DEPRESSION - Michael quotes and links

Ingun

Below are some quotes and links I've collected to sessions on TLE with the topic of Depression:

Are Pleasure, Pain, Happiness, Sadness etc. States of Mind, or are they Illusions? - March 2000:

[nemo999] What are the most common states of mind? Pleasure, pain, depression, sadness, happiness, attention, boredom … are these states of mind or are they illusion?

[Michael_Entity]
This set of descriptions are only conveniences to describe whatever a person interprets as their reality in the moment. They are highly subjective and can refer to either illusions or what you have called ‘states of mind.’ They are all ‘real’ to a person experiencing.

The definition of ‘illusion,’ or Maya as we prefer, is in the apparent indulgence in a ‘truth’ that is subjectively inappropriate for the fragment. There are some Maya that are shared collectively, some that are individual.

Despite the fact that Personal Truth will render all of these experiences “real”, we will share a little of our perception.

Depression from your list can be considered a collective ‘illusion,’ and one that is a deep indulgence in Maya, though very ‘real’ when inside of it. Depression is a resigned stance toward the life, an emotional suicide based on one or more of the Chief Features. This is not a judgment. When one is in Depression, we differentiate this from Grief. Depression is literally the consistent and insistent effort to reject the life. If Depression is being experienced, acknowledge that you are where you are in your experience, and ask for help. Depression is one of many Maya that creates a situation where intervention from outside forces is required.

Pain from your list can be either Maya or “real”, but is always a symptom of resistance or friction, which we do not see as inherently good or bad, merely resistance to some Growth. Pleasure is always a symptom of higher awareness and connection to Essence. Sadness can be either, though if tears are involved, recognition of a truth on some level is occurring. If there are no tears, this is most likely a form of Depression. Boredom is always a symptom of Maya and is a literal self-lie to remove responsibility. When Boredom is indulged in, you are living in a space of time that was created from want of “having more time”, then when it arrives, you seek to fill it. This all happens because creation on the Physical Plane is denser and slower, therefore the space and time sought “shows up”, but sometimes out of synch with your faster moving mind. Making a note that Boredom is a sign of forgetting your original intentions can help make more of that time. It is not required, of course, that you continue with your original intentions, but release the judgments about EXPERIENCING the slowing of time and take a moment to stop. When we say this is a self-lie to remove responsibility, we mean this in terms of being able to respond, not in terms of discipline.

The Nature and Origin of Depression, July 2001:

[ClaireN] Would Michael please comment on the nature and origin of depression and any suggestions to overcome it?

[Michael_Enitity] The nature of depression is in the insistence to resist the life force of that life, a resignation and emotional suicide. Its origins, of course, are in the Chief Feature of the individual.

Depression is one of a few, but serious, experiences wherein the life is learning much about ASKING for help. There is no other solution for depression except in the asking for, acceptance of, and openness to help.

Depression is usually the result of severe neglect from sources expected to be foundations for that fragment. In nearly all cases we have seen, there is a consistent belief that the fragment is utterly alone, which is linked directly to the removal of or lack of a profound source within that life.

Depression is Grief without Truth. Grief is the healing of Truths realized, but depression is the lack of realizing those truths.

Although herbal and synthetic substances can balance the chemical makeup of the brain to allow other thought processes, they are only temporary tools. The fragment must learn to reevaluate where in the life a true source can be counted on, namely the self, which can then be extended from there. This reevaluation requires outside support, though, and it is not a weakness to allow strong compassion and empathy to come into the life when depressed. We will clarify “source” here as meaning anything that fragment has labeled consciously or unconsciously as being an archetypal, literal, or symbolic Mother or Father.

Though this topic can be delved into far more, this is a relevant and appropriate response for now.

From Michael Speaks, April 2004

[mdfsage] What can we do for folks who are caught up in depression, physical pain, pulling back during this period?

[Michael_Entity] Depression is inwardly-directed anger. It is a lack of self-permission to feel or express that anger, and the anger is usually rooted in a lack of permission to experience a basic Right. During the next month or so, it may be a healthy opportunity to gently encourage steps toward some basic Rights one might have deemed “wrong” to pursue or allow.

In terms of physical pain, this would require a more specific look at the individual.

For people who may be linking depression, physical pain, and “pulling back”, all together during this time, it can be most helpful to ask the individual what he/she wants/needs. This may not be an easy question to answer.

It may be of help for you to keep in mind the 7 Basic Rights of any Sentient Being. If you can help bring the experience of that Right to a person who has resisted it, then healing can be profound and quick. Troy will include the details in your transcript.  The 7 Basic Rights   Tending To Your 7 Basic Rights

Depression versus Joy, Nov 2007

[AnnH] According to Abraham, it’s difficult for us to go from depression to joy in one step. It’s said that moving up the emotional scale is more beneficial. Can Michael add to this?

[AnnH] More beneficial as in truthful, helpful, fewer expectations.

[Michael Entity] We would agree with what has come through the source known as “Abraham.” We have rarely seen evolution occur in “one step,” but have seen all forms of growth or healing as being in steps as part of a process. What we can do to add to what you have already found as beneficial is to describe our observation of the process for movement from the state of depression to the state of joy, but we would caution that it is not a linear process with a conclusive state, but the progress from depression to joy is a natural cycle of experience while having a body and reaching joy does not mean one is then exempt from the troubles of depression.

It is not necessary to avoid or “heal” depression, nor is it necessary to seek only a state of Joy. What will tend to bring a wholeness to the life is the awareness of who “you” are even as you experience those fluctuating feelings. Depression is merely an attachment to one state of feeling and identifying entirely with it, rather than differentiating oneself from the experience of that state. This would be true of joy, too. Joy is a PART of life, not the goal of life. Depression is a PART of life, not a condemnation.

In light of that, our process would be one that describes a process of detachment and a broadening of consciousness, rather than that of a healing or escape from a state of feeling. We will describe this in the final transcript, but the time allotted now does not allow for that. [NOTE FROM TROY: this will come soon, but I have to work on it. It should be done soon!]

Anxiety and Depression, March 2014

[Larissa] Anxiety seems to be a growing struggle for many these days. I understand that anxiety relates to fears/focus on the future while depression is a focus on the past. For a person who has difficulty identifying that they are in fact competent and understanding ‘why’ they feel overwhelmed/anxious/fearful, what tools can we use for ourselves or to assist a person in uncovering contributors to anxiety and help to shift our/their anxiety from a negative and debilitating concern to one that can be more easily understood and navigated, and eventually leads to our/their “recovery” (for lack of a better word), neutrality, or and/or healing? Any additional insight you can share on the topic is welcome and appreciated.

MEntity:
First, we will say that Depression can also be about the future, but is a more resigned position from that of anxiety. Anxiety would like to regain control, while Depression may have resigned that there is no control. In both cases, an underlying issue is the same: one cannot find themselves in any position of beneficial influence in their internal stories, images, possibilities, etc.

The conditions you describe could be more of a syndrome than a mood, so it is also important for us to note here that a response from us in broader terms may not be able to address the mix of issues that contribute to one's anxiety or depression.

In general, the healing measures that can help would begin with a return to some semblence of control. Since both Anxiety and Depression are about helplessness, it can be beneficial to direct the attention toward some area in which that person can rekindle his or her sense of control.

Often that redirection of attention can be in the most surprising of ways that then cascades a return to confidence across the spectrum.

For example, arranging a bouquet of flowers in a vase. This may seem useless, but that focus on such beauty and how one can enhance it with some nurturing moves, can be quite healing.

Or an effort to smile. This can seem useless, as well, but making the concerted effort to smile, and then holding that for 30 seconds, can help ignite the sense of levity and energy that would be useful for dealing with the anxiety or depression.

So, as a general response, we can only suggest here that ANY return of participation in ANY action that brings a sense of contribution and control is useful here. We would suggest not dismissing even the silliest or most "useless" of efforts.

These add up.

Add 5 of these little events to the day of one who is depressed or anxious, and it can turn around that day.

Other suggestions: petting of animals; playing with children; repairing something minor; singing the "abc song;" counting; making time to sit under a tree; etc.

Other links:

Depression is another form of anger.....

MMW - Post Turning Point Empowerment, Oct 2016

Anxiety, Depression and Healing Dreams, December 2014 (Maureen)

My Wounding, March 2017 (DanielaS)

Fear of Seccess, Depression and Honouring Your Trust, Apil 2018 (SharvariJ)

Jeroen's session from May 2018 has for instance some info on the difference between grief and depression

Private session, Nov 2019 (Christian)

My Depression, Sept 2021 (Tincha)

Edited by Ingun
  • LIKE/LOVE 9
  • THANK YOU! 12

Wow. @Ingun This is so timely for me, personally.  I've been feeling myself slipping into a funk of depression the past week or so, today being the most difficult to pull myself out of...

Thank you so much for all the links; I will definitely be doing some reading today. 

I'm going through some big changes in my life, and one of those changes is a reduction in easy access to employer-provided health care (free monthly counseling services, health insurance, etc) due to changing from full time to part-time(irregular) status.

I feel more freedom is in my future, but the loss of that particular safety net is scary. I've been doing very well the past year and half, managing without needing to access those perks and even slowly decreasing the quantity of daily anti-depressants I take, but lately I've been struggling and it's not the best timing for depression to get a foot-hold.

These few bits are very helpful and encouraging:

4 hours ago, Ingun said:

Depression can also be about the future, but is a more resigned position from that of anxiety. Anxiety would like to regain control, while Depression may have resigned that there is no control.

I'm the one who made these decisions that throw me into an uncertain future, but that doesn't stop some part of me from feeling like I'm losing complete control of the way my future goes from this point forward

4 hours ago, Ingun said:

In general, the healing measures that can help would begin with a return to some semblance of control

. . .

we can only suggest here that ANY return of participation in ANY action that brings a sense of contribution and control is useful here. We would suggest not dismissing even the silliest or most "useless" of efforts.

So now, I have the feeling that I need to find where in my life I can take control, and actually stick with it! I'm thinking in the upkeep of my physical health as that's a pain-point for me when my depression really gets ramped up.

• LIKE/LOVE 12

I thought about making the compilation for a long time, but somehow the momentum wasn't there.... but today I decided to dig for the links and info and finally get it together. There might be at least one more session, but I can eventually find it later.

• LIKE/LOVE 5
  • THANK YOU! 1

@Ingun, thank you. My ex told me just yesterday that he is so depressed he is constantly thinking of suicide. I don't know how i can help him, our relationship is a little raw and he has rejected hearing about Michael for the past 15 years. I'm trying to think of a way i can be useful, but not let it consume me because i can't do that...

• SAD 12

Thank you, there is gems in this topic. I translated it and sent it to my friend, who works as a volunteer at the Day Care Center for Mental Health Patients. Very good insights to depression and anxiety. 

17 hours ago, Ingun said:

Boredom is always a symptom of Maya and is a literal self-lie to remove responsibility. When Boredom is indulged in, you are living in a space of time that was created from want of “having more time”, then when it arrives, you seek to fill it. This all happens because creation on the Physical Plane is denser and slower, therefore the space and time sought “shows up”, but sometimes out of synch with your faster moving mind. Making a note that Boredom is a sign of forgetting your original intentions can help make more of that time. It is not required, of course, that you continue with your original intentions, but release the judgments about EXPERIENCING the slowing of time and take a moment to stop. When we say this is a self-lie to remove responsibility, we mean this in terms of being able to respond, not in terms of discipline.

This one hits me! And my daughter will not like this, she has sooo much boredom in every day 😂

• LIKE/LOVE 9

14 hours ago, Miizle said:

@Ingun, thank you. My ex told me just yesterday that he is so depressed he is constantly thinking of suicide. I don't know how i can help him, our relationship is a little raw and he has rejected hearing about Michael for the past 15 years. I'm trying to think of a way i can be useful, but not let it consume me because i can't do that...

Miizle, I never think of not being able to share the teachings as an obstacle to using the information to help someone. Truth is truth. You don’t have to tell him where it comes from, just say, “I read that…” or “I’m learning that…”. Also, I think listening is the best place to start. 

• LIKE/LOVE 14

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 7:27 AM, Miizle said:

@Miizle

I'm sorry I didn't comment back to you on this for so long, but I hope your ex has got some help in the meantime. If not here are a few thoughts from me.

- I think it's important to acknowledge that he is actually telling you this and not keeping it secret.

- If it's not a depression and hopelessness, it might be experience of loss and grief, or depression and loss overlapping, which he can get professional help with.

- It can be very demanding to help someone dealing with suicidal thoughts, so yes take good care of yourself, but check what you eventually CAN do or are willing to do.

- It is important to listen and emphatise with anyone thinking of suicide, and ask direct and open questions about how they are feeling, and get professional help.

- Get an impression about how acute the situation is, and don't hesitate to make any calls to connect with mental health system and ask for help and guidance there.

- Other explorations could be if the person so far is thinking about suicide only - or ask if he has made a plan or any preparations (or what he has available to carry it out).

- Encourage him to seek professional help asap, and get involved with the health system. Including family and friends in the process is actually also important. They have a chance to help now, instead of regretting or blaming themselves when it was too late.

- Those in crises are often not able to take that step, or they don't know who or where to ask for help, so that's why it's important to actively get that help for them or do it together with them in the process.

- If appointment is made, suggest that someone could go with him, or find someone, or offer to go with him on the first appointment.

- Never think that those talking about suicide will not do it. Talking about it is their asking for help, but many feel so helpless and don't know what the next step could be, and they need someone showing a possible way or pointing to possible paths of help. Those thinking about suicide need to let others help them.

- And last; we can all care in some way for those that experience any kind of loss. We just need to check with ourselves in which way we can care. Never underestimate texting and calling.

What is often related to suicide is loss of health, loss of a loved one or a breakup, loss of network, family, friends and so on, loss of job, money loss of sense of personal security or self-confidence, loss of home, residence, social status... and there are of course many other risk factors that can contribute to that; trauma, isolation, unemployment, much and prolonged adversity... and much more.

• LIKE/LOVE 9

@ingun, thank you very much for your caring post.
Yes, he is dealing with grief, now, and always.... I think he definitely has a priority of Grief. I can see how he sets himself up for disappointment time after time. And even things that to me are nothing, he experiences with great disappointment. There doesn't seem to be much anyone can do about that. Like with me - he created an image in his head that wasn't even real. So the disappointments are multiple when things don't work out - not only do they not work out, but they didn't actually even exist to begin with. He does that with everything. There's only that much i'm willing to do or capable of doing as long as he keeps blaming me for his problems, as well. It's a little complex, but i have some kind of a responsibility to get out of my comfort zone for him, though. I'll read your message better when i have more time. I just reply now quickly because otherwise i might forget.

• LIKE/LOVE 3