TruthLoveEnergy

ENERGY REPORT - June 2021

Troy

Well, I started out the month with a dislocated knee, so I'm going to have ample time consider perseverance and Cynicism. There are definitely ways that "life sucks" right now, but I'm trying hard to hold on to some form of optimism through this slow recovery.

Edited by Eric
  • LIKE/LOVE 21
  • SAD 2

My focus is on Moving Forward and Optimism.

I am surprised there's not a larger divergence, but I feel like Im at a divergence and I don't know where I'm going with my life, but I know I want change.

No clue about that Convergence, but it could relate to me on my way to changing jobs.

Otherwise, I hate the pandemic and want global change and have no desire to give up on that, despite what turbulence there may be.

Carpe diem.

• LIKE/LOVE 22

I wonder if Michael's seeing a potential for something ugly in the Middle East.

I was hoping Netanyahu being forced out would ultimately be a good thing.     
Both for people living in Israel and across the Middle East as a whole.
That without his efforts to fan the flames, many fires might finally have the chance to start dying down.

• LIKE/LOVE 20

Wow, here we go into the fray some more....  Face the truth and let it break over you.   Thank you Troy,  we will get through this.

• LIKE/LOVE 15

The price of chicken and meat of all kinds has shot up tremendously the past year as well.  In the long run, I'm thinking this change will be positive in Canada.

Just the other day, a relative and I were talking about how even when restaurants reopen to in-person dining, will there even be pre-COVID levels of customers long-term?

If restaurants need to bounce back from COVID-related losses, and the price of ingredients is this high?  
(ie the striploin steaks they wanted for outdoor BBQing were 50% more expensive at the grocery store than last year.  So I encouraged them to visit the Wholesale supplier which sells to restaurants, too.)

More and more restaurants are offering vegan / vegetarian options for take-out (even franchises and fast-food chains), and I think this is here to stay.

I just wish so many of the delicious-looking new meat substitutes didn't use nut-based ingredients (I'm allergic).

• LIKE/LOVE 15
  • THANK YOU! 2

• Troy changed the title to ENERGY REPORT - June 2021

@Jeroen and @AnnaD - consider yourselves virtually hugged! I recall reading way, way back in the Seth material - published in the 70’s, remember! - that the suffering of factory-farmed animals contributes to the suffering of all life on Earth. We can’t be healthy if so many of our systems are sick. I remember when COVID first appeared, due to that wet market - I thought, in the words of Tywin Lannister, it was a “sharp lesson.”

Now I have cats, who are obligate carnivores, but...I’m hoping for lab-grown cat foods in the future! Zorro says that as long as they TASTE like fishy noms he’s happy. I also read an article - lost it, dammit, but if I find it again I can post it - about how vegan cooking is really changing into something gourmet and delicious in its own right, not a mere “let’s make this taste like meat.” 

Troy, thank you for the report, as always! I wait for these with bated (hopefully, not baited) breath every month.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • THANK YOU! 3

I post this here, I am very glad about the first steps into a trajectory, a lot of us want. Keep in mind in reading this, that The Netherlands are till now highly dependent and are one of the the big exporters of animal products, so that the party for animals, with only 5 members in parliament has achieved this, is a "big" step!

new laws animal rights Netherlands

Three legislative proposals by the Party for Animals were passed into law in the Netherlands. A majority of both chambers of the Dutch parliament voted for these changes to laws governing animals kept in factory farming (bio-industry). Effective 1/1/2023:

1) it will no longer be allowed to adjust animals to the system, but instead the system must be adjusted to the animals, based on their natural behavior. This means enough daylight and room to maneuver, but also for example that ducks must have water to swim in and that it is no longer allowed to ‘adjust’ (disfigure) animal’s bodies (cutting off piglet’s tails or the beaks of birds);

2) factory farmers will have to ensure fire safety on their farms. This was not mandatory before and stable-fires are a regular occurrence in the Netherlands;

3) the government will have the power to regulate breeding and enforce breeding stops, for example when there is a pandemic or other circumstances that call for slowing down or even temporarily stopping breeding in order to prevent stables getting too full and slaughterhouses having to continue slaughtering animals (as was the case during the corona-crisis).

Although this is a small step, it still is a big deal in an country like the Netherlands, where farmers, animal food producers and slaughterhouse operators have always had so much (political, financial) power.

This is only a short summary, translated into english.

Edited by petra
  • LIKE/LOVE 16
  • WHAT/WOW! 2
  • THANK YOU! 3

I don't disagree with anything said here about diseases, animals, etc., but I would like to point out a few things:

1) The wet market hypothesis for Covid-19 was disproved, wasn't it? I thought bats were the vector. Maybe I'm misremembering. But....

2) Sometimes when people talk about wet markets as the vector, there's some degree of othering and racism involved. "We're not like THEM." I'm not referring to people on TLE. I'm talking about the public discourse, especially in the early days of this pandemic. That was the case, at least, in the US. Lots of disparaging talk about how people do things in China, not much talk (read: no talk at all) about...

3) Habitat encroachment and destruction. Doesn't that play a role in some diseases where wild animals are the vector? This is not to diminish the role of factory farming, which is bad. I just want to expand the lens through which we look at ourselves. Like Pogo says, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I love all the new meat and cheese substitutes. They get better all the time. That Beyond Burger is amazing. 

• LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 1

Regarding this energy report itself, thank you so much @Troy! It's giving me a lot to think about. I'm wrestling pretty hard with the specifics they bring up here. I feel quite sure that I am not feeling resigned about anything. And, I am not a Life Sucks person. Even in my darkest moments, I'm usually not. So okay, I'm in the positive pole? But, what if I'm deluding myself about that, and I'm really Resigned to being a person who is Persevering with some possibly gonzo/crazy/difficult things? You see what's happening here? This is turning into a bit of a house of mirrors for me.

I'm also thinking about truths I need to confront. I'm thinking about all the ways I've been a bad friend, bad partner, bad person, my entire adult life. And I'm also wondering if it's possible that I'm crazy, or was in the past. These thoughts aren't new, but they came up in my mind today as related to the energy report, while I was doing some very intense pilates. I keep trying to be a better person and that's all I really can do. I can't change the past. But I'm starting to wonder if I might need to confront it on a different level soon. 

• LIKE/LOVE 16

The Energy Report for June hit me kind of hard.  Not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.   I keep hoping for the report that says:  This is it, the month you've been waiting for - Love and Happiness all around, joy, jubilation , celebration....seems like we're all due for it.  So, I definitely had to take a few moments to feel my despair, then I took a nap...and when I woke it was with powerful resolve to face the music and get the work done, whatever that may mean.   

• LIKE/LOVE 13

I think the IS is still the same.

Basically, if the Nazi come fully to power or if the pandemic mutates and kills more people it will most likely manifest.

Until then,they candidates are teaching.  Several students on here are following Pat McCabe and Emma Gonzalez.  Hook up to their socials and you can keep tabs.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

On 6/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, Troy said:

The Negative Pole of Cynicism is DENIGRATION or the intentional perception to only see or point out the worst. This comes in phrases like “life sucks,” or “what does it matter” or “I can’t make a difference” or “are we really shocked?”  These are phrases that not only enforce a lie about reality, but they lock out perceptions that could bring greater insight and perception. June may bring our students into a direct examination of where they may lie to themselves or lock themselves out from broader or higher perspectives. 

This was interesting to me.

I often have thoughts like this. Then I think keep moving.

It usually comes out as a moment of frustration that then passes.

It is just to depressing to live there.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

7 hours ago, Leela Corman said:

Regarding this energy report itself, thank you so much @Troy! It's giving me a lot to think about. I'm wrestling pretty hard with the specifics they bring up here. I feel quite sure that I am not feeling resigned about anything. And, I am not a Life Sucks person. Even in my darkest moments, I'm usually not. So okay, I'm in the positive pole? But, what if I'm deluding myself about that, and I'm really Resigned to being a person who is Persevering with some possibly gonzo/crazy/difficult things? You see what's happening here? This is turning into a bit of a house of mirrors for me.

I'm also thinking about truths I need to confront. I'm thinking about all the ways I've been a bad friend, bad partner, bad person, my entire adult life. And I'm also wondering if it's possible that I'm crazy, or was in the past. These thoughts aren't new, but they came up in my mind today as related to the energy report, while I was doing some very intense pilates. I keep trying to be a better person and that's all I really can do. I can't change the past. But I'm starting to wonder if I might need to confront it on a different level soon. 

feeling the same way and couldn’t have articulated it better 🦋

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Hi @Leela Corman

I couldn't agree with you more. 

1) The wet market hypothesis for Covid-19 was disproved, wasn't it? I thought bats were the vector. Maybe I'm misremembering. But....

- I don't know IF Wuhan was the Covid-19 vector, but any wet market or animal agriculture industry promotes animal suffering, so I wouldn't be surprised if either of those areas were responsible for this latest emerging zoonotic disease. It makes sense to place responsibility with these animal eating industries (they are ALL responsible, not only Wuhan), when they are the cause of such institutionalised suffering and death.  

2) Sometimes when people talk about wet markets as the vector, there's some degree of othering and racism involved. "We're not like THEM." I'm not referring to people on TLE. I'm talking about the public discourse, especially in the early days of this pandemic. That was the case, at least, in the US. Lots of disparaging talk about how people do things in China, not much talk (read: no talk at all) about...

- Yes there is a lot of othering with placing the source of Covid-19 on the wet markets, this racism was blatant and offensive in Aotearoa/New Zealand too, and that is a source of propagating anti-Chinese hatred, which is not acceptable nor does it acknowledge the starring role of animal agriculture as aptly demonstrated in the west and the rest of the world as the source of most of the previous pandemics, HIV, Ebola, SARS, MERS, H1N1 (but most westerners unless they are vegan/epidemiologists don't like to acknowledge or admit to that, so, yes the othering of the Chinese is unacceptable) when all of animal agriculture and wet markets worldwide are accountable for this pandemic. 

3) Habitat encroachment and destruction. Doesn't that play a role in some diseases where wild animals are the vector? This is not to diminish the role of factory farming, which is bad. I just want to expand the lens through which we look at ourselves. Like Pogo says, "We have met the enemy, and he is us." 

-Yeah absolutely this plays a huge role. I couldn't agree more. It is just that animal agriculture and destroying habitats for animal agriculture form the bulk of the industry that continues to drive emerging zoonotic diseases which is why I mention it because if we choose to reject animal agriculture and wet markets in part or in whole, we will significantly minimize if not eliminate animal suffering from this source, which will significantly reduce and eliminate, emerging zoonotic diseases. I am not wanting to mislead people as to the interacting sources of emerging zoonotic disease mechanisms, but I am wanting to emphasise the area that if people want some control over their health, the point where they can exert the greatest impact is through eating vegan and rejecting animal agriculture. These articles below describe the sometimes related and sometimes unrelated, habitat destruction and its connection to animal agriculture and wet markets. 

The Lancet Ecology of zoonoses natural and unnatural histories https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61678-X/fulltext 

Frontiers Emerging zoonotic diseases: Should we rethink the animal-human interface? https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.582743/full

Khetan, Aditya. COVID-19:Why Declining Biodiversity Puts Us at Greater Risk
for Emerging Infectious Diseases, and What We Can Do.  https://europepmc.org/article/PMC/7316349

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-future-pandemic-radically-animal-agriculture.html

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mam.12201

Articles are public health and medical gold standard evidence articles. 

• LIKE/LOVE 10

The final scene of the film Contagion (2011) offers a really good example of how a  new virus could go from bats, via pigs, to a human "patient zero" (played by Gwyneth Paltrow). 

Something similar was suspected to have happened at the "wet market" in Wuhan.  

The "lab leak" theory also involves coronavirus(es) isolated from wild bats- the ones living in a certain cave system near Wuhan, China. The theory speculates whether a wild (relatively harmless) coronavirus was altered to "gain function" while being studied in a lab....Then infected the people working with it during fall 2019 (aka COVID-19 patient zero)

• LIKE/LOVE 1
  • SAD 1

• HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
19 hours ago, Leela Corman said:

I am not a Life Sucks person. Even in my darkest moments, I'm usually not. So okay, I'm in the positive pole? But, what if I'm deluding myself about that.... This is turning into a bit of a house of mirrors for me

Here is what I think... I struggle between "people fucking suck!" and "people are inherently good." The truth is that both things can be true. I think for many of us, we can see that life sucks AND that life is an amazingly magical miracle of wonder. I think the problem for most people is when ONE or the OTHER of these mentalities becomes the only thing that is true. All people are not inherently good. Not everyone sucks. Life is amazing and it fucking sucks. I think the way of wholeness and healthy perspective is when we can recognize that both of these things can be true at the same time and navigate life accordingly.

• LIKE/LOVE 17
  • THANK YOU! 1

• HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
19 hours ago, Leela Corman said:

Sometimes when people talk about wet markets as the vector, there's some degree of othering and racism involved. "We're not like THEM."

Thank you for pointing this out. This is usually the only time non-vegans are against the slaughter of animals... when it is "them" and how "they" do it. Then they go eat their MacDonald's burger. It reveals their racism and xenophobia. No one here is doing that, but thank you for bringing this up.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • THANK YOU! 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Here is what I think... I struggle between "people fucking suck!" and "people are inherently good." The truth is that both things can be true.

So.

It could be said that this could be another dichotomy that is really a spectrum.

Maybe being able to see this is part of moving into INTEGRATION. 

Like has been shared many times before, the positive pole makes space for the negative.

Perhaps that is path through this and the more we can provide that example to others the smoother we can get through the summer.

• LIKE/LOVE 7
  • THANK YOU! 1