ENERGY REPORT - September 2021

Troy

On 9/4/2021 at 5:34 PM, Troy said:

The most significant shift is likely to come toward the end of September as the Chief Feature of the year, Martyrdom begins being emphasized.

I've taken a deep dive into Martyrdom at work over the last year that came to head with this shift. I had taken on a lot of responsibility for other people's stuff at work. Trying to guide/help an employee back to her her old motivation and quality of work without her putting in the effort, eventually starting to take over her workload just to get it done. Trying to help another employee to start voicing her discontent whenever she has an issue instead of realizing it's a choice she has to make on her own and if she doesn't say anything, that's on her. Trying to keep a project going where other's are simply not putting in the work they're supposed to.

It came to a point where I developed a painful gastritis and couldn't sleep anymore. I started crying for the smallest reasons. I had a talk with my bosses at work last week because it was either something changes or I'll be on sick leave for at least 6 to 8 weeks for burn out. Luckily I do have that option - sick leave is paid here in Germany for up to a year. The talk with my boss was actually quite good and supportive. He asked: "Why are you not putting up any boundaries? Why aren't you telling me no? Or at least telling me that if you take on any more, something else is not getting done? Then we can prioritze together." I also had a talk with a therapist we work with and she simply asked "Why are you taking on all that responsibility that's not yours? Why don't you let things escalate for others if they're not doing their part?" and that's when I realized that I'm deep in Martyrdom. It's funny how Chief Features can be such a blind spot. 

I still have to do the work now of letting go, of course, but it's already a huge relief to understand what the issue is. Also, it gave me back a feeling of control that Martyrdom by it's very nature stripped me from. I'll try implementing some boundaries and changes at work in the next weeks. If that doesn't help me get my energy levels back up, I'll definitely still need to take a break. My boss is aware of that and supportive, so that's the back up plan. It would be my preference though to just get myself out of Martyrdom and exhaustion by doing my work and implementing the necessary boundaries and not taking on responsibilities that go beyond myself anymore.

Edited by Nadine
  • LIKE/LOVE 15
  • THANK YOU! 4

• PRIEST

September 30, 2021 marks the first designated Day for Truth and Reconciliation. 

Pat McCabe Speaks ✨

On this day we have chosen, designated, as “Orange Shirt Day,” a day to acknowledge and co-witness - at last - the actions, the consciousness, the moral downfall, that took place in the residential boarding schools set up for the kidnapped children of indigenous peoples, such that we would now be finding large pits on the premises of these “schools” filled with the skeletons of thousands of children’s bodies, on this day, I must be very mindful. 

It is my understanding that I walk in a “free will construct.“ This means that what I choose to do with my will is perhaps the most powerful influence I have. Part of the expression of my will is my consent. What do I consent to? What do I dissent to? As it turns out, it matters hugely. Like gravity, Spiritual law bows to the forces of my will, and is ever accounting for how my will interacts with the will of those around me: Human Will, Plant Will, Four-Legged Will, the Will of the Water, and more. It is quite the set up. Every living being has the will to enact life, or every living being has sovereignty, and each will is independent of every other will, and yet all of our actions, even our presence, our choices for the use of our will, affects every other being. I have been calling this dynamic, the ultimate three-legged-race.

It has been proposed to me that part of the spiritual law around free will is that no one being’s will may overtake, over power, another being’s will without an accounting coming due. So it is very important for me to be aware of where that line is at all times, how is my will allowing every other free will? Is my will encroaching on another’s free will? Is any other’s free will encroaching on my will? 

This is such a powerful gift that has been given to each one, the use of our will, and our consent, in all of our relating and activities, and yet in the authoritarian, hierarchical, power-over-paradigm way that most of us have been subjected to through elaborate indoctrination (including those residential boarding schools), we are led away from this amazing spiritual gift, this power that has been granted to each one of us. We are instead led to believe that we have few choices, that there are many, many forces that have the right to overpower our choices, our ability to live, the manner in which we live, and which may also violate the very earth that gives us life. We are taught that this is a “given.” But it is not. Everything, every action, ultimately, must gain our consent or it is in violation of spiritual law and every infraction of this spiritual law requires an accounting. 

Each individual has so much power, what happens when you talk each one out of that power? How do you do that? You do that, by making each one believe the “given.“ It is a “given” that we relinquish our will and our power frequently, says all of the indoctrinating systems we are embedded within. If we accept this as true, then we give our consent, wholesale, to that construct and all of its demands. We no longer have to engage with our own free will, our choices, our consents and dissents, very much at all after that acquiescence (and there is some relief in that). This is where we stand at the moment by and large as a species: Duped into forfeiting our greatest power and spiritual gift given, for navigating a free will construct, on an Earth of Wisdom, Radical Abundance and Fearless Generosity, endless Creativity and Beauty, a mirror of ourselves. 

The firm declaration of my consent or dissent in the face of the illusion of towering, authoritarian, power seems flimsy from my indoctrinated mindset. “It does not matter whether I give my consent or not,“ says the narrative, “they are just going to do it anyway, what’s the point?” It turns out there is a very important point. My consent or dissent actually determines the course of the future, and sometimes the present, and for that matter, sometimes even into the past. They also, the would-be authoritarians, are deceived into thinking that they have that power when they do not. All of their brute force tactics, all of their lying and stealing in its many, many forms, is a boomerang. And so they will likely step over the line, the boundary, of my consent, but this will set into motion vast wheels of consequence and destiny. That’s how I like to imagine it now: vast wheels of consequence and destiny. I may not get to witness this accounting with these brown, human, eyes, but I am told, it will come. There is no other way. It is as certain and impartial as gravity.

This is how I am oriented when I look at this day of acknowledgment of how brutal, heartless, cruel, depraved, humanity can become when we are deceived out of the true nature of reality, when we do not understand the construct that we are placed within, when we misunderstand Power, and try to have it where there is none. I ask of myself today, how shall I set my powerful gift of free will into motion on this day? Do I consent to make myself relative only to those horrific events of the past? Do I want to disregard Spiritual law, and try to bring about an accounting by imposing my will over the will of others? What is the highest possibility for Life, Light, and Love, that I can contribute to with my will on this day?

Spirit has told me that I am an experiment. The kidnapping of native children, brutalizing them, and imprisoning them, in these “schools,” forcing them into a knowledge system and an indoctrination that was foreign to them, and to their branches of humanity, was a massive violation of spiritual law of one will overcoming the will of others. And there is an accounting that must come due for it. Perhaps this is what we are witnessing now. There are choices to be made by each one of us relative to these events. How shall we view them? How shall they lead another powerful spiritual gift that we have been given, our emotions? How shall they affect our thoughts, and dreams, and actions? Do they inhibit us and cause us to contract? Can they open us to new possibilities that cause us to soar? Who says? Who do I look to, to know how I am “supposed to act, think, feel?” Why? What does life ask of me at this moment? How does the co-witnessing of the discovery of these bodies align with what life is asking of me in this moment?

My grandparents and parents went to missionary residential boarding schools. I am the first generation who was not subjected to that particular process. This is why Spirit says that I am an experiment. The experiment is to see who I will be, what my choices will be, what my vistas are able to hold, given that I am surrounded by those who were subjected to such a deep violation. The truth is, I was not subjected to this violation. I did not literally experience that will overtaking my will. I do not have that accounting coming due to me. But is the momentum of it enough to sweep me into the flash flood breakage and debris swirling in the human psyche as these graphic violations are unearthed and put on display? My free will is being actively seduced by this opportunity for rage, despair, anxiety, revenge, hate, to identify inappropriately, with those who were in the battle of wills. Spirit says to me, you were not there. You are not subject to those mathematics. You are accountable for your life, for your time, and for the events you find yourself in, right now. Spirit has said, those children have already paid the price, you do not need to pay it again. Do not jump into the grave with them, if you would meet your own time and your own circumstances.

This input is somewhat disruptive to my story, my belief, my consent to, “intergenerational trauma.” Also to my story of loyalty. Also to a fundamental way in which I have been lead to hold my cultural identity. If it were coming from any other source, it would be hard for me to entertain, much less allow it to begin to reshape me.

Because this was the named day, it has brought me to the point of giving an answer. My answer is, I am loyal to Earth, I am loyal to Life, I am loyal to serving a Future that is trying to find its opening among us. I bless the spirits of those who went before me with my prayers for their peace and solace. I bless the spirits of the children, and I bless the spirits of their violators as well. I will look for every way to further Life, to uphold the Honor of Being Human being, and I will listen for my identity outside of the events of the past only. Who does Mother Earth need me to be right now? Who does Spirit ask me to be right now? Who has Spirit made possible, in me, right now? I will listen for my identity in the Future that is arriving. I give my will to the answers to these questions at this time.

Photo by Daniel A. Brown

1ACEA38C-EF74-4A30-B7E4-437641DBFE20.jpeg

• LIKE/LOVE 11
  • WHAT/WOW! 1
  • THANK YOU! 10

1 hour ago, Maureen said:

Pat McCabe Speaks ✨

Wow! @Maureen Would you mind sharing the link / website this came from, please?  
I'd love to see more of what she's written earlier in September 2021, as this month has unfolded and things move from cynicism into martyrdom.

• LIKE/LOVE 9

• PRIEST
1 hour ago, WolfAmethyst said:

Wow! @Maureen Would you mind sharing the link / website this came from, please?  
I'd love to see more of what she's written earlier in September 2021, as this month has unfolded and things move from cynicism into martyrdom.

@WolfAmethyst, it’s from her FB page. Just look for Pat McCabe. 

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • THANK YOU! 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, Troy said:

CHIEF FEATURES: Martyrdom (emphasized Oct - Dec)

SEPTEMBER continues through an exploration of Cynicism, or the perspective of contradiction that tries to see what is the least obvious or that which is opposite of what is obvious. 

The most significant shift is likely to come toward the end of September as the Chief Feature of the year, Martyrdom begins being emphasized. We will explore the subject of Martyrdom in more detail in the months ahead, but we will point out now that this Chief Feature is all about fearing the loss of control of one’s space, which includes one’s body, autonomy, mobility, freedom, resources, environment, etc. 

As our students may have already assessed, the world is in a prime position to explore this loss of control. At the moment, we cannot see if this exploration leads toward panic and overreaction or toward assessment and heightened responsibility.

For those who wish to aim for assessment and responsibility, there are two major shifts that need to occur, both internally and externally. This shift is one that moves individuals and populations out of positions of passive power where there is hope that someone else will save the day and into positions of active power where there is confidence in all of you who will save the day.

Facebook ‘tearing our societies apart’: key excerpts from a whistleblower (Oct 4th article from UK's The Guardian)

Frances Haugen tells US news show why she decided to reveal inside story about social networking firm

Frances Haugen’s interview with the US news programme 60 Minutes contained a litany of damning statements about Facebook. Haugen, a former Facebook employee who had joined the company to help it combat misinformation, told the CBS show the tech firm prioritised profit over safety and was “tearing our societies apart”.

Haugen will testify in Washington on Tuesday, as political pressure builds on Facebook. Here are some of the key excerpts from Haugen’s interview.

Choosing profit over the public good

Haugen’s most cutting words echoed what is becoming a regular refrain from politicians on both sides of the Atlantic: that Facebook puts profit above the wellbeing of its users and the public.

“The thing I saw at Facebook over and over again was there were conflicts of interest between what was good for the public and what was good for Facebook. And Facebook, over and over again, chose to optimise for its own interests, like making more money.”

She also accused Facebook of endangering public safety by reversing changes to its algorithm once the 2020 presidential election was over, allowing misinformation to spread on the platform again. “And as soon as the election was over, they turned them [the safety systems] back off or they changed the settings back to what they were before, to prioritise growth over safety. And that really feels like a betrayal of democracy to me.”

Facebook’s approach to safety compared with others

In a 15-year career as a tech professional, Haugen, 37, has worked for companies including Google and Pinterest but she said Facebook had the worst approach to restricting harmful content. She said: “I’ve seen a bunch of social networks and it was substantially worse at Facebook than anything I’d seen before.” Referring to Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s founder and chief executive, she said: “I have a lot of empathy for Mark. And Mark has never set out to make a hateful platform. But he has allowed choices to be made where the side-effects of those choices are that hateful, polarising content gets more distribution and more reach.

Instagram and Mental Health

The document leak that had the greatest impact was a series of research slides that showed Facebook’s Instagram app was damaging the mental health and wellbeing of some teenage users, with 32% of teenage girls feeling that it made dissatisfaction with their body worse.

She said: “And what’s super tragic is Facebook’s own research says, as these young women begin to consume this eating disorder content, they get more and more depressed. And it actually makes them use the app more. And so, they end up in this feedback cycle where they hate their bodies more and more. Facebook’s own research says it is not just that Instagram is dangerous for teenagers, that it harms teenagers, it’s that it is distinctly worse than other forms of social media.”

Facebook has described the Wall Street Journal’s reporting on the slides as a “mischaracterisation” of its research.

Why Haugen leaked the documents

Haugen said “person after person” had attempted to tackle Facebook’s problems but had been ground down. “Imagine you know what’s going on inside of Facebook and you know no one on the outside knows. I knew what my future looked like if I continued to stay inside of Facebook, which is person after person after person has tackled this inside of Facebook and ground themselves to the ground.”

Having joined the company in 2019, Haugen said she decided to act this year and started copying tens of thousands of documents from Facebook’s internal system, which she believed show that Facebook is not, despite public comments to the contrary, making significant progress in combating online hate and misinformation . “At some point in 2021, I realised, ‘OK, I’m gonna have to do this in a systemic way, and I have to get out enough that no one can question that this is real.’”

Facebook and violence

Haugen said the company had contributed to ethnic violence, a reference to Burma. In 2018, following the massacre of Rohingya Muslims by the military, Facebook admitted that its platform had been used to “foment division and incite offline violence” relating to the country. Speaking on 60 Minutes, Haugen said: “When we live in an information environment that is full of angry, hateful, polarising content it erodes our civic trust, it erodes our faith in each other, it erodes our ability to want to care for each other. The version of Facebook that exists today is tearing our societies apart and causing ethnic violence around the world.”

Facebook and the Washington riot

The 6 January riot, when crowds of rightwing protesters stormed the Capitol, came after Facebook disbanded the Civic Integrity team of which Haugen was a member. The team, which focused on issues linked to elections around the world, was dispersed to other Facebook units following the US presidential election. “They told us: ‘We’re dissolving Civic Integrity.’ Like, they basically said: ‘Oh good, we made it through the election. There wasn’t riots. We can get rid of Civic Integrity now.’ Fast-forward a couple months, we got the insurrection. And when they got rid of Civic Integrity, it was the moment where I was like, ‘I don’t trust that they’re willing to actually invest what needs to be invested to keep Facebook from being dangerous.’”

The 2018 algorithm change

Facebook changed the algorithm on its news feed – Facebook’s central feature, which supplies users with a customised feed of content such as friends’ photos and news stories – to prioritise content that increased user engagement. Haugen said this made divisive content more prominent.

“One of the consequences of how Facebook is picking out that content today is it is optimising for content that gets engagement, or reaction. But its own research is showing that content that is hateful, that is divisive, that is polarising – it’s easier to inspire people to anger than it is to other emotions.” She added: “Facebook has realised that if they change the algorithm to be safer, people will spend less time on the site, they’ll click on less ads, they’ll make less money.”

Haugen said European political parties contacted Facebook to say that the news feed change was forcing them to take more extreme political positions in order to win users’ attention. Describing polititicians’ concerns, she said: “You are forcing us to take positions that we don’t like, that we know are bad for society. We know if we don’t take those positions, we won’t win in the marketplace of social media.”

In a statement to 60 Minutes, Facebook said: “Every day our teams have to balance protecting the right of billions of people to express themselves openly with the need to keep our platform a safe and positive place. We continue to make significant improvements to tackle the spread of misinformation and harmful content. To suggest we encourage bad content and do nothing is just not true. If any research had identified an exact solution to these complex challenges, the tech industry, governments, and society would have solved them a long time ago.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/04/facebook-tearing-our-societies-apart-key-excerpts-from-a-whistleblower-frances-haugen 

• LIKE/LOVE 9
  • THANK YOU! 2

How ‘losing friend to misinformation’ drove Facebook whistleblower (Oct 4th article from UK's The Guardian)

Frances Haugen was frustrated that Facebook was not publicly acknowledging the harm its platforms could cause

Frances Haugen, the whistleblower behind a series of damaging revelations about Facebook, is adamant that she wants to help the social media company and not foment hatred of it.

The 37-year-old leaked tens of thousands of internal company documents after becoming frustrated that Facebook was not publicly acknowledging the harm its platforms could cause.

“If people just hate Facebook more because of what I’ve done, then I’ve failed. I believe in truth and reconciliation – we need to admit reality. The first step of that is documentation,” she told the Wall Street Journal, which revealed the documents in its Facebook Files series.

In her final message on Facebook’s internal system, posted when she left in May, she wrote: “I don’t hate Facebook. I love Facebook. I want to save it.”

Haugen, born and raised in Iowa by a doctor father and a mother who gave up an academic career to become an episcopalian priest, said it was a lost friendship that changed her view of social media.

Haugen was a successful tech professional with a CV that included stints at Pinterest and Google but a decade ago she was diagnosed with celiac disease, an autoimmune condition, and in 2014 entered an intensive care unit with a blood clot in her thigh. A family friend was hired to help her with daily tasks such as shopping but their relationship deteriorated as he became obsessed with online forums touting conspiracy theories about dark forces manipulating politics.

“It was a really important friendship, and then I lost him,” she told the WSJ. The former friend has since abandoned his conspiratorial beliefs, which had dragged him into a world of the occult and white nationalism. But it changed Haugen’s career.

“It’s one thing to study misinformation, it’s another to lose someone to it,” she said. “A lot of people who work on these products only see the positive side of things.”

So when a Facebook recruiter approached Haugen in 2018, she said she wanted a job that related to democracy and the spread of false information. That led to a role in 2019 as a product manager in Facebook’s civic integrity team, which looks at election interference around the world.

The group was disbanded after the 2020 US presidential poll and Haugen contacted the WSJ soon after, her dismay deepening after the 6 January riot in Washington. Facebook has said it “invested heavily” in people and technology to make its platform safe, but Haugen believed the company was not doing enough to combat misinformation.

“Facebook acted like it was powerless to staff these teams,” she said.

Reacting to Haugen’s comment, Facebook said: “Hosting hateful or harmful content is bad for our community, bad for advertisers, and ultimately, bad for our business.” On Tuesday, Haugen will appear in front of US lawmakers to reiterate her argument that Facebook did not do enough to stop the hate and harm.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/04/how-friend-lost-to-misinformation-drove-facebook-whistleblower-frances-haugen 

• LIKE/LOVE 14
  • THANK YOU! 2

I‘m not surprised. Facebook is an immoral company; many former employees have blown the whistle (especially in regards to Cambridge Analytica and manipulated elections) before to no real avail. I really hope this changes something now finally. It used to be great to stay connected to people. I wish it would go back there again without all the ads and hidden manipulations.

… and now, interestingly enough, just shortly after the interview Facebook is down for a lot of people worldwide, as well as WhatsApp and Instagram… 

Honi soit qui mal y pense 😛

3312EF40-3240-48AD-8A97-95C8D49297BF.jpeg

• LIKE/LOVE 10
  • THANK YOU! 2

Thank you @WolfAmethyst for the information  from the UK Guardian re Frances Haugen! She was also interviewed on 60 minutes just yesterday. The interview segment runs about 13 1/2 minutes. It is worth watching. I thought I’d add the link here as well:

• LIKE/LOVE 6
  • THANK YOU! 4

If I could find a platform with even half as many of my friends/family on it, I'd switch over in a second. Unfortunately the stupid thing is so big, it's kind of the only game in town at present. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

On 9/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, Maureen said:

Pat McCabe Speaks ✨

Powerful. I felt a sense of utter alignment reading that. Thanks for sharing @Maureen!

• LIKE/LOVE 10

A touching story between a gorilla and her human companion. I teared up while reading it.

"But in a public statement, Mr. Bauma said that getting to know Ndakasi had “helped me to understand the connection between humans and great apes and why we should do everything in our power to protect them.”

“I loved her like a child,” he added, “and her cheerful personality brought a smile to my face every time I interacted with her.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/07/world/africa/ndakasi-the-mountain-gorilla-selfie.html

gorilla-human-bond.jpg

Edited by Jeroen
  • LIKE/LOVE 14
  • THANK YOU! 7

Wonder if there's a shift going on-super intense dream activity. @Connor showed up and we were trying to figure out which was the best spot in this ridiculously large mansion for something or other.  Maybe it was a library nook? It needed furnishing, I remember that much.

I should mention it didn't seem to belong to us, more that we were helping out and it was going to be a space for general use. 

Edited by Juni
  • LIKE/LOVE 13
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

Wow @Juni this is quite interesting that you are dreaming about @Connor too!

For the last 4 nights he shows up in my dreams, I thought not much about it and forgot during the day, from last night I remember he was re-packing in a large building/room stuff into black tube shaped containers, and I came in saying, Connor what are you doing I thought we are done with this.

I have to sleep a lot since a week or so.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • WHAT/WOW! 6

There is something going on, we need Energy Report for October. I have dreamed horrible nightmares and also solving various problems every night. 

• LIKE/LOVE 14

Ive had horrible energy crashes and debilitating thoughts myself, but my friends, family and TLE too have been very supportive so I was able to dig myself out. Your comments on my recent posts have been helpful in keeping me optimistic.

October 31-November 12 is the next Climate Summit and something tells me that it and our response to it, is the next major event.

The event would have happened in November 2020 (same time as the US Election), but Covid-19 derailed it.

I'm very curious and interested in the promotion and propagation of climate and environmental solutions.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 13
  • THANK YOU! 3

22 hours ago, Katja said:

There is something going on, we need Energy Report for October. I have dreamed horrible nightmares and also solving various problems every night. 

Agree! I remember dreams only once or twice a year, and last night was one of those nights. My dream/busy brain/sleep thief was the number 750. I kept fiddling with that number, like trying to fit it, or 750 units of something, into boxes and bags and they wouldn't fit. I was frustrated when I woke up because I don't understand the significance of that number. And 750 was very insistent that I figure it out. Any ideas?

• LIKE/LOVE 11

Yes, very vivid and stressful dreams the past few nights. Multiple dream sequences. Feeling like I've run a marathon in my sleep.

Also wondering if it's a shift or Nexus. 

• LIKE/LOVE 11

I had an interesting dream last night. It seemed like I was in ancient Egypt with @DianeHB 

you didn't look exactly like 'you', but she had similar vibes that when I think of the dream I feel like it was certainly you.

I think we were sisters.

there was a glass pyramid structure and everyone in the village went to the top of the pyramid and jumped through a hole. They believed that it was the passage to the afterlife and they wouldn't die if they jumped. Me and Diane were the last ones there and she insisted that we go too. I told her the others were stupid for going and there's no way I'm gonna jump. She told me she 'knew' that we wouldn't die and dragged me kicking and screaming 😂 

And what do you know, we woke up in the future!

maybe in the present time or a couple hundred years later from now, it wasn't really clear. 

Edited by Zahra
  • LIKE/LOVE 5
  • WHAT/WOW! 4
  • LOL 6

On 10/15/2021 at 4:20 AM, KurtisM said:

October 31-November 12 is the next Climate Summit and something tells me that it and our response to it, is the next major event.

The event would have happened in November 2020 (same time as the US Election), but Covid-19 derailed it.

I'm very curious and interested in the promotion and propagation of climate and environmental solutions.

The host of Cop26 needs to be a master of diplomacy. Unfortunately, it’s Boris Johnson

Andrew Rawnsley (article in The Guardian, Sat Oct 16th, 2021)

Having promised he could save the world, there’s very little time left to rescue this critical summit from failure

The Queen is not amused. “We only know about people who are not coming,” the monarch was overheard saying. “It is very irritating when they talk, but they don’t do.”

It is not the turnout for a Buck House party that is exasperating her, but the unanswered invitations to the Cop26 climate summit that will meet in Glasgow in November. With just a fortnight to go, it is still not clear whether the leaders of China, India or Russia will even turn up, never mind agree to do anything meaningful to address the climate crisis.

There is still just about time for one or more of them to send in a last-gasp RSVP, but their reluctance to engage is one of many anxieties for a host who has previously raised expectations that this summit will be a world-saving triumph. When Boris Johnson addressed the UN general assembly in September, he exported to the global stage the boosterism that is so familiar to his domestic audience. From the UN podium in New York, he declared that Cop26 would be “the turning point for humanity”.

That sounded like hyperbole unanchored from reality even as he said it. Someone with a better grasp of the geopolitics of the climate crisis and its fiendishly complex challenges would have used more tempered language. For many people, Cop26 is already doomed to let down the planet because no one ever had any serious expectation that this summit would agree to targets for cutting carbon emissions that are robust enough to prevent destructive levels of global warming. The more limited, but nevertheless critical, ambition for this gathering is to extract promises that would get the world closer to being on track to containing global warming to no more than 1.5C above pre-industrial levels. That was the goal set in the groundbreaking Paris climate deal in 2015

In the run-up to the Glasgow summit, we have been told by Mr Johnson that the climate crisis is his number one priority. It is moot how much he is sincerely animated by the fate of the planet. In a previous incarnation as a rightwing newspaper columnist, he was noisily sceptical about the existence of climate change and ridiculed wind power as too feeble to knock the skin off a rice pudding. But in his own self-interest, if nothing else, he needs this summit to be seen as a success. Here is an opportunity to demonstrate that Brexit Britain has the capacity to provide international leadership on the most severe threat to the planet.

Success has always been contingent on Mr Johnson getting several things right. Britain’s credibility as the host and ability to persuade others to change their behaviour depended on this country being an exemplar. Yet the government’s full plan to show how Britain will reach net zero by 2050 has still not been published. That’s because there are ferocious rows within government about how to finance it and whether voters will tolerate the ways in which they will have to change their lives. As we reveal today, the Treasury is highly resistant to the costs of greening the economy.

Britain did the reverse of setting a good example when Liz Truss, now the foreign secretary, recently signed a draft trade deal with Australia that scrubbed out key pledges on climate action. The deep cuts to the international aid budget have undermined the UK’s moral authority with developing countries. The effort to persuade others to wean themselves off fossil fuels hasn’t been helped by decisions to go ahead with new oil and gas production in the North Sea, while not ruling out a new coal plant in Cumbria.

Making a success of this summit demanded a first-class talent for diplomacy. A key role of the host is to charm and cajole other governments to do dramatically better at cutting their output of greenhouse gases. In advance of Glasgow, all countries were expected to set out updated, detailed and stricter plans to reduce emissions. The G20 group of the largest economies is collectively responsible for more than 80% of annual global emissions. Only 11 of the G20 have submitted stronger targets to the UN, with just two weeks to go. China, Russia, Brazil and Australia are among the countries that have not. John Kerry, the US climate envoy, has rather depressingly suggested that the summit will be about finding out “who is doing their fair share and who isn’t”. This raises the spectre that it will be less about agreement-signing than finger-pointing.

Richer countries have acknowledged that, since they bear overwhelming responsibility for global warming, they owe a debt to poorer countries, many of whom will be the worst affected by a fried planet. More than a decade has passed since the wealthy world promised to provide $100bn a year by 2020 to help developing countries alleviate and adapt to climate change. There are still no assurances that this pledge will be fully redeemed.

The mood music within government has turned gloomier in recent days. There is a rising fear that Glasgow will dismally underdeliver, like the previous Cop in Madrid in 2019. In that disastrous event, it will not be fair to assign all the culpability to Mr Johnson and his government. The UK is an upper middling country, not a superpower. London has some influence in the world, but not the clout to force behemoths such as China and the US to sign up to things they don’t want to commit to. Yet a rotten outcome will inevitably reflect badly on Mr Johnson and make his rhetoric about “Global Britain” ring the more hollow.

Failure will also raise questions about whether Britain has made the most of its “convening power” as the host and maximised the use of what international influence it does possess. Experienced officials have long thought that the government has had a halfhearted approach to this summit and draw unflattering contrasts with the successful Paris Cop. That secured an unprecedented agreement because wealthy western countries made an alliance with poorer states to intensify pressure on the large emitters. There has been an absence of this kind of vital coalition-forging in the build up to Glasgow.

The Paris Cop was co-ordinated by one of the heaviest hitters that France could muster. Laurent Fabius was a former foreign minister and prime minister of France. The role demands someone with international name recognition and a phone crammed with the numbers of lots of world leaders. Having tried and failed to recruit David Cameron or William Hague as the showrunner of Cop26, Mr Johnson handed the task to Alok Sharma, one of the more anonymous members of his government. Until quite recently, he did the job part time, combining it with the position of business secretary. This did not convey a real seriousness of intent to other players. In recent days, Mr Sharma has started lecturing the leaders of the world’s largest economies not to treat the gathering as “a photo-op or a talking shop” and warned that “if temperatures continue to rise we will step through a series of one-way doors, the end destination of which is climate catastrophe”. He’s completely right about that, but this outburst of public exhortation suggests a degree of desperation about the progress of the private diplomacy.

Summits are called such because they are supposed to represent international negotiation at its peak level. They do not succeed without intense amounts of application by the leader of the host country. In 2009, the G20 was convened in London amid the convulsions of the financial crisis. Before the event, Gordon Brown crisscrossed the globe on a mission to persuade his counterparts that it was imperative to take big measures to stabilise plunging financial markets. When it was proving difficult to get the 2005 meeting of the G8 in Gleneagles to sign up to international aid agreements, Tony Blair went in search of Gerhard Schröder, the then German chancellor and one of the obstructionists. Finding him in the hotel bar having a nightcap with Vladimir Putin, Mr Blair put Mr Schröder up against a wall until he gave in.

Mr Johnson has poor relations with other European leaders, a cool one with the US president and a distant one with the leaders of China and India. That made it more, not less imperative, that he put in the hard yards of international diplomacy to try to make a success of this summit. Yet there’s scant evidence that he has thrown himself at it with the all-out vigour demanded by the scale of the challenge and now there’s very little time left. If the Cop is a flop, the host will cop a lot of the blame.

Andrew Rawnsley is Chief Political Commentator of the Observer

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5q1J62tHuXMJ:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/16/host-of-cop26-needs-to-be-master-of-diplomacy-unfortunately-its-boris-johnson+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=safari 

• LIKE/LOVE 3
  • SAD 2

@WolfAmethyst
Thanks for that. I would be surprised if the actual "world leaders" at the summit managed to make something half decent about mitigating climate change by reducing global emissions.

I more so think that the importance of the event has to do with what people do in response to it. With the fragility of our collective consciousness right now, the event could just serve as another justification that "No one is listening, we're doomed, what's the point, we suck."
But it does not have to be that way, and this is the key.

How we perceive the event and use our voices and choices to demand change does more good than merely saying "Oh well, we never had a chance anyways." Because the latter leads to what we don't want, and the former creates a path to what we do.

Honestly I just don't want us to resign. We have a chance to change, not just through our actions, but by starting with how we see and justify things to continue detrimental patterns.

That said, Id love if the world leaders got their heads out of their self-preserving asses and just listened. Not only would others lives better, but so would theirs, which is what they want anyways.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 9

• Troy unfeatured this topic