take everyone and everything we have to do it. 

We are still learning about the virus, vaccine effects, etc, but getting vaccinated is part of that learning curve. We have to take steps, try things, to learn. I know none of us get out of here alive but I do not want covid to take me out this life. My 17 year old niece had covid and got over it in a few days. She did not infect anyone else in the household but who knows what her long term effects from covid will be. I'm 54 so I'm not worried about potential vaccine side effects but I am worried about the rest of her life and the effects on others who get the disease. I just can't imagine any long term vaccine side effects being worse than covid itself. It may end up being something we live with, like the flu and its variants.

I feel some comfort already and will likely feel more when I get the 2nd dose. My mom is already fully vaccinated and so is my closest local friend. I like knowing I will be able to visit with them and not worry we might accidentally kill each other.

• LIKE/LOVE 15
  • THANK YOU! 4
Connor
On 3/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, Connor said:

I sent an application to my city's health department, but I am not in any of the higher-risk groups, so it will probably be a while before I hear back.

I had some Pfizer squirted into my arm today.

After submitting a vaccine interest form, I was surprised to learn that I was part of the "1A/1B" group. I live in Philly, where FEMA has established a vaccination center in the Convention Center, and there was an announcement that Philly residents from certain underrepresented ZIP codes would be allowed to walk in without appointments for a vaccination between 3/17 and 3/22. Sometimes "the universe" sends very clear messages, so today I biked through the rain to Center City and got myself vaccinated.

As a reward, I stopped for some chocolates on my way back home, and also for some books. I grabbed the first three Wheel of Time novels, along with two history books about Richard the Lionheart and the 1381 Peasant's Revolt.

• LIKE/LOVE 18
  • THANK YOU! 3
NickG

Here in Ohio, people 16+ can start registering on  March 29th to get the vaccine. I was surprised we could even register this early but who knows exactly when the appointment will actually happen. It's a hell of a step considering where we were a month or two ago.

• LIKE/LOVE 14
Connie Stansell-Foy
On 3/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, Connie Stansell-Foy said:

I think my middle brother will get the vaccine as soon as it's available and he manages to sign up; he's a bit susceptible to conspiracy theories, but has a super-sensible wife who will most likely insist. I'm afraid to even ask my other, more conservative, brothers whether they will get it, as I suspect they think it is some kind of democratic plot. They all live in Idaho, that bastion of conservative thought (sorry, non-thought?), and I doubt the eldest will listen to sense, while the youngest is possibly vulnerable to the "it's the mark of the beast!" crowd, as is his wife (with her, it's an actual illness, and she won't take her meds).

I just got off the phone with my middle brother, and I'm very upset. He believes the vaccines work by changing your DNA, that they actually give people covid, or give them alzheimer's, and that we will reach herd immunity in 5 years without getting everyone vaccinated. He says he won't take the vaccine, and that he won't wear a mask. And he's not happy that I'm taking the vaccine.

I expect the same from my other two brothers, but I honestly thought he was smarter than that.

😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • SAD 9
  • ANGRY 3
Philip Wittmeyer

A hospital that I have had occasion to visit over the years in my little city here in Colorado tracked me down via email and text messaging in early January and offered the vaccine. This contact happened far sooner than I expected, even though I am 74 years old and I have "conditions". Got my first Moderna shot on January 10 and the second one on February 7. Other than the soreness at the site of the injection, there was no perceptible reaction to the first shot, but the second shot put me down for a day, with aches, fever, and fatigue. The science magazines that I read are full of articles about COVID. They say that even though there is less danger of severe illness for post-vaccination people, the recommendation is to continue to do the things that prevent getting it or spreading it, so my prophylactic lifestyle has not changed a whit. However, I do feel more at ease psychologically.

• LIKE/LOVE 15
Becca the Student
21 hours ago, Connor said:

As a reward, I stopped for some chocolates on my way back home, and also for some books. I grabbed the first three Wheel of Time novels, along with two history books about Richard the Lionheart and the 1381 Peasant's Revolt.

OH SNAP WHEEL OF TIME. Man, I was obsessed with that series in high school. Buckle in for a ride, friend, it's a long story. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on them!

Also congrats on getting the vaccine! Most of the people in my life have gotten one -- no side effects or adverse reactions as of yet from any of them. I'm still not eligible, so I'm patiently waiting and very jealous of my friends who already have it.

• LIKE/LOVE 13
Connie Stansell-Foy

I received my second Pfizer vaccination today. So far (about 6 and a half hours later) little to no soreness in my arm, and only a mild headache that I can't swear is even connected.

I went to Staples afterward to have my vaccination card laminated, and found out they are doing it for FREE! If we are going to need to show vaccination cards in order to participate in some formerly normal activities (like traveling), it's probably a good idea to have your vaccination card laminated.

• LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 2
luluaussi

Got my first Phizer yesterday. But since I got Covid from my mom’s assisted living facility on the 31st...yay for people wearing PPE protocol as a “suggestion” the day after my father died on December 17th (see previous shout out) I have experienced very minimal reaction. I was in the sweet spot of less than 90 days since I became ill. Yeah, reactions were minimal, but the funky ass headache I had during Covid reappeared. I won’t have had my second before I go see my mom again in Florida, we’re finally going to inter  my father in the national cemetery in Tallahassee on the 16th of April. Been chatting with Michael over my parents and their relationship with me. My dad and I are in a good place, My mom finally has the opportunity at the age of 85 to fully enter her fifth Monad. She has never lived alone, she and my dad were married for 61 years when he died. She missed Covid because we all cared and took care of her and made her life optimally safe. Her choice now is to live or to die. But at least I won’t be passing Covid onto her when I see her next month. 

• LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 3
ckaricai

Got my first shot last month. My arm was sore and swollen for a few days. My clinic had orginally scheduled my second shot for april and decided to move it to this weekend. The second shot has been a scheduling mess, but I'm just glad I have an appointment. Not looking forward to feeling like crap over the weekend tho. 

• LIKE/LOVE 14
  • THANK YOU! 1
  • WARRIOR
Bobby

I received my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday evening.  So far so good this morning other than a sore arm from the injection.

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 1
Connie Stansell-Foy

Two and a half days after my second shot. No further side effects. Headache is gone. I have heard that some have side effects that begin up to 8 days after the second vaccination. I hope not to get those, but still better than actually getting sick.

I read today that getting both vaccination shots after having had Covid seems to relieve the lingering effects known as Long Covid. If true, that's very good news!

• LIKE/LOVE 13
ckaricai

Finally got my 2nd shot today. Glad that's done. I can finally go back to the pool in a couple weeks. Waiting for the side effects to kick in. My mom got her's this week and had a fever for a couple days. She's fine now tho. 

• LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 2
Wendy

I started to write about this right after I got my first shot but my browser crashed and I never made it back here.

I got my first Moderna shot on 3/16 which was the second day I was eligible here in Florida.  I get my second shot on 4/13 and I've already got my ticket to visit my family in Cape Cod on 4/20.  Yes I would prefer waiting the full two weeks before my visit but I need to see my niece who is in the states until the 26th. 

Both my nieces live in Israel (go figure) and have been fully vaccinated for some time.  The other one is also coming back while I'm up there too.    My nieces, who are both extraordinarily close to my mother, were going to wait until her 90th birthday celebration we are planning in August, but she was hospitalized a couple weeks ago and it was such a big scare we were all in a rush to see her.  By next week my mother will be 2 weeks post her second shot and my sister will have her full immunity from her vaccine at the same time as me.  

I was so excited to get my shot I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before.  @Uma got an appt for me when I drove her for her second dose which likely saved me at least a few days.  Most people I know now have gotten at least their first shot and it makes me so happy though I know I will not be "going back to normal".  I find I am in no rush to do things I used to do and am going to give myself plenty of time to re-evaluate and see what I truly want. 

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 1
DianeHB

@TexB got his second Pfizer shot on Saturday, with a much shorter line at the vaccination site. He hasn’t felt any side effects, not even a sore arm. We’ll see if anything shows up within the week. 

Edited by DianeHB
  • LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 2
Connie Stansell-Foy

I got my second shot on March 24th, and did finally have a mild reaction a couple days ago (On the 27th, I think). Mid to late afternoon, quite suddenly felt exhausted for no reason, and around 8 pm began experiencing some vertigo. I went to bed soon after and slept for a 9 1/2 hours! I usually only manage about 5 to 6. Anyway, I was still a little tired for a bit when I woke up, but it soon passed, and everything has been fine since then.

• LIKE/LOVE 11
  • THANK YOU! 1
Jeroen

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday, March 31st. I did not notice any symptoms until early morning. When I got up this morning, I realized the shot affected me more than I thought it might. I was walking to the kitchen and had to sit down on the cold floor for a little while. I felt like I was going to lose consciousness and was covered with sweat. It took me a bit before I felt strong enough to get up and go back to bed.

Now I have symptoms of headache, body aches, nausea on and off, and low grade fever. The fever does appear to be dropping.

• LIKE/LOVE 7
  • SAD 4
  • WHAT/WOW! 2
  • THANK YOU! 3
AnnaD

@Jeroen, I hope that the fever, headache, nausea and body aches subside soon. Let someone know sooner rather than later if your body temp isn't sorting itself out yeah? Your body temp will sort itself out but it is always good to have someone around when you feel unwell. 

I hope that there is someone close you can contact should things escalate..

Thinking of you.

Edited by AnnaD
Qualifying.
  • LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 3
Rosario
On 3/10/2021 at 10:45 AM, Leela Corman said:

I'm in Providence, Rhode Island, which is apparently doing a very good job of running its vaccination program. I'm not yet eligible, as I'm 48 and have no comorbidities. My doctor tells me she thinks I'll likely be eligible in May. I can't wait.

Regarding our bodies and choices: getting vaccinations is an act of citizenship, and a matter of public health. It's not just about an individual and whether you yourself seem to never get whatever's going around. We're around other people. We work with, live with, ride transportation with, shop with other people. We all have a responsibility to protect one another. Our choices about our bodies end where other people's safety begins. It makes zero impact on others if I take headache medicine, have an abortion, have reiki or acupuncture or plastic surgery. But it sure makes a difference if I'm an asymptomatic carrier of a disease I could have been vaccinated for, and I unwittingly pass it on to my neighbor, or my kid, or your mom when I sit next to her on the train. We would never have licked smallpox if people had decided that the vaccination for it was just a matter of personal choice. Can you imagine a world where smallpox was still rampant, with the way we travel?

Older cemeteries are full of the graves of children. Take a walk through them sometime, and note the years and ages of their deaths, then correlate that to epidemics of our past. As a person who has held the corpse of her own child, I do not recommend this type of loss. A shot in your arm is at best a momentary inconvenience. The death of your loved ones ruins your life.

I used to brush off the influenza vaccine, because I so rarely got it. But I have become religious about it, since my last pregnancy, and I'm glad, because in 2018 I got a flu so bad that if I hadn't been vaccinated, I would very possibly have died. I found that out after the fact, from my doctor, who told me that year's had been the most virulent since 1918, with a high fatality rate. The flu shot doesn't always keep you from getting sick, but it prevents the worst complications, such as pneumonia and death. Plus you can take a cute flu shot selfie and show off your muscular arm with a hot bandaid on it. I cannot wait to do this with my covid vax, I am a vaccine ho.

THANK YOU @Leela Corman love this so much.  my exact feelings. thank you!! 

@Jeroen I hope those symptoms subside soon! sending some healing energies your way!

in my country, my parents should be getting the vaccine on May or June at the latest.  I will have to wait more months probably.

Edited by Rosario
  • LIKE/LOVE 17
  • THANK YOU! 1
Christian

IL just opened shots up to anyone 16 or 18 and up depending on the shot.

My first is this saturday

• LIKE/LOVE 15
Tom
26 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday, March 31st. I did not notice any symptoms until early morning. When I got up this morning, I realized the shot affected me more than I thought it might. I was walking to the kitchen and had to sit down on the cold floor for a little while. I felt like I was going to lose consciousness and was covered with sweat. It took me a bit before I felt strong enough to get up and go back to bed.

Now I have symptoms of headache, body aches, nausea on and off, and low grade fever. The fever does appear to be dropping.

I received my 2nd Moderna shot March 29th.  By noon the next day I was suffering from terrible chills.  I only felt okay after wrapping myself in 3 layers of blankets.  But I was fine by Wednesday.  I don't quite feel 100% yet (still have a slight headache and fatigue), but the difference between how I feel now and how I felt the day after the 2nd shot was huge.  I hope this information helps! 

• LIKE/LOVE 12
  • THANK YOU! 5